PDA

View Full Version : The Great Race

RobMac
17th January 2012, 19:16
Hi folks,

There is an event that has been running in Ozzy for the last 20yrs called ‘The Great Race’ and no it's not Bathurst, this one is greater than that!

It’s a grudge match between Indian and Harley to keep the feud going that has been around since HD came along after Indian in 1903. Held over a weekend and involves some socially competitive events and touring with a points system running and the winning marque having bragging rights for the next 12months.

A mate and I are seriously considering running something similar here in NZ later this year, probably initially in the Wairarapa.
Indian has a pretty strong national club so there shouldn’t be any issues in finding participants on Springfield’s finest, but what I’d like to know is how many old Harley riders are on KB here that would be interested in taking part? Alternatively does anyone know of a contact for an old Harley club ‘cos so far there doesn’t seem to be one. We’re talking pre 1956 here, predominantly only flathead motors.

This isn’t aimed at the modern HOG types.

Post your comments and thoughts here and we will see if this is likely to be a goer.

Thanks, Rob.

BIG DOUG
18th January 2012, 05:39
Yea I'd be interested,but my 51 pan is still 18mths-2 years away from being finished.

Grumph
18th January 2012, 15:38
Try publicising it through the Vintage Club - either in Beaded Wheels or their online ads.

RobMac
18th January 2012, 19:36
Hey Doug, if it works out hopefully it'll be an annual thing so you'll still get a chance!

Grumph - will definately be doing some advertising via various magazines.

Just trying to see if there is any interest in the idea initially before we progress.

RobMac
5th September 2012, 20:06
Hello again, so The Great Race isn't happening as such - instead the plan is just to head away to sunny Golden Bay over Labour weekend. Any American bike, pre 1960 more than welcome.
Here is some details, contact either James (details on pic) or reply to me here.

Cheers, Rob.