PDA

View Full Version : Red lights and other urban myths

rastuscat
13th February 2012, 18:12
I run a Popo section which does intersection checkpoints. It's coz intersection crashes are us, at least in Churchur.

Everyone you talk to is happy to tell you that hundreds of people go through red lights every day, all you have to do is watch a set of lights and you'll see lots of it.

Thing is, we DO sit at intersections watching traffic flows. I'm the spotter, I call the offences for my troops waiting down the road. I can testify that there aren't actually that many people going through red traffic lights.

Here's how the Road User Rule 2004 defines a red light offence........

5) While a steady red signal in the form of a disc is displayed or 2 alternately flashing red signals in the form of a disc are displayed,—
(a) a driver of a vehicle facing the signal or signals must not enter the controlled area, but a cyclist may enter ahead of a marked vehicle limit line and stop behind a marked cycle limit line:

So, to commit a red light offence, a light has to be red before the driver/rider ENTERS THE CONTROLLED AREA.

Nowhere is there a definition of what the controlled area is, I've looked. e use the old term, the intersection, hich is that area contained within the prolongation of the lateral boundary lines. So, a person does a red light if they enter the intersection while the light is red.

Now, I quite expect that I'll be deluged by folk telling me I should sit at Intersection A or Intersecton B, and I'll see hundreds of red light offences. Everyone seems to have their own favourite worst intersection. But none of them have spent the time I have, waiting for the elusive red light to happen.

We hammer yellow lights, those who just get into the intersection when the light goes red. This is NOT a red light offence.

Anyone in Churchur is welcome to nominate their favourite red light Mecca, then come and watch what happens when we stake it out.

Comments welcomed. Donuts too.

onearmedbandit
13th February 2012, 18:43
I run a Popo section which does intersection checkpoints. It's coz intersection crashes are us, at least in Churchur.

all you have to do is atch a set of lights and you'll see lots of it.

e use the old term, the intersection, hich is that area contained within the prolongation of the lateral boundary lines.

... I should sit at Intersection A or Intersecton B, and I'll see hundreds of red light offences.

Anyone in Churchur is welcome to nominate their favourite red light Mecca,

I've got a comment. You need a new keyboard.

spookytooth
13th February 2012, 18:53
well no ones gunna run a red if they see grunters around

mossy1200
13th February 2012, 19:01
I would say they 99.99 % that dont run them isnt the problem but the one in 10k that does is a serious issue

first offence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyCJ69GU974&feature=related

second offence you get to ride along

SMOKEU
13th February 2012, 19:04
Are there many red light cameras around Christchurch?

Oakie
13th February 2012, 19:09

Point is that they don't see them as Popo sets a clever ambush as my co-worker who got nabbed last week after rolling through a stop sign would attest. Popo 1 was standing on a nearby bridge notes rego and radios Popo 2 wating just up the road who pulled her (and several others) over for a $150 chat.

rastuscat
13th February 2012, 19:12
I've got a comment. You need a new keyboard.

Sorted. Yes my w key is jamming. Like a hole bunch of guitar rock stars.

rastuscat
13th February 2012, 19:16

Yeah, that's why I don't wear uniform and stick out like dogs nuts when I am spotting. Funny ol' thing, we aren't totally fecking stupid.

Nobody sees the Popos until they step out and flag them down, around several seconds after I have seen the offence.

By then the deal is already done.

rastuscat
13th February 2012, 19:17
Point is that they don't see them as Popo sets a clever ambush as my co-worker who got nabbed last week after rolling through a stop sign would attest. Popo 1 was standing on a nearby bridge notes rego and radios Popo 2 wating just up the road who pulled her (and several others) over for a $150 chat.

We're not the only section that does it, but chances are it was us. Sorry. Actually, no I'm not.:bleh:

rastuscat
13th February 2012, 19:18

No

Letters added coz KB says I have to. Seems simple answers aren't enuff.

Tigadee
13th February 2012, 19:20

Wouldn't you like to know! :laugh:

Oakie
13th February 2012, 19:21
We're not the only section that does it, but chances are it was us. Sorry. Actually, no I'm not.:bleh: You don't have to be sorry. I use the road she rolled onto so it's all good from where I'm sitting.

spookytooth
13th February 2012, 19:22
Funny ol' thing, we aren't totally fecking stupid.

thats you opion :)

Scuba_Steve
13th February 2012, 19:25
Let me know when your up doing Welly I'll bring a bag of the good stuff :msn-wink:
(I would bring a bottle of the good stuff too, but I'm sure theres something against doing that on duty)

onearmedbandit
13th February 2012, 19:40

I really hope the mistakes in that sentence were done for sake of humour...

Kickaha
13th February 2012, 19:43
No.
There used to be, what happened to them? didn't they generate enough revenue to be worthwhile?

Captain_Salty
13th February 2012, 19:57
Bugger all cars but plenty of cyclists. Time for some mufti-cycle cops.

paturoa
13th February 2012, 19:58
I don't know about chch, but I'm sure that there are a few in dorkland where you would catch a few. It seems to be worst during "rush" hour.

I'll take particular note on the red before thing.

When I ride my bike I DO NOT stop on amber lights, it is just too dangerous on the bike because of the tail gaters and red light runners. I'd just get mown down.

strata
13th February 2012, 20:01
Anyone in Churchur is welcome to nominate their favourite red light Mecca, then come and watch what happens when we stake it out.

Matipo St/Riccarton Rd gets pretty bad at times, as does Ferry/Aldwins (people who are coming from the West regularly turn left into Aldwins Road on a red)

Between these two intersections you'll be able to score yourself a donut oven. forget the toaster

Oakie
13th February 2012, 20:10
If we get to nominate our own blitz, can mine be on people who indicate right on entering a roundabout and then go straight ahead ... espeically if they are in the left lane of a dual lane and I'm in the right lane. That is a real sphincter puckerer.

SMOKEU
13th February 2012, 21:01
When I ride my bike I DO NOT stop on amber lights, it is just too dangerous on the bike because of the tail gaters and red light runners. I'd just get mown down.

That and the fact that many vehicles leak oil and/or diesel on the roads when stopped for a red light, so you could end up going for a slide.

If we get to nominate our own blitz, can mine be on people who indicate right on entering a roundabout and then go straight ahead ... espeically if they are in the left lane of a dual lane and I'm in the right lane. That is a real sphincter puckerer.

I still can't understand why it's so difficult for some people to understand when and where indicators should be used.

tigertim20
13th February 2012, 21:27
interesting to see the definition you guys have!

steve_t
13th February 2012, 21:31
What are the consequences of a yellow light offence?

