PDA

View Full Version : AIKAB Harley prat

Timber020
12th February 2012, 01:33
Any of you guys know this POS via his personalised plate, let him know his self ego stroking through wellington along shway 1 just after lunch on sat hurt a group of kids today and almost got one really seriously hurt (or worse.)

He came through town reving crap out of his crap (at least 135db) while badly filtering. I operate chainsaws and loud machinery every day, shot every type of firearm and generally abused my hearing and my ears are still ringing 12 hours later. I douldnt believe how loud his peacock tail was.
In his wake were scores of kids, from infants in carrypacks to kids about 7 crying and some RUNNING from the noise. One little girl of about 3 or 4 ran onto a road to get further away, luckily no cars were coming. 20 minutes later I was coming across kids holding there ears and crying about it. And Im talking about little kids REALLY crying from being hurt. Had it been one of my kids, I wouldnt be posting about it on here.

Sounds minor but he pissed off hundreds of people with this poser jaunt and makes motorcyclist look only a step up from rectal cancer. It was enough to make me think seriously about running down a bike rider, and I have been riding for over 30 years.

jrandom
12th February 2012, 06:32
BURN HIM.

Also, it is good to see someone thinking of the children.

Hans
12th February 2012, 22:03
It's A1KAB.

Headbanger
12th February 2012, 22:06
He made chirldren cry?

Fuck, we need more threads about it, One will never do.

Winston001
12th February 2012, 22:13
A Witch a Witch!

bogan
12th February 2012, 22:23
BURN HIM.

Yes burn him! and the horse he rode in on!

Also, it is good to see someone thinking of the children.

Hmmm, but not too much, we don't need more of that type...

Now my bike is not what you would call quiet, but it can be civilised. It's kind of like the loner kid who generates a feeling of awe in others, he has nothing to prove, he doesn't want to make a fuss or get in anyones way. But get him a bit fired up, an you'll wake up in the morning with all the furniture strewn about, flickering lamps on the floor, clothes everywhere, a trail of bras and panties going into a room with many a satisfied hottie, and an open window with curtains fluttering in the breeze. Go to the window and you might see some skids on the lawn, and hear a very nice exhaust note heading off into the distance, it's not what you would call quiet, but could be described as civilised. Listen a little longer, and you might hear a rapid crackle-crackle-pop of heavy deceleration, nobody know what the loner slowed for, to tend to an injured kitten, ride aboard his mothership, or just take a corner at a safe speed, but one thing is for sure, you will remember that loner, you will remember that sound, and you will remember that night.

tigertim20
12th February 2012, 22:42
WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!
wait

he is!.

Fucking children should harden the fuck up anyway, the joke of a cotton wool society they grow up in these days is fuckin ridiculous, cant sing ba ba black sheep cos its racist, Cant play bullrush cos they'll get a scrape on their tiny wee precious fucking knee, arent allowed to climb trees at school because they will fall from 50cm and immediately be rendered a fucking paraplegic, get cancer and die, cant hear a loud harley because they'll turn gay.

harden the fuck up:laugh:

jrandom
13th February 2012, 04:43
Any of you guys know this POS via his personalised plate

It's not personalised, btw. My Sportster came with A1JUR. That's just what was in the tin. NZTA have obviously started that format for bike plates.

And it's still got the stock mufflers on but I had a man whack a holesaw through the baffles and now they sound choice as.

Kids always turn and wave.

Berries
13th February 2012, 06:56
A1KAB
Mmmmm. Kebabs.

HenryDorsetCase
13th February 2012, 07:32
wonder if he does housecalls? The noisy little fuckers who live next door to me need to be brought to heel. I own a few sets of Grade 4 earmuffs. He can park in the drive and rev the motor, I'll pass out earmuffs to the neighbours I like, bada boom, bada bing, problem solved.

