PDA

View Full Version : Crash kit

Pseudonym
26th January 2012, 07:03
Right, I’m putting together a crash kit for us to carry around as we zip through the countryside.
This isn’t to whip out for every little nick and scratch you get, this is for when you round a corner and one of your group is down or you find a car on its roof.
This is to keep them breathing and stop blood loss while you wait for the professionals to come.

I want to keep it light and small, something you can have in a little pack/bum bag, taped to your inner fairing or under your seat.

I want to know what you would want to have in it.
Small and light remember, not all of us have Goldwings and 10 years of paramedic training for a full kit.

I can have them put in a waterproof sealed one use pack.
Celox Z-fold gauze, this is used in nice happy places like Afghanistan and Iraq by the medics to stop leaks, good proven stuff, maybe two of them.
Gloves and a CPR mouth guard, got to keep yourself safe too.
Something to cut our gear off, what I’d like runs at $200USD per unit so ether some leather eating scissors or maybe a blunt tipped rescue knife? Any suggestions? (I’ll look into the St Johns supplier for their shears)
One of the emergency blankets, they keep rain off and can been seen from the air.

One use, no opening them just for fun and the outside will be labelled with the contents.
Two reasons for having them a one hit use, firstly it keeps them sealed and watertight.
Secondly, and most importantly, everything you pull out is going to be contaminated.

I’m getting advice from paramedics and rescue organisations, but any ideas that you have please let me know.

Sorry, no idea on cost yet.

MSTRS
26th January 2012, 08:17
No idea on stuff you'd need, but...
A point to remember when cutting off leathers. Not everyone will thank you for completing the job of destroying them, so if you can, consider ripping up the seams. That way, they can maybe be repaired later.

Timmeh:P
26th January 2012, 08:34
Good idea!

I currently carry around a small first aid kit under my seat on my bike. But is lacking a lot of things that would be useful in an emergency situation.

I would also add the following:

Hand sanitizer
Curved scissors (for cutting cloths not leathers) - so you don't cause further injuries with sharp pointed scissors.
Triangular bandage
Normal saline - wash wounds / eyes etc.
Steri-strips
Burn cream
Large bandages - not silly small ones. Bigger the better!

Maybe a sticker for the bike? If you had a crash - a sticker on the motorcycle with: "First Aid Kit on Board" (or something similar) may be useful to who ever may come across you first.

Gremlin
26th January 2012, 10:12
Made a blog on it a little while ago... may be of some use: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/entry.php/2290-Buying-stuff-you%E2%80%99ll-hopefully-never-need-%2829-09-2011%29

The Singing Chef
26th January 2012, 10:55
what about a flare, for visibility from obscure places.

Bytor
26th January 2012, 11:14
or visibility from obscure places.

Isn't that called a high viz vest:laugh:

The Singing Chef
26th January 2012, 11:36
Isn't that called a high viz vest:laugh:

Don't be silly! nobody sees hi-vis vests haha. I mean for when you go over a bank like Katie pie.

Pseudonym
26th January 2012, 11:57
Curved scissors (for cutting cloths not leathers) - so you don't cause further injuries with sharp pointed scissors.

The scissors I’m looking at have a blunt (folded) lower blade tip to prevent them stabbing in to the patient.

No idea on stuff you'd need, but...
A point to remember when cutting off leathers. Not everyone will thank you for completing the job of destroying them, so if you can, consider ripping up the seams. That way, they can maybe be repaired later.

Cutting down the side of zips and through stretch panels is often the easiest but depending on the location of the wound may not be practical.
I have to admit I’d be a bit upset if someone totalled my leathers…

Large bandages - not silly small ones. Bigger the better!

A couple of big bandages where on the first list but I dropped them for the space, if it’s too big no one will carry it.
Might be a good idea to put them in though, or maybe one large one folded flat?
Burn cream and steri-strips are getting back to the “nicks & cuts” sort of kit, good to have in a pocket but not much use in the aftermath of a major spill.
Some sort of sanitizer though…

I like the sticker idea, what about a good size (100X30mm) “Emergency Kit” with a separate arrow that can be pointed to the location?

The concept behind this kit is for first response to keep them alive while the chopper is on its way.
Think of it as a supplementary kit if you will, it’s is the one you don’t want to ever have to use.