Jantar
13th February 2012, 21:59
No

Letters added coz KB says I have to. Seems simple answers aren't enuff.
Oh? ..........

Gremlin
14th February 2012, 01:12
Pity you ain't in Auckland. One of the bike cops up here used to sit at intersections and do a steady trade in East Auckland. Used to watch him wait for his phase, close his helmet as the lights turned orange, wait for the car to go through on red, then pursue. Easy as that. We get cars still coming through when it's turned green for us. Pity he moved to SCU, haven't seen a replacement around...

Oh, and often the cars really don't notice. One car ran a very red light, with a marked cop car sitting in the lane next to it (I was behind the cop car).

riffer
14th February 2012, 05:09

You could get hit by a car on the opposing lane jumping the green.

rastuscat
14th February 2012, 07:21

Interesting question.

In Churchur the traffic engineers are reluctant to deploy green turn arrows. This has resulted in people using the yellow light as a turn phase. Our worst intersections are the multi lane ones, big wide avenues. hen someone is turning, they have to cross several lanes of opposing direction before they exit the intersection.

At the same time as someone is using the yellow phase to turn (and not have to (gasp:argh:.....wait) there is occasionally someone coming in the other direction who is also looking at the yellow light, deciding whether to stop or nail it to beat the change to red.

Occasionally the person turning doesn't see the other car, and occasionally the person coming straight through from the other direction is nailing it. Too many times, these two crash.

The turning person may even have seen the oncoming car, and decided that the oncoming driver has plenty of time to stop, so will.

There are so many permutations for the yellow light crash, when it's very preventable.

If someone crosses the lines to enter the intersection and they just are just across the line when the light turns red, they haven't committed a red light offence. In Churchur the yellow lights are 4 seconds in duration, so if a car/bike enters as the light turned red, they ere 4 seconds back when it went yellow. At 50 km/h that's over 50 metres. Plenty of time to have stopped.

So may times we get the arguments about how the light had just gone yellow, when in fact it had turned red just as they entered. We hear all about the having to keep going because someone was so close behind, even where there is nothing behind. Basically, for every yellow light ticket there is an excuse.

The classic is a person waiting to turn right at a set of lights. They are stationary behind the limit line. They are waiting at a green light, waiting for the traffic coming the other way to clear. The light goes yellow, the traffic coming the other way (miraculously) slows because their light has gone yellow too, and the stationary vehicle sets off, using the yellow light as a turn phase. No problemo, until a driver coming the other way is nailing it to also beat the lights.

The general thought is that it's totally okay to go through a yellow light. Thing is, there is a condition on that.

(4) While a steady yellow signal in the form of a disc is displayed,—
(a) a driver facing the signal must not enter the controlled area while the signal is displayed unless the driver's vehicle is, when the signal first appears, so close to the controlled area that it cannot safely be stopped before entering the area:

The discussion normally comes down to one of whether the stop can be made safely. The driver is making a retrospective judgement, where they drive through, we confront them, then they come up with a reason why they couldn't stop, which normally bears no relevance to what actually happened.

I smile (always inside, of course) when someone in say, an R8 Commodore or a new Merc or Audi (all fitted with awesome brakes, enters an intersection a split second before the light goes red. We stop them, and they argue that they couldn't stop in time. LEARN TO DRIVE YA NUMPTY. Always only ever said quietly and to ourselves, of course.

Happy to debate traffic light things, it's like, Traffic Lights R Us. My section is called the Intersection Safety Team, I have learned a thing or two about the subject since we were set up.

Donuts

rastuscat
14th February 2012, 07:31
Pity you ain't in Auckland. One of the bike cops up here used to sit at intersections and do a steady trade in East Auckland. Used to watch him wait for his phase, close his helmet as the lights turned orange, wait for the car to go through on red, then pursue. Easy as that. We get cars still coming through when it's turned green for us. Pity he moved to SCU, haven't seen a replacement around...

Oh, and often the cars really don't notice. One car ran a very red light, with a marked cop car sitting in the lane next to it (I was behind the cop car).

I was on an R80RT-P when K Rd and Queen St was in one of it's previous formats, late eighties. It was dead exciting, sitting on the South West kerb on K Rd, watching the lights for the traffic coming down Upper Q Street. When the light for traffic travelling North went yellow, the balloon went up. I would look to see if anything was going to keep going. If it was, I'd start the bike, and hover my thumbs over the bells and whistles buttons. Shazam, red light, car goes through. The trick was to get the bells and whistles going, get the bike in gear and get across the intersection before K Rd traffic stated to flow.

These days I need a cup of tea just thinking about it. :weird:

chasio
14th February 2012, 07:43
I was on an R80RT-P when K Rd and Queen St was in one of it's previous formats, late eighties. It was dead exciting, sitting on the South West kerb on K Rd, watching the lights for the traffic coming down Upper Q Street. When the light for traffic travelling North went yellow, the balloon went up. I would look to see if anything was going to keep going. If it was, I'd start the bike, and hover my thumbs over the bells and whistles buttons. Shazam, red light, car goes through. The trick was to get the bells and whistles going, get the bike in gear and get across the intersection before K Rd traffic stated to flow.

These days I need a cup of tea just thinking about it. :weird:

Please come back to Auckland. I'll give you a donut for every twat you ping on Halsey St & Fanshawe (if we make it 2 donuts per bus there, you'll need to borrow one from Stagecoach to take them all home in) as well as Beaumont & Fanshawe. Those are the two worst junctions I have ever seen, and that is saying something in Auckland. In morning rush hour you'd get someone at speed and fully on red at every other phase change (at least).

I have often considered setting up a camera on the Halsey/Fanshawe intersection and sending the footage to the bus companies. They would find it revealing, I suspect.

Swoop
14th February 2012, 07:45
Good on ya RC.

Red light runners are far more of a problem than most motorists' care to acknowledge.

Can you not simply stand at the intersection with a 12g (loaded with solid slugs of course) and pick the bastards off? It would stop the problem overnight.

oneofsix
14th February 2012, 07:47
Interesting question.

In Churchur the traffic engineers are reluctant to deploy green turn arrows. This has resulted in people using the yellow light as a turn phase. Our worst intersections are the multi lane ones, big wide avenues. hen someone is turning, they have to cross several lanes of opposing direction before they exit the intersection.

At the same time as someone is using the yellow phase to turn (and not have to (gasp:argh:.....wait) there is occasionally someone coming in the other direction who is also looking at the yellow light, deciding whether to stop or nail it to beat the change to red.