They did get the hint when I was playing Guns and Roses in the garage REALLY loud with the door open yesterday afternoon. Fuckers. Smart mouthed little fuckers

White trash
13th February 2012, 08:52
They did get the hint when I was playing Guns and Roses in the garage REALLY loud with the door open yesterday afternoon.

Didn't you have anything good?

Crasherfromwayback
13th February 2012, 08:56
Any of you guys know this POS via his personalised plate, let him know his self ego stroking through wellington along shway 1 just after lunch on sat hurt a group of kids today and almost got one really seriously hurt (or worse.)

It's a 120" FXDF making around 145hp. I'll put you in touch with him if you'd like to tell him how you feel. I wouldn't recommend it though.

HenryDorsetCase
13th February 2012, 09:02
Didn't you have anything good?

not handy, no.

it was the covers album "The Spaghetti Incident" too. I do like the version or RAW POWER on it I must say.

yod
13th February 2012, 09:20
wait

he is!.

Fucking children should harden the fuck up anyway, the joke of a cotton wool society they grow up in these days is fuckin ridiculous, cant sing ba ba black sheep cos its racist, Cant play bullrush cos they'll get a scrape on their tiny wee precious fucking knee, arent allowed to climb trees at school because they will fall from 50cm and immediately be rendered a fucking paraplegic, get cancer and die, cant hear a loud harley because they'll turn gay.

Just a wild stab in the dark but...

you don't have kids, do you.

ducatilover
13th February 2012, 09:43
I cry when I hear a 45deg twin too.

pzkpfw
13th February 2012, 09:49
*555 ?

(Some more chars)

Paul in NZ
13th February 2012, 10:21
There is nothing louder than an open piped HD. Its one of the few vehicles you can easily hear from our place when the go up sh1. Just something about the way the noise carries.

For what its worth - its easy to take the piss about kids needing to harden up but some of those bikes are so loud they really can damage your hearing and some kids do have a genuine issue. Autistic kids for example just can't take it. One of those kids might just grow up to be Chief Justice or Head of Traffic Policy etc.... Then we are all screwed....

Paul in NZ
13th February 2012, 10:22
It's a 120" FXDF making around 145hp. I'll put you in touch with him if you'd like to tell him how you feel. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Ah so it was you eh Pete?

Crasherfromwayback
13th February 2012, 10:29
Ah so it was you eh Pete?

Nah. Two reasons. I could never afford such a bike, and I'm actually very sedate round town!

It's running a V&H comp 2-1 and is actually baffled. It's seriously loud though for sure.

Paul in NZ
13th February 2012, 10:47
Nah. Two reasons. I could never afford such a bike, and I'm actually very sedate round town!

It's running a V&H comp 2-1 and is actually baffled. It's seriously loud though for sure.

Holy crap - how loud would it be with no baffles then???

But yes - some serious $$ to get 145bhp from a big twin eh?

spookytooth
13th February 2012, 10:57
not handy, no.

it was the covers album "The Spaghetti Incident" too. I do like the version or RAW POWER on it I must say.

You either payed for that albin or stole it off the only person that did buy it

oldrider
13th February 2012, 11:01
On a clear day we can hear it from here .... sounds a bloody sight better than the POS Subarus that go up and down our street lately! :rolleyes:

Crasherfromwayback
13th February 2012, 11:08
Holy crap - how loud would it be with no baffles then???

But yes - some serious $$ to get 145bhp from a big twin eh?

Yeah...VERY loud!

They're all but 2 litres in size, so you'd hope they'd go well. And they certainly do! The thing will wick the back tyre up in 3rd no worries.257391

avgas
13th February 2012, 11:25
So its ok to have a harley sound like the morning after 'mega-chilli-night' but soon as I cut the pipe off my vauxhall and go for a drive people cry bloody murder.

biased bastards.

nadroj
13th February 2012, 11:55
Yeah...VERY loud!

They're all but 2 litres in size, so you'd hope they'd go well. And they certainly do! The thing will wick the back tyre up in 3rd no worries.

