PDA

View Full Version : Hello! I'm Rajol, a new rider, New Zealand/Wellington

Rajol
24th January 2012, 09:27
Hello, I'm Rajol (just call me Joel/Jol)

Born in Wellington to a Georgian father and Kiwi mother. I live in Wellington at the moment but I am a medical student at Otago uni,

I grew up on a dairy farm out in the Wairarapa just out of Martinborough, my grandfather was an engineer and raced cars in his younger years but in his later years became a motorbike mechanic and was in the Ulysses Motorbike club for a good 5-10 years, he had his own workshop at home in Martinborough and had a few motorbikes that I remember (I can not remember what they were as I was quite young at the time, but remember a lot of chrome and that they were very loud)

I have been having heating problems with my hilux surf and have got tired of having to pay for getting them fixed all the time, along with running costs and maintenance I've de registered the vehicle.

Attracted to the low running costs and not having to bother with overheating I set out looking for a motorbike

Found one, previously 1 owner, 2009 Keeway supershadow, 250cc, on 6000ks, very good condition as far as I could tell, 1 year WOF and 1 month rego, after market engine and some kind of modification/tuning so the motorbike could be used on the Wellington motorway and hit 120-130 easy.

I turned up to inspect/see the motorbike when I was buying it, knowing nothing about motorbikes, however as soon as I saw it, I knew i wanted it.
Before I turned up I looked on youtube to see how to ride a motorbike, having my full car license and knowing how to drive a manual, I just watched videos on how to change gears and such.
Have never ridden motorbikes previously but turned up knowing where the brakes were, clutch and how to change gears, I gave it a test drive around heretaunga in Upperhutt.

My first corner was a bit strange, I didn't know how to turn the thing
Braking was also strange, I'm very used to driving trucks/hiluxes so I'm inclined/taught myself to slow trucks down most of the time, not by braking but by releasing throttle/relying on gears to slow me down. So the first few stops I ever made I actually ran through a few red lights on accident ^^
Indicating was also strange for me and have found myself (even now) leaving the indicator on without noticing until I start turning my next corner :) (oops)
So I went back a week later and bought the bike in cash, the guy I was buying from seemed to be quite tight on cash, however I had a big conversation with his wife at his house while waiting for him to come home, she was very interested in what I did (medical student/specializing in oncology) and she managed to peer pressure her husband into giving me a helmet (a really nice one) and leather gloves! he was really great though, showed me how to use the bike a bit, gave me chain oil, an L plate (STILL HAVENT DONE MY HANDLING TEST/got my license) an elastic thing to tie things to the carrier on the back and I was set to go!

Living in wellington I had to go on the motorway, with hardly any riding experience, no license and no gear (I wear jeans and a jersey)
I look back to last week and can't believe the learning experience I went through, I couldn't believe the wind on that motorway! trying to keep at a fast speed so the cars behind me didn't run into me.
over the past weekend and wellington anniversary day I spent it riding/practicing, first around Newtown, Ngaio. Did a ride on my first day around Oriental bay to Kilbirne and back along the bay again to Ngaio. Had a run in, because I still didn't really know how to brake properly, a car just braked suddenly out of no where because she wanted a park on oriental bay. I actually panicked, swerved a little and put my foot on the concrete to try and stop myself even though I was going 40/ish luckily I missed her by going along the side of her.
After a bit of practice of riding around Wellington, in the last few days, I'm a little more confident now, have done 350kms now, driven to the far side of eastbourne and back, been up and down hills all over wellington, been on the motorway a few times.

I've learnt how to turn around corners better without having to slow down as much by leaning over! amazing haha.
Though i'm still an absolute noob, I think with time I'll learn the limits to how far I can lean over without falling off.

I plan to ride back to Dunedin at the end of february, a big solo ride for a real newcomer, but hopefully I'll get enough practice around wellington.

I need to get some gear as I don't have a jacket/pants I just use jeans and a sweat shirt but that's better than nothing I suppose, but can't really get any right now.

