PDA

View Full Version : Custom piston builders in Auckland?

R6_kid
17th January 2012, 15:02
I have a pair of Cosworth high compression pistons that came out of my TRX850, I'm waiting on a reply for Cosworth to see what it will cost to get another set made up but thought I'd ask if anyone knew of any local businesses that would be able to help?

Piston diameter is ~90mm.

Gremlin
17th January 2012, 15:09
I don't know specifically... but perhaps these guys could help? http://takaninicustomfabrication.co.nz/index.php/

Found them when searching for some custom fabrication, but never spoke to them, as I'll probably go a different route.

Kickaha
17th January 2012, 17:12
I tried a couple of places here (Chch) not so long ago, they used to be able to import blanks and machine to suit, the companies in the USA will no longer supply then but can get them done to suit ex USA at about $1200-1300+ gst for a set of 4 which is the minimum they will make

Motu
17th January 2012, 17:54
There used to be a place in Auckland that made pistons - cast and machined. I had some made for a Mercedes 250 I was reconditioning, half price of original. That was over 25 years ago - but skills and equipment haven't changed, it's just a matter of someone getting enough interest to consider doing it for a living. Of course with nobody supporting local industry that is less likely to happen. A friend of mine has the same kiln as this guy used...I know he does some casting of motorcycle parts, probably pistons too.

pete376403
17th January 2012, 20:34
Not in Auckland, but are Denco still in operation in Christchurch?

Kickaha
17th January 2012, 20:38
Not in Auckland, but are Denco still in operation in Christchurch?

He is but no longer makes his own pistons, he was one of the people I spoke to

I can't remember if it was him or the guy in Beaumont street but one of them still had some blanks

Brian d marge
17th January 2012, 22:13
online is easier, I've used a few , and I'm sorry, on the train and no access to info right now, but if you want i will dig out the name
easy as and the catalogue is extensive

stephen

Grumph
18th January 2012, 05:51
He is but no longer makes his own pistons, he was one of the people I spoke to

I can't remember if it was him or the guy in Beaumont street but one of them still had some blanks

Dick chapman at proturn in Beaumont St does still have a few blanks and part finished pistons but nothing big enough for a Yam twin.

I'm pretty sure I've seen these listed as a stock Cosworth production so they should be available again.
There are one or two outfits around the world who will still do one off or two - off jobs. I was given the name of a Belgian mob which I could hunt out if you're desperate.

carburator
1st February 2012, 16:23
Kicking around in one of my fish boxes are two sets of Arias High compression pistions
for a yamaha TRX850

Ive hopefully attached the right photo, I have no idea what compression ratio they are
the stock pistons are dish tops so these are certainly high compression teritory..

Kind regards Matt..