I take that is $105-99.

Crasherfromwayback
13th February 2012, 12:01
I take that is $105-99.

If only! Mind you...you can get 6k for your std motor easy enough, so it's not nearly as expensive as you'd think. Give your B-King a good scare too mate.

SMOKEU
13th February 2012, 12:24
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbkWr6HQJqYreU1M5e6OqgasRNK-zzk29azaT4q7f-B6xfHvBgFtvn7EXU

ducatilover
13th February 2012, 12:31
If only! Mind you...you can get 6k for your std motor easy enough, so it's not nearly as expensive as you'd think. Give your B-King a good scare too mate.
145 is a fairly big whack of power from a big cube, low revs twin. I'd say it'd scare the pants off me and leave my old thing in the dust.

HenryDorsetCase
13th February 2012, 12:57
You either payed for that albin or stole it off the only person that did buy it

It was $8 from Penny Lane. Worth it just for that track. Well $6 for that one and $2 for "New Rose" though the Damned original spanks it in every way.

Basically that band had one great record, and then a lot of filler and shite. Not as bad as, say, later Metlika* but pretty bad.

Any band that produced Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle deserves some respect though.

Crasherfromwayback
13th February 2012, 12:58
145 is a fairly big whack of power from a big cube, low revs twin. I'd say it'd scare the pants off me and leave my old thing in the dust.

Aye. It's the way they put the power down too. They get off the line pretty quickly.

HenryDorsetCase
13th February 2012, 12:58
So its ok to have a harley sound like the morning after 'mega-chilli-night' but soon as I cut the pipe off my vauxhall and go for a drive people cry bloody murder.

biased bastards.

Sensible people hate Vauxhalls. You know I'm right.

ducatilover
13th February 2012, 13:00
Aye. It's the way they put the power down too. They get off the line pretty quickly.
No doubt.
I can't get far without falling off anyway :rolleyes:

jasonu
13th February 2012, 14:05
wait

he is!.

Really, is that true???

Bikemad
13th February 2012, 14:06

wash ya mouth out enry..............second car was a 3.3 PB.........and yes it had no muffler either..............grrrr

jasonu
13th February 2012, 14:09

Is that it? 145HP from nearly 2000cc's. Sounds like it needs a bit of a tune up...

Crasherfromwayback
13th February 2012, 14:13
Is that it? 145HP from nearly 2000cc's. Sounds like it needs a bit of a tune up...

They're good enough to run 9's on. So not slow.

jasonu
13th February 2012, 14:16
They're good enough to run 9's on. So not slow.

1/8th mile eh.

Crasherfromwayback
13th February 2012, 14:22
1/8th mile eh.

Do the first 1/8 on one wheel son!:bleh:

jasonu
13th February 2012, 14:26
Do the first 1/8 on one wheel son!:bleh:

I like it!!!
I've seen a bit of Yank bike drags with the Vance & Hines Harleys (pro stock I think) letting rip and they don't hang about.

HenryDorsetCase
13th February 2012, 14:30
I like it!!!
I've seen a bit of Yank bike drags with the Vance & Hines Harleys (pro stock I think) letting rip and they don't hang about.

theres some decent u toob footage too.

Whatever your opinion of Jesse James and Monster Garage, one of the coolest things he did on one of his TV shows was try and ride a Pro Stock HD drag bike. He blew it up by being not aggressive enough.... it was frightening to watch.

they dont have those belts holding the motors together like a Top Fueler or funny car has holding teh blower on: good recipe for piston in the nads......

tigertim20
13th February 2012, 17:02
Just a wild stab in the dark but...

you don't have kids, do you.
not that I'll admit to . . . :shifty:

Really, is that true???

Yep. was a big fuckin hoo-haa about it a while ago. Im sure theres a few schools that ignore the decision to scrap it from being sung in schools etc, but yeah. fucking sad really eh?

scumdog
13th February 2012, 17:05
wash ya mouth out enry..............second car was a 3.3 PB.........and yes it had no muffler either..............grrrr

Right on -1st car was a 12 month old 3.3 Victor.

14 months and 23 tyres later i traded it in on a V8...:devil2:

Kickaha
13th February 2012, 17:39
Piss off, their 3.3 was far better than the equivalent Holden or Ford in stock form, 3.3 PB or Victor were excellent

Whatever your opinion of Jesse James and Monster Garage, one of the coolest things he did on one of his TV shows was try and ride a Pro Stock HD drag bike. He blew it up by being not aggressive enough.... it was frightening to watch.
My opinion is it's shit, they rig most of it to make him look better than he is like when he ran the Sidecar

Indiana_Jones
13th February 2012, 18:11
They did get the hint when I was playing Guns and Roses in the garage REALLY loud with the door open yesterday afternoon. Fuckers. Smart mouthed little fuckers

She's not my mother, Todd.

http://youtu.be/57g2I8pOFv0

-Indy

jrandom
13th February 2012, 19:52
It's a 120" FXDF making around 145hp.

Is that a Dynojet '145hp', or a 'this bike actually makes the same power as a new stock GSXR1000' 145hp?

blackdog
13th February 2012, 20:13
Is that a Dynojet '145hp', or a 'this bike actually makes the same power as a new stock GSXR1000' 145hp?

If my brand new gixxer thou is only making 145hp I would be taking it back to the dealer, as it is obviously broken.

jrandom
13th February 2012, 20:23
If my brand new gixxer thou is only making 145hp I would be taking it back to the dealer, as it is obviously broken.

A man used to on-paper horsepower numbers.

Crasherfromwayback
13th February 2012, 21:19

Go for a ride on one if you get the chance and report back.

avgas
14th February 2012, 08:09
http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/style/headwear/The-Inbred-Silicone-Mask-1336.jpg
Yeah but I don't count Austin drivers as normal people.

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 09:49
So would I...last I saw they were knocking 170 at the wheel.

Crasherfromwayback
14th February 2012, 09:58

That may well be the case. But I haven't seen too many people using all 170 of em!!!

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 10:01
That may well be the case. But I haven't seen too many people using all 170 of em!!!
Not without 12 o'clocking it or leaving big black marks on the road :laugh:

nudemetalz
14th February 2012, 12:59
What sort of horsies has the V-Rod engines for dragging been tuned up to, Crasher?

I know they brought out the "Destroyer" at around 165hp.

nosebleed
14th February 2012, 13:02
:laugh: love how quickly this thread went AWOL

Crasherfromwayback
14th February 2012, 13:11
What sort of horsies has the V-Rod engines for dragging been tuned up to, Crasher?

I know they brought out the "Destroyer" at around 165hp.

Not sure sorry mate. Too fast enough for this old cunt anyway...

HenryDorsetCase
14th February 2012, 13:29
Yeah but I don't count Austin drivers as normal people.

Morris Minor 1000 FTW!!! allyouhaterssuckmyballs

jrandom
14th February 2012, 13:32

170 paper horsepowers at the crank.

If you put a GSXR1000 on a Factory Pro dyno and it read 170 at the rear wheel I would be extraordinarily surprised.

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 13:39
170 paper horsepowers at the crank.

If you put a GSXR1000 on a Factory Pro dyno and it read 170 at the rear wheel I would be extraordinarily surprised.
The K5 was making around 165 at the wheel...I've seen them do it

Edit: All the dyno runs I have seen must be inaccurate, factory pro claim they are the most accurate...

jrandom
14th February 2012, 13:48
The K5 was making around 165 at the wheel...I've seen them do it

Edit: All the dyno runs I have seen must be inaccurate, factory pro claim they are the most accurate...

Dynojet dynos typically read about 15% high. There's some pseudo-technical nonsense their marketing department spouts about there being a good reason for this, but fundamentally it's so that they can sell more units so that bike shops can make their customers think they have more powerful bikes.

Not that any of this really matters, but I always get a giggle out of hearing guys beat their chest about their '170hp' machines.

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 15:03
Dynojet dynos typically read about 15% high. There's some pseudo-technical nonsense their marketing department spouts about there being a good reason for this, but fundamentally it's so that they can sell more units so that bike shops can make their customers think they have more powerful bikes.

Not that any of this really matters, but I always get a giggle out of hearing guys beat their chest about their '170hp' machines.
This means the HP loss compared to the factory crank hp claims are around 40-60hp...that's ridiculous!
I'd love to read an unbiased article on them to see what's what. The factorypro readings seem lower than any other dyno readings I've seen.
I imagine my 600 would make 70hp if I'm lucky on a factorypro unit... :facepalm:

jrandom
14th February 2012, 15:13
This means the HP loss compared to the factory crank hp claims are around 40-60hp...that's ridiculous!

I said 15%. That takes 170 down to 144.5. Not a 40-60hp loss.

I'd love to read an unbiased article on them to see what's what. The factorypro readings seem lower than any other dyno readings I've seen.

If you're really interested, call John at TripleZee Cycles (http://www.triplezeecycles.co.nz/Index.html) and ask him what's what. He knows his stuff and if he's not too busy he might be up for a wee chat.

I imagine my 600 would make 70hp if I'm lucky on a factorypro unit...

Remind me what your bike is?

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 15:20
I said 15%. That takes 170 down to 144.5. Not a 40-60hp loss. It's been a while since someone claimed 170hp at the crank isn't it? I thought most claim near 190-200 crank hp now

If you're really interested, call John at TripleZee Cycles (http://www.triplezeecycles.co.nz/Index.html) and ask him what's what. He knows his stuff and if he's not too busy he might be up for a wee chat. Thanks for that :niceone:
Always interested in knowing more stuff :yes:

Remind me what your bike is? ZZR600d, 4-1, ignition advancer and silly intake.

jrandom
14th February 2012, 15:22
ZZR600d, 4-1, ignition advancer and silly intake.

Yes, you'd probably read 70hp or so on a Factory Pro with that.

It's been a while since someone claimed 170hp at the crank isn't it?

Yeah, everything's TWO HUNDRED HORSE POWERS now. Yawn. It's not making anyone a better rider.

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 15:36
Yes, you'd probably read 70hp or so on a Factory Pro with that.

Yeah, everything's TWO HUNDRED HORSE POWERS now. Yawn. It's not making anyone a better rider.
Interesting, was talking to a well known chap in pommy land a few weeks back and he said I'd be looking at 100rwhp SAE corrected with what I have on it, 105 on a very lucky day.
Looking at the FatoryPro website, their SAE readings seem to be lower.
Quite a confusing thing.

My point is, where is the claimed 200hp going...:no:

FactoryPro say that some chaps ZX11D running 7.5 psi of boost pulled 150hp. I'd throw it off a bank if that happened.

HenryDorsetCase
14th February 2012, 16:08
I dinna understand. When Scotty is called on by Captain Kirk to produce more power, does he swap the Enterprise from a FactoryPro dyno to a DynoJet and say "Capn she canna taek na more!" The Klingons are still off the starboard bow!

In other words horsepower is a unit of measurement: surely the margin of error cannot be as great as you're saying?!??!

merv
14th February 2012, 16:18

So back to the original point, the fricken noise. If it is that loud it can't have a WOF unless some place in NZ issued one when it shouldn't have. What is it with people wanting a noisy bike? Is it more badass the more laws you actually break?

Crasherfromwayback
14th February 2012, 16:24
So back to the original point, the fricken noise. If it is that loud it can't have a WOF unless some place in NZ issued one when it shouldn't have. What is it with people wanting a noisy bike? Is it more badass the more laws you actually break?

The bike was sold with the std exhaust, albeit modified to the 120R could actually breathe. He picked up the V& H pipe in Australia and we fitted it then retuned the bike for it. To get a wof next time (from us), it'll have to have the std one back on it, as this one is too loud.

Meantime...it's his problem if he gets busted for excessive noise.

scissorhands
14th February 2012, 16:48
Harley rider with ape bars, no number plate (cept for this tiny thing I could barely read) and no rear view mirrors, riding Great North Road this morning. I pulled up next to him outside Red Baron.

His back tyre was too small and had little air, bike wobbled from traction issues off the mark. Late model bike, turned into the lane with all the panel shops 400m west of Red Baron.

GrayWolf
14th February 2012, 17:10
I imagine my 600 would make 70hp if I'm lucky on a factorypro unit... :facepalm:

Ahhhh the age old japanese BHP at the crank ploy,,,,,, took a long time to get the 'real' BHP figures at the rear wheel, which is where it counts!!!! The 'rear wheel' BHP will always be substantially lower that at the crank!!

GrayWolf
14th February 2012, 17:15
Harley rider with ape bars, no number plate (cept for this tiny thing I could barely read) and no rear view mirrors, riding Great North Road this morning. I pulled up next to him outside Red Baron.

His back tyre was too small and had little air, bike wobbled from traction issues off the mark. Late model bike, turned into the lane with all the panel shops 400m west of Red Baron.

Which goes to prove.............being BADASS gets you noticed!! :devil2:

scumdog
14th February 2012, 17:47

My '01 T-Sport puts out just over 65hp at the rear wheel - and proud of it!:2thumbsup

(and I use all of 'em, often)

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 22:04
Ahhhh the age old japanese BHP at the crank ploy,,,,,, took a long time to get the 'real' BHP figures at the rear wheel, which is where it counts!!!! The 'rear wheel' BHP will always be substantially lower that at the crank!!
I'm aware of the power losses, have spent countless hours with dynos :yes: but have never seen a FactoryPro unit and am interested in why they read so low compared to anything I've seen that's supposedly configured for SAE or STD measurements/corrections.

My '01 T-Sport puts out just over 65hp at the rear wheel - and proud of it!:2thumbsup

(and I use all of 'em, often)
Yeah, but you have V8s to make up for it.

tigertim20
14th February 2012, 22:29
it will be something to do with the correction factor maybe?
Dynos dont meaure horsepower, they measure engine speed and torque, and then calculate the HP figure, hence why its never accurate.

ducatilover
15th February 2012, 08:40
it will be something to do with the correction factor maybe?
Dynos dont meaure horsepower, they measure engine speed and torque, and then calculate the HP figure, hence why its never accurate.
The correction factor difference is a bit silly though, don't you think?

tigertim20
15th February 2012, 15:31
The correction factor difference is a bit silly though, don't you think?
Yes.

I honestly find dynos a bit pointless, other than a wank factor 'my bike has xxx horsepowers' - Id rather do a seat-of-the-pants type measurement of the bike.

Crasherfromwayback
15th February 2012, 15:35
Yes.

I honestly find dynos a bit pointless, other than a wank factor 'my bike has xxx horsepowers' - Id rather do a seat-of-the-pants type measurement of the bike.

Dynos are an awesome way to get rid of all the flat spots and dips in the torque curve mate. Ours is fantastic.

Latte
15th February 2012, 15:41
Dynos are an awesome way to get rid of all the flat spots and dips in the torque curve mate. Ours is fantastic.

This. And doing before / after comparisons for tuning purposes.

Crasherfromwayback
15th February 2012, 15:48

Absolutely. We've built and tuned some seriously fast bikes here. It's always torque we're looking for though, unlike what a lot of people think!

Swoop
15th February 2012, 16:01
Right on -1st car was a 12 month old 3.3 Victor.
Geeze, youse fullah's were rich to afford a year-old car at that age!

jasonu
15th February 2012, 16:39
not that I'll admit to . . . :shifty:

Yep. was a big fuckin hoo-haa about it a while ago. Im sure theres a few schools that ignore the decision to scrap it from being sung in schools etc, but yeah. fucking sad really eh?

Yep really sad.
Next thing they will be banning commercials showing all blacks bottle feeding their kids in public. Na, that's just silly, they'd never do that...

jasonu
15th February 2012, 16:59

I found the dyno invaluable when building/tuning my Bucket motor. I could get close using the seat of the pants method but to eek out the last 2 or 3 hp (7-8% of total hp) the dyno was the only way. My arse was just not sensitive enough to feel that amount.

ducatilover
15th February 2012, 17:00
It's always torque we're looking for though, unlike what a lot of people think!
Not hard to believe at all.

Kickaha
15th February 2012, 17:19
Seat of the pants is a totaly worthless way of sorting shit out and not accurate in any way shape or form

Dynos are an awesome way to get rid of all the flat spots and dips in the torque curve mate.
Wot he said, best way of tuning a bike, only tossers use them for wanking on about peak Hp figures and unless all the bikes being comapred were done on the same day on the same dyno it means bugger all

tigertim20
15th February 2012, 18:11
I guess if I had a racebike, Id get it done, but for my roadbike, ive never been really worried about that, it makes fuckin heaps of power, and does everything I want it to, and gets serviced whenever its needed.
I probably should have said 'except for racebikes' in that post lol

yeah I get that, but two bikes with the same dyno numbers can give you a very different experience when riding it

jrandom
15th February 2012, 18:34
Seat of the pants is a totaly worthless way of sorting shit out and not accurate in any way shape or form

wot 'e said.

FWIW, the only bike I've ever had dyno tuned was my GSX1400, after I'd changed the air filter and muffler. It didn't make fuck-all difference to power or torque, but it dramatically improved fuel economy, which had turned to shit after getting rid of the stock muffler and catalytic converter etc.

You'd never manage anything like that via seat-o-pants-o-meter.

GrayWolf
15th February 2012, 18:46
I've been following a thread in the MT owners group. A guy in Finland is doing some serious tuning on one, what has become of interest is that tuning the bike for MAX power at the top it is actually running a bit lean, and therefore running hot. A slight enriching of the mixture has reduced the power only slightly, but will drop the temperature quite noticeably. Which goes to show a dyno tuning can be good as long as the operator(s) know what they are looking at, the MT's for instance (and likely injected HD's that are air cooled) seem to have different injector setting for the rear cylinder. I am seriously thinking of a power commander, pipes reflowed, and a KN filter with modified airbox sometime this year, a dyno tune will be a 'must have' as part of the package.

ducatilover
15th February 2012, 18:51
I've been following a thread in the MT owners group. A guy in Finland is doing some serious tuning on one, what has become of interest is that tuning the bike for MAX power at the top it is actually running a bit lean, and therefore running hot. A slight enriching of the mixture has reduced the power only slightly, but will drop the temperature quite noticeably. Which goes to show a dyno tuning can be good as long as the operator(s) know what they are looking at, the MT's for instance (and likely injected HD's that are air cooled) seem to have different injector setting for the rear cylinder. I am seriously thinking of a power commander, pipes reflowed, and a KN filter with modified airbox sometime this year, a dyno tune will be a 'must have' as part of the package.
Is the MT air cooled? Usually that means a richer mixture in to the cylinder to cool the intake valve, also not as reliable with extreme cam ramps because of heat too.

Or so I'm told.

Crasherfromwayback
15th February 2012, 19:01
I am seriously thinking of a power commander, .

Power commanders are fucking poop. Don't go there.

GrayWolf
15th February 2012, 19:47
Is the MT air cooled? Usually that means a richer mixture in to the cylinder to cool the intake valve, also not as reliable with extreme cam ramps because of heat too.

Or so I'm told.

yes the MT has an air cooled, pushrod, dinosaur motor.
Your 'correct'? hence the guy leaving the mixture richer rather than leaner 'up top'. I believe the Yamaha 'stage 3' tuning kit (pipes, headers, cam's pistons, valve springs, and ECU) ups the bhp to 110 from 88-90 and torque from 150-170Nm's......there is also a turbo kit :shit: and Patrick racing in the USA do a 1900cc big bore kit... I think the 'best' attained so far is about 120bhp+ for a non turbo bike, haven't seen any torque figures for those yet.

GrayWolf
15th February 2012, 19:55

OK Pete,
I cant argue otherwise from any experience or installation knowledge, so can I ask why you have that opinion?
I know there is alternatives out there.
However, there is one (errrr 2) issue on the MT with any tuning... the O2 sensor is 'programmed into the stock ECU' and cannot be bypassed. It is read up to around 2.500rpm. Stage '2' tuning removes Exup, O2 sensor and replaces pipes, headers and ECU.
The PC is the only one? with the O2 sensor unit that can be installed to give 'false readings' to the stock ECU so the circuit is fooled into doing what's required for mixture. (If I've understood the units function correctly).

jrandom
15th February 2012, 20:05

What should I fit to the Nightster to go with the V&H pipes and air cleaner then?

merv
15th February 2012, 20:10
What should I fit to the Nightster to go with the V&H pipes and air cleaner then?

Is this all so you can ride as fast as beyond?

jrandom
15th February 2012, 20:11
Is this all so you can ride as fast as beyond?

I gave up on that a long time ago.

Crasherfromwayback
15th February 2012, 20:25

I shit you not, I'm am not simply saying this because I work in an HD dealership...but use a genuine HD Pro Tuner mate. Trust me.

scumdog
15th February 2012, 20:34
Geeze, youse fullah's were rich to afford a year-old car at that age!

Yea, I guess the modern day equivalent would be a 19 year old putting down cash for a one year old Commodore...how much do THEY cost??

(Hah, when has a modern 19 year old ever put down cash for anything worth more than $50???)

testastretta
15th February 2012, 22:04

Check out Dynojet Power Vision. Unlike the power commanders it's a flash tuner so dosent have to stay on your bike. You can return your bike to its original tune at any time. There are canned maps to suit your exhaust or you can datalog and tune your bike yourself. It has a touch screen display that you can mount on your bike and display all kinds of info like rpm,engine temp,gear selected,fuel economy and heaps more. Theres loads of info on hdforums.com and if you search " iron 883 power vision " on you tube you will see a video of one on my missus sporty.

Shadows
15th February 2012, 22:31
I shit you not, I'm am not simply saying this because I work in an HD dealership...but use a genuine HD Pro Tuner mate. Trust me.

After fitting a new exhaust system I plugged a PCV in my bike then got it tuned, and although it took 6 hours of dyno time to get it right I've got to say I'm pretty happy with the end result.

What are the cons of using a Power Commander vs. the HD unit though? What am I missing out on?

ducatilover
16th February 2012, 14:07
yes the MT has an air cooled, pushrod, dinosaur motor.
Your 'correct'? hence the guy leaving the mixture richer rather than leaner 'up top'. I believe the Yamaha 'stage 3' tuning kit (pipes, headers, cam's pistons, valve springs, and ECU) ups the bhp to 110 from 88-90 and torque from 150-170Nm's......there is also a turbo kit :shit: and Patrick racing in the USA do a 1900cc big bore kit... I think the 'best' attained so far is about 120bhp+ for a non turbo bike, haven't seen any torque figures for those yet.
I think my little arms would snap with 170nm... What a great bike it must be!

ducatilover
16th February 2012, 14:09
I know there is alternatives out there.
One of these with a wideband would see nice results.
http://www.microsquirt.info/
Have wired a few MegaSquirt systems in cars.