PDA

View Full Version : Passrite & the LTSA have pissed me right off!

outlawtorn
21st July 2005, 16:38
For any of you who plan to use Passrite to reduce their waiting time between their restricted and their full license, listen up!

I have done 2 courses through Passrite;
- One to convert my learners into a restricted
- Another one to convert my restricted into a full

I've paid $275 for each course, gave up a full Saturday for each course, only to be told now that I have to wait for 3 months after my restricted to full course because I haven't held a NZ (car) drivers license for 2 years. When I heard this over the phone I literally dropped a bollock. I've held a South African drivers license since 1996 but that doesn't matter, it's because I haven't held a NZ one for two years, nevermind the fucking fact that I've only been in the country for 1 fucking year!!!!!! :mad:

So for all of you who are planning to get their restricted converted to a full please make sure you are aware of all the facts beforehand, because Passrite won't tell you :nono: and the fucking LTSA don't give two shits what license you've had for how long, you HAVE to have had your NZ car drivers license for a minimum of two years. :brick:

:angry2: I'm furious, I can't believe what a fucked up system that is. Does anyone know of someone I can wrtie a letter to in the LTSA to express my dis-satisfaction too or maybe some sort of advice that can help me get out of this shit situation???

aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!! :mad: :angry2:

onearmedbandit
21st July 2005, 16:47
Does mention that fact on their website. Unfortunately does also mention a clean driving record, so that counts me out...

bugjuice
21st July 2005, 16:48
yeah, I can see why you're pissed, but your's is a bit of a unique case, is it not..??
Does suck tho

_Gina_
21st July 2005, 16:49
I emailed passrite to ask about the demerit points situation - check this out...

My email
"Can you please advise whether demerit points will exclude me from applying (successfully) to participate in the Motorcycle CBTA Course?

Kind Regards"

Their reply

"Good Afternoon

Thank you very much for your enquiry free

Yes demerit points do come in to it, If you have anything over 40 dermerit points it can be a striaght out no but you still can apply for it if you like

If you have any more questions please feel free to me at the office on (09) 636-0111

Kind Regards"

I mean, to me that's just out there, they would obviously like me to donate $250.00!!!!

placidfemme
21st July 2005, 17:07
wow that really sucks...

I don't have any drivers license (for a car) so I won't even bother looking into it... would rather wait the full time them pay money for nothing

skidz
21st July 2005, 17:12
Welcome to New Zealand and it's fucked up rules!!!

madboy
21st July 2005, 17:17
I managed to get through the CBTA with demerits and a pretty interesting driving history. Not sure how many current demerits I had at the time though - but usually it's more than 40!

FlyingDutchMan
21st July 2005, 17:56
Girlygirl - you might as well apply, it doesn't cost anything, and the worst they can do is turn you down. I think most people who have applied have gotten on, so I don't think it will be much of an issue.

El Dopa
21st July 2005, 19:12
I've had some dealings with Passrite. I did my basic handling skills there and I wasn't all that impressed. Following subsequent contact with them I'm even less impressed.

I wanted to do a CBTA direct access to get my full early, and they seemed to have the Auckland region sewn up, so I phoned them (several times) to see what was what. I was very enthusiastic about wanting to give them money, but got less and less so after basically getting severely dicked around after applying (but not paying) for the CBTA course.

Now it's 2 months later and it's all academic, as I can sit my full without pissing around through an expensive, half-baked course.

Dunno if I'd go as far as to slag them off to all and sundry, myslef, but I certainly wouldn't recommend them to any other bikers.

jazbug5
21st July 2005, 21:56
You can apply for an exemption from the waiting period, I'm pretty sure.
When I was at LTSA, we were processing heaps of exemption applications from foreign chaps what wanted to be cab drivers; coincidentally, they also have to have held a clean NZ license for two years. You can be granted an exemption to the two year waiting period if you can produce your original foreign license.

There is now a special department in Wellington for processing foreign exemptions- could take 2-3 weeks, but worth a shot? It's a bike-friendly place, by the way.
You apply at AA or VTNZ- but see if you can get them to forward it directly to Wellington, rather than via the regional office. That can really slow things up...

Oh, and you don't send your license with the application- they write to you when they get your application.

