PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass fairings?

The Singing Chef
5th February 2012, 15:16
Does anybody have experience on making fibreglass fairings at home? Looking at knocking up a pair for my Sv650 1999 and don't have the money to get any.

nzspokes
5th February 2012, 15:28
Just use that spray on foam stuff. That way if you crash you will bounce.

The Singing Chef
5th February 2012, 15:32
:laugh: That :laugh:would be a sight!
Just use that spray on foam stuff. That way if you crash you will bounce.

hayd3n
5th February 2012, 15:48
Does anybody have experience on making fibreglass fairings at home? Looking at knocking up a pair for my Sv650 1999 and don't have the money to get any.

fairings what are they for??

The Singing Chef
5th February 2012, 15:51
fairings what are they for??

Haha is that because you have a naked bike? :blink:

Racing, because the speed of the wind gets annoying and I would like to be a little more slipstreamed, also to protect the engine if I bin it :facepalm:

hayd3n
5th February 2012, 16:01
Haha is that because you have a naked bike? :blink:

Racing, because the speed of the wind gets annoying and I would like to be a little more slipstreamed, also to protect the engine if I bin it :facepalm:
you mean when? lol
have fun !!! im jelous

bogan
5th February 2012, 16:04
If it's just a money thing, good luck making them for less than you can buy em for! If it's because you want something they don't make, then it's worth looking into.

Just trade your bike for one that has em already, it's only a suzuki anyway :bleh:

Also, fairings won't offer much bin protection, get some crash bungs for that.

The Singing Chef
5th February 2012, 16:15
If it's just a money thing, good luck making them for less than you can buy em for! If it's because you want something they don't make, then it's worth looking into.

Just trade your bike for one that has em already, it's only a suzuki anyway :bleh:

Also, fairings won't offer much bin protection, get some crash bungs for that.

yea haven't looked at prices yet, is it that expensive?

all the other sv race bikes are a bit more expensive than mine so that's a no go.

yea another possibility, though my fairings have helped before.

bogan
5th February 2012, 16:20
yea haven't looked at prices yet, is it that expensive?

all the other sv race bikes are a bit more expensive than mine so that's a no go.

yea another possibility, though my fairings have helped before.

Molds, release agent, gelcoats/resins, fibre itself. It adds up pretty quick. And the time required is pretty phenomenal.

Is it an SV only class or something?

crash bungs sometimes save the fairing from major damage too, pretty useful if you have one!

The Singing Chef
5th February 2012, 16:22
Molds, release agent, gelcoats/resins, fibre itself. It adds up pretty quick. And the time required is pretty phenomenal.

Is it an SV only class or something?

crash bungs sometimes save the fairing from major damage too, pretty useful if you have one!

NA for pro twins, and ill be doing it full kiwi style and make my own mold lol

bogan
5th February 2012, 16:28
NA for pro twins, and ill be doing it full kiwi style and make my own mold lol

More than SVs in pro twins!

What do you plan to make the mold out of though? Full fairing will require a lot of material, MDF is fairly common if you got the equipment to shape it quickly. Also a clay male mold, then the proper female mold made from fibreglass on top of that.

tigertim20
5th February 2012, 20:03
for the time, money, mess and hassle, youre better off just buying them.
I have seen GSXR glass fairings fitted onto an SV, it worked well with only a couple of basic brackets needed and looked good too.
Ask around any other riders and see if they have some crashed ones you can get for cheap, patching is pretty easy to do, that might save you a lot of money and time

DrunkenMistake
5th February 2012, 20:25
Doesnt have to be pretty for pro twins,
Just get your filthy mits on some second hand fairings of another bike and cut the belly pan down the centre and add a strip if you need to widen it, its just a matter of making mounts for them to fit. would be cheaper than a home made job, and cheaper than a brand new made to fit set

The Singing Chef
5th February 2012, 20:51
Yea good points, will have a scout around. Cheers, ha was looking for a project to get me of KB so much. :laugh:

bogan
5th February 2012, 20:58
Yea good points, will have a scout around. Cheers, ha was looking for a project to get me of KB so much. :laugh:

I'm pretty close to having a garage CNC which should be able to pump out mdf molds, if you have one or two others to sell some fairings to, should pay for the mold production costs.

Large fiberglass parts will certainly get you off kb though, they reckon about 40 hours work to get a tank mold up to standard, then probly at least another 10 hours for each part you pull out of it.

DrunkenMistake
5th February 2012, 21:03
I'm pretty close to having a garage CNC which should be able to pump out mdf molds, if you have one or two others to sell some fairings to, should pay for the mold production costs.

Large fiberglass parts will certainly get you off kb though, they reckon about 40 hours work to get a tank mold up to standard, then probly at least another 10 hours for each part you pull out of it.

When you have said CNC stuff please PM me... :P

The Singing Chef
5th February 2012, 21:04

That is a fair amount of hours, would definitely keep me busy! I'll have an ask around if anyone wants some.

mossy1200
5th February 2012, 21:16
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/fairing/auction-446100325.htm

adapt that you couldnt make it for less

DrunkenMistake
5th February 2012, 21:29
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/fairing/auction-446100325.htm

Thats a good find,
and a good price!