Need to get my license -.-

Haha anyway hope you've enjoyed a small intro to my new riding experience

Rajol

rachprice
24th January 2012, 09:36
Hey dude,

I am a TI at Wellington med school - currently working with a GP in Paraparaumu by the name of Dr Lane (he also rides!)

You would be surprised at the doctors that ride - especially orthopaedic surgeons and emergency doctors (the 2 specialties you think would be put off by them)

I too taught myself to ride, but make you you get some proper gear yeah?? If you are that poor there is always second hand stuff off trademe or there is a hand me down thread somewhere on here, so no excuses eh?

If you need anything go see Pete at Wellington motorcycles - he always helps out kiwibikers and people new to riding where he can - is genuine GC but I guess Im biased

Rajol
24th January 2012, 09:42
Oh great! Yeah I've been looking on trademe for something that will fit me, I'm 6'4.
I'm still undergrad and i'm doing my clinical years in Dunedin, not really too keen on Christchurch anymore.
Maybe I'll see you around some day :)

nodrog
24th January 2012, 09:43
Its Katman having a laugh.

oneofsix
24th January 2012, 09:54
Hi,

Reading your 'short' intro scared me mate. Sort out your braking and handling skills. Get some advice on low speed handling and braking and practice that before high speed stuff. The affect of the spinning wheels keeps the bike upright and straight at highway speeds, as one trainer put it, any idiot can ride a bike fast, riding it slow takes skill. Therefore your basic handling test it based around the low speed stuff.
If you are heading for Duners you will need more than sweatshirt and jeans.
Good luck with the doctory stuff, we need more of those, but please get some skills before you become a patient.
Hope this Welly weather improves so you can get some good rides in before you head south. But I have been told that if you can ride in a Welly wind you can ride in any wind and it is good training.

Rajol
24th January 2012, 10:01
Kaneyshna, of course.
Yesterday I practiced emergency braking about 10 times, so I'm quite confident with that now and i'm not afraid of putting my brakes on hard.
I just ordered a cheap jacket with padding from the bargain bin at http://www.motorcyclegear.co.nz

oneofsix
24th January 2012, 10:07
Kaneyshna, of course.
Yesterday I practiced emergency braking about 10 times, so I'm quite confident with that now and i'm not afraid of putting my brakes on hard.
I just ordered a cheap jacket with padding from the bargain bin at http://www.motorcyclegear.co.nz

good on ya. Now some low speed figure of 8s etc. I presume you have looked at what is required for the basic handling so are at least practising those skills.
BRONZ is also running some Tuesday evening low paced rides, aimed at the learner rider and using older rider's experience. There is a thread on KB for it if you are interested.

bogan
24th January 2012, 10:08
Look up some of the wellington mentors, or head along to a bronz learner ride (I think they still do them?). There is a lot to learn when riding, and you want to form good habits from the start. It isn't inherently dangerous, however it is unforgiving of mistakes, so learning from others is much better than learning from mistakes!

jimichelle
24th January 2012, 17:20
stay off the roads until you have some skills
:facepalm:

haydes55
24th January 2012, 18:03

He means that for your own safety. I wouldn't ride on the road without all the gear aswell (does the helmet you got given fit well?).

Rajol
24th January 2012, 18:15
Yeah the helmet fits perfectly,
Due to current circumstances I feel forced to have to ride it.

But I feel my skills are up to scratch for a learner, however I did stall it a couple times while at the stop lights on the terrace here in wellington -.-

will keep practicing! off to go do lots of figure 8s at Newtown hospital :)

Katman
24th January 2012, 18:15
Its Katman having a laugh.

I don't laugh.

Or smile.

Madness
24th January 2012, 18:25
off to go do lots of figure 8s at Newtown hospital :)

Good choice of practice location!

BigAl
24th January 2012, 21:12
Unbelievable that you are riding on the road without any sort of tuition or at least off road experience.

But at least you'll be able to patch yourself up.

