PDA

View Full Version : Protecta Motorcycle Insurance

jade
11th February 2012, 07:08
Ok So it has been 2.5 months since I came off my Aprilia RSV4 Factory

I had it insured with Protecta but they are really dragging their feet with sorting me out,
My bike has been sitting at Red Baron for 2.5 months while I am out of pocket 25,000
The Repair bill came in at 57k so obviously will be written off
The insurance assessor that went to see the bike took the plate with him

Everything is legit, wof, reg, license - police report (No ticket or charge) - they simply attended the accident, gave me a police report and called a tow truck, no ticket because noone was hurt and noone else involved

Protecta have been fucking useless, they didnt get in touch with red baron and I have had to chase them up and get the ball rolling week after week

Mean while my beautiful bike is in a totaled mess sitting out of rego etc now and Protecta are still dragging their feet

Has anybody had a good/bad experience with Protecta ?

Where can I find out what my rights are??

Owl
11th February 2012, 07:13
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/136516-Protecta-Insurance-Claim-problems?highlight=protecta

jade
11th February 2012, 07:41
Also now that my bike is out of rego, that will have to be backpaid - Are they liable for this ?

It is absolutely ridiculous that these people cannot do their JOB
Simple tasks like arranging for an assessor to go look at the bike

Im ready for legal action

nodrog
11th February 2012, 08:04
Also now that my bike is out of rego,.....

why dont you put the rego on hold?

Owl
11th February 2012, 08:05
Also now that my bike is out of rego, that will have to be backpaid - Are they liable for this ?

I'll ask the missus just as soon as she's finished gabbing on the phone.

yap yap yap yap yap:msn-wink:

jade
19th February 2012, 19:05
Well a bit of progress in this story

After all my phone calls etc I finally received a call from somebody getting things done

Someone further up the ladder than the people I had been dealing with caught wind of my situation and called me personally and started off by apoligising for the amount of time it has taken to process my claim and gave a few reasons as to why, he was also very sympathetic to my position of being without a vehicle for so long and the concerns I had, - eg my rego, letting me know that if it had to be backpaid for whatever reason that they would cover it.

I took this phone call as peace of mind that I had finally made someone aware of my situation and things were going to move along.

I didnt however expect to get a phone call the next day outside of business hours from the same guy letting me know that my claim had finally been approved and that I would receive a discharge letter the next day to sign and return for settlement.

The letter came as promised and had details of their pre accident valuation which was just a few hundred dollars less than what I paid for the bike which I am happy about
I have now signed the form and returned it and am awaiting my payment.. Which I will let you know if its a success !

I am pleased that I finally got through to the right person, squeaky wheel gets the oil as they say

And above all I am pleased that I did everything by the book and my investment was protected by my insurance as it should be !!

So a bit of a wait but in the end a good result... I will follow this post up to let you know it was a complete success !

Jade

G4L4XY
20th February 2012, 13:41
I'm with Protecta so I hope (not to) but if I ever have an accident that they're not going to be useless

I also have towwie cover added to mine for free, do you not have this option?

jade
23rd February 2012, 15:34
Paid in full!

actungbaby
23rd February 2012, 15:45
Ok So it has been 2.5 months since I came off my Aprilia RSV4 Factory

I had it insured with Protecta but they are really dragging their feet with sorting me out,
My bike has been sitting at Red Baron for 2.5 months while I am out of pocket 25,000
The Repair bill came in at 57k so obviously will be written off
The insurance assessor that went to see the bike took the plate with him

Everything is legit, wof, reg, license - police report (No ticket or charge) - they simply attended the accident, gave me a police report and called a tow truck, no ticket because noone was hurt and noone else involved

Protecta have been fucking useless, they didnt get in touch with red baron and I have had to chase them up and get the ball rolling week after week

Mean while my beautiful bike is in a totaled mess sitting out of rego etc now and Protecta are still dragging their feet

Has anybody had a good/bad experience with Protecta ?