Occasionally the person turning doesn't see the other car, and occasionally the person coming straight through from the other direction is nailing it. Too many times, these two crash.

The turning person may even have seen the oncoming car, and decided that the oncoming driver has plenty of time to stop, so will.

There are so many permutations for the yellow light crash, when it's very preventable.

If someone crosses the lines to enter the intersection and they just are just across the line when the light turns red, they haven't committed a red light offence. In Churchur the yellow lights are 4 seconds in duration, so if a car/bike enters as the light turned red, they ere 4 seconds back when it went yellow. At 50 km/h that's over 50 metres. Plenty of time to have stopped.

So may times we get the arguments about how the light had just gone yellow, when in fact it had turned red just as they entered. We hear all about the having to keep going because someone was so close behind, even where there is nothing behind. Basically, for every yellow light ticket there is an excuse.

The classic is a person waiting to turn right at a set of lights. They are stationary behind the limit line. They are waiting at a green light, waiting for the traffic coming the other way to clear. The light goes yellow, the traffic coming the other way (miraculously) slows because their light has gone yellow too, and the stationary vehicle sets off, using the yellow light as a turn phase. No problemo, until a driver coming the other way is nailing it to also beat the lights.

The general thought is that it's totally okay to go through a yellow light. Thing is, there is a condition on that.

(4) While a steady yellow signal in the form of a disc is displayed,—
(a) a driver facing the signal must not enter the controlled area while the signal is displayed unless the driver's vehicle is, when the signal first appears, so close to the controlled area that it cannot safely be stopped before entering the area:

The discussion normally comes down to one of whether the stop can be made safely. The driver is making a retrospective judgement, where they drive through, we confront them, then they come up with a reason why they couldn't stop, which normally bears no relevance to what actually happened.

I smile (always inside, of course) when someone in say, an R8 Commodore or a new Merc or Audi (all fitted with awesome brakes, enters an intersection a split second before the light goes red. We stop them, and they argue that they couldn't stop in time. LEARN TO DRIVE YA NUMPTY. Always only ever said quietly and to ourselves, of course.

Happy to debate traffic light things, it's like, Traffic Lights R Us. My section is called the Intersection Safety Team, I have learned a thing or two about the subject since we were set up.

Donuts

the embarrassing ones are where the light goes yellow and it takes time to evaluate if you can stop, damp road etc, by the time you have done that you can no longer stop safely or you try to stop but realise you aint guna make it but have lost so much momentum you are now finishing the crossing on the red.
Pet hate at the moment are red arrows, you can clearly see there aint any traffic but you are still held on a red arrow and you know you will have to wait for a full sequence before you get the go. Or they have a red arrow cause there is a pedestrian crossing around the corner, there are already rules for pedestrian crossing that say I have to give way so I don't need to be held on a red arrow long after the pedestrian has already cleared the frigging crossing. :angry:

Jay GTI
14th February 2012, 07:48
Interesting thread. The worst intersection I know of, just outside where I work, is the Fanshaw and Halsey Streets intersection in Auckland. Come 5pm and the madness starts... however, as clearly defined, the actual red light offences probably are few and far between.

Far more prevalent is the behaviour where a yellow is chanced by one or two vehicles, but due to the high volume of traffic (i.e. a slow moving queue of traffic on the other side of the intersection), the vehicles then have to slow and stop before they have left the intersection, so that when the green lights up for the next direction, these are vehicles sat in the intersection blocking traffic. I assume that by the letter of the law, this isn't actually an offence?

steve_t
14th February 2012, 08:02
So if I enter an intersection under a yellow light when I could easily stopped and you catch me, is there a fine or demerits? And do these bullshit excuses for why people felt they were unable to stop safely working? :msn-wink:

MSTRS
14th February 2012, 08:02
Far more prevalent is the behaviour where a yellow is chanced by one or two vehicles, but due to the high volume of traffic (i.e. a slow moving queue of traffic on the other side of the intersection), the vehicles then have to slow and stop before they have left the intersection, so that when the green lights up for the next direction, these are vehicles sat in the intersection blocking traffic. I assume that by the letter of the law, this isn't actually an offence?

I believe the law states that you must not enter an intersection unless the exit is clear.
Even when there is a chance that they won't make it through, people take the risk all the time. Sometimes it's a bad call...

chasio
14th February 2012, 08:04
Interesting thread. The worst intersection I know of, just outside where I work, is the Fanshaw and Halsey Streets intersection in Auckland. Come 5pm and the madness starts... however, as clearly defined, the actual red light offences probably are few and far between.

Ah yes, I forgot the going-home twats at that same intersection. It's not a box junction and should be. Bit of a long way for RC to come and sort them out for us, I fear.

rastuscat
14th February 2012, 08:08

Road User Rule 2004
4.5 Approaching and entering intersections
(1) A driver must not increase speed when approaching an intersection if any other vehicle is approaching or crossing.
(2) Despite anything in Part 3, a driver approaching an intersection or an area controlled by traffic signals must not enter the intersection or controlled area if the driver's intended passage or exit is blocked by stationary traffic.

It's an offence to enter an intersection when the exit is blocked by stationary traffic.

Thing is, to prove the offence, the Popo has to see exactly what was happening WHEN YOU ENTERED THE INTERSECTION. It's not enough just to say that someone got stuck in an intersection to KA CHING, ticket time. It's possible that the person entered the intersection when traffic was flowing, but got stuck when it all stopped and they got stranded.

Funny thing, these things often start out as common sense, get written into law, get argued in court by people arguing technicalities, and end up not making sense to real people in the real world.

From the tone of your post I suspect that you are well onto the problem.............something that looks like just bad driving might not meet the requirements for a KA CHING to happen.

I sometimes stand back and watch crap driving and ponder exactly which law they have broken.

rastuscat
14th February 2012, 08:10
So if I enter an intersection under a yellow light when I could easily stopped and you catch me, is there a fine or demerits? And do these bullshit excuses for why people felt they were unable to stop safely working? :msn-wink:

There's the kicker. Got a noisy vehicle? Unregistered vehicle? There's points for that.

Nil points for red light offences, nil points for yellow light offences. Bloody ridiculous.

:doh:

Penalty on the KA CHING is $150 for each.

The excuses tend to not work coz we write tickets based on what we see, not what people say. If I didn't think they had broken the rules, we wouldn't be stopping them in the first place.

oneofsix
14th February 2012, 08:11
I believe the law states that you must not enter an intersection unless the exit is clear.
Even when there is a chance that they won't make it through, people take the risk all the time. Sometimes it's a bad call...

Another law that has had a recent wording change. Essentially correct but consider the right turner, their exit may be clear but their path may not.
The entering an intersection when the exit is not clear has an interesting snowball effect. Consider a cross intersection, say North-south and East-west to keep it simple, where traffic is heavy both South and East (hope I got that right). Now lets say someone pushes across heading south but can't clear, the heavy east traffic is now blocked so when it does clear they feel they have the 'right'/'need' or whatever to gain back the time they were blocked, it is only fair after all right? and so it goes until there is now always vehicles in the intersection. Example; Kapiti Lights during rush minute or weekend rush.

Parlane
14th February 2012, 08:16

If the penalty is the same, why is it not just the same offence, and why place emphasis on red light running, do you actually just mean "not-green" runners ?

oneofsix
14th February 2012, 08:22
If the penalty is the same, why is it not just the same offence, and why place emphasis on red light running, do you actually just mean "not-green" runners ?

The penalty is the same for many offences, doesn't make the offence the same. I think most people see red running as worse than running a yellow. may not be true but that is the way it is viewed. At least on the yellow the opposing traffic is still held by a red and it could have been a mistake, but running a red, to quote the stupid ads, no excuses.

rastuscat
14th February 2012, 08:24

If someone goes through a yellow that they could/should have stopped for, they get a yellow light ticket. $150, nil points.

If some goes through a red light, they get a red light ticket. $150, nil points.

It's just the way the law is written.

We hammer the yellows here because if people actually stopped for yellow lights when they could, per the law, the crashes arising from same would drop. Reds are our Gold-medal offence, we love them, but there aren't as many as people think.

Lelitu
14th February 2012, 08:28
There's the kicker. Got a noisy vehicle? Unregistered vehicle? There's points for that.

Nil points for red light offences, nil points for yellow light offences. Bloody ridiculous.

:doh:

The excuses tend to not work coz we write tickets based on what we see, not what people say. If I didn't think they had broken the rules, we wouldn't be stopping them in the first place.

bleh, I'm of the opinion that a red light offense should carry 75 points.
do it twice, and your licence is gone for a time..

yellow lights, perhaps 45? enough that doing it three times puts you over.

oneofsix
14th February 2012, 08:30
bleh, I'm of the opinion that a red light offense should carry 75 points.
do it twice, and your licence is gone for a time..

yellow lights, perhaps 45? enough that doing it three times puts you over.

:shit: you would put the Wellington City buses out of action within a day. :laugh:

Lelitu
14th February 2012, 08:34
:shit: you would put the Wellington City buses out of action within a day. :laugh:

Harsh, but I'd rather not have to dodge some bastard that ran a red.

Jay GTI
14th February 2012, 09:17
Ah yes, I forgot the going-home twats at that same intersection. It's not a box junction and should be. Bit of a long way for RC to come and sort them out for us, I fear.

He doesn't need to, the intersection is regularly monitored by the Police, usually with a video camera.

It's possible that the person entered the intersection when traffic was flowing, but got stuck when it all stopped and they got stranded.

This is by and large what does happen and as you say, technically hard to turn into a penalty (with no doubt any attempt to do so met with the usual undeserved derision). A bit of fore-thought, planning ahead and some monitoring of the blindly obvious would help solve this, but that requires a level of courtesy that some can't seem to manage, as getting home 45seconds earlier than if they'd waited for the next green is far more important. I can appreciate your frustration...

oneofsix
14th February 2012, 09:34
It's possible that the person entered the intersection when traffic was flowing, but got stuck when it all stopped and they got stranded.

This is by and large what does happen and as you say, technically hard to turn into a penalty (with no doubt any attempt to do so met with the usual undeserved derision). A bit of fore-thought, planning ahead and some monitoring of the blindly obvious would help solve this, but that requires a level of courtesy that some can't seem to manage, as getting home 45seconds earlier than if they'd waited for the next green is far more important. I can appreciate your frustration...

Isn't there a condition on the green meaning go that says something like if the intersection is clear, not exit mind you as discussed in other posts above. Those on the green shouldn't be proceeding until the stranded one has cleared the intersection. Can see any cop enforcing that having an argument on their hands :eek: "but I had the green!" :laugh:

Parlane
14th February 2012, 09:47
Isn't there a condition on the green meaning go that says something like if the intersection is clear, not exit mind you as discussed in other posts above. Those on the green shouldn't be proceeding until the stranded one has cleared the intersection. Can see any cop enforcing that having an argument on their hands :eek: "but I had the green!" :laugh:

If you are saying what I think you are, I was in the belief that you could not enter the intersection until there was a space on your exit. Obviously with traffic flow this can be a problem, or atleast people can say it is. But to be honest, you can clearly see what traffic flow is like. I tend to hold back more than others at an intersection when going straight if traffic is slow, and then go when there is space for me.

I give everyone the glare when they are in the intersection when my light goes green!

Right turning traffic is going to get so much worse soon in Christchurch. :(

Also regarding traffic lights, I love the light system changes that cause a giveway left turn, to go orange and then go green.

oneofsix
14th February 2012, 09:53
If you are saying what I think you are, I was in the belief that you could not enter the intersection until there was a space on your exit. Obviously with traffic flow this can be a problem, or atleast people can say it is. But to be honest, you can clearly see what traffic flow is like. I tend to hold back more than others at an intersection when going straight if traffic is slow, and then go when there is space for me.

I give everyone the glare when they are in the intersection when my light goes green!

Right turning traffic is going to get so much worse soon in Christchurch. :(

Also regarding traffic lights, I love the light system changes that cause a giveway left turn, to go orange and then go green.

What I was saying is all you can do is "glare when they are in the intersection when your light goes green" because you don't actually have the right to proceed until they are out of the intersection. I would like to check this but it appears the NZTA website is rather slow or down at the moment.

Gremlin
14th February 2012, 09:59
Reds are our Gold-medal offence, we love them, but there aren't as many as people think.
15,000km a year around Auckland just for work... believe me when I say there's plenty up here. Several intersections around Botany Town Centre (the ones in my previous post were all at the lights right next to Paradice Skating Rink - which incidentally is in the top 10 dangerous intersections for Auckland) have people running the red on most phases, worse in rush hour (like several cars go through while you have a green light), and also next to Otara Shopping Centre (but I've seen the cops set up there on odd occasions).

Scuba_Steve
14th February 2012, 10:54
Now for the fun part of the law :clap:

Everyone who enters an intersection from being stopped at lights, a stop sign, or even a give way is breaking the law!
where are those "the law is the law" idiots???

oneofsix
14th February 2012, 10:58

Everyone who enters an intersection from being stopped at lights, a stop sign, or even a give way is breaking the law!

Where you get that about it being illegal to enter the intersection after being stopped?. Pity sure the stop sign law has something like you can proceed once the way is clear.

Scuba_Steve
14th February 2012, 11:08
Where you get that about it being illegal to enter the intersection after being stopped?. Pity sure the stop sign law has something like you can proceed once the way is clear.

The law as it is written (land transport road user), where else???
It all comes down to how it is written not the intent. Just like buses not being able to stop at bus stops previously, it wasn't the intent but it was what was written (tho I never saw 1 of them get ticketed for it despite it being illegal & them doing it multiple times a day, some even in-front of cop shops, must be that "discretion" thing they mention <_<)

imac
14th February 2012, 11:41
Not constructive I warrant but I have always wanted to get a beat up old hilux/landrover/patrol and go trolling for red light runners. I reckon you could wreck a dozen cars a day

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 12:06
http://nickeldiner.com/img/photos/desserts/maple-donut-tray-473.jpg
Bacon Donuts :niceone:

meteor
14th February 2012, 12:08
... Just like buses not being able to stop at bus stops...

I have a mate (actually I do!) that has a painted bus stop running the full lenght of his road frontage. Buses only run there during Mon-Fri til about 7pm. He got a ticket for parking there on a Sunday. Do you think the council parking people would waive it? The law is the law and there's no place for common sense! Sorry, bit off topic I know...

rastuscat
14th February 2012, 13:17

Wot?

Sorry Scoober, not sure which law you're talking about. Act and Section please.

You're right about it being the way the law is written, not the way it is intended.

If you pull the handbrake on and slide your cage to a halt, you've had a sustained loss of traction. However, that's not what the gubbermint intended when it passed the burnout law. Generally the Popos will charge you with careless driving for a handbrake slide.

Per example, the law used to say you have to wear your seatbelt. Some folk wore them incorrectly, but all the law said was that you had to wear it, and that it had to be fastened. So, you could wear it under your arm, if you wanted. The rules have now been changed, to say that you have to wear it, you have to wear it correctly.

7.10 Persons of or over 15 years must wear seat belts and keep them fastened
(1) Subclause (2) applies when a person—
(a) is in a motor vehicle; and
(b) is occupying a seat fitted with a seat belt, whether or not the seat belt is an approved seat belt; and
(c) is aged 15 years or more.
(2) While the vehicle is in motion on the road, the person must—
(a) wear the seat belt correctly so that he or she is properly restrained; and
(b) keep the seat belt securely fastened.

Correctly is determined by the dude who designed it.

That's the thing, when people start to take the mickey and use a technicality to exploit the law, the gubbermint responds by changing the law.

FJRider
14th February 2012, 13:36
I have a mate (actually I do!) that has a painted bus stop running the full lenght of his road frontage. Buses only run there during Mon-Fri til about 7pm. He got a ticket for parking there on a Sunday. Do you think the council parking people would waive it? The law is the law and there's no place for common sense! Sorry, bit off topic I know...

Actually ... ANY bus can stop on a bus stop. Not just your local scheduled council bus service. Even if they are the only buses, that actually/normally use it ....

So the short answer ... probably no. A letter written to the council parking people might work though .... worth a try ..

ckai
14th February 2012, 14:12
Very interesting stuff. Makes sense to nab yellow lights. It makes me feel slightly better that it's against the law to stop in an intersection if its blocked. The shit pisses me off during busy traffic and it screws up the flow for other roads.

God this annoys me too. Took the brother-in-law for a prep ride for his 6R and noticed he did that. Pulled him up and asked him about it. He said that's what he thought he had to do. I asked him if someone did that to him from the opposite direction would he know where they were going. Of course he said no. Then I said "it would piss you off to know he was going straight and you could have gone, right?" Yip, he replied.

So at least that's one less person that will do it. Hopefully he'll tell someone else and by 2075 it'll be sweet for the next law change. :)

oneofsix
14th February 2012, 14:18
Very interesting stuff. Makes sense to nab yellow lights. It makes me feel slightly better that it's against the law to stop in an intersection if its blocked. The shit pisses me off during busy traffic and it screws up the flow for other roads.

God this annoys me too. Took the brother-in-law for a prep ride for his 6R and noticed he did that. Pulled him up and asked him about it. He said that's what he thought he had to do. I asked him if someone did that to him from the opposite direction would he know where they were going. Of course he said no. Then I said "it would piss you off to know he was going straight and you could have gone, right?" Yip, he replied.

So at least that's one less person that will do it. Hopefully he'll tell someone else and by 2075 it'll be sweet for the next law change. :)

Instead of these continuous TV ads on speed how about the same number on how to use your indicators? Do a hell of a lot more good. How to indicate at round-a-bouts for morons series.

MSTRS
14th February 2012, 14:20
Reds are our Gold-medal offence, we love them, but there aren't as many as people think.

Where were you 5 minutes ago? I stopped short at a red just now, and had to pull forward into the space left by the dickhead who went straight through. It was amber as we approached, then turned red before s/he reached the line. I swear the tyres on that little car smoked as it accelerated across the intersection.
You'd have been dining on donuts (with sprinkles) for a month on that score...

Parlane
14th February 2012, 14:57
Instead of these continuous TV ads on speed how about the same number on how to use your indicators? Do a hell of a lot more good. How to indicate at round-a-bouts for morons series.

And ads on how to UNZIP as well as zipping. People don't seem to understand the benefits of 1 - 2(at lights) - 1 lanes.

Zedder
14th February 2012, 15:12

The advertising budget for the next 2 years would be blown before the message got through!!

Guided_monkey
14th February 2012, 15:24
Would love for the poppo's to concentrate on red light runners. Am sick of being at the front of a queue and when my light goes green I still check both ways.

Saved my bacon twice in 5 years.

Last time the offender did not feel like stepping out of his ute and discussing the needs of my 2 yr old daughter to having a dad.:2guns:

schrodingers cat
14th February 2012, 15:36
Got to love the shakey city.

Orange is an emphatic green

Red is simply advanced Orange.

There seems to be quite a delay between Red on one lane and Green on the next to allow for this jiggery pokery.

Classic

Zedder
14th February 2012, 15:45
Would love for the poppo's to concentrate on red light runners. Am sick of being at the front of a queue and when my light goes green I still check both ways.

Saved my bacon twice in 5 years.

Last time the offender did not feel like stepping out of his ute and discussing the needs of my 2 yr old daughter to having a dad.:2guns:

I've had a few "near hits" at lights on my bike in the past. I now don't sit at the front between two cars like a lot of bikers I see and I count to three before taking off if I'm first in the queue.

rastuscat
14th February 2012, 15:50
Got to love the shakey city.

Orange is an emphatic green

Red is simply advanced Orange.

There seems to be quite a delay between Red on one lane and Green on the next to allow for this jiggery pokery.

Classic

The shakey city is a gem alright.

An extra phase at a set of lights (green arrow) takes time away from the existing phases, and can cause congestion. In Orkers, they've given up trying to solve congestion, and treat safety more seriously i.e. they use filter arrows. Down here they want to have a foot in each camp, believing they can still calm congestion. The filter arrows are few and far between.

Evidence can be found at Main North / QEII. It used to be our equal worst crash intersection, equal with Manchester/Bealey. The LB movement crash (right turn versus straight through) was the winner in the crash cause competition at each, with 57 injury crashes at each between 2003 and 2007. Thing is, Main North/QEII is a Transit intersection, coz it's a state highway. So there is now a filter arrow to turn right to go North. Luckily we had an earthquake, so Manchester/Bealey is no longer one of our worst either, despite still having no arrow. Different traffic engineers, different philosophy, different priorities.

The only light in Churchur with less than a 4 second amber is Pilgrim Place/Moorhouse, it has 3 seconds. It's the wee road opposite Manchester, and nobdy gets a chance to go fast there, it's too short before the lights. Less orange need for slower cars, you see. At all the big intersection where the limit is 60 or more, the yellow is longer, to allow for the increased stopping distance. A fact not taken into account by those who use the orange as their own personal end phase.

BTW, the law used to say orange, then amber, now it says yellow. And all the time the lights either side have been red and green.

Donuts

jasonu
14th February 2012, 15:59

Everyone you talk to is happy to tell you that hundreds of people go through red lights every day, all you have to do is watch a set of lights and you'll see lots of it.

Thing is, we DO sit at intersections watching traffic flows. I'm the spotter, I call the offences for my troops waiting down the road. I can testify that there aren't actually that many people going through red traffic lights.

You'd make a fortune doing it here.

Clockwork
14th February 2012, 16:36

Oh please, YES!

Or how about,
how and when to merge, rather than Give Way. Or
don't speed up when you reach a passing lane. Or
keep left unless you are passing (yes, even if you are already doing the speed limit). Or

well, you get the idea.

Scuba_Steve
14th February 2012, 16:56
Wot?

Sorry Scoober, not sure which law you're talking about. Act and Section please.

(b) is occupying a seat fitted with a seat belt, whether or not the seat belt is an approved seat belt; and

(1) A driver must not increase speed when approaching an intersection if any other vehicle is approaching or crossing.

Now you can't tell me anyone other than the 1st car in line can approach an intersection without increasing speed and during the day there will be other vehicles approaching the intersection & the 1st car would be crossing see illegal :bleh:
Isn't the law fun :laugh:

Oh and cheers I see I am legally allowed to wear the seatbelt in the landy now :niceone:

And ads on how to UNZIP as well as zipping. People don't seem to understand the benefits of 1 - 2(at lights) - 1 lanes.

Oh please, YES!

Or how about,
how and when to merge, rather than Give Way. Or
don't speed up when you reach a passing lane. Or
keep left unless you are passing (yes, even if you are already doing the speed limit). Or

well, you get the idea.

Forget about it, I've had it from the horses mouth they have no interest in informing people. Straight up teaching people is not of interest to them, pushing propaganda is.

FJRider
14th February 2012, 18:08
Now you can't tell me anyone other than the 1st car in line can approach an intersection without increasing speed and during the day there will be other vehicles approaching the intersection & the 1st car would be crossing see illegal :bleh:
Isn't the law fun :laugh:

Originally Posted by Land Transport Road User Rule 2004 4.5(1)

Simply put ... all cars (not just the first car in line) cannot increase speed if there is an approaching vehicle ... NO specified vehicles from either direction have priorty in law, and the appropriate traffic signals, or give way rules must be obeyed.

Sadly ... the first in first served rule, is not applied in traffic regulations.

Isn't learning to read fun ... :killingme

Usarka
14th February 2012, 18:55
If we get to nominate our own blitz,

I vote for fuckers that don't move to the side of the lane before they turn. WTF is so hard about moving over. Oh that's right the syphillis infected gonad munchers can't turn a 90 degree corner without taking the same line as an 18 wheeler.

rastuscat
14th February 2012, 19:04
Originally Posted by Land Transport Road User Rule 2004 4.5(1)

Simply put ... all cars (not just the first car in line) cannot increase speed if there is an approaching vehicle ... NO specified vehicles from either direction have priorty in law, and the appropriate traffic signals, or give way rules must be obeyed.

Sadly ... the first in first served rule, is not applied in traffic regulations.

Isn't learning to read fun ... :killingme

The thing is, the 'don't increase speed approaching an intersection', while it doesn't say so, relates to uncontrolled intersections. Like, you don't accelerate toward an uncontrolled intersection to beat someone else approaching the same intersection.

Anyway, just my musings, after a cheeky little Shiraz. Oooeerrrrr, sounds rude.

FJRider
14th February 2012, 19:10
... you don't accelerate toward an uncontrolled intersection to beat someone else approaching the same intersection.

So .... the first to the intersection can't give the other motorists the finger, as you turn in front of them .... ??? after making a small effort to be first ... :confused:

Scuba_Steve
14th February 2012, 19:17
The thing is, the 'don't increase speed approaching an intersection', while it doesn't say so, relates to uncontrolled intersections. Like, you don't accelerate toward an uncontrolled intersection to beat someone else approaching the same intersection.

Anyway, just my musings, after a cheeky little Shiraz. Oooeerrrrr, sounds rude.

If it don't say it, it don't restrict it to only that then does it. It's all about how it's written :D
Tho I do like the sound of making up exceptions... "while it doesn't say not running red lights doesn't count for bikes" That'll give me an excuse for those 3 sets of lights I occasionally have to run a red on as they're those stupid "intelligent" lights that don't sense bikes

FJRider
14th February 2012, 19:19
If it don't say it, it don't restrict it to only that then does it. It's all about how it's written :D
Tho I do like the sound of making up exceptions... "while it doesn't say not running red lights doesn't count for bikes" That'll give me an excuse for those 3 sets of lights I occasionally have to run a red on as they're those stupid "intelligent" lights that don't sense bikes

First make sure they dont have cameras ...

Usarka
14th February 2012, 19:21

Or a cop in plain clothes standing at the intersection. A sorted well trained dodgy geezer can spot a cop a mile away.

Scuba_Steve
14th February 2012, 19:29

Or a cop in plain clothes standing at the intersection. A sorted well trained dodgy geezer can spot a cop a mile away.

Na I'm right now, didn't you see? I made up my own exception :laugh:
Honestly could't really care less, if they want me to obey the rules they should make the lights so they don't discriminate against bikes.

Parlane
15th February 2012, 07:22
for those 3 sets of lights I occasionally have to run a red on as they're those stupid "intelligent" lights that don't sense bikes

In auckland there use to be a double lane right turn, where the sensors were only in the left lane. I found this out at 2am in the morning sitting in the right lane for 5 minutes :facepalm: Reversed, pulled in to the left, and 3 seconds later, green! I went back later in the day time, and you could clearly see no sensors were ever put in :| (filled in lines). It's been fixed since I believe.

Zedder
15th February 2012, 07:27
Nah P, that's just a cunning plan by the traffic Nazis to slow people down. Like the lights at the on ramps.

vifferman
21st February 2012, 19:44
In D'Auckland, it's quite obvious that there are a number of drivers who have decided when approaching the lights that they are going to go through. Amber or red, makes no difference - they're not stopping. It's the same at stop signs - except then almost everyone does the old 'rolling stop', treating it as a Give Way. A real Give Way doesn't even get a look in.
It's an attitude thing: people approach intersections prepared to go through them unless they really REALLY need to stop, rather than being prepared to stop.

scumdog
21st February 2012, 20:08
everyone does the old 'rolling stop', treating it as a Give Way. A real Give Way doesn't even get a look in.
It's an attitude thing: people approach intersections prepared to go through them unless they really REALLY need to stop, rather than being prepared to stop.

Sadly it's so, so true for just about all NZ...

rastuscat
21st February 2012, 20:20
Funny thing happened today. I walked out of the Popo station and headed for a nearby spot'n'stop checkpoint I had arranged. My troops were already there, but I'd forgotten my SMART device, so walked back to get it.

When I walked out onto Montreal St I saw a dude on a Harley looking down Montreal St toward a nearby motorcycle parking space. Maybe 50 metres down the road. Thing is, he had to go the wrong way down Montreal to get there. Which is exactly what he did as I watched. Dressed in uniform, including my glo-coat.

The fact that he looked to see if the park was full told me he was a local, as he obviously knew the park was there. I just walked up and asked for his licence, and told him he was getting a ticket for riding the wrong way down the street.

Well I never. I get a mouthful about how I as a revenue collecting bastard, and that he thought a warning would have sufficed.

SO, HE WANTS TO EXERCISE MY DISCRETION. BOLLOCKS, IT'S MY DISCRETION.

He provocatively asked me what else I was going to do him for. What? How about if you don't break the rules I don't write the ticket, ya knob. He got the one ticket, for what he had done.

Man, no wonder Popos get pissed off with bikers. And I are one.

rastuscat
21st February 2012, 20:23
Grrrrrrrrrrrr:brick::brick::brick::brick:

Edbear
21st February 2012, 20:33

"You have given out too much rep..." :brick:

FJRider
21st February 2012, 20:34

If he couldn't see a cop in a Glo-coat ... perhaps he needed to re-sit his eyesight test ....

pritch
21st February 2012, 21:10

Three words, three mistakes?

Considering the context, ironic? (No, not as per the Alanis Morissette lexicon...)

Gremlin
21st February 2012, 21:16
I'm shocked. I never knew we couldn't use your discretion... You bottle it and sell it or something? :oi-grr:

ducatilover
22nd February 2012, 00:38
If he couldn't see a cop in a Glo-coat ... perhaps he needed to re-sit his eyesight test ....
Fun fact: I have never passed an AA eye test. ;) Truly.

TimeOut
22nd February 2012, 06:21

My wife doesn't either but does pass the driving test at the optometrist, but she never drives without glasses as she can't read signs (or much else) until right on top of them, go figure

oneofsix
22nd February 2012, 06:27
My wife doesn't either but does pass the driving test at the optometrist, but she never drives without glasses as she can't read signs (or much else) until right on top of them, go figure

The first time I went to the optometrist she scared me by showing me the level of blindness that will still pass the driving requirements. Ok I only needed weak hobby glasses to magnify the written word, eyes even just not focusing low enough, but the driving requirements were like reading a road sign from the end of the room :wacko:
I guess there is a bit more than print size (hope so and the test centre machine suggests so) and hope it is about seeing objects but I still thought you would have require glasses before getting to that level.

Scuba_Steve
22nd February 2012, 07:43

I have. But I won't have to any more, I goto the doctor for that now :D

Jay GTI
22nd February 2012, 09:41
Well I never. I get a mouthful about how I as a revenue collecting bastard, and that he thought a warning would have sufficed.

Just out of interest, over the years you've been dishing out tickets, do you think the overall attitude towards you from the general public has changed?

You often vent your frustration on here of the continued bringing up of quotas and revenue collection when you're doing your job, but I am insterested in whether, from your point of view, this is more prevalent now than 5 or 10 years ago, or more.

Badjelly
22nd February 2012, 09:56
...Maybe 50 metres down the road. Thing is, he had to go the wrong way down Montreal to get there. Which is exactly what he did as I watched....

That reminds me. When I was a lad, my brother-in-law (I could see then he was a no-hoper; he's long gone) used to routinely reverse about 100 m down the one-way street he and my sister lived on to get to their house. He explained to me that this was OK, because though the car was moving the wrong way it was facing the right way. I was a bit dubious about this, but I've always wondered: is there any legal basis to it?

oneofsix
22nd February 2012, 11:10
That reminds me. When I was a lad, my brother-in-law (I could see then he was a no-hoper; he's long gone) used to routinely reverse about 100 m down the one-way street he and my sister lived on to get to their house. He explained to me that this was OK, because though the car was moving the wrong way it was facing the right way. I was a bit dubious about this, but I've always wondered: is there any legal basis to it?

Funny that as I remember being told if you wanted to back down the road you had to back with the traffic flow, the opposite of your ex-brother-in-law. Also told it was illegal to reverse out of driveways.
I can't see it being safe reversing into traffic, be safer driving the wrong way.

rastuscat
22nd February 2012, 17:45
Funny that as I remember being told if you wanted to back down the road you had to back with the traffic flow, the opposite of your ex-brother-in-law. Also told it was illegal to reverse out of driveways.
I can't see it being safe reversing into traffic, be safer driving the wrong way.

Yes. The signs say 'One Way', they don't say 'Cars Must Point Toward This Direction'.

When I was a little baby traffic Popo on my R80RT I found a dude driving the wrong way in Hobson Street, Orkers. Big wide one way street.

I said 'You're going the wrong way'

He said, 'You don't know where I'm going, how can you know I'm going the wrong way?'

I said 'No, no, this is a one way street'

He said 'It's okay, I'm only going one way'.

I recall him driving off with no ticket.:crazy:

scumdog
22nd February 2012, 22:24
Just out of interest, over the years you've been dishing out tickets, do you think the overall attitude towards you from the general public has changed?

You often vent your frustration on here of the continued bringing up of quotas and revenue collection when you're doing your job, but I am insterested in whether, from your point of view, this is more prevalent now than 5 or 10 years ago, or more.

Fifteen fuckin' years.

90% are fuckwits wot should not ever be on the road.

The other 10% wot THINK they should be on the road should never, ever be behind the wheel or handle-bars....

OK, I've had a Bourbon or two...

Scuba_Steve
24th February 2012, 12:14
RC you at some point mentioned when it came to traffic lights the law now said "yellow" instead of "amber" (I would search back & find it but I'm too lazy)
Just looking through the law (unrelated) I came across the fine for "Driver enters controlled area when yellow signal displayed" I assume this is what you were talking about???

Now here's the problem... I have yet to see a yellow traffic light. Amber yes, orange it can be passed as, but yellow :no: So really they've given you no legal way to issue tickets for this offence. Sure the system being corrupt as it is you'll still issue them, the judges will still side with the cops & things will still continue as usual until "one of the boys" or a "famous" person is up for it. But legally there's no leg to stand on, "yellow" & "amber" are 2 different colours... Why did they even change it??? amber was fine, do they plan on changing all the amber lights to yellow in the near future???

I'm not saying people should now go out & run amber lights cause there's no law surrounding them now, I'm questioning why the retards in charge have screwed up a perfectly fine law & for what???
I'm not expecting anyone to know the answer, more just a rant about how NZ's ultimate retards have screwed decent piece of law into becoming useless (legally speaking).

rastuscat
24th February 2012, 14:00
RC you at some point mentioned when it came to traffic lights the law now said "yellow" instead of "amber" (I would search back & find it but I'm too lazy)
Just looking through the law (unrelated) I came across the fine for "Driver enters controlled area when yellow signal displayed" I assume this is what you were talking about???

Now here's the problem... I have yet to see a yellow traffic light. Amber yes, orange it can be passed as, but yellow :no: So really they've given you no legal way to issue tickets for this offence. Sure the system being corrupt as it is you'll still issue them, the judges will still side with the cops & things will still continue as usual until "one of the boys" or a "famous" person is up for it. But legally there's no leg to stand on, "yellow" & "amber" are 2 different colours... Why did they even change it??? amber was fine, do they plan on changing all the amber lights to yellow in the near future???

I'm not saying people should now go out & run amber lights cause there's no law surrounding them now, I'm questioning why the retards in charge have screwed up a perfectly fine law & for what???
I'm not expecting anyone to know the answer, more just a rant about how NZ's ultimate retards have screwed decent piece of law into becoming useless (legally speaking).

Yeah, the one at the top is red, the one at the bottom is yellow, and as far as I'm concerned, the one in the middle is orange. Yellow? Not in this town.

I have had fun at times, when I see someone run a red, I stop them and they say it was orange. I say "Yeah, the dark orange one at the top of the tree".

Like your rant tho, I totally agree. Can't see why they were orange, then amber, then yellow. Amber is the colour reserved for mid-strength beer.

24th February 2012, 14:31
Yeah, the one at the top is red, the one at the bottom is yellow, and as far as I'm concerned, the one in the middle is orange. Yellow? Not in this town.

I have had fun at times, when I see someone run a red, I stop them and they say it was orange. I say "Yeah, the dark orange one at the top of the tree".

Like your rant tho, I totally agree. Can't see why they were orange, then amber, then yellow. Amber is the colour reserved for mid-strength beer.

Would "Sorry officer, I am colour-blind" excuse work? :innocent:

baffa
24th February 2012, 15:16
RC and Scummy, what would your take be on a bike treating a red light like a stop light when there is no visible traffic?
Reason I ask, is I have found some traffic lights dont sense bikes, so you sit through several phases waiting for your turn, hoping that a car will drive up behind you, until you eventually say fuq it, I'm just going to go.
I appreciate your southern hospitality might differ to the local police in Auckland, but if you saw someone doing this, what would you do? Ticket them for not sitting there for an hour or two until a car drives past?

rastuscat
24th February 2012, 15:22
RC and Scummy, what would your take be on a bike treating a red light like a stop light when there is no visible traffic?
Reason I ask, is I have found some traffic lights dont sense bikes, so you sit through several phases waiting for your turn, hoping that a car will drive up behind you, until you eventually say fuq it, I'm just going to go.
I appreciate your southern hospitality might differ to the local police in Auckland, but if you saw someone doing this, what would you do? Ticket them for not sitting there for an hour or two until a car drives past?

If it happens, put your bike on the side stand, and go press the pedestrian button that goes in your direction. I can amlmost guarantee that, Murphys Law being what it is, as soon as you put the stand down and step off the bike the lights will change. If not, they'll change after you press the button.

Some Popos are more sympathetic than others. That's life. I wouldn't tag you for it, but a lot would. It's almost inevitable that you sat there foir 7 minutes, but you go through about 3 seconds after the cop turns up and catches you.

Just my end-of-shift musings.

Parlane
24th February 2012, 15:28

There's a wee little law somewhere that says that if the traffic lights are not working, then giveway rules apply. So if it's not detecting you, then it is not working. Hence give way rules! Obviously you would have to stick around foir atleast a couple of minutes before you can declare it to be malfunctioning!

rastuscat
24th February 2012, 15:36
Not sure how I feel about being called RC. I'm not normally arsey until quite late on a late shift.

Scuba_Steve
24th February 2012, 15:45
Not sure how I feel about being called RC. I'm not normally arsey until quite late on a late shift.

What's wrong with RC??? just outta interest. everyone likes their abbreviations less typing that way

baffa
24th February 2012, 16:18
What's wrong with RC??? just outta interest. everyone likes their abbreviations less typing that way

You only say that because you wish you could have been part of the secret police :shifty: