PDA

View Full Version : GN250s are soooooo gutless

ducatilover
21st July 2005, 21:57
man i just got a ginny250 to legally learn on [and my gpz400r ninga [pride and once was joy] just killed its gear box. or maybe i killed it but dats another ramble.] :Punk: i took it for a ride and it was against the wind. so here i was going to pass a truck doing 90 clicks and used its slipstream to get the speed to pass it. so i hit 120 and pulled out and smack! the wind had more power than the bike and it went staight down to 100k's. i had to pull back in and wait. so a word of advice to all you new GN250 riders dont try what i did. i have had it for a week now and love it around town but on the highway just be patient unless you have no wind and heeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaps of road [oh, oncoming traffic is not for dodging]. just ride it nicely.

Bonez
22nd July 2005, 05:45
man i just got a ginny250 to legally learn on [and my gpz400r ninga [pride and once was joy] just killed its gear box. or maybe i killed it but dats another ramble.] :Punk: i took it for a ride and it was against the wind. so here i was going to pass a truck doing 90 clicks and used its slipstream to get the speed to pass it. so i hit 120 and pulled out and smack! the wind had more power than the bike and it went staight down to 100k's. i had to pull back in and wait. so a word of advice to all you new GN250 riders dont try what i did. i have had it for a week now and love it around town but on the highway just be patient unless you have no wind and heeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaps of road [oh, oncoming traffic is not for dodging]. just ride it nicely.Bother changing down or did you leave it in top gear?. You do know it has more than one don't you?...................

Oakie
22nd July 2005, 08:54
It's all relative. You hopped off a GPZ400 ... so the GN is comparatively gutless. If you'd just hopped off a scooter you'd think the GN was a real ball-tearer. Just keep thinking scooter thoughts and it'll all seem so much better.

Just a matter of adapting your riding style to suit the new bikes abilities and getting used to it I guess which it sounds like you've sussed anyway. I had the pleasure of riding a GN125 for a short time. Hell of an easy bike to ride and fun. Shame it wouldn't do more that 70kph without a tailwind.

sunhuntin
22nd July 2005, 16:15
It's all relative. You hopped off a GPZ400 ... so the GN is comparatively gutless. If you'd just hopped off a scooter you'd think the GN was a real ball-tearer. Just keep thinking scooter thoughts and it'll all seem so much better.

Just a matter of adapting your riding style to suit the new bikes abilities and getting used to it I guess which it sounds like you've sussed anyway. I had the pleasure of riding a GN125 for a short time. Hell of an easy bike to ride and fun. Shame it wouldn't do more that 70kph without a tailwind.

they are stubborn like that...mine has to be pushed to get over 95, but i have had her up to 115 with a tailwind [head wind on the way kept me 90ish, mainly cos i couldnt see properly due to glasses being pushed up.]

i love my bike :love:

Beemer
22nd July 2005, 16:21
they are stubborn like that...mine has to be pushed to get over 95, but i have had her up to 115 with a tailwind [head wind on the way kept me 90ish, mainly cos i couldnt see properly due to glasses being pushed up.

You off your learner's now sunhuntin, or are you telling porkies about the top speed of that GN? :whistle:

sunhuntin
22nd July 2005, 16:36
You off your learner's now sunhuntin, or are you telling porkies about the top speed of that GN? :whistle:

still on learners, and not telling porkies. id love to know how fast michael [the guy i was riding with] was going, cos he was always well ahead of me, and his bikes the same. think i only managed to get ahead of him once, and even then it was only for a few minutes, lol. dont much like high speeds, so next time i ride with him, will ask him to keep the speed down a tad, lol. :yes:

Ixion
22nd July 2005, 16:53
they are stubborn like that...mine has to be pushed to get over 95, but i have had her up to 115 with a tailwind [head wind on the way kept me 90ish, mainly cos i couldnt see properly due to glasses being pushed up.]

i love my bike :love:

Should do more than that. Were you on the tank ?

Bonez
22nd July 2005, 17:27

i love my bike :love: Personnally I think the rear tyre they come with is rather big for it's modest "power" output. Anyone downsized the rear for the hell of it? A guy at work just bought a new GN yestrday. Would like to pass on any "constuctive" advise :yes: I'm going one size down on the rear of the GB.

