PDA

View Full Version : Auckland to New Plymouth at 4am. Where to stop for gas?

khabel
23rd January 2012, 12:51
I heading to New Plymouth on Friday to get my suspension done so will be leaving here around 4am to get there around 8:30 hopefully. Where can I stop for gas after Hamilton that will be open at that time?

sil3nt
23rd January 2012, 12:56
Taumarunui BP will be open if you can stretch it that far!

Rototuna BP and Hillcrest Caltex in Hamilton should be open can't think of any others.

nodrog
23rd January 2012, 12:56
Tekuiti

slofox
23rd January 2012, 12:58
Lookee HERE (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/146057-Changing-the-attachment-of-an-old-post)...post #4 has the attachment you need.

Gives you a list.

Top up in The Tron, then Te Kuiti. 162km further and you are in New Plymush. No problemo.

yungatart
23rd January 2012, 12:58
Gremlin has a thread on here about 24 hour gas stations...that should be of some help to you.

Gremlin
23rd January 2012, 13:00
What the other 3 people above said... there is a list (or if you're using the NZOGPS maps the data is already there).

Basically, check you can stretch either side of Te Kuiti. The Shell on the northern side (Shell Te Kumi from memory) is open 24/7.

edit: Slofox... direct link to the station thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/87898-24-hour-fuel-stations

nodrog
23rd January 2012, 13:08
P.S. what are you doing going through hamilton? Take the back road from Rangiriri through to Otorohanga.

you will only have to stop once (in Tekuiti) for gas.

khabel
23rd January 2012, 13:15
thanks, I wont be going through Hamilton, more around it.

Te Kuiti it is for petrol, bike can do a couple hundred K's on a tank so that stop will be plenty. I'll come back up through Whangamomona

jasonu
23rd January 2012, 14:10
P.S. what are you doing going through hamilton? Take the back road from Rangiriri through to Otorohanga.

you will only have to stop once (in Tekuiti) for gas.

What that man said! Although I seam to remember turning off at Ngarowahia and head towards Pirongia then to Otorohanga which is about 20k north of Te Kuiti.

slofox
23rd January 2012, 17:12
What that man said! Although I seam to remember turning off at Ngarowahia and head towards Pirongia then to Otorohanga which is about 20k north of Te Kuiti.

I always dive over the one way bridge at Rangiriri and go up the west bank of the river. Then you can hook up to SH39 at Ngaruawahia and follow through to Otorohanga as THAT man said.

Zamiam
23rd January 2012, 17:33
Auckland to New Plymouth via Taumarunui = you're either lost or taking the looonnnng way

In regards backroad its just as fast Rangiriri to Ngaruawahia vis sh1 with new expressway and that time of the day. Back road is pretty bumpy if you want to travel at warp speed. Used to turn off ta Rangiriri all the time no longer bother. I'm from the naki and commuted nearly every week for 8 months before I relocated.

sil3nt
23rd January 2012, 19:15
Auckland to New Plymouth via Taumarunui = you're either lost or taking the looonnnng way

In regards backroad its just as fast Rangiriri to Ngaruawahia vis sh1 with new expressway and that time of the day. Back road is pretty bumpy if you want to travel at warp speed. Used to turn off ta Rangiriri all the time no longer bother. I'm from the naki and commuted nearly every week for 8 months before I relocated.Harley wants to stick to the motorway. Who would have thought :sweatdrop

The Pastor
24th January 2012, 13:44
petrol stations are the best bet to get fuel from

yod
24th January 2012, 13:54
ooooo Awakino Gorge and Mt Messenger :drool:

Zamiam
24th January 2012, 17:41
Harley wants to stick to the motorway. Who would have thought :sweatdrop

PML -I'ill give you a point for that. I'm the Harley owner who prefers the back roads and is known to avoid the motorway because it's boring.

There's a nice little backroad by pass of Te Kuiti that the Harley and I love.

sil3nt
24th January 2012, 17:47
PML -I'ill give you a point for that. I'm the Harley owner who prefers the back roads and is known to avoid the motorway because it's boring.

There's a nice little backroad by pass of Te Kuiti that the Harley and I love.Thankfully there are a lot of good roads to the west of Hamilton so nobody actually has to see how shit a place it really is!

nosebleed
24th January 2012, 18:44
ooooo Awakino Gorge and Mt Messenger :drool:

What that man said