PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery!

Zed
23rd July 2005, 22:13
If you ever get the following symptoms, you my online friend could probably have a dead or flat battery:

1. Bike ignition won't start, panel lights come on but are dim. Easy fix - put it on the battery charger overnight!
4 weeks later...2. Bike ignition won't start again, charge it overnight again and still won't start, have to push start it to go to work, starts first jump!
3. That same day go to start bike after work and have to push start it again, works like a charm.
4. On the way home from work you suddenly lose your speedo and rev counter, the needles drop to zero!
5. On the same ride home the bike starts coughing at low revs!

To finish the story off, I ended up going to two bike shops on that journey home (yesterday actually) to find the correct battery for my bike, fitted it, and jump started it one last time for the 5th time during the day!! ;)

Lessons learned:

Replace a flat/dead battery early.
Taiwanese batteries cost $35 less than Japanese ones and have 1 years less warranty.
If you don't want to put mileage on your speedometer, ride around on a flat battery.
The new RSV1000 Aprilia is beautiful.
The Blackbird is heavy, but where there is a will there is a way, even if it means asking a guy to get out of his car and push!!

Zed :spudwave:

XTC
23rd July 2005, 23:09
Mmmm honda's..... Be sure to check your charging voltage too, just to be sure the reg/rec isn't failing.
Taiwanese batteries are ok.
If your bike is sitting around alot not being used a Yuasa japanese battery will last longer.
Or do what I do, use a battery tender. The battery is always charged then and lasts years and years and years.......even on honda's.

FROSTY
23rd July 2005, 23:16
Zed--time to get a battery tender mate--just keeps the battery topped up if ya dont ride a lot

Zed
24th July 2005, 02:00
Zed--time to get a battery tender mate--just keeps the battery topped up if ya dont ride a lotBike gets used every day. Battery replaced looked like the original from 1997?

Waylander
24th July 2005, 02:04
If you don't want to put mileage on your speedometer, ride around on a flat battery.

Only if you have an electric speedo.... lol

Devil
26th July 2005, 09:19
The Blackbird is heavy, but where there is a will there is a way, even if it means asking a guy to get out of his car and push!!

Zed :spudwave:
oooo that must have been fun! I have trouble even push starting MY bike by myself if there's no slight hills around.

vifferman
26th July 2005, 09:29
Be sure to check your charging voltage too, just to be sure the reg/rec isn't failing.
Yeah, what he said. It should read at least 12.6V at rest, and with the engine running the voltage should increase as the revs rise, levelling off at 14.x volts (depends on your R/R model what the 'x' is). And check the connections in the charging system for signs of corrosion, arcing, overheated wires, etc. If you need any help with this, let me know. Been there, done that, and I've also been to "Oh - must be the battery", bought a new one, when all along it was summat else. Twice.

Drunken Monkey
26th July 2005, 09:52
Ah-ha! I have a similar story:

Fiddles with bike, tries to connect a race/timing computer to it.
Does some quarter mile runs, but most fail to read properly because the windscreen vibrates so bloody much.
Removes timing computer forgets to tighten up nut on -ve lead to battery
Doesn't ride for 3 weeks.
Goes to meet Zed at Westgate, finds bike battery flat.
Puts battery on charger for 20 minutes, starts with charger hooked up.
Fails to notice Zed has a new phone number.
Leaves message on Zed's wife's phone.
Catches up anyway, as others are late too.
Goes on incident free ride.
Waits 1 week.
Goes on another ride through the Hunua Gorge.
Bike dies 2km from home.
Finds the loose connection, charges battery at Limmy's house.
Rides home without incident.
Waits 1 week.
Starts first time, rides to Botany without incident.
Short on time, so decides to leave early. Bike won't start, starter turns slowly then not at all.
Exclaims to 30 odd KB'ers "Does anyone have a number 8 socket?"
Borrows Kit's spanner - connection is still good.
Tries to jump start, won't even jump now.
Gets lift, takes battery home, charges, returns, bike starts, rides home - 2 hours later...
Finally learns lesson and replaces 5 y.o. battery.
Bike goes fine now...

edit: Yes, take the time to check your generator and regulator. Only takes a few minutes, and is easily done with an ordinary volt meter. Will put your mind at ease.

Zed
26th July 2005, 10:16
oooo that must have been fun!You know it wasn't Dev! :no: There are some things that are not so advantageous when you upgrade to a bigger bike my friend!

raster
26th July 2005, 10:25
I had exact same problem with new battery.
bad connection in charging circuit, with new battery it just took longer to become apparent.

Used this link to fix.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14217

Mines an old suzuki but it is transferrable to other bikes.

froggyfrenchman
7th August 2005, 18:42
think batteries are a pain... try a preunit triumphwith a magneto!

Ixion
7th August 2005, 23:12
think batteries are a pain... try a preunit triumphwith a magneto!

Lucas K2F GOOD. For BAD try preunit Triumph WITHOUT a magneto !

Wolf
15th August 2005, 13:30
Lucas K2F GOOD.
"Lucas" and "good" in the same sentence - and without a negative. :gob:

The "Prince of Darkness" got something right for once?