[Sits back and watches the fun................. :devil2: ]

Ixion
22nd July 2005, 17:44
Personnally I think the rear tyre they come with is rather big for it's modest "power" output. Anyone downsized the rear for the hell of it? A guy at work just bought a new GN yestrday. Would like to pass on any "constuctive" advise :yes: I'm going one size down on the rear of the GB.

[Sits back and watches the fun................. :devil2: ]

Are they overgeared ? What revs are they doing flat out in top ? Some commuters through the years have deliberately been overgeared by the manufacturers, who realise that people will ride them flat out for long distances. So they gear them up to reduce revs and load under such conditions. Result is the bike is faster in (top gear minus 1) than in top

F'instance, L'il Ratty is faster in fifth than sixth. Fifth at 100kph is only 5500 (redline is 10500 - 12000).

Not just little bikes. BSA Thunderbolt was faster in third than fourth, same reason, geared up (overdrive) top gear, to give relaxed touring. It's actually a good idea, so long as you realise about it.

zeRax
22nd July 2005, 17:58
had my gn250 up to 140+ with good tail wind, cranks over to 120 fairly reasonably and then plods its way all the way up to a whopping 130 on a good stretch of road, ewehehehee, just dont brake otherwise u gotta pick that speed up again

Ixion
22nd July 2005, 17:59
had my gn250 up to 140+ with good tail wind, cranks over to 120 fairly reasonably and then plods its way all the way up to a whopping 130 on a good stretch of road, ewehehehee, just dont brake otherwise u gotta pick that speed up again

That sounds more about right. Around 85mph.

sunhuntin
23rd July 2005, 17:43
did you notice your mirrors shaking when you got to that speed? i notice when i hit about 95k, my mirrors [mainly the left one] shake so bad i cant see anything in them. i cant imagine getting my lil girl that high up [140k]

ixion, i wasnt sitting on the tank, but i do weigh a fair bit, so thats likely why she struggles to get that high. havent really made a note of RPM yet, but will try and remember next time i take her outside city limits, lol.

i have noticed shes easier to run when shes going up hill if shes in 3rd or 4th, not 5th though [tried it once, didnt sound right, so will hold her back]

Ixion
23rd July 2005, 17:55
did you notice your mirrors shaking when you got to that speed? i notice when i hit about 95k, my mirrors [mainly the left one] shake so bad i cant see anything in them. i cant imagine getting my lil girl that high up [140k]

ixion, i wasnt sitting on the tank, but i do weigh a fair bit, so thats likely why she struggles to get that high. havent really made a note of RPM yet, but will try and remember next time i take her outside city limits, lol.

i have noticed shes easier to run when shes going up hill if shes in 3rd or 4th, not 5th though [tried it once, didnt sound right, so will hold her back]

No not sitting on the tank. PLEASE DON'T TRY DOING THAT. I think it might make the bike unstable. What I meant was, on an unfaired bike, to get top speed you need to reduce wind resistance of your body. So you crouch right down and shift back on the seat and lean forward , so your top half and head are flat along the tank - looking foward by tilting your head and eyes up. "Flat on the tank" . 'Tis fun indeed at 120mph, especially with high bars!

Uphill I'd expect you'd always need 4th or lower.

If you keep going chances are you'll find that vibration period will improve as the revs go up. It doesn't necessarily get worse as revs increase (of course , sometimes it does. It is a 4 stroke single. Tis part of their charm). After a bit you get quite good at interpreting what that blur in the mirrors is (If the blur becomes a red and blue blur, that means trouble !). At least with modern bikes the mirrors do stay on the bike, once upon a time they'd have vibrated right off the handlebars.

Little bikes, if you want to get speed, you have to rev them . Wheee. :ride:

zeRax
23rd July 2005, 18:00
true that, think i was just in the reds when i got it to 140+ and the mirrors shake like an ape coming down off every drug known to man

but i always make sure to look for blue and red somewhere in that blur :)

i weigh like 63kg aswell, so yeh. certainly no ''big'' dave on a gn250

Jantar
23rd July 2005, 19:35
I have ridden a couple of GN250s and have never had any trouble at cruising at 110 - 120 kph. They do need plenty of revs and shouldn't be in top gear until you are firmly established at your desired cruising speed.