Where can I find out what my rights are??
give citizen advice i call there usualy free legal advice avaible certian times once week here in palmerston north
when I got my bike written the bike dealship that i brought it frome went dealt with the insurance company, mind you i was regualar customer .i
I was only 18 though at the time . this is normal practice the repairer deals with insurance company as they accepted the claim as geniue
legal claim
so they told that bike was a write of am thinking there saying as much to you its the labour why cost gets to that 57 grand seems bit high though ,
But if you getting this info my bike mechanic or second hand you better of again talking direct to a manager at your insurance company

Id just got my accident damaged vfr 750 back on the road check my out my blog it whould gone to wreakers for sure but i saved it
am not going make money out of it though so that wasint me intention it cost me 1000 grand in parts and that second hand and worth maybe 2 and hald grand on the market so sort losing money on it unless i like it and get to keep it

Know to help you if they insurance company got the plate i read that as they own the bike know meaning dont panic you get
Your money other wise that plate is your properity . have a think about buying your bike back as they company that sells bikes like your on trademe i know cause bided on cbr 900 they had before i got my vfr 750 of trademe

Just get on phone to your insurance company be polite ask them whats the story you paid your preiums your entittled to your payout
I guess just waiting on bike shop to confirm it was a write of and not going to be repaired by them .

if frame okay your still got good bike if your prepared to do some work yourself buy second hand parts
Sometimes though depending on speed of the crash bike may be not that good to ride as whole machine but better to sell for spares
Even to the owner as dam sight easier to just go and buy bike the same as you should be able to after your pay out.

G4L4XY
23rd February 2012, 16:14
Isn't 1000 grand like a million?? :P

kiwi cowboy
23rd February 2012, 17:23

:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme :killingme:brick::brick::brick::brick::nya::nya::n ya:

actungbaby
24th February 2012, 10:24
[QUOTE=jade;1130262618]Well a bit of progress in this story

After all my phone calls etc I finally received a call from somebody getting things done

thats great mate you have been very patient thats for sure sorry i replyed b4 and didnt read down to see things already sorted

Are you going get the same bike with the payout or go for diffrent model model

I went from inline twin to mutli four as a change i always think change is good as a hoildiay and as seeing had bad ep with

Model bike you had might be good thing eh

G4L4XY
15th May 2012, 18:45
Great so now it's MY turn with making a claim with protecta!
So far it's been 3 weeks sitting at the garage and they haven't called me even once to let me know whats happening.

I had to go to the garage and find out from them the assessor had been in only the day before and is thinking about fixing it...still protecta haven't told me shit.

Also I'm emailing someone there about the gear cover as well and thats taking it's time too!

And again my rego has expired as well, could I put it on hold? Sure but minimum term is three months which surely this shouldn't take?

I want this all done before my next year term starts up again, I don't want to have to fork out for another year just because they're being slow.

Can I request it be written off? Or don't I have a say in the matter haha

davebullet
15th May 2012, 18:55
Great so now it's MY turn with making a claim with protecta!
So far it's been 3 weeks sitting at the garage and they haven't called me even once to let me know whats happening.

I had to go to the garage and find out from them the assessor had been in only the day before and is thinking about fixing it...still protecta haven't told me shit.

Also I'm emailing someone there about the gear cover as well and thats taking it's time too!

And again my rego has expired as well, could I put it on hold? Sure but minimum term is three months which surely this shouldn't take?

I want this all done before my next year term starts up again, I don't want to have to fork out for another year just because they're being slow.

Can I request it be written off? Or don't I have a say in the matter haha

I don't know whether Protecta do direct or via brokers. I know they are one of the underwriters Kiwibike use. If you bought through a broker, contact your broker and ask them to help out.

rustic101
15th May 2012, 19:40
This is interesting...

Two mates of mine dropped their bikes on our return from a group ride. One bike, a Bandit 1250 was taken to a dealer in town and a quote was given for around 9Kish. Protector were going to write the bike off based off that quote. Mates like hang on a new screen but all it needs is a new edged protector, and the inflated parts list went on etc etc etc.

So mate prices up the parts and includes his time and approaches Protector and says I can fix it for around 5K. Protector say sure go ahead. Mate got most of the genuine parts from a dealer in Alice Town and did the work himself. After a respray the job comes in just over 4K by about $200, he calls Protector to give them a refund and they say, nah all good keep it.

The bike looks brand spanking new!!! The only issue he had was matching the paint so had it professionally resprayed (that was included in his cost).

Other mate did the same with his bike.

Protector were fast and communicated well with him, so much so that I changed to them..

I guess its the luck of the draw when dealing with all companies.

G4L4XY
15th May 2012, 20:19
Change back while you still can! lol

jasonu
16th May 2012, 14:12

Mexican Pasos maybe...

G4L4XY
16th May 2012, 14:38
Mexican Pasos maybe...

No matter what the currency, 1000 grand is ALWAYS million :)

G4L4XY
16th May 2012, 17:02
Finally got through to them on the phone today, asked them whats happening with my claim, he said "oh we've given authorisation to the workshop" well gee thanks for letting me know!
Then I said well whats happening with my gear? "oh just go in and they will sort you out" communication goes a long way eh!