PDA

View Full Version : Clattering KLR engine

Jock_in_NZ
7th February 2012, 19:49
Hello guys, hoping some KLR experts can help.

The engine in my ’06 KLR650 (done 48,000k’s) makes a sort of “clack clack clack” noise when it’s under load, like pulling away or going uphill. It goes away when the revs pick up. It doesn’t do it when it’s revved in neutral.

Last owner said the ”doohickey” had been done, but I don’t know when and at what mileage. Could this be the problem?

Or is this just the noise of a typical higher mileage thumper?

Cheers.

Motu
7th February 2012, 20:13
Timing chain tensioner - this should keep you busy for hours...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118652&highlight=dohicky

pete376403
7th February 2012, 20:58
Doohickey is the balancer chain tensioner, cam chain has an auto adjuster.

Pre '08 doo is reputedly failure prone, factory redesigned it for the '08.

If hasn't been changed, and needs to be, the Eagle Mike one is claimed to be the best. Needs a few special tools to replace it, but people on here have them.

What sort of revs is the engine doing when its clattering? If the rear drive chain is too loose, and the bike is in (say) 4th or 5th and you open the throotle at low speed, there will be a fair bit of banging from the drive line

Jock_in_NZ
7th February 2012, 21:19
What sort of revs is the engine doing when its clattering? If the rear drive chain is too loose, and the bike is in (say) 4th or 5th and you open the throotle at low speed, there will be a fair bit of banging from the drive line

Around 2-3,000 ish. Like a hammer sort of sound, goes away as soon as the revs increase.

Can you buy the upgraded 'doo' somewhere in NZ or do you have to get one from the States? If the 'doo' was broken, would it make the engine noisy/rattly as the cam chain bounces around?

Red39
7th February 2012, 21:30
Around 2-3,000 ish. Like a hammer sort of sound, goes away as soon as the revs increase.

Can you buy the upgraded 'doo' somewhere in NZ or do you have to get one from the States? If the 'doo' was broken, would it make the engine noisy/rattly as the cam chain bounces around?

Stick it on TM. Get new one :)

Woodman
7th February 2012, 21:32
Mine makes all sorts of noises at times, quite often it is the drive chain as pete345698765321 says.

Check the doo and the cam chain tensioner and cam chain tension in case it is stretched beyond the tensioners capability.

Jock_in_NZ
7th February 2012, 21:45
Check the doo and the cam chain tensioner and cam chain tension in case it is stretched beyond the tensioners capability.

So that would involve taking the left side engine cover off wouldn't it? I'm not that confident at having a go in there in case I make it worse.

What would a mechanic charge to change the 'doo'? $100 seem reasonable?

Jock_in_NZ
7th February 2012, 21:47
Stick it on TM. Get new one :)

Have to fix the (maybe) broken one first!

Woodman
7th February 2012, 21:51
So that would involve taking the left side engine cover off wouldn't it? I'm not that confident at having a go in there in case I make it worse.

Took me an afternoon and that included making the tools, so possibly 3 hours for a mechanic or less.

have you tried adjusting it? Loosen the bolt, tap it a few times then tighten it again.Engine not running. There will be better instructions somewhere on the web, probly even a video.

pete376403
7th February 2012, 21:59

KLRs are the stone axe of motorcycles. Can be repaired on the side of the road with a hammer and a crowbar. (In the dark) Lots of info on the net about inspecting / replacing the doo.

Eagle Mikes how-to is here: http://www.leftcoastklrs.com/balancer_lever_upgrade.htm.

Buying over the 'net is not too bad at the mo, $NZ - $US is pretty good.

(I've got an '08 so haven't felt the urge to replace the part in my motor yet, would rather spend the money on a 685 piston)

And ignore the trolls from Suzuki riders.

Jock_in_NZ
7th February 2012, 22:18
Thanks guys. This one might have to go to the mechanics as I don't have 90% of those tools described in the 'doo' replacement instructions. And I would loose things/break stuff attempting it!