Top gear is only an overdrive, and i would be rather suprised if you could accellerate to any more than 95 - 100 in top.

hondacmx450
26th July 2005, 09:46
sit on the tank put feet on set stand up and then it dont matter how fast you go ppl will say look at that cock wow gn250 r a cool stunt bikehahahahahahahaha :ride:

rfc85
27th July 2005, 07:04
Mine is the same,I weigh 82kg and have done trips to dorkland and coromandel and had a shit load of fun, its a top bike for round town.

Pancakes
29th July 2005, 11:07
Yeah my Gnu has seen 120 and stayed there for a while since I got it but it's always been wet when I'm riding so thats all I felt like trying at the time. It seems to pull ok in 5th but chopping down is a must for passing or merging with faster lanes. I think I might have a leaking fork seal or low fork pressure cos it rides ok but dives under brakes, is this a gn trait or something worth getting checked out?

Pancakes
29th July 2005, 11:09
ps, I weigh 75kg's and with the power (or lack of) on these bikes I would see how this makes a difference

sunhuntin
29th July 2005, 14:45
might have to take "pup" to the docs soon...damn things been dropping her revs when i go over a certain speed bump [where my flat is, no matter what way you go youll hit at least one speed bump. its easier to go the 2 bump way, lol.] she did it last night on the way to work and again this morning. last night i allowed her revs to drop and she stalled, started ok though. this morning she did it again, her revs just fell despite my rolling the accellerator [sp?] to try and get them back up. i kicked her into second while trying to rev her a bit. took her back to first and moved to the side. eventually she screamed and her revs settled without stalling. dad reckons a blockage or dirt in the carb. she ran fine all day yesterday, filled her almost to overflowing so its not gas] will see how she runs over the weekend, then maybe to the doc on monday if she isnt right.

was also caught up a bit in a cop chase yesterday...bike stalled at the top of the hill [gas] got her started, checked mirrors and head check, clear all ways, moved off. get to the top of the hill, hear this noise behind me, check my mirrors, and all i can see is number plate of a ford falcoln ute. i cant imagine how close he must have been, normally i can see the bumper, bonnet, windsheild etc. i hold him back until we're past the first corner [blind] and then let him pass [double yellow lines too] really battered ford, would have been nice if itd been looked after. they go past, move back away from the side of the hill, and theres a really nice ford car up my ass [not so close this time] since i figure, ok, both fords, must be boys racing or something. let them pass as well [not up to the second corner yet, still yellow lines] once the car has passed, i catch the fluro yellow of the people inside... mufti cop car. hope to god they caught the ute.

:sunny:

rather an exciting day. hows yours been, fellow gners? hehehe

ducatilover
30th July 2005, 21:39
:devil2: i just got a new air filter for my gn250 and filled it with 96 unleaded. yesterday i managed 125 with a tailwind passing a truck it would have gone further but i was putting it past the red [8500 is the red] so i had 2 stik it at that. but to all the gn riders out there put a K&N filter inyer beast and run it on 96 it makes little diff around town it now does 100 sortof happily. even though i miss the gpz's power and willingness to pull to 11000 and 170k's passing people on the same staight, the gn does quite suffice till i have my full liscence and/or the moneY for a BANDIT600S. Dont ya just love the look of em? :weird:

ducatilover
30th July 2005, 21:47
true that, think i was just in the reds when i got it to 140+ and the mirrors shake like an ape coming down off every drug known to man

but i always make sure to look for blue and red somewhere in that blur :)

i weigh like 63kg aswell, so yeh. certainly no ''big'' dave on a gn250
dude your gearing must be longer than mine. mine redlines somewhere between 120-125 in top.i am only 55kg. is it all right to put it through the red line? if so how far till it valve bounces? :cold:

