PDA

View Full Version : Thank god that's over, or read as last time I paint anything, ever

98tls
14th January 2012, 15:07
Started painting the house/fences n garage a tad before xmas and today finally we got it finished...thank god as i can truly say i hate painting in fact at the moment i can say i loath it.Theres plenty on here that have called in from time to time when passing through who will remember the old 1/2 white 1/2 some god awful teal green that it used to be and this is a marked improvement.The thing that caused me the most grief was the bloody garage door,i have no idea what it was painted with but am sure it was never meant to be on a ali door,it just laughed at paint stripper.Anyways am so pleased its done a few pics.In the 3rd pic taken before i painted the garage you can see the lovely old paint.

98tls
14th January 2012, 15:13
...................:niceone:Thank god its over.

Hitcher
14th January 2012, 15:17
Luxury. A single-level bungalow on a flat section. The east side of our place needs six levels of scaffolding.

98tls
14th January 2012, 15:22
Luxury. A single-level bungalow on a flat section. The east side of our place needs six levels of scaffolding.

Sooner you than me Hitch.This was enough for me.:niceone:

slofox
14th January 2012, 15:30
I painted a house once. And once only. Made sure I've never bought another house that I need to paint

98tls
14th January 2012, 15:36
Forgot the pic of the bloody garage door,yea i know its only a garage door but fark me you wouldnt believe the work it took to get it looking like that,should have just bought a new one,second pic is whats next...theres always something else eh,got the tiles down in the hall way and its gib stopped so...more bloody painting i guess.:weird:

98tls
14th January 2012, 15:39
I painted a house once. And once only. Made sure I've never bought another house that I need to paint

We got the place for bugger all really and it was supposed to be a 10 year project and move on,make that a 20 year project i think and when done buggered if i am moving.:laugh:

Edbear
14th January 2012, 15:58
If you do everything you hate doing as well as that I can only imagine the job you'd make of something you enjoyed! :niceone:

Gremlin
14th January 2012, 16:03
Houses should actually be regularly washed/painted, every 10 odd years at the outside (don't ask specifics, I ain't no painter).

Parents have renovated almost every house I lived in as a child... renovating is out of my blood before I've begun. Don't mind the destruction at all, but hate the creation (painting and finishing etc).

98tls
14th January 2012, 16:12
If you do everything you hate doing as well as that I can only imagine the job you'd make of something you enjoyed! :niceone:

I am bloody good at drinking Bourbon Ed,dab hand at fishing to.:msn-wink:

slofox
14th January 2012, 16:13
Houses should actually be regularly washed/painted, every 10 odd years at the outside (don't ask specifics, I ain't no painter).

Parents have renovated almost every house I lived in as a child... renovating is out of my blood before I've begun. Don't mind the destruction at all, but hate the creation (painting and finishing etc).

Can't see any point in painting my splitstone cladding...:whistle:

Pussy
14th January 2012, 16:15
I have just started on the inside of the house.
Stripped all wallpaper from the laundry. Next step get the gibstopping done, then paint it.
Systematically replacing all the skirting boards, too.
I hate with a passion the wanker who thought of MDF skirting boards...

SMOKEU
14th January 2012, 16:15
I used to hate painting. At my last job the boss had a paint spray machine, just hook it up to a power cord and it makes painting houses, fences, roofs etc much faster than the old fashioned way of doing it.

Crasherfromwayback
14th January 2012, 16:50

Looks great mate. Awesome looking pad you've got too. Very jealous. Exactly the sort of place I'd love to own, but could never afford here in Welly.

JimO
14th January 2012, 16:57
why do you think old painters are all alchys

jasonu
14th January 2012, 16:57

Nice job. I painted my place a few years ago, took a week of solid graft!
What is the corrugated iron eyesore in the background of pic 2?

98tls
16th January 2012, 18:40
Nice job. I painted my place a few years ago, took a week of solid graft!
What is the corrugated iron eyesore in the background of pic 2?

Its an old Horse stables believe it or not,for years there was just that on a small empty section,guy bought the land put up a new house and has reduced the old stables to that...eyesore,i hear him chipping away in there and have done for awhile,no idea what the hell hes doing but i wish he would hurry up and finish and demolish the rest of it.

98tls
16th January 2012, 18:49
I have just started on the inside of the house.
Stripped all wallpaper from the laundry. Next step get the gibstopping done, then paint it.
Systematically replacing all the skirting boards, too.
I hate with a passion the wanker who thought of MDF skirting boards...

I to have thought the same about said wanker mate.:niceone:

98tls
16th January 2012, 18:55
Looks great mate. Awesome looking pad you've got too. Very jealous. Exactly the sort of place I'd love to own, but could never afford here in Welly.

Yea theres something to be said for small towns eh,i paid $73,000 for it at the time,good sized section etc.About 5 months after i bought it the councils must have decided they needed more money ie rates and the valuation went up to $166000:weird:madness as i hadnt done a thing.Replaced the kitchen top to bottom and knocked a wall out between kitchen and lounge,new bathroom top to bottom and just about finished the hallway,still bedrooms,sunroom and laundry/toilet to do.houses are like old TLSs...theres always something to do.:laugh:

Oakie
16th January 2012, 19:01
Nice job of undercoating. What colour you going to paint it? :bleh:

Actually I feel your pain. I had to re-paint ours at the start of this year as a result of having to re-mortar following September's earthquake. I was still repainting when the February one happened and then June's wobbles re-created a handful of cracks so I'll be dipping into the old mortar bag and paint bucket again some time soon.

98tls
16th January 2012, 19:04
Nice job of undercoating. What colour you going to paint it? :bleh:

Actually I feel your pain. I had to re-paint ours at the start of this year as a result of having to re-mortar following September's earthquake. I was still repainting when the February one happened and then June's wobbles re-created a handful of cracks so I'll be dipping into the old mortar bag and paint bucket again some time soon.

I will pass that onto my old mum mate,shes up in CH-CH and after the 1st lot had her place Rock Coated (or similar spelling) and then....:shit:

Crasherfromwayback
16th January 2012, 19:05
.houses are like old TLSs...theres always something to do.:laugh:

And both of yours have character!

98tls
16th January 2012, 19:13
And both of yours have character!

The Mrs doesnt share your opinion mate,had a mate and his Mrs round the other day and me mates Mrs does the "place looks great blah blah..what women do" mine responds with "we could have built another storey if he would have stooped spending money on that old motorcycle":shit::laugh:Tell you shes the most frustrated motorcyclists partner in the world,she wants me to buy a new bike as she sees that as a way of stopping me spending money on an old one:laugh:and therefore hurrying up the house thing.:doh:

FJRider
16th January 2012, 19:17
The Mrs doesnt share your opinion mate,had a mate and his Mrs round the other day and me mates Mrs does the "place looks great blah blah..what women do" mine responds with "we could have built another storey if he would have stooped spending money on that old motorcycle":shit::laugh:Tell you shes the most frustrated motorcyclists partner in the world,she wants me to buy a new bike as she sees that as a way of stopping me spending money on an old one:laugh:and therefore hurrying up the house thing.:doh:

Just tell her you're keeping it for the cheap vintage registration cost ... <_<