PDA

View Full Version : Clone transponder key - Yamaha R6?

steve10
8th February 2012, 21:53
Hi Guys,

I have done quite a bit of searching through old threads on the issue but haven't yet got it sussed. Basically I have recently bought a 2003 R6, and the guy I bought it from only had one black key, i.e. not the red master key. I know that I can buy a new ECU from Yamaha for a ridiculous price, or that I can look at getting an ignition system from the US where they don't use transponder keys. But can anyone point me in the direction of a NZ locksmith who could clone and cut a spare transponder key from my black one, which would be far less trouble than either of these options.

Before anyone jumps on the "its Stolen" band wagon, its definitely not. Its a genuine case of only having one key. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Warr
9th February 2012, 07:38
Hi Steve & welcome to the site :)

Is the Honda system similar to Yamaha ? ...
In my case to create another key I visit Mr Honda and buy a blank H.I.S.S. key, then visit Mr locksmith and get that cut as a duplicate, then go back to Mr Honda who borrows my bike and keys for an hour or 2 and connect my bike electronics to some gizmo ...
And add the new key to the Honda security system.

What Yamaha do .. who knows ! All the best :)

steve10
9th February 2012, 12:42
Thanks Warr,

I'm not sure how similiar the Honda and Yamaha systems are?? I have contacted my local Yamaha dealer, in Cambridge, and he wasn't much help on the matter other than saying that I need a new ECU. I am trying to get in contact with Yamaha NZ to see whether they can be any more help. if so your suggestion might work well. If anybody else can suggest anything I would much appreciate it.

I will keep you all posted.

spanner spinner
9th February 2012, 21:28
The Honda system is set up to work with any existing working key, I have programmed heaps of them and not having to have a master key is a stroke of genius from Honda as you don't have the problem of previous owners not passing on the master key . I don't know what Yamaha does but every car system I have had anything to do with that has a master key (usually the red bodied one) has to have the master key in the ignition to do any programming. Keep on at the Yamaha importer as they will be the only people with the full answer, hope it's not buy a new ECU.

pete-blen
10th February 2012, 19:34
you can buy the red key blanks off E-bay
not seen a R1 but have only looked at XT bits..

I asume theres a chip in them?..
If they work like the Honda keys "car"...
If you replace the key the key & lock have to
programed to talk to each other...

Had a look.... Found R1 red keys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RED-MOTORCYCLE-BLANK-KEY-YAMAHA-R1-R6-YZF-FZ1-FZ6-/270909269766?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f13736706