PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket adjusties cert

SMOKEU
14th January 2012, 12:54
Has anyone here failed a WOF for having aftermarket adjustable suspension without having a cert for it? I've checked here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/docs/mc-9-steering-v4a3.pdf which says that no cert is required if "the springs and seats are not height adjustable".

So does an Ohlins rear suspension setup need a cert? I'm pretty sure it was a direct bolt in replacement but I'm not too sure as I got the bike like that.

riffer
14th January 2012, 14:17
Hang on aren't most springs adjustable? That's how you set preload.

bogan
14th January 2012, 14:20
Is it just the preload adjuster? or does the shock have height adjustment as well? Either way, I've never hear of bikes having a problem. Print out the relevant section of the bike cert info, and ask the wof guy to show you why it needs a cert.

SMOKEU
14th January 2012, 15:48
Hang on aren't most springs adjustable? That's how you set preload.

That's what I thought.

Is it just the preload adjuster? or does the shock have height adjustment as well? Either way, I've never hear of bikes having a problem. Print out the relevant section of the bike cert info, and ask the wof guy to show you why it needs a cert.

I'm not sure. I haven't even taken the bike for a WOF, I'm only asking for future reference in case I get given shit about it at WOF time (which I doubt I will).

98tls
14th January 2012, 15:53
Havent had any problem with mine and i changed the rear and front ie forks off another model,he did however give the shims and spacers the once over on the front end.

Gremlin
14th January 2012, 16:00
I don't mention it (had several Ohlins equipped bikes pass through VTNZ), and it's never mentioned to me. When checking the bike, they seem most concerned it's in proper operational order, no excess play here and there, that sort of thing.

bogan
14th January 2012, 16:06
Havent had any problem with mine and i changed the rear and front ie forks off another model,he did however give the shims and spacers the once over on the front end.

Last guy I got asked if I had done all the work myself, told me it was very good work, gave me a wof and sent me on my way. So some will still use discretion and not make you get a cert for work that is obviously well up to scratch. Pretty sure in the reg it reads like single upgrades of swapped components etc are ok, but once you start doing a few of the mods it technically requires a cert; so we both technically need one, but with such immaculate machines I think we'll be safe for a while yet!

98tls
14th January 2012, 16:10
Last guy I got asked if I had done all the work myself, told me it was very good work, gave me a wof and sent me on my way. So some will still use discretion and not make you get a cert for work that is obviously well up to scratch. Pretty sure in the reg it reads like single upgrades of swapped components etc are ok, but once you start doing a few of the mods it technically requires a cert; so we both technically need one, but with such immaculate machines I think we'll be safe for a while yet!

To be honest mate i sort of thought i may have had a problem with the radial calipers on the GSXR forks,never did when i put Busa ones on the oem forks but thought they might get pedantic with brakes.

GrayWolf
14th January 2012, 19:57
Has anyone here failed a WOF for having aftermarket adjustable suspension without having a cert for it? I've checked here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/docs/mc-9-steering-v4a3.pdf which says that no cert is required if "the springs and seats are not height adjustable".

So does an Ohlins rear suspension setup need a cert? I'm pretty sure it was a direct bolt in replacement but I'm not too sure as I got the bike like that.

Thats weird. I have just purchased a bike with ohlins rear and CKT modified front, including a CKT sticker on the forks.... no problems with a WOF.

vifferman
15th January 2012, 21:25
There's something you've missed - shocks such as the one I've got are adjustable for ride height, over and above preload adjustment. It's a threaded end on the lower mount of the shock. I've had a multitude of WOFs since I fitted it, and the only comment was the back tyre was touching the concrete on the centrestand. Can't see why it should be a big deal, or even how they'd be able to tell from a visual inspection it's adjustable. As it is, you can adjust the height of any bike via the preload and/or by raising/lowering the fork tubes in the triple clamps.

HenryDorsetCase
15th January 2012, 21:54
Thats weird. I have just purchased a bike with ohlins rear and CKT modified front, including a CKT sticker on the forks.... no problems with a WOF.

my last three bikes have been set up the exact same way, and I have had zero problem. Nor do I expect any. I get my WOFs from VTNZ too, if that matters.

DEATH_INC.
16th January 2012, 06:19
I'm pretty sure that technically it should be if it has adjustable ride height, as it is no longer a straight replacement, it has extra geometry adjustment. At least on a car that's the case. Added adjustable anything (except damping) must be certed. Different front / rear ends are definitely on that list, but I guess most guys don't know what they're looking at.
I doubt it'll get failed.

Haggis2
16th January 2012, 16:21
Should only be an issue if the bike (or car for that matter) had non adjustable suspension to start with and has then had the adjustable fitted later (modification). What the others are saying is their bikes have been checked by either someone using some discretion or someone who knew jack and passed it anyway as alot if not most bikes now have adjustable suspension.