Made a blog on it a little while ago... may be of some use: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/entry.php/2290-Buying-stuff-you%E2%80%99ll-hopefully-never-need-%2829-09-2011%29

Cool ta.
I like the PLB! I have a GPS tracker on the bike with a SOS function but yours would be the better bet.

Be a good idea for the off road/adventure riders but even then I’d want them separate.
And the rescue blanket is a good marker too.

Thanks guys, keep them coming!

p.dath
26th January 2012, 12:00
There's actually a European standard for first aid kits for automotive use.

I'd start by going to the AA and simply buying one of them ready to go. CycleTreads also sell a small version more suited to motorcyclists (which is what I carry under my seat).

I also did one of the St John's first aid express courses. Takes a whole day. Well worthwhile. I think I even know what to use most of the things in my first aid kit for!

Pseudonym
26th January 2012, 12:38
The problem with the standard kits is they often lack anything more than a few Band-Aids and some dinky little scissors.
The little kits are a good idea and handy to have (I have one in my tail pack) but not much use for the more life threatening injuries.

What I’m hoping to get out there is more of a supplementary kit to stop major blood loss from penetrating injuries that can occur from broken bones on their way out or bits of bike etc on their way in or where the road or other object has taken a chunk out of someone.

But a first aid course is a must.

p.dath
26th January 2012, 13:19
The problem with the standard kits is they often lack anything more than a few Band-Aids and some dinky little scissors.
The little kits are a good idea and handy to have (I have one in my tail pack) but not much use for the more life threatening injuries.

What I’m hoping to get out there is more of a supplementary kit to stop major blood loss from penetrating injuries that can occur from broken bones on their way out or bits of bike etc on their way in or where the road or other object has taken a chunk out of someone.

Even the little kit I have on my motorcycle has that. You just need to pack the wound with gauze or something and wrap a bandage around it. I guess it depends on how "major" it is. Someone coming off at 100km/h on tar seal wearing a T-Shirt is going to have a lot of major blood loss ...

Pseudonym
26th January 2012, 14:17
And that is what this kit is for, the large chest wound or cut artery that can happen in a major crash.
Or a minor one if you’re in a T-shirt…
The trick is to stop the blood loss, if too much gets out the body will shut down and the chance of survival drops.

If you’re happy with what you have then stick with it.

p.dath
26th January 2012, 16:16
And that is what this kit is for, the large chest wound or cut artery that can happen in a major crash.
Or a minor one if you’re in a T-shirt…
The trick is to stop the blood loss, if too much gets out the body will shut down and the chance of survival drops.

If you’re happy with what you have then stick with it.

A cut artery is not such a problem. Simply apply pressure with your hand. In my case, I probably wouldn't do anything else. I'd just wait till the ambulance arrived. It doesn't matter how you've stopped that bleed, just as long as it is stopped.

But a large chest wound? Your probably going to be carrying around a very big first aid kit if you want to be able to cater for the most serious of accidents. A large white van with a red cross on the side would probably be about right. :) Your probably going to need a lot of training to deal with an accident like that as well.

Very commendable.

DrunkenMistake
26th January 2012, 16:27
Sorry I cant contribute anything of use, but I think this is a fantastic idea,
some sportsbike riders with dark solid screens could even consider tucking them in behind the screen so they are there and just out of the way but not overly visible, having them on the inside of the fairings taped in would also be a good idea, but I would be worried about the heat from the motor/exhaust melting any plastic the pack is in, or its components, not sure if there is something to look into in that I dont know the logistics of packaging haha.

BurningPlastic
26th January 2012, 17:09
You need a pair of trauma shears for cutting stuff off - they usually have a plastic covered handle and a folded lip on the lower blade so they'll run along skin underneath the clothing as you cut.

I also try to carry a pressure bandage, some pads, gauze and tape (usually 2 rolls - some light tape for holding pads in place and heavy stuff if binding is needed). A little bottle of betadine is good for disinfecting quickly. Steristrips or similar are handy, and if you have the space a pair of tweezers is useful as well. Paracetomol and Ibuprofen are useful as well. Gloves and a breath shield as well.

The saline is a good idea although I don't usually have space in my bike kit. If you have saline then it's often useful to have a syringe so you can direct it more accurately...

I also carry always carry a knife and that can be useful in a lot of situations.

D.

Pseudonym
26th January 2012, 17:39
A cut artery is not such a problem. Simply apply pressure with your hand. In my case, I probably wouldn't do anything else. I'd just wait till the ambulance arrived. It doesn't matter how you've stopped that bleed, just as long as it is stopped.