GrayWolf
24th January 2012, 22:39
Hello, I'm Rajol (just call me Joel/Jol)

Born in Wellington to a Georgian father and Kiwi mother. I live in Wellington at the moment but I am a medical student at Otago uni,

I grew up on a dairy farm out in the Wairarapa just out of Martinborough, my grandfather was an engineer and raced cars in his younger years but in his later years became a motorbike mechanic and was in the Ulysses Motorbike club for a good 5-10 years, he had his own workshop at home in Martinborough and had a few motorbikes that I remember (I can not remember what they were as I was quite young at the time, but remember a lot of chrome and that they were very loud)

I have been having heating problems with my hilux surf and have got tired of having to pay for getting them fixed all the time, along with running costs and maintenance I've de registered the vehicle.

Attracted to the low running costs and not having to bother with overheating I set out looking for a motorbike

Found one, previously 1 owner, 2009 Keeway supershadow, 250cc, on 6000ks, very good condition as far as I could tell, 1 year WOF and 1 month rego, after market engine and some kind of modification/tuning so the motorbike could be used on the Wellington motorway and hit 120-130 easy.

I turned up to inspect/see the motorbike when I was buying it, knowing nothing about motorbikes, however as soon as I saw it, I knew i wanted it.
Before I turned up I looked on youtube to see how to ride a motorbike, having my full car license and knowing how to drive a manual, I just watched videos on how to change gears and such.
Have never ridden motorbikes previously but turned up knowing where the brakes were, clutch and how to change gears, I gave it a test drive around heretaunga in Upperhutt.

My first corner was a bit strange, I didn't know how to turn the thing
Braking was also strange, I'm very used to driving trucks/hiluxes so I'm inclined/taught myself to slow trucks down most of the time, not by braking but by releasing throttle/relying on gears to slow me down. So the first few stops I ever made I actually ran through a few red lights on accident ^^
Indicating was also strange for me and have found myself (even now) leaving the indicator on without noticing until I start turning my next corner :) (oops)
So I went back a week later and bought the bike in cash, the guy I was buying from seemed to be quite tight on cash, however I had a big conversation with his wife at his house while waiting for him to come home, she was very interested in what I did (medical student/specializing in oncology) and she managed to peer pressure her husband into giving me a helmet (a really nice one) and leather gloves! he was really great though, showed me how to use the bike a bit, gave me chain oil, an L plate (STILL HAVENT DONE MY HANDLING TEST/got my license) an elastic thing to tie things to the carrier on the back and I was set to go!

Living in wellington I had to go on the motorway, with hardly any riding experience, no license and no gear (I wear jeans and a jersey)
I look back to last week and can't believe the learning experience I went through, I couldn't believe the wind on that motorway! trying to keep at a fast speed so the cars behind me didn't run into me.
over the past weekend and wellington anniversary day I spent it riding/practicing, first around Newtown, Ngaio. Did a ride on my first day around Oriental bay to Kilbirne and back along the bay again to Ngaio. Had a run in, because I still didn't really know how to brake properly, a car just braked suddenly out of no where because she wanted a park on oriental bay. I actually panicked, swerved a little and put my foot on the concrete to try and stop myself even though I was going 40/ish luckily I missed her by going along the side of her.
After a bit of practice of riding around Wellington, in the last few days, I'm a little more confident now, have done 350kms now, driven to the far side of eastbourne and back, been up and down hills all over wellington, been on the motorway a few times.

I've learnt how to turn around corners better without having to slow down as much by leaning over! amazing haha.
Though i'm still an absolute noob, I think with time I'll learn the limits to how far I can lean over without falling off.

I plan to ride back to Dunedin at the end of february, a big solo ride for a real newcomer, but hopefully I'll get enough practice around wellington.

I need to get some gear as I don't have a jacket/pants I just use jeans and a sweat shirt but that's better than nothing I suppose, but can't really get any right now.

Need to get my license -.-

Haha anyway hope you've enjoyed a small intro to my new riding experience

Rajol

OK, this HAS to be a 'wind up' by a regular on KB surely?
if not, OMFG! Joel, get your basic handling course done mate before you even VENTURE onto the road. You cannot hold a learner licence untill you have completed one. Road Rash Acadamey (where you are learning right now) is NOT the way to do it,its expensive and it can bloody hurt!

zmlam
25th January 2012, 22:38
I read this intro to your biking experience cringing!

