PDA

View Full Version : he,he,he

Jackrat
22nd December 2003, 08:52
:p Iv,e just got a ball park figure for the 840 kit for my XS.
840 pistons c/w rings pins ect, $520
Sleeves, $260
840 head gasket x 2 $140
Adjustable cam sprocket $270
Valve spring kit c/w titanium keepers $220
Stainless valves $140
Carrillo rods $950
Machining $500
270 crank rephase ????
Still got to price up,techtonic single coil ignition,Barrnet Clutch plates,External oil fillter and cooler,Nasty Cam.
So far I,m at about $4000 all up but I can think of another $1000 without trying to hard.
This thing is gonn,a surprise A few people, :stoogie:
Can you say sleeper, :shit: :shit: :shit:

Motu
22nd December 2003, 11:54
Scary prices - but when you look at what others put into Harleys and rice burners it doesn't look so silly.Gunna be hard to hang onto the bars tho mate,a motor like that is gunna haul arse! The 270 rephase is interesting,lots of guys are doing it overseas,but never seen one done here.

What sort of HP you reckon? I've lost the link I had to Kenny Roberts last XS 750 flat tracker,but it was putting out about 95hp,getting top gear wheelspin and wheelies,the cyl head is the limiting factor,and KR had special heads from Japan to get those figures.

Jackrat
22nd December 2003, 13:24
I could,nt at this stage give an honest answer to that one,But I am hoping for around 90HP.Every thing is coming from Australia and all the planning at this stage is being done by phone,we have still to decide on the cam from the three available for the rephase motor.This is in fact a very basic motor,as
the head can take a lot of work, plus I could run higher comp, pistons,but the price really starts to run away once you go past a certain stage.
I guess I could just go an buy any one of the exellent 600s on the market and get more of everything,but it wouldn,t be as much fun and the prey would see me coming. :eek: :niceone:

wkid_one
22nd December 2003, 13:31
I guess I could just go an buy any one of the exellent 600s on the market and get more of everything,but it wouldn,t be as much fun and the prey would see me coming. :eek: :niceone:

Also - you would just be another of the excellent 600's on the road. Gr8 if you want anonymity - not if you want something diff.

Jackrat
22nd December 2003, 14:24
Also - you would just be another of the excellent 600's on the road. Gr8 if you want anonymity - not if you want something diff.
Yep,Your onto it mate. :bigthumb:

Motu
22nd December 2003, 14:24
Yep,to me pulling up to an identical bike is the same as two woman wearing the same dress.Oh yeah,that's my bike over there...the third red one on the left :no:

wkid_one
22nd December 2003, 15:57
That is the only problem with the current crop of big bore thous - they all look the same! That is why I bought the R1 in the first place - it looked unique among the others with the black frame etc etc - now....they are just cookie cutter bikes.

I would buy the Yam MT if it came out - and I was allowed to ride.'

Motu
23rd December 2003, 15:06
Just to cheer you up Jack.

James Deuce
23rd December 2003, 15:52
Jack - remind me stay away from you dude :)

Jackrat
23rd December 2003, 19:42
Wow,Thats really chucking a leg out,a bed.
Errrrrrr,over rev,ed just a little what!!!
I think I will definately be going for the Carillo rods after seeing this.
Actualy thats kind,a scary. :shit: :no:
Ahhhhh,How did they get the motor out of the frame like that?
When,where,who,Not yours I hope.
And no worries Jim I intend to make mine strong,But I will be looking for TRXs
of course. :whistle:

Motu
23rd December 2003, 20:39
That's out of a flattracker,I'll see if I can trace the site tomorrow.

Motu
24th December 2003, 07:24
It was Mike Konshak's bike,from the www.650motorcycles.com site.So,so,so much info and photos there,I could spend a week and not see 2 XS650 the same.

This is what I'd like to do to one - that's the beauty of these things eh,they can be anything to anyone.

Jackrat
24th December 2003, 07:41
Yep,That site is way out there,Until I came across it, I just wanted another XS,An then I started to see what others have done.I really think I might need another couple of bikes.That flat tracker style would really fit in well in NZ me thinks,light weight,wide bars,tourqe an a dirt road,Oh yeah!!! :bigthumb:
Oh an the trail bike thing,The guy that owns the MC grave yard out my way has one,He uses it for beach racing,Goes like stuff off a stick. :ar15:

Motu
24th December 2003, 21:44
He's had that one for years - is he yarg on this site?

Hey,I just had a closer look at your avatar Jack,well,I put my glasses on more like - I thought it was just one of those silly old British bikes we all used to ride,but I see it's an XS - nice one.

well,better go do some more wrapping,got some stockings to fill after midnight - enjoy tomorrow y'all.

Jackrat
28th December 2003, 09:07
No mate, His name is Andrew ph 09-2363723, Nice guy
He has a heap of parts for these things.
Only trouble is he has a dozen or more engines an won,t part with even one.
Frustrating for me as I am after a couple of cranks for my rephase.
I do know of a couple of bottem ends for sale but you would think they were made of gold or sumint.Maybe they just see me coming huh!
Another thing I am finding now is the deeper I get into this 840 the bigger the costs are becoming :no:
I may end up going the Wiseco 750 kit at quite a big savings at this rate.
Just a jump of 100cc makes a big jump in costs an a real compromise on reliablity.I have been reading up on the different big bore kits guys are running,It can be seen that unless the job is done right then you may as well not bother,The difference between a good head-Cam job and a big bore kit is not much in HP gain.At the moment I am looking at the Rephase with a Cam,Larger valves and Flowing the head to what it can be.From what I am seeing this will give the most bang for buck kind,a thing.
An then we have the clutch :shutup:
Dang I need a rest.

Motu
28th December 2003, 10:46
Yeah,bottom ends are the make or break on these bikes,they cost a fortune to put bearings into the bottom end,but to offset that the crank would last 3 times as long as any other bike - you just gotta have a good one to start with.That's why that XS that went on TradeMe a few months ago was so tempting...it was a rat,but with a new bottom end.
A mate of mine has a pile of XS 650s - one for each purpose and enough parts to keep building them for years.He has a couple of 750s - one is a flattracker,used when we used to flattrack at Rosebank...the other is in his post classic racer,the motors are standard otherwise I think.One I think he used the old 750 twin pistons in - gave him a low compression ratio which softens out the bottom end punch.Otherwise he always uses the GT750 waterbucket carbs on them,just the right size and easy to set up.He got my carbs working just right this year after a couple of attempts - I also have some Blue Magnums (a few actualy) which the dude from the Graveyard has all the bits left.I have run these and will do again when the carbs on it finally throw in the towel...they are a bit hard to set up and need constant readjustment,like several times just on a ride! You don't want them...the blue will look silly on your bike.