PDA

View Full Version : HEBE 'Gel Seat' or a 'AIR HAWK motorcycle seat?

MyGSXF
11th January 2012, 23:49
Ok.. I get a sore arse on Phoenix :oi-grr: (2009 XJ6S:love:)

So.. the options that I know of are: a gel seat.. an air seat.. or get the seat recovered with better sponge underneath etc (anyone in Nelson do this? :scratch:)

Have you guys tried these products out? Anyone got one they don't use anymore that I could try out / beg / borrow / steel?? :innocent:

Cheers

Jen

TrentNz
12th January 2012, 00:43
just need to get some calluses ;p haha i joke i joke :tugger:.. but what happens when you rip your jel seat o.o

insomnia01
12th January 2012, 07:12
Hi there !!! I have used a Gel seat on my Blackbird & found it to be really uncomfortable after awhile. longer rides ( 500 - 1000 km ) it seemed to get worse providing no comfort or holding me in the seat :mad: had a Rider seat made up for my BB which was 3 - 4yrs ago now & wouldn't look back, hard wearing & comfortable at a reasonable $$$$$

willytheekid
12th January 2012, 08:08
Mate has the Gel seat cover ($99) http://motomail.co.nz/estore/style/heseatcover.aspx

He said it helped "a little", but he didn't rate it.

As for the "air hawk" :laugh: seriously...who the HELL would pay $300 for one of those whoopie cushions! (when you can get a custom seat made for much less)
...and the reviews for them...are not that good:no:.

One of the girls at work had her seat rebuilt in chch (rebuilt 400 impulse...really nice one!) with memory foam? and the same covering as a flash corbin seat...soooo nice!, it feels great and looks great!, I think she said it cost $180ish...but WHAT a nice seat (she raves about it!, while laughin at me as I hobble off the "torture rack" that is PhatGirl lol)

Go for a custom seat mate :niceone:, you get to pick the colour, fabric and comfort...win win really.

ps: hope all is well in nelson now :love: (chch crew was thinkin of ya's during the floods)

Blackbird
12th January 2012, 09:46
As for the "air hawk" :laugh: seriously...who the HELL would pay $300 for one of those whoopie cushions! (when you can get a custom seat made for much less)
...and the reviews for them...are not that good:no:.

Another fu*kwit who mouths off with no direct experience of Airhawks and misleading info on price. :weird:

I had a Rider (Tauranga) brand custom seat on my Blackbird and it was outstanding. Did both the 1000 miles in 24 hours Grand Challenge and the Southern Cross round NZ event in pretty much perfect comfort. Cost about $500 delivered 6 years ago. When I bought my Street Triple, I didn't want to spend that amount of money as the seat was reasonably comfortable up to 700 km days anyway. However, I entered the Grand Challenge again so bought an Airhawk 9" x 11" pillion pad as the ST seat is fairly narrow. You only need half a breath in them for best results and I was perfectly comfortable on the 1000-miler. Bought it directly from the US for about NZ$140 delivered.

Airhawk review here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2010/09/airhawk-seats-and-other-stuff.html

Cheers

Geoff

Vgygrwr
12th January 2012, 10:13
+1 on the Air Hawk, everyone I have come across who has used one has been really happy with them. I got one prior to TT 2000 last year no problems with 1200+ km each day. However I find TDM seat fine for 600/700 km days. Easy to get good price and delivery ex US.

willytheekid
12th January 2012, 11:11
Another fu*kwit who mouths off with no direct experience of Airhawks and misleading info on price. :weird:

..... Bought it directly from the US for about NZ$140 delivered.

Airhawk review here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2010/09/airhawk-seats-and-other-stuff.html

Cheers

Geoff

:shit:...WELL!...Who shat in your weetbix Geoff? (whats with the abusive reply (Fu*kwit) when I only offered my opinion to a fellow KBer?

For the record I was actually looking at getting one last year (got seat repadded instead...didn't help:no:)
- http://www.cyclecomfort.co.nz/airhawk-motorcycle-cushions (oh look...$300...same as the trademe price as well...misleading?...how?)
I did Read multiple online rider reviews(some good!, some bad!), spoke to the local bike shops and as I stated :"the reviews etc were not THAT good"-(for the money)
- (I loved how the link was to your own blog/review lol)

Anyway, I thought you were a nice chap previous to this post (I even sometimes read your blog -some good stuff on there)
But this post has either shown your true colours, or you are having a really bad day-(you have every right to post YOUR opinion Geoff, and even correct me when Im wrong (happens alot)...but to be disrespectful and rude?...not called for at all-(do you work for Airhawk?...shaggin the CEO?...why so defensive?)