FlyingDutchMan
31st July 2005, 12:35
I got my old gn125 upto 130ish (~5km/h off the end of the speedo :D ). That was on a long downhill slope with a huge tail wind. Felt like the bike was going to shake itself to pieces. The best cruising speed I ever got was 120 on the desert road with a nice tail wind... but generally it struggled getting more than 90 km/h - however I found that wearing a pack let it go faster - mustive made it more aerodynamic somehow.

inlinefour
31st July 2005, 18:22
My GN did 120km/h max in good conditions. Just knock it down a gear and ring it out. Like Oakie said, depends what your comparing it with. However in saying that on my last ride of the GN that I owned, the Z50 made it around the MX track quicker (not really too surprising) :devil2:

Lias
1st August 2005, 09:19
I'm not a small bloke, and I can still get 135ish out of my GN with a tail wind and a downhill stretch :-)

As others have said, it takes a decent amount of time to crawl up to that speed.. Hope you dont need to break, or go up any hills :-)

Str8 Jacket
1st August 2005, 10:41
I was coming of the Petone of-ramp on Sat, once I got onto the motorway I had a look down at my speedo, and im not sure how accurate it is but I was doing just over 120 - and even then I could have gone faster . . . I love my bike and don't really care what anyone thinks of it.

White trash
1st August 2005, 10:44
I happened to witness a young fellah, weighed in at about 115kg, 17 years old, riding a GN at a trackday at Manfield, giving the learn to a dude on a CBR750 Hurricane.

His name? The peoples hero, Johann Brunns

Pancakes
4th August 2005, 16:18
So much gn knowlwdge out there!! ok brain-boxes, van I put a heavier weight shock oil in either end of mine to firm it up a bit? Mine drops 10-12cm as soon as I touch the brakes then the last few cm does all the work.

Eurygnomes
4th August 2005, 16:48
I was coming of the Petone of-ramp on Sat, once I got onto the motorway I had a look down at my speedo, and im not sure how accurate it is but I was doing just over 120 - and even then I could have gone faster . . . I love my bike and don't really care what anyone thinks of it.

Wow girl, you were bombing down the mway. Mine gets up to 100 eventually, and I"ve seen it at 105 (then slowed down for a bend over a bridge - you know, anticipating the gusts et al), but 120?? :clap:

Two Smoker
4th August 2005, 16:51
I happened to witness a young fellah, weighed in at about 115kg, 17 years old, riding a GN at a trackday at Manfield, giving the learn to a dude on a CBR750 Hurricane.

His name? The peoples hero, Johann Brunns

That doesnt surprise me at all...

mikey
4th August 2005, 16:58
That doesnt surprise me at all...

how much did he weigh when he won wanganui? maybe there is still hope for those of us who are not 5'6 an 49kgs

Pancakes
5th August 2005, 09:12
Is the black, brand new GN I saw on Hobson St AK yesterday (thursday the 4th) a KB'er?

Bob
6th August 2005, 02:51

Spot on that man! I ride a SV650S, my wife rides a XV250 Virago. In theory, I should hate the Virago... but that could not be further from the truth. I love taking the little Virago out for a ride, as it is great practice for riding smoothly (which is very much my mantra anyway).

It doesn't have the instant drive of the SV, so everything about the ride is about getting things right, being in the right gear at the right time, gettnig your timing spot on etc.

And when you do get it right, it is very funny watching the expressions on a car drivers face as they see the top of your head zoom past their side window at 75 miles per hour (about 120kph I think), then deftly flick into the lane in front of them!

All that said, I'd not swop the SV for it full time, but I find taking it (the XV) out for a ride now and again does my bigger bike riding the world of good - get back on the SV and I find I'm riding much smoother than before (and as I said, I like to ride smoothly anyway).

Wellyman
6th August 2005, 05:10
Only thing that a GN250 is for is wrecking and selling as scrap metal!

Bonez
6th August 2005, 08:03
Only thing that a GN250 is for is wrecking and selling as scrap metal!Tis tis. Can't afford one hah?

texmo
6th August 2005, 16:01

hey none of that thanks any of my scooters would waste a gn250 no problem...

zeRax
6th August 2005, 18:41
lol wtf O.o

NC
6th August 2005, 19:27
It's a good learners bike, for people that want to learn on something a bit more placid.
Not my cup of rakia. But whatever lubes yah chain.

sunhuntin
6th August 2005, 19:36
Only thing that a GN250 is for is wrecking and selling as scrap metal!

