PDA

View Full Version : upsizing your bike gear for winter

FROSTY
23rd July 2005, 16:37
something maybee to concider when sussing out bike gear is what you intend to wear underneath. its all fine and dandy having form fitting gear. But if you're freezing ya thingees off cos you cant fit warm gear under it youre actually bein counterproductive.
IMHO only ya understand

sAsLEX
23rd July 2005, 16:52
layers can always go on top frosty as well, a nice woollen thermal under aint thick , combined with a wind/water proof top layer over the protective layer should keep you snuggly without effecting you snug fitting leathers or whatever.

Layers=good

JohnBoy
23rd July 2005, 17:51
something maybee to concider when sussing out bike gear is what you intend to wear underneath.

i agree, i have heaps of gear that i interchange to suit the type of ride and conditions:
- 1 one piece leathers (fast road or track use only)
- 1 leather jacket (road use, dry)
- 1 coudura jacket(road use,wet/ cold)
- 1 pair of coudura pants (road use, wet/ cold)
- 1 pair of draggin jeans (slow or short dist road use, dry)

both leather and coudura jackets are big enough to have many other layers underneith but they are pretty warm by themselves.

however the best advice for winter riding is to keep dry, i had (until VMCC RD3) a cheap plastic jacket which went over my leather jacket. it was the best for keeping the elements out, will have to get another one

Lou Girardin
24th July 2005, 13:04
You mean I should wear more than a T shirt and shorts under my Spidi gear?

TLDV8
24th July 2005, 13:32

:clap: I still have my Belstaff suit bought sometime in the early 80's,various leather jackets etc etc,and being old school :whistle: wouldn't even look at those new fangled suits with thermal liners etc until i bit the bullet and tried one (i hated it until i got used to it) ... Full Spidi here,just add/remove liners to suit the climate :banana:

Coyote
24th July 2005, 14:19
Pooftas, can't ya stand the cold? :p

Madmax
24th July 2005, 14:26
you wear shorts, just underpants for me
:whistle:

Coyote
24th July 2005, 14:29
you wear shorts, just underpants for me
:whistle:
You go that far?

FROSTY
24th July 2005, 15:23
Pooftas, can't ya stand the cold? :p
Mate when you have wet gloves and theres friggin snow falling on ya. Call me any kinda poof ya wand--I wannna be warm :yes:

marty
24th July 2005, 16:32
pairs of thermal longs and as many stonycreek tees as I want, plus a . :yes:

for some reason i read that as lermal thongs, and was having some trouble with that....

Lou Girardin
25th July 2005, 10:14
You go that far?

You wear less?
Like leaving skids in your riding gear as well as the road huh?

Wolf
25th July 2005, 11:15
Gargres, Sprots bikes, Communting and now lermal thongs - 'tis truly a language of our own. The learning curve for newbies just went up a bit higher, I fear...

ajturbo
25th July 2005, 19:45
Mate when you have wet gloves and theres friggin snow falling on ya. Call me any kinda poof ya wand--I wannna be warm :yes:

2 things..

WTF are you going to think up tomorrow to chat about?????

and

how would a Dorklander know ANYTHING about snow falling off your gloves????

i find that when you wipe the snow from your visor... it is a good time to stop and have a JD...