PDA

View Full Version : H-D Road King Custom

Big Dave
23rd July 2005, 21:25
On a motorcycle…nobody can hear you sing.

Roger Miller can have his ‘Old Stogies’ and ‘Pushin’ Broom’, I know a MUCH better way to feel like the King of The Road.

Have a burn on a stunning yellow Harley-Davidson Road King Custom on a sunny Auckland day.

By the time I got to the apex of the Harbour Bridge I was well into the second verse and just feeling sooooo good. It’s fortunate that on a motorcycle nobody can hear you sing, because this is THE feel good motorcycle. King of the road and the Big Dave volume was set to 11.

It tracks beautifully, with neutral steering, balance and is as solid as a rock.
It’s about as comfortable as you can be on a bike. At 100 freeway kph, with feet resting on footboards and arms loosely hanging on the ‘Indian style’ swept back handlebars - I was in exactly the same seating position as I am, relaxed in my OSH compliant office and chair, typing this report.

The sound! I rode it around a lot in 3rd gear just to listen to it. Pulling out from a T intersection or engine braking to a stop…what a sound. A de-baffled rumble - not so loud as to draw the heat - but a deep, burbling, full noise that every motorcycle this side of a ‘Dunstalled’ Darmah or works Commando wished it sounded like.

It turns, tips, stops and has enough ground clearance to be well suited to the lounge chair ergonomic. Smoothly and effortlessly rolling away distances on or around the speed limit all day, with, as you guessed, comfort.

Strong and torquey throughout its rev range, the engine’s shake ‘em up vibrations – so impressively evident at the traffic lights - completely disappear at cruising revs. Smooth strong and…errr, comfortable.

Complete with acres of deep chrome and the deepest metallic paint job I’ve seen, this bright yellow and shiny beauty turns nearly every head. Look at me cries the King of the road and if you won’t look – then, listen…’Trailer for sale or rent…………’

Auckland Motorcycles and Power Sports have a range of late model Harleys for Hire - rates range from $75 for a ‘test ride’ through to $1,600 for a full week with various touring options. Sportster, Ultra Classic, a Road King and Dyna are available for qualified riders to throw a leg over. See www.amps.co.nz.
(Kbers Talk to Lou)

Test Drive Rates
(Subject to Availability of Motorcycles, No Reservations Taken)
$75 for a 2 hour period.

Off Season - 1st May to 31st October
Regular Daily Rate (24 Hour Period) $280.00 Per day
Weekend Rate - $560.00 Noon Friday till Noon Monday
$1600.00 Weekly

All Rentals Require a $2000 Security Deposit

Mid res image attached

bugjuice
23rd July 2005, 21:30
that's a nice bike.. even for a hog ;)
and another nice shot..

White trash
24th July 2005, 09:08
S'Funny. When the Roadking Custom was first released, myself and the Hippie stood around it going "Mate, when I win Lotto....."

Mine'd have a 103 Stroker kit and loud pipes. Nothin' else. Pure class on wheels, which is probably why I wont be able to get one......

Motu
24th July 2005, 10:37
Pure class on wheels, which is probably why I wont be able to get one......

every handout in every town
And every lock that ain't locked
When no one's around.

I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

Lou Girardin
25th July 2005, 10:18
Thanks for the plug Dave. Just to clarify though, the test ride charge has gone. We don't charge buyers to test a bike and there's a 24 hour minimum on rentals.
I'll do a bit of a deal for KB'ers.

outlawtorn
25th July 2005, 13:47
Thanks for making me really jealous Big Dave, thats my dream bike that HD, I've been eyeing it since I first laid my grotty eyes on it at AMPS, pity about the price tag, but what a beautiful machine....

thanks for the pic too, it's my new desktop...

skidz
25th July 2005, 13:59
Good story Big Dave, so now you know why I've got a Road King.

vifferman
25th July 2005, 14:04
Thanks for the plug Dave. Just to clarify though, the test ride charge has gone. We don't charge buyers to test a bike and there's a 24 hour minimum on rentals.
I'll do a bit of a deal for KB'ers.
You still got the '05 Triumph ST there, coz I'm still a-hankerin' for a ride...

Big Dave
25th July 2005, 15:50
You still got the '05 Triumph ST there, coz I'm still a-hankerin' for a ride...

Patrick told me Friday that AMPS are putting on a ST with ABS as a demo. Should be available later this week. I'm going to grab it for an hour or 2 myself as a suffix to the KR test - plus use it for the photo shoot.

patrick@amps.co.nz is the man to talk to. (lou is over the other side of the building)