PDA

View Full Version : East Cape, weekend of 4 Feb

rapid van cleef
1st February 2012, 09:55
I may be riding round the cape from Whakatane then onto to Taupo and back to Whakatane this Friday/Saturday.
I went round the cape around 3 months ago and there was a section near Te Kaha covered in dolomite and fairly crappy.

has anyone done this ride recently?

If so, what are the state of the roads. We will be on sports bikes.

thanks

raftn
1st February 2012, 16:00
I did the ride this weekend just gone, theere is still a good 2km stretch that is undergoing road works.

There are lots of patches of new seal, some unmarked. THe cow that was in the middle of the road has probably wandered off by now.

You can read my blog about the trip here...

http://rogerfleming-raftnn.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/east-cape-ride.html

Have fun, but keep your wits about you.

rapid van cleef
1st February 2012, 16:43
thanks for the reply.. did u manage to refuel around the cape? if so, where and what time was it? I know fuel can be sparse around there. I only get around 220ks out of a full tank .

Maha
1st February 2012, 16:48
Theres fuel at Waihau Bay/Te Puia springs ...and Tolaga Bay I think?
I got fuel at Gisborne and refueled at Waihau Bay when I went around the cape....220 kms.
So Fuel up at Opotiki...top up at Waihau Bay....job done.

gunnyrob
1st February 2012, 21:23
also limited fuel at te araroa. Take the signs that read "uneven surface" seriously as there is some severe slumping. There are also large trucks that barrel around the tight corners, so watch your lines. There are large amounts of stock, so do not ride in the dark. We encountered pigs, horses goats and cows last weekend (this one actually chased us!).

Friggen excellent ride though! have fun

Stirts
2nd February 2012, 08:00
We encountered pigs, horses goats and cows last weekend (this one actually chased us!).

Yeah, the locals can get a bit excitable and randy up that way :msn-wink:

Retep5
2nd February 2012, 08:08
I know someone that has just done it and got a tyre puncture on their bike.

Took a few days to get a tyre to gisborne and was fun getting the bike back to gisborne they didn't have a puncture kit with them.

Just saying might be worthwhile having one out in that area if you don't. :)

rapid van cleef
2nd February 2012, 14:53
Yeah, i got me a puncture repair kit. thanks again guys. we are defintly doing whakatane- gissy. staying overnight friday. then gissy back to whakatane on saturday. some of the guys are coming from hamilton. dont think i fancy doing all of that (gissy to hamilton in 1 day) on a sports bike.

anyhoo. heres hoping for some clean and dry roads with plenty of open fuel stations!

thanks again for the replies.

swbarnett
3rd February 2012, 22:45
I may be riding round the cape from Whakatane then onto to Taupo and back to Whakatane this Friday/Saturday.
I went round the cape around 3 months ago and there was a section near Te Kaha covered in dolomite and fairly crappy.

has anyone done this ride recently?

If so, what are the state of the roads. We will be on sports bikes.

thanks
My wife and I just came back from Whakatane today. Did the cape Tuesday/Wednesday (stayed a night at Hicks Bay). Biggest comment is to watch out for unmarked gravel. I had a major near-miss on a 25k corner with the rear wheel sliding out on me. Also, there were a lot of road-works. Mostly surface patching with one stretch where they've re-routed the road inland because of slipping on the old route.

Last time I rode the cape was just after this slip had happened. The alternate route was fresh in, one lane and consisted of huge (double-fist sized boulders). I was sitting at the lights waiting my turn, not looking forward to it when I was told to go past the slip "you'll make it" I was told. Indeed I did. Kinda handy being single-tracked when there's only about a third of a lane of road left.

BTW: We've never failed to get petrol at Te Araroa.

Conquiztador
6th February 2012, 10:06
I take that you are on your way back now and do not need any help anymore. But FWIW: I did the trip over New Years. Yep, Te Araroa had petrol. Opens at 9am. You pay at the shop and take your reciept to the pump attendant and he will fill what you paid for.

All already said re road, the slips and the major re-work higher up closer to Opotiki (cant remember exactly where, but approx 2-3K's of serios dirt road)

I also rode to the Cape (out East from Te Araroa). Well worth it. Just need to be fit to walk up those steps. And partly dirt road/gravel. But not too bad.

Hope you enjoyed the trip!

On the way to East Cape Light House while waiting for the petrol station to open...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=256792&d=1328493421

rapid van cleef
6th February 2012, 19:01
thanks for all the replis guys.

well, after much deliberation ,we decided to ditch the east cape and ride onto napier , then back over the hills to taupo. very little road works. the road from gissy to napier is fun.. after the hills north of napier, the boring straights through the ureuweras( i think) ensued. but all good. i had a good ride with my brother and his brother in law. my brother is leaving NZ after 3 weeks here and i t was a great way to spend time together.

i ll definetly do that ride again.

thanks for all the input and helpful comments guys

grbaker
9th February 2012, 10:27
4 weeks ago... still about 2km of road works south of Waihau Bay. Heaps of 'Uneven Surface' signs from Hicks Bays to Gisborne.. some worth paying attention to.

Couple of gas stations without gas... but our bikes made the 320+km from Gisborne to Opotiki okay.

A relaxed ride was enjoyable.