No problems with learning and all, and thanks for sharing it - but you sure are doing it all round the wrong way; certainly don't want to be shouting that have done all you did with your experience and NOT even done your basic handling!

Good to know that you know what you need to learn and what you have and haven't learnt, kudos to you for that - and keep on practicing. I was similarly a newbie like yourself not long ago, and a few things I learnt was - don't get too confident about your abilities. There are many a things which can catch us out which we don't be aware of, so keep looking up forums/tips. Ie there's a link about common ways of dropping a bike (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/131620-Common-methods-of-dropping-bike). Learnt valuable lessons from other people's mistakes/experiences..

As for protection - jeans melt into your skin when you slide, its really worthwhile getting kit, esp when you're learning, certainly when you're driving down to dunedin (sounds epic! do bare in mind there's quite a bit of fatigue, moreso than driving in a car, so plan for lots of breaks). Also have been on extremely crazy crosswinds, where you're pushed around the road - again, something you may need to factor in when your travelling long distant, perhaps have backup plans in case you can't make it to your destination.

As for your comment about being cheaper - when you add up servicing, and replacing bits and pieces, it can be just as much as owning a car. Its easy to look at how much cheaper petrol is, but tyres don't last as long and are more expensive to replace, there are service schedules, etc..

But do take care out there - welcome, and enjoy! Its a real blast! Was a fellow student in Dunny many years ago, so know just how cold and icy the road conditions can be - keep safe!

Rajol
27th January 2012, 09:08
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6322471/Wild-winds-snowfall-hits-country

Lol i thought it was a bit windy last night, I thought I was going to fall off my bike the entire time :facepalm:

RSrider
27th January 2012, 12:03
I have to agree with the previous posters. Kudos for being so keen on learning, but my god.....GET YOUR DAMN LEARNERS BEFORE GOING ON THE ROAD!!

Not only is it illegal, but it's the kind of thing that gives motorbike riders in general a bad name. Going out on public roads with no experience is just asking for trouble.

It takes a half day course and a quick theory test to get your learners, so just go and do it, otherwise you're likely to end up as another statistic.

GingerMidget
27th January 2012, 17:34
Basic handling skills _$120 ish
Learners $93.90

Alternative.

Dying because you don't know how to stop.

$200 fine for incorrect class of licence.
Possible confiscation of the bike on the spot.
possible loss of licence for 28 days on the spot for dangerous driving.

Do not get back on that bike until you have some proper gear. Jeans won't save anything, and I can speak from first hand experience how much it hurts when you come off, even at low speeds wearing jeans and a jacket. Make sure you're gear fits. Too large, and it won't do squat.

Don't plan an ambitious ride like wellington to dunedin by the end of feb either. That is a hell of a long way, even for an experienced rider.

Also, 'you don't have a choice? bull. You do have a choice, you just made a silly one.

Hawkeye
28th January 2012, 10:29

+1 (Especially the Welly roads.) So some numnut allows you to take out their pride and joy. Someone who doesn't even have the basic skills. :facepalm:

Do us all a favour and fix the car.

Rajol
1st February 2012, 09:42
Just letting you guys know I did my basic handling, did it perfectly with a perfect score on my own bike, everyone else was using scooters and my bike is literally twice as long as them
got my license permit too

going to sign up for that acc compensated $50 bike ride too, to learn skills :)

oneofsix
1st February 2012, 09:43
Just letting you guys know I did my basic handling, did it perfectly with a perfect score on my own bike, everyone else was using scooters and my bike is literally twice as long as them :)
got my license permit too :)

going to sign up for that acc compensated $50 bike ride too to learn skillz :)

Sweet, well done.

GrayWolf
1st February 2012, 12:30
Just letting you guys know I did my basic handling, did it perfectly with a perfect score on my own bike, everyone else was using scooters and my bike is literally twice as long as them
got my license permit too

going to sign up for that acc compensated $50 bike ride too, to learn skills :)

Good move, Well done :niceone:
next good move will be to get some good (or even cheap) bike gear.... It never seems like its worth the 'hassle' UNTIL the day you really need it...