Hitcher
21st July 2005, 22:10
Fine print. Always read the fine print.

But Passrite need their arses kicked as well. Presumably there is something about your accent that should have tipped them off, coming from Seth Efrika and all... They should understand the regulations and should have told you. I would be asking for a refund or a free repeat of the course once you have officially been here long enough to meet the residency requirements.

louisb
30th August 2005, 22:32
Yep same here dude. iIve had an australian car drivers licence for 15 years and it made jack all difference... still have to wait for 3 months before going from restricted to full.

boomer
30th August 2005, 23:20
:ride: :woohoo:

Sniper
31st August 2005, 08:42
I just had a look at their pamphlet and can see a neat clause that says

You must have held your Full NZ License for 2 years

Blind spot
31st August 2005, 12:33
stop your bleating and enjoy life man, go for a bike ride and get over it.
Have a nice day anyway

steved
31st August 2005, 12:48
I just had a look at their pamphlet and can see a neat clause that says "You must have held your Full NZ License for 2 years"That is correct. What is a little surprising is that the LTSA allowed Outlawtorn onto the course if he didn't meet the requirements.

Sniper
31st August 2005, 12:49
Thats what I was thinking steved. He should be saying thanks

Devil
31st August 2005, 14:51
I did my restricted to full with Passrite on saturday.
Ahhh I was there too. Red ZR250 who got stuck with the GN's :( (boy was that painfull).

The instructors there seem like great people. Their administrators need flushing and renewing.

outlawtorn
31st August 2005, 17:54
Thats what I was thinking steved. He should be saying thanks
Thanks? I think bloody not! I have paid good money to be on those courses and have held a car driving license since 1996, (South Africa and New Zealand drivings laws are exactly the same, except they kind of obey them here) I should be allowed to do the course irrespective, what good will 2 years of driving experience in NZ do me when I'll be on a bike most of the time. It's all a bit cock-eyed and hasn't been thought through well at all.

But anyway, I finally have my full license now, I'm happy as a pig in shit, I'm test riding loads of bikes (cruisers only) and am looking forward to getting and nice big cruiser over the coming weeks!!!!! Woo hoo!!!

Sniper
31st August 2005, 19:23
I see now, sorry Outlawtorn, I understand where you are coming from

Skyryder
31st August 2005, 19:27
Thanks? I think bloody not! I have paid good money to be on those courses and have held a car driving license since 1996, (South Africa and New Zealand drivings laws are exactly the same, except they kind of obey them here) I should be allowed to do the course irrespective, what good will 2 years of driving experience in NZ do me when I'll be on a bike most of the time. It's all a bit cock-eyed and hasn't been thought through well at all.

But anyway, I finally have my full license now, I'm happy as a pig in shit, I'm test riding loads of bikes (cruisers only) and am looking forward to getting and nice big cruiser over the coming weeks!!!!! Woo hoo!!!

Go and see someone from the Consumers Instatute. They will tell you if you can claim your money back. FAIR GO might also be interested. Nothing like a bit of 'bad press' to make some of these fuckers cough up.

Skyryder

Sniper
31st August 2005, 19:30
Go and see someone from the Consumers Instatute. They will tell you if you can claim your money back. FAIR GO might also be interested. Nothing like a bit of 'bad press' to make some of these fuckers cough up.

Skyryder

Actuall, I have had a bit of dealings with Fair Go, and found them not to act fair at all and leave vital parts out of an "investigation"

steved
1st September 2005, 11:36
Actuall, I have had a bit of dealings with Fair Go, and found them not to act fair at all and leave vital parts out of an "investigation"I agree that Fair Go is an oxymoron.

Back Fire
6th September 2005, 00:49
OMG.... you just saved me $285.... I'm in a worse situation than you. Was about to book a passrite course for late this month and do my full on 26th Oct when my 9 months would have been finished... I have it worse because im only 18 and have never had a drivers license, and god, thes god damn stupid under 25 rules are driving me up the wall... 25+ do your course and any bike you feel... 25+ do you license in stuff all time. I'm and damn good rider why should I suffer...

BTW sorry for hijacking your thread, got a little steamed.

steved
6th September 2005, 08:47
It's all about the statistics. The LTSA (and insurance also) seem unfair when you're young but they always have to make rules for the group, not the individual.