If the Air hawk is a good investment then so be it (and glad to hear so, always like to hear reviews & opinions on good bike gear that benefit us all)

But you have a nice day bitting the heads off things mate.<_<

Blackbird
12th January 2012, 11:30
Willy,
I guess I should apologise - after all, taking the piss or or offering an opinion on something with no direct experience is mandatory on KB :bleh:. You happened to be in the firing line on a day when my tolerance level was lower than normal - grumpy old bastard waving a stick is about right :laugh:

The main point is that you have now heard positive feedback from 2 people who have actually used them over long distances. Perfectly natural that the link was to my blog because it covered my experience with the "whoopee cushion" on that post. Your price was misleading in that you don't have to pay $300 if you import one.

Anyway, Jen now has some feedback which might be of use.

You have a good day too!

willytheekid
12th January 2012, 11:55
Willy,
I guess I should apologise - after all, taking the piss or or offering an opinion on something with no direct experience is mandatory on KB :bleh:. You happened to be in the firing line on a day when my tolerance level was lower than normal - grumpy old bastard waving a stick is about right :laugh:

The main point is that you have now heard positive feedback from 2 people who have actually used them over long distances. Perfectly natural that the link was to my blog because it covered my experience with the "whoopee cushion" on that post. Your price was misleading in that you don't have to pay $300 if you import one.

Anyway, Jen now has some feedback which might be of use.

You have a good day too!

:laugh: No worries Geoff :niceone:

I thought it was unlike you to go the jugular so quick.
As i said I am always open to hearing from other riders about products that may benefit us (especially experianced ones such as yourself), your right tho, I have no direct experiance with the product and was just going off what reviews I had read and advice from the local bike shops, I actually didn't know you could get them for $140nz! (much better than $300...that price scared me off to be honest)
Always good to hear from other KBers in regards to these sorts of products and to share the knowledge with us all.(thanks to all for sharing their personal reviews/opinions)

I may just have to look at getting my hands on a airhawk to try...bloody guzzi is killing me! (Im even thinking of flipping the handle bars and getting gel grips to help with the blown left shoulder (hit by 4x4 last yr)...I can only go 150-200ks then have to stop due to intense pain:baby:
So maybe a comfort splash out may help...including my arse :laugh:

Have a great day Geoff, always good to hear from you and please keep up the great work on the blog.
Respectfully

-Willy

gunnyrob
13th January 2012, 07:59
Hi willy, if you're having intense pain at 150km an airhawk isn't going to fix it. Your posture is probably the main factor, and sad to say, your best bet may be to try a different style of bike, possibly one with a more upright riding style to take the weight off the blown shoulder. At the very least, have a talk to a motorcycle upholsterer (apparantly an excellent one is in Tauranga) who can add/subtract foam to adjust your stance.

I had major dramas with vibration coming through the wrists on sprotboikes but am as happy as Larry on the GS.

mulletman
20th January 2012, 13:08
Hi willy, if you're having intense pain at 150km an airhawk isn't going to fix it. Your posture is probably the main factor, and sad to say, your best bet may be to try a different style of bike, possibly one with a more upright riding style to take the weight off the blown shoulder. At the very least, have a talk to a motorcycle upholsterer (apparantly an excellent one is in Tauranga) who can add/subtract foam to adjust your stance.

I had major dramas with vibration coming through the wrists on sprotboikes but am as happy as Larry on the GS.

Shit changing bikes a bit drastic, how bout swapping out your bars ? ive had an Airhawke for about 30,000ks and it works fine , but after the Sept EQ when the 1400 fell over and bent the bars i replaced them with some pro taper fat bars, these had me in a slightly diff seating position and as a result i hardly use my 'woopi' cushion unless on 1000 + K rides.

actungbaby
21st January 2012, 09:32
Ok.. I get a sore arse on Phoenix :oi-grr: (2009 XJ6S:love:)

So.. the options that I know of are: a gel seat.. an air seat.. or get the seat recovered with better sponge underneath etc (anyone in Nelson do this? :scratch:)

Have you guys tried these products out? Anyone got one they don't use anymore that I could try out / beg / borrow / steel?? :innocent:

Cheers

Jen
you missed out on the ejecter seat option or maybe getting of the seat going for a run hehe

James Deuce
21st January 2012, 09:35
Eat more pies. Grow a bigger arse.

mrbourget
27th February 2012, 20:51
I use an air hawk on my gs 1200 on long trips, i like it. takes the bumps out..