PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone! (askaz)

askaz
23rd January 2012, 13:40
Hey guys!
Im new here and I have a question for anyone who lives in Auckland city.
Im a 3rd year uni student and have just bought my ninja. I live in Timaru at the moment so I dont have to worry about security but I am taking it up to Auckland this year am a little worried about security as it will be parked in the city on some occasions.
I lived in the city last year and every car I saw from my apartment had alarms fitted.
Im looking at getting an alarm for my bike as peace of mind but I want some opinions and advice from people first.

Anyone here living in Auckland have alarms fitted? And is an alarm necessary or just a have?

Cheers guys!

Lelitu
23rd January 2012, 13:53
Hey guys!
Im new here and I have a question for anyone who lives in Auckland city.
Im a 3rd year uni student and have just bought my ninja. I live in Timaru at the moment so I dont have to worry about security but I am taking it up to Auckland this year am a little worried about security as it will be parked in the city on some occasions.
I lived in the city last year and every car I saw from my apartment had alarms fitted.
Im looking at getting an alarm for my bike as peace of mind but I want some opinions and advice from people first.

Anyone here living in Auckland have alarms fitted? And is an alarm necessary or just a have?

Cheers guys!

welcome :) hope you have lots of fun with your ninja

about alarms. have you ever seen anyone react to a car alarm going off with anything more than a "shut that damned thing up" ?
I certainly havn't, which makes them no deterrent at all.

Floppy disk
23rd January 2012, 20:49
Great idea to get a bike. Auckland Uni is bike-friendly with plenty of parking and you will find it is actually easier to go around on a bike than using a car, a bus, a train or walking. Make sure you have a very good helmet. That $50 you save by not getting a top helmet would become a million dollar if you ever fall down. :sweatdrop

Regarding your question, you are safe when you park during the day. In the night it is a bit of a challenge but you can easily overcome it. Go to any motorcycle dealer and buy a lock. Many of these locks are so solid that in the US they guaranty to replace whatever gets stolen by cutting the lock. Then lock your bike wheel against something fairly solid. Thieves will need a good 6 to 8 hours and lot of effort to cut it if they have pro tools. Even if they cut the support you have connected your bike to, it means they cannot use that locked tyre.. All this is a good enough deterrent.

If you are paranoid you can have an immobilizer system and/or an alarm system installed, but that would be over the top for anything cheaper than $20,000 in my view :shit:

Ideally park your bike close enough to your bedroom so you can hear if anyone is "interested" at it at 1am.

Insurance is your last line of defense. Around $450 gets you full cover including theft, but things get a bit more expensive if you are learner or a restricted..

Good luck and have fun! :rockon:

askaz
24th January 2012, 15:32
welcome :) hope you have lots of fun with your ninja

about alarms. have you ever seen anyone react to a car alarm going off with anything more than a "shut that damned thing up" ?
I certainly havn't, which makes them no deterrent at all.

Great idea to get a bike. Auckland Uni is bike-friendly with plenty of parking and you will find it is actually easier to go around on a bike than using a car, a bus, a train or walking. Make sure you have a very good helmet. That $50 you save by not getting a top helmet would become a million dollar if you ever fall down. :sweatdrop

Regarding your question, you are safe when you park during the day. In the night it is a bit of a challenge but you can easily overcome it. Go to any motorcycle dealer and buy a lock. Many of these locks are so solid that in the US they guaranty to replace whatever gets stolen by cutting the lock. Then lock your bike wheel against something fairly solid. Thieves will need a good 6 to 8 hours and lot of effort to cut it if they have pro tools. Even if they cut the support you have connected your bike to, it means they cannot use that locked tyre.. All this is a good enough deterrent.

If you are paranoid you can have an immobilizer system and/or an alarm system installed, but that would be over the top for anything cheaper than $20,000 in my view :shit:

Ideally park your bike close enough to your bedroom so you can hear if anyone is "interested" at it at 1am.

Insurance is your last line of defense. Around $450 gets you full cover including theft, but things get a bit more expensive if you are learner or a restricted..

Good luck and have fun! :rockon:

Cheers for the replies guys! Loving my ninja! Just got back from a weekend where I travelled from Timaru through Aurthurs Pass to westport then back home via the Lewis Pass, just shy of 1000km, so much fun!

Got myself a good LS2 helmet, didnt hold back on the money as they are the only thing that will save you if you ever fall off!

Regarding the alarms you are right it can be a just nuisance and an extra 400$ for a good alarm is a heap of fuel!
Ill probably just one of those chains or an Oxford screamer!

Thanks again guys! :)