But a large chest wound? Your probably going to be carrying around a very big first aid kit if you want to be able to cater for the most serious of accidents. A large white van with a red cross on the side would probably be about right. :) Your probably going to need a lot of training to deal with an accident like that as well.

Very commendable.

http://www.celoxmedical.com/

Go there, read what the product does.
This is for the large chest wound and/or arterial bleeding that you just can’t stop the blood pumping out of.
I do like the “simply apply pressure” though.
Try it some time, it’s not a little pressure you need, and it isn’t that simple.

Yea, full medic training would be nice but just on the off chance you don’t have it then this will be the next best thing.

Why the fuck am I arguing with you?
If you don’t want one then don’t get one!
I’m trying to get some others ideas on what they might like in a little kit that may save someone.
And why are you arguing?

One shot to try and convince this arrogant idiot and if I have no luck I’ll quit now.

Right, you and your mate are out on a sunny day in the country zipping along some lonely road.
You round a corner and climb a small hill.
Over the top you find some local in his ute has pulled out of his drive towing a trailer.
Your mate who was in the lead hasn’t the time or distance to stop and nowhere to go as the ute was turning right with the back of the trailer still at the edge of his drive.
Your mate hits and gets his left leg caught between the top edge of the trailer and his bike, snapping and twisting his femur and punching it through his inner thigh cutting the femoral artery.
You have to do two things, stop the blood loss from under the leathers and get help.
Help is 30 minutes away.
Your kit, as good as it was when you got a bee sting last week, is as useful as pissing into a volcano.
Your mates’ death: The result of a failure to plan.

And no, you don’t do anything else, you do just wait for the ambulance to arrive.
Nice to know you learnt one thing from your course.

rachprice
26th January 2012, 17:58
So are you trying to build a kit in the hope of selling them??

Jimmy's wife - riffraff if I remember correctly is a paramedic she might have some ideas....

Putting a hell of a lot of pressure on a severed femoral is still pretty good, however you lose a lot of blood through breaking any bone - 1-2l through the femur

Unless you do a first aid course you aren't really going to know what to do when it comes to serious injuries

What serious injuries you looking to cover?
-Bleeding
-Exposure (emergency blanket)
impaired airway?

Definitely scissors/knife as mentioned - anyone that is pissed you cut off their leathers when seriously crashed need to get over it, if barely conscious or screaming in pain, those things need to be coming off.
CPR face shield for sure, though I know it wouldn't stop me not having one - on the other hand pretty small to fit into a kit

Pseudonym
26th January 2012, 18:01
I’m away from a computer for a couple of days, but keep em coming and I’ll run the ideas past those who know and in a week or so we’ll hopefully see what they come up with.
Ta

sleemanj
26th January 2012, 18:10
Femur through leg and copious bleeding? Take your belt put it higher than the wound, find a strong branch or fence waratah, put it through the belt, and start twisting.

When your skills are limited, your equipment is limited and your time is limited, you gotta think, what would McGuyver do?

Virago
26th January 2012, 18:18
Femur through leg and copious bleeding? Take your belt put it higher than the wound, find a strong branch or fence waratah, put it through the belt, and start twisting...

Such over-enthusiastic tourniquets generally do more harm than good.

Ocean1
26th January 2012, 18:26
Femur through leg and copious bleeding? Take your belt put it higher than the wound, find a strong branch or fence waratah, put it through the belt, and start twisting.

When your skills are limited, your equipment is limited and your time is limited, you gotta think, what would McGuyver do?

Such over-enthusiastic tourniquets generally do more harm than good.

I asked. "A tourniquet isn't likely to work well on a femoral artery, if he's unconcious spend 30 seconds trying to find it and pinch it closed with your fingers. If you can't do that wad up a shirt or somat and shove it into the groin, hold it there until a medic tells you to stop."

Sliver
26th January 2012, 19:10

lol nice.:laugh:

SMOKEU
26th January 2012, 20:06
I carry a stash of codeine and paracetamol so if I fuck myself up badly I've got some pain relief with me.

avgas
26th January 2012, 21:09
Cigar and Jack Daniels.
http://shamediastudies.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/cigarette-ads.jpg
Jack is for the pain and Cigar is if you can hear the fat lady sing.

Gremlin
26th January 2012, 21:47

Well, as I put in my blog, I'm not a medic, and when coming across an incident/accident, see my primary duties as raising the alarm for trained medics to come (be it through mobile or PLB), preventing further injuries and managing the scene to try keep things safe.

Being keen as to assist the person, but not having full training, I could do more harm than good. Realistically, we're a small country. Help is never a day away, more like 1-2 hours away max.

Ocean1
26th January 2012, 21:52
Realistically, we're a small country. Help is never a day away, more like 1-2 hours away max.

Smaller since they started using choppers.

Choppers cost ACC an unspecified but significant hit every year, because more people get to the ED within that first hour and survive to consume vast quantities of very expensive healthcare.

bsasuper
27th January 2012, 17:56
I'll buy if you include Bear Grills Knife

Flip
27th January 2012, 18:50
My 10c

A brain, a emergency blanket, a clean tee shirt and a couple of rolls of insulation-duct tape. Also my trusty razor sharp folding hunting knife. The blanket the shirt and the tape are optional extras.

A couple of years ago I kept a lady alive in a car accident just by holding her head up, but she was seriously fucked up by her injuries.

I also carry a wee first aid kit in the scooter, it has some antihistimine because I am alergic to wasps.

If I had to I could stop a bad bleader but I would want my long nosed vice grips back autoclaved.

Flip
27th January 2012, 19:14
Oh first aid 101

S afety-yours.
A irways
B reathing
C irculation

Mooch
27th January 2012, 20:15
Right, I’m putting together a crash kit for us to carry around as we zip through the countryside.
This isn’t to whip out for every little nick and scratch you get, this is for when you round a corner and one of your group is down or you find a car on its roof.
This is to keep them breathing and stop blood loss while you wait for the professionals to come.

I want to keep it light and small, something you can have in a little pack/bum bag, taped to your inner fairing or under your seat.

I want to know what you would want to have in it.
Small and light remember, not all of us have Goldwings and 10 years of paramedic training for a full kit.

I can have them put in a waterproof sealed one use pack.
Celox Z-fold gauze, this is used in nice happy places like Afghanistan and Iraq by the medics to stop leaks, good proven stuff, maybe two of them.
Gloves and a CPR mouth guard, got to keep yourself safe too.
Something to cut our gear off, what I’d like runs at $200USD per unit so ether some leather eating scissors or maybe a blunt tipped rescue knife? Any suggestions? (I’ll look into the St Johns supplier for their shears)
One of the emergency blankets, they keep rain off and can been seen from the air.

One use, no opening them just for fun and the outside will be labelled with the contents.
Two reasons for having them a one hit use, firstly it keeps them sealed and watertight.
Secondly, and most importantly, everything you pull out is going to be contaminated.

I’m getting advice from paramedics and rescue organisations, but any ideas that you have please let me know.

Sorry, no idea on cost yet.

Have the second kit listed here. http://www.lifeflight.org.nz/shop.php

Have added razine to the kit for bee stings and the like. Quite handy to have anti histemines esp. if you come across people that react badly to being stung.

trustme
27th January 2012, 20:35
Couple of tampons. I shit you not, got a better idea for something applied to a wound that will suck up blood.

Flip
28th January 2012, 04:41
Tampax, we are about 10 years too old for us to ever need them again.

If you ever had to pack out or wound dress for transport a shooting victum they work but you don't have to dress a patient these days. You simply have to preserve life until the chopper gets there, the ambo's do all the rest. When I left the service I had a box full of those army field wound dressings, I have never even opened one.

You are much more likely to not splint but to support a broken limb.

You use what you have got, the preverbial shirt off your back so to speak if necessary. The most important thing you can bring is some training, all the tools in the world won't make you a first aider.

Geordie_Biker6
29th January 2012, 20:35
Try one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/knives/other/auction-443263990.htm instead of scissors or shears or one of these (leatherman Z-tool) http://img2.tuita.cc/a1/t/42/99/1186382235-1828374.jpg. Both of these have other tools like oxygen wrench, hex wrench, glass breakers etc., and will eliminate the risk of cutting the injured.

One of these for a case?? http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/camping-outdoors/other/auction-443963622.htm Totaly waterproof, floating, easy to see and quickly accessable.

check out some survival tins/ kits on youtube. i know theyre more hunting/bushcraft orientated but there are a lot of good ideas there, especially with NZ bieng such a rural country.