DrunkenMistake
5th February 2012, 21:33
ABS, butttt also a good price http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/fairing/auction-446223856.htm ...

nzspokes
6th February 2012, 07:05

He better be quick, they would look good on my CBX. :bleh:

Thats a demon deal. Go buy it Matt.

The Singing Chef
6th February 2012, 07:12

how easy would it be to make these fit the sv? damn good price though, bit of tlc and she'll be right.

nzspokes
6th February 2012, 07:17
how easy would it be to make these fit the sv? damn good price though, bit of tlc and she'll be right.

Making the brackets should be easy, coat of paint and they would be sweet.

Maha
6th February 2012, 07:20
I can make some out of Dough....:confused:
Will add about 150 KGs to the bike soooo 2nd thought....

nzspokes
6th February 2012, 07:29
I can make some out of Dough....:confused:
Will add about 150 KGs to the bike soooo 2nd thought....

Make it chocolate flavored, good for endurance races. Yummmmmm

mossy1200
6th February 2012, 09:51

Idd ask him if he has a screen included with buy now if not will he change buy now to 120.No harm in bartering

sugilite
6th February 2012, 10:27
Go for these if you can
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/fairing/auction-445864553.htm

Brackets are easier to make than entire fairings, honestly, do not go there it would be impossible to make them for less than you could buy a new set, just the hours to do it would make your head spin. You would be better of selling sausages outside the local supermarket to make the money to buy new than the countless hours and heart ache to make em from scratch...been there and done that, so old voice of experience here :lol:

The Singing Chef
6th February 2012, 10:33
Go for these if you can
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/fairing/auction-445864553.htm

Brackets are easier to make than entire fairings, honestly, do not go there it would be impossible to make them for less than you could buy a new set, just the hours to do it would make your head spin. You would be better of selling sausages outside the local supermarket to make the money to buy new than the countless hours and heart ache to make em from scratch...been there and done that, so old voice of experience here :lol:

Those are the fairings that are more or less interchangeable aren't they? Probably the best option then. Haha it sounds like an absoulte bitch of a job the way everyone talks about it, thanks for the advice guys.

The Singing Chef
6th February 2012, 10:53
Go for these if you can

Just looking for a guide on the web to fit those fairings but I can't find any, do you know of any sites that give imformation or should I just use my brain and figure it out, shouldn't be that hard.

sugilite
6th February 2012, 11:05
Just looking for a guide on the web to fit those fairings but I can't find any, do you know of any sites that give imformation or should I just use my brain and figure it out, shouldn't be that hard.
I don't have any direct experience with those fairings on a SV, but yeah, I'd just do it my self, duct tape and cable ties are your friends, allowing you to line it up and fabricate the brackets. :yes:

bogan
6th February 2012, 11:05
Here's all the guide you need bro!

http://bicycle.co.nz/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/z/i/zipties.jpg

sugilite
6th February 2012, 11:07
oh yeah, make sure you have complete fairing on and lined up before you start making brackets, no use just doing top one 1st then finding out it's soo high the belly pan wont fit...should be about 3 hours work me thinks.

mossy1200
6th February 2012, 11:07

alot of the proTs have gsxr fairings ask him if the screan is included if so get them.Screan was on the bike photo but not on the parts photo.If you want to keep costs down the gsxrs would be ideal as it has a tail cone also that you could sell if you dont use.

The Singing Chef
6th February 2012, 13:51
Can get the Front and side fairings for $120 delivered, have asked about the screen as well.

tigertim20
6th February 2012, 17:22

fitting will be easy. use zippy ties and duct tape to hold it roughly in place, and potential bracket mounting points should be fairly obvious.
an extra pair of hands helps too.

The Singing Chef
6th February 2012, 17:26
fitting will be easy. use zippy ties and duct tape to hold it roughly in place, and potential bracket mounting points should be fairly obvious.
an extra pair of hands helps too.

Sweet, cheers bro. Cable ties and duct tape are what I live on :laugh:

alot of the proTs have gsxr fairings ask him if the screan is included if so get them.Screan was on the bike photo but not on the parts photo.If you want to keep costs down the gsxrs would be ideal as it has a tail cone also that you could sell if you dont use.

No screen but should be able to find something, he is also selling a Pilot power 1 with the bike for $15 buy now, so I might see if I can swing that into the deal.

DrunkenMistake
6th February 2012, 17:39
Sweet, cheers bro. Cable ties and duct tape are what I live on :laugh:

As much shit as I get for my Hyo,
Its the only bike I have owned that hasnt had zip ties holding it together

The Singing Chef
6th February 2012, 17:40
As much shit as I get for my Hyo,
Its the only bike I have owned that hasnt had zip ties holding it together

I hope you never see mine, it's kind of embarrassing but I will be fixing it up soon so I can get me a big boys bike. :first:

The Singing Chef
6th February 2012, 20:21
Bought the GSXR fairings for $120 delivered. Was going to grab the Pilot power 1 but it's nearly 6 years old so thought best to leave it. Will post photos once I have put them on, might even paint then over as well.