:whocares: she gets from a to b with only a few hiccups every coupla days when its cold.

froggyfrenchman
6th August 2005, 21:12
Spot on that man! I ride a SV650S, my wife rides a XV250 Virago. In theory, I should hate the Virago... but that could not be further from the truth. I love taking the little Virago out for a ride, as it is great practice for riding smoothly (which is very much my mantra anyway).

It doesn't have the instant drive of the SV, so everything about the ride is about getting things right, being in the right gear at the right time, gettnig your timing spot on etc.

And when you do get it right, it is very funny watching the expressions on a car drivers face as they see the top of your head zoom past their side window at 75 miles per hour (about 120kph I think), then deftly flick into the lane in front of them!

All that said, I'd not swop the SV for it full time, but I find taking it (the XV) out for a ride now and again does my bigger bike riding the world of good - get back on the SV and I find I'm riding much smoother than before (and as I said, I like to ride smoothly anyway).

Dead right! own a gn 4 the missis to learn on legally, i have a smorgasboard of bigger bikes to play on, but takin the gn for a thrash every now and then is fun! well in town anyway. long live the "Going Nowhere 250"

gixxer rider
7th August 2005, 08:07
man i just got a ginny250 to legally learn on [and my gpz400r ninga [pride and once was joy] just killed its gear box. or maybe i killed it but dats another ramble.] :Punk: i took it for a ride and it was against the wind. so here i was going to pass a truck doing 90 clicks and used its slipstream to get the speed to pass it. so i hit 120 and pulled out and smack! the wind had more power than the bike and it went staight down to 100k's. i had to pull back in and wait. so a word of advice to all you new GN250 riders dont try what i did. i have had it for a week now and love it around town but on the highway just be patient unless you have no wind and heeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaps of road [oh, oncoming traffic is not for dodging]. just ride it nicely.

I bet the truckie was laughing his ass off thou would of been fuuny from his side :rofl: :ride:

Bonez
7th August 2005, 09:07
Dead right! own a gn 4 the missis to learn on legally, i have a smorgasboard of bigger bikes to play on, but takin the gn for a thrash every now and then is fun! well in town anyway. long live the "Going Nowhere 250"Must be one of the longest lived models ever too. 1982 to 2005 so far...................

FlyingDutchMan
13th November 2005, 21:35
Must be one of the longest lived models ever too. 1982 to 2005 so far...................

Mine had been an '82. Somewhere along the line it had managed to get a front disk brake (not the stock drum :sick:). Not that I'm complaining all in all.

ducatilover
13th November 2005, 21:37
mine hated me and vice versa:blink:

FlyingDutchMan
13th November 2005, 21:55
mine hated me and vice versa:blink:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

kro
14th November 2005, 05:43
GN250's are a National Icon, and should not be disparaged in any way, lest they lose their mystique.

NC
14th November 2005, 10:06
GN250's are a National Icon, and should not be disparaged in any way, lest they lose their mystique.
Their mystery is only exceeded by their power?

Bonez
14th November 2005, 20:27
Mine had been an '82. Somewhere along the line it had managed to get a front disk brake (not the stock drum :sick:). Not that I'm complaining all in all.GN250s came out in 1982 with disk front brakes
http://www.suzukicycles.org/GN-series/GN250_brochures.shtml

ducatilover
14th November 2005, 20:33
well they cant be that bad, someone paid 1900 for mine...:msn-wink:

Ivan
14th November 2005, 22:02
the difference between a Harley and a GN is a Gn has a suzuki motor and a Harley runs a Massy Fergusson:banana: :banana:

Mattyc
15th November 2005, 10:31
the difference between a Harley and a GN is a Gn has a suzuki motor and a Harley runs a Massy Fergusson:banana: :banana:

and GN's Stop and Turn Better.... and considerably more reliable:doobey: :doobey: :bash:

ducatilover
15th November 2005, 10:46
ha ha too true, gn's are practical and are not american....but hey leave the massey fergusuns alone.....:nono:

ScumKiller2
15th November 2005, 14:56
Yeah, ditch the GN's and make all newbies learn on RGV250's!

WARNING FOR ALL AMERICANS - THIS POST CONTAINS SARCASM

ducatilover
15th November 2005, 20:24
WARNING FOR ALL AMERICANS - THIS POST CONTAINS SARCASM
:blink: WHATS THAT? lol:lol:

Bonez
26th November 2005, 08:14
ha ha too true, gn's are practical and are not american....but hey leave the massey fergusuns alone.....:nono:Could you please stop comparing a great tractor brand with that other agricultural vehicel.

fishb8nz
27th November 2005, 19:02
Of course the GN250 is gutless. Where you obfusticated by the Trades Description Act? Was it of a lesser HP than advertised?
The GN250 is a common or garden commutermobile that does an excellent job, doing what it was designed for. Do you want more?

ducatilover
27th November 2005, 20:03
Do you want more?
obviously i did, when i rode the gn for the first time i knew i made the wrong choise in bike:sherlock: it wasnt quite up to my requirements of doing over seven hundred k's per week in a hilly and windy district

fishb8nz
27th November 2005, 20:21
Whoa, that's one hell of am expectation for MOST bikes, let alone a GN250.
I do 350 km/week on a GN125 on flat ground and that's ok. I've even done 300 miles on a C50, in a day, once. Someone did the Pan American highway, from the bottom of Chile to Alaska on a C50. All depends on how long you want to take and how quickly.
What did you expect. My GN125 does exactly what I hoped it would - cheap, reliable, easy commuting. The GN250 does all of that, too. If you want to go faster, then buy a bigger/faster bike. That's what I intend doing as my bike is just too slow on the open road.
Don't criticise a bike for doing exactly what it was designed to do, please.

ducatilover
27th November 2005, 21:11
fair enough mate.... well i have got two bigger bikes. but they are both a bit buggered..... but my real bike, honda nt650/bros650, is a beautifull peice of work and fills all my needs extremely well, though it is "too powerfull" i find its power quite adequate and not overwhelming (when i first rode it i was like faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark this is insane) but it aint that powerful......:blip:

PSk
14th July 2006, 15:03
I've done 10,000 km's in 8 months on mine ... and also seen 120 km/h many times.

I now run a 120/80 x 16" rear tyre and it's too high geared, ie. revs too hard, thus I'm pulling close to 8500 at 120 in 5th. Going to change the front sprocket to a 16 tooth one, instead of the current 15 tooth.

It's a great little bike. Did a group ride about a month ago and it spent almost the whole trip completely flat out ... but we managed to keep up with the big boys toys.

Pete

klingon
14th July 2006, 15:46
I WANT ONE! :yes:

sunhuntin
15th July 2006, 15:44
woah...was just thinkin about this thread the other night, lol. weird.
back when i first commented i was on an 86 ginny. now im on an 05, lol.
262.2k to a tank, and then a 20k reserve after that. cost me $15.22 to fill up last time, the most ive ever put in, and she wasnt empty. she does me well, has got me to paeroa and back, and welly and back a few times. only thing was the speedo shat itself coming back from paeroa, and the chain streached and came off after a ride to wellington.
so any new ginny owners, get a new chain put on, and a new headlight bulb too, cos they aint worth shit. either of them. o, and also keep a spare tail light bulb on hand as well.

FilthyLuka
16th July 2006, 18:08
heh, funny. I just replaced the rear bulb and the chain on my GN. The high beam on the front bulb shat itself a few days back aswell. Do i need to get a suzuki bulb (because i took the bulb out and its an odd shape) or can i just get a replacement bulb from repco?

sunhuntin
16th July 2006, 18:54
heh, funny. I just replaced the rear bulb and the chain on my GN. The high beam on the front bulb shat itself a few days back aswell. Do i need to get a suzuki bulb (because i took the bulb out and its an odd shape) or can i just get a replacement bulb from repco?

the bulbs from a stealership cost about $30, so id try taking it into repco or supercheap first. yeh, i noticed a major difference with the new chain, even when the bike was first new. my rear bulb first blew in feb [not long had the bike] and then again about a week ago.

kensuem
16th July 2006, 19:11
Have just done the first1000klm in 4 weeks.Whatever you say about it ,it is darn good value for money.As I am over 6ft I just wish it was a bit longer,I have to sit way back on the seat.

degrom
16th July 2006, 19:16
GN250 = Perfect commuter!!!

I have a 1983 GN250 and it’s really good… Can’t believe that it is still goes so good. It is marked in Miles and have done over 50’000 miles. My main bike is a XV750 but every once in a while I take out the GN. Could not believe that the little rust pipes could pick up speed like it does. I must say that a smaller sprocket at the back really helps. (But it still stays a 250!!!)

Do you think a thinners back wheel will make a difference? I am due for a new back tyre and might consider it…

sunhuntin
16th July 2006, 19:50
Have just done the first1000klm in 4 weeks.Whatever you say about it ,it is darn good value for money.As I am over 6ft I just wish it was a bit longer,I have to sit way back on the seat.

im in the process of getting froggy to mock up some small crash bars that will have pegs attached. im not overly tall, but sometimes i just want to stretch out. maybe send him a pm and ask? just an idea. :yes: specially when i went to paeroa....i stopped every town to stretch and ease the numb bum a little.

NSR-Dan
16th July 2006, 21:07
my mate had a gn125 that he rode on a bmx track.

he sold it for the same price he bought it, but with fckd shocks

Komuter
6th February 2007, 10:27

Yeah mate, tell me about that seat, about 30 minutes max is all I can take of sitting on the hump or the pillion end.

I did see one guys pix from Brazil where he fitted a chrome rectangle to the front of the engine bracket and put some foot rests there. :slap:

NighthawkNZ
6th February 2007, 10:48
I have ridden a couple of GN250s and have never had any trouble at cruising at 110 - 120 kph. They do need plenty of revs and shouldn't be in top gear until you are firmly established at your desired cruising speed. You have to work the gears (learn to ride the bike)

Top gear is only an overdrive, and i would be rather suprised if you could accellerate to any more than 95 - 100 in top.

I use to have one myself and the trick is to keep your revs up, when overtaking slowly gain and and as you pull out to over take, change down (it may need to go down two gears... and open up that throtle...

I use to cruise at 120 fron Auckland to Napier regularly and back (with gear)... Top Gear is an only overdrive gear (either that its a TV show on Prime), though again using it with higher revs as you change up will supprise you, however you probably wont hold that speed for long. Under normal revs top you should be able to cruise at 95 - 110 with no problems depending on the conditions. To keep the GN going with the flow you have to use that gear box to your advantage.

The GN isn't built for speed, its main purpose was a lite cruiser/commuter and it does this well, very well actually which makes it a great bike to learn on.

BUNGY
7th February 2007, 18:04

I agree, after riding my cbr round i jumped on the Kr and all I could think was "How did I put up with riding this for so long"

NSR-Dan
12th February 2007, 06:55
Hey just to let you know.

GN250's and there couter parts are manufactured in China and then exported to japan then exported to the world.

NighthawkNZ
12th February 2007, 06:58
Hey just to let you know.

GN250's and there couter parts are manufactured in China and then exported to japan then exported to the world.

and this is new(s) how????

Waihou Thumper
13th February 2007, 16:37
I have a GN250 but only for a few more months. I have done over 7000kms in three months mostly on the back roads of the Waikato, Waipaa District and around Mangakino etc....

It is a bit daunting parking at Bryces Cafe in Wharepapa next to 8 Ducatis, but, Hey, it is fun getting out there.....

Looking for a bike to step up to after this...
I can cruise regularly at 100-105kph on the bike and it is plenty for the 250....
I have fun and enjoy it, I am really looking forward to something bigger and it will be great to twist the throttle and hit 120kph for the first time...lol

I have my eye on a BMW or something cheap for a year or so then maybe the ST3 or similar to sport/tour.......Then look out!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: