PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki DL650 VStrom 2012

SVboy
10th January 2012, 21:49
I have been thinking about an adventure style bike as GSXRs and the real world struggle to work together[as the state of my licence would attest to!] I thought the old VStrom looked fugly but obviously had a dedicated following. I think Suzukis second attempt redressed a lot of my percieved issues, esspecially around styling, and therefore was keen to give it a test ride.
Dean from Avon City Suzuki knew a lot about VStroms[having ridden an old one a great deal] and as soon as he had a demo one available, I got the call. I was give an absolutlely brand new one to try and to start the run-in. I really liked the white colour. As I rode away I found it a big bike compared with my gsxr 750 and the upright riding position and high bars gave me a comfortable riding position with great road views. Mirrors were great too, with the screen providing good protection. No issues in town, although that long wheelbase made for stability rather than the flickability of my DRZ400sm. U-turns etc were a breeze. Seat height was an issue for a shortarse like me-my feet only just touching the ground.I did find the seat comfortable, with only a wee bum tingle after about 160kms. I think Suzuki offer lower seats as accessories. On the open road I was really impressed. The ABS brakes were great[I disliked similar brakes on the GSR] with good feel and power. Because it was brand new I treated the motor with respect, but it was clear power was smooth, linier and adequate. I would suspect 120 or even more would be an easy cruising speed, if such an outrage was ever legal! The bike was very stable in the corners, prefering to stay on one line. The suspension soaked up the bumps well despite being basic spec. The forks have been increased in diameter compared with the old model. The speedo and dash were well laid out and clear to read. I had no moments with the Bridgestone trailwings despite the damp roads. Being a demo I was not going to go on shingle roads so cant comment on ABS in this environment. Not that I have a great depth of shingle experience, but I do think its size and height would make it hard work in knarly tight shingle tracks, but easy on good shingle roads. Pillon accomodation looked really good with a wide seat and very sturdy pegs.
So, overall I was impressed. I think one could cover big kms on one of these easily and I felt the whole package worked better than the somewhat basic spec would indicate. Clearly it would perform its intended role well, although cast wheels, exposed oil filterand under motor exhaust header would limit the severity of terrain that could be tackled.
Would I buy it-no,not yet! I like my uncomfortable impractical sportbikes a bit much at the moment ,but I valued the opportunity to make an informed decision. Thanks Dean and Avon City, great bike. I daresay Suzuky will sell loads of these.