DrunkenMistake
6th February 2012, 20:32
Bought the GSXR fairings for $120 delivered. Was going to grab the Pilot power 1 but it's nearly 6 years old so thought best to leave it. Will post photos once I have put them on, might even paint then over as well.

Mate of mine rattle can painted his old 250, I never seen it before he painted it, but I have seen it since paint, and it looks legit
Before
After.

mossy1200
6th February 2012, 20:40
Mate of mine rattle can painted his old 250, I never seen it before he painted it, but I have seen it since paint, and it looks legit
Before
After.

Race bike use rattle fibre primer then do top coat with a small paint roller.You know your going to keep damaging it anyway.

Or you could spray it

The Singing Chef
6th February 2012, 20:58
Cheers guys for your help, got a nice rattle can red I was thinking of using, nothing special about it but it is only for a race bike so meh.

Can't wait to see her when she is finished! :eek:

Spearfish
6th February 2012, 21:37

dont be shy asking for projects from yacht builders, we spend fucken hours making molds for shitty little parts.

The Singing Chef
6th February 2012, 21:46
dont be shy asking for projects from yacht builders, we spend fucken hours making molds for shitty little parts.

I could imagine, what parts projects could be of use though?

Spearfish
7th February 2012, 22:26
i could imagine, what parts projects could be of use though?

seat bases
hatch inserts
hatch opening inserts
draw fronts
winch bases
engine mounts
steps
yacht tender consoles
seats
engine control mounts
rudder foils
scale models of the finished boat
mast bases
toilet seats
bath tub
shower inclosures

anything and everything

The Singing Chef
8th February 2012, 07:33
seat bases
hatch inserts
hatch opening inserts
draw fronts
winch bases
engine mounts
steps
yacht tender consoles
seats
engine control mounts
rudder foils
scale models of the finished boat
mast bases
toilet seats
bath tub
shower inclosures

anything and everything

ah i was meaning for a bike but I understand what you meant now, those could be good if looking for certain pieces.

nathanwhite
9th February 2012, 17:24
Get yerself a pair of motosliders (http://www.svracingparts.com/products/#ecwid:category=633297&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal)
The guys on svrider.com swear by them for preventing bike damage

The Singing Chef
9th February 2012, 18:27
Have started sanding and painting the fairings. Need more Lacquer though, will get some next pay. Paint job on these were crappy as and the decal was drawn on <_< so been sanding away but it is taking forever. Got the front done already though.

tigertim20
9th February 2012, 19:31
[QUOTE=The Singing Chef;1130254622]Have started sanding and painting the fairings. Need more Lacquer though, will get some next pay. Paint job on these were crappy as and the decal was drawn on <_< so been sanding away but it is taking forever. Got the front done already though.

have you put them all together, and dummy fitted them and mounted brackets so they go straight on when painted so you dont fuck the paint doing all that after its painted?

The Singing Chef
9th February 2012, 19:46
[QUOTE=The Singing Chef;1130254622]Have started sanding and painting the fairings. Need more Lacquer though, will get some next pay. Paint job on these were crappy as and the decal was drawn on <_< so been sanding away but it is taking forever. Got the front done already though.

have you put them all together, and dummy fitted them and mounted brackets so they go straight on when painted so you dont fuck the paint doing all that after its painted?

Put them together and dummy fitted them, just need to make mounts now.

nzspokes
9th February 2012, 19:53
I can lend you a orbital sander if you need one?

The Singing Chef
9th February 2012, 20:03
I can lend you a orbital sander if you need one?

I have a palm sander at the moment but I may just get a coarser paper. Thanks though mate.

mossy1200
10th February 2012, 16:24
I have a palm sander at the moment but I may just get a coarser paper. Thanks though mate.

Looking good but i would make all your mounts and oggy nob holes while you wait for cash for more paint as a fresh home paint will mark up while you experiment with mounts.Get it 100% mounted photo it for us then pull apart and paint it.We need before and after paint photos anyway or your thread is dead.

The Singing Chef
10th February 2012, 16:29
Looking good but i would make all your mounts and oggy nob holes while you wait for cash for more paint as a fresh home paint will mark up while you experiment with mounts.Get it 100% mounted photo it for us then pull apart and paint it.We need before and after paint photos anyway or your thread is dead.

Will do, will be awhile before I have spare money anyway.

mossy1200
10th February 2012, 16:43
Will do, will be awhile before I have spare money anyway.

(oggy hole) put bolt in mount hole and put playdough inside fairing.When you loose mount the fairing the bolt will mark the playdough giving you a centre mark to drill your holesaw hole.

The Singing Chef
10th February 2012, 16:50
(oggy hole) put bolt in mount hole and put playdough inside fairing.When you loose mount the fairing the bolt will mark the playdough giving you a centre mark to drill your holesaw hole.

That's a damn good idea, shall raid the brothers stash :laugh: