PDA

View Full Version : MEPs back call for "Biker Friendly" crash barriers

Bob
2nd February 2012, 01:28
Given your ongoing campaign to end "cheesecutter" crash barriers being used, thought you might like to see what is happening - or not - in Europe:

MEPs have joined the campaign for biker-friendly guardrails. The European Committee for Standardization (CEN) were unable to agree a standard for barriers, instead adopting a ‘technical specification (TS) for "motorcycle road restraint systems which reduce the impact severity of motorcyclist collisions’. Techical specifications are non-binding, so member states can choose to ignore and adopt less effective standards.

Dutch MEP Corien Wortmann-Kool along with compatriot Wim van de Camp and Spanish MEP Inés Ayala Sender have thrown their support behind a EU standard being imposed.

Wortmann-Kool said “The Commission urgently needs to take prompt action and promote a European standard for guardreails which are safe also for motorcyclists. Every life counts!" She was supported by van de Camp, who added "I am a motorcyclist myself and I feel very uncomfortable in bends protected by guardrails smiling at me like a shark. We need a European standard for guardrails which takes the safety of motorcyclists into account."

FEMA is involved in a European Research project aimed at improving guardrails and hope that with additional pressure being brought to bear by MEPs their findings will be adopted.