PDA

View Full Version : XV750 Virago

kevie
15th January 2012, 19:14
Bike has done 10,000km on a totally rebuilt motor, rebuilt by Pete King, a V-Twin guru in Palmerston North. At a cost of $4100 (had budgeted $3000 for the rebuild)
As it was origionally imported and no owner history the true KMs are not known.

The carbs later died and I couldn't get the diaphragms and didn't locate suitable replacement carbs for it so took them off, made a home-built intake manifold and fitted a 1990 Harley 1200 Sportster CV carb to it.

Bike also running Harley Fat-boy strait pipes and Duece Air-cleaner.

Issue with the bike is ....... backfires badly through carb when trying to start it up. Some mechanics said too much air getting in. another said might be an electrical problem.

I still have the original carbs and fittings and have since located a company in England that quoted me $165 NZ to make new diaphragms for it.

But ....... I have since bought a new bike and just don't have the time to get the Virago back on the road again
Bike also has a brand new starter motor and new tires on her.
Also it has had the swingarm totally rebuilt by "2wheels" in Palmerston North and the gas-tank repainted with Holdens 'COSMO' (deep purple) by Marton Paint and Panel
I was going to finish it off and ask around $3000 for it ..... but as I work tooooo many hours I just dont see myself finishing it in a hurry. So decided to put out a feeler and see what I'm offered AS IS for it.

I couldn't put OFFERS in the price field so have put $1000 but I'm open to negotiation if shes going to a good home :)

I have spent about $7,000 in restoration work on it in the 11 years I have had it, the things we spend on the love of our life eh hehehhehe

Rego is on restore and I have the Haynes workshop manual for the bike as well.

Drop me a message on here or phone me on 07-8286248 or 0275532280

I am in Huntly

stuie001
15th January 2013, 12:47
hey hows it going. you have the same bike that i have.. i have a couple of questions for ya. is your starter noisey as all hell... and what is the red light thats on the right hand side under the rev counter.... cant find it in the manual and it comes on whenever i go over 80......

ellipsis
15th January 2013, 14:46
...starter motors were the only problem that the XV had...I put 36mm slides on mine...

cynna
15th January 2013, 15:39
dont see many xvs around these days. my first road bike was an xv400 - always had an issue with the ypis or whatever was called and it always cut out to one cylinder. had my only 2 road bike crashes on that bike as well.... apart from that was a great wee bike

good luck with the sale -someone will get a bargin

FJRider
15th January 2013, 17:53
.. and what is the red light thats on the right hand side under the rev counter.... cant find it in the manual and it comes on whenever i go over 80.....

Got it in one ... a jap import no doubt. It indicates just that.

Or ... low oil level.

Time will tell for sure I guess .. :laugh:

nzspokes
15th January 2013, 18:33
hey hows it going. you have the same bike that i have.. i have a couple of questions for ya. is your starter noisey as all hell... and what is the red light thats on the right hand side under the rev counter.... cant find it in the manual and it comes on whenever i go over 80......

That's the overspeed light. Just pull out the bulb. Jap bikes do it over 80 to show your speeding.

stuie001
16th January 2013, 10:05
thanks for that.. had me worried for a bit haha. the oil light keeps coming on altho its got new oil.. just wondering if i should put a thicker grade oil in simply because its air cooled and damn hot in chch at the moment.. yeah i know i sound like a noob at this shit, but been riding about 5yrs.. jst dont know much about machanicl shit.. trying to learn

ellipsis
16th January 2013, 12:52
...you shouldn't need much mechanical skill with an XV...you have to try extremely hard to break one...and even then they refuse to break...

stuie001
17th January 2013, 07:11
thats what i like to hear :)