PDA

View Full Version : Sooo, gots me a new bike at last

nzspokes
13th February 2012, 20:37
After much lookin and starting a few (hundred) threads me new bike turned up today. :niceone:

Its a little Kawasaki GPZ400r. 89 with 49000ks. Got it for next to nothing. Needs a little cosmetic work but nothing a mate cant fix.

Took it for a skid tonight. It would be fair to say its pretty fast(in my experience anyway). I love it.

Only issue I have found it has no front park lights. Looks like the indicators were changed and they may have been the park lights. Can find wires going to the indicators but no wiring in the indicators. And no park light in the headlight. Any ideas for a fix? Had thought to wire the headlight permanently on.

Anywho here it is.

mossy1200
13th February 2012, 20:45
Nice score a mate of mine had one of these and it was a great midsize bike.As for park light i dont remember him having one.

I tryed getting my hands on 2 bandits on tardme last night for prolite racers and missed both of them LOL.

nzspokes
13th February 2012, 20:54
Nice score a mate of mine had one of these and it was a great midsize bike.As for park light i dont remember him having one.

I tryed getting my hands on 2 bandits on tardme last night for prolite racers and missed both of them LOL.

I think I will ask a warrant officer tomorrow.

I was real fast to buy it. He told me he had heaps of interest.

Tigadee
13th February 2012, 20:57
:wings: Woo hoo!

blackdog
13th February 2012, 20:57

You might wanna check the rulebook, aren't prolites twins?

jaffaonajappa
13th February 2012, 21:01
I think I will ask a warrant officer tomorrow.

Keep an eye on your wallet then :P

And...I have to ask. "Why" would you want park lights? These are something that only tourers and BM's have I thought....and no good on old bikes with borderline battery charging capabilities.?

mossy1200
13th February 2012, 21:09
You might wanna check the rulebook, aren't prolites twins?

im not to good remembering stuff.Wanna race inline4 250 class under $500 budget.So many little bikes going round at the same time i get confused what they call them now.

nzspokes
13th February 2012, 21:12
Keep an eye on your wallet then :P

And...I have to ask. "Why" would you want park lights? These are something that only tourers and BM's have I thought....and no good on old bikes with borderline battery charging capabilities.?

Being a bit older and the light does not come on with the ignition I believe it needs one? It has a switch position for it.

Matt_TG
13th February 2012, 21:19
I had a GPZ750R and the park light was a low wattage yellow bulb in the main headlight. I never used it, all you need to do is to turn your headlight on before you head out on the road. I don't believe the "always on" regulations mean that it has to be hard wired on. I stand to be corrected though :)

nzspokes
13th February 2012, 21:22
I had a GPZ750R and the park light was a low wattage yellow bulb in the main headlight. I never used it, all you need to do is to turn your headlight on before you head out on the road. I don't believe the "always on" regulations mean that it has to be hard wired on. I stand to be corrected though :)

What year was it mate? And where was the access to it on the light?

Matt_TG
14th February 2012, 14:08
My GPZ was an 84... I never had the bulb out sorry so couldn't tell you how to get to it. You can see the yellow bulb in the attached pic if you look hard enough!

sugilite
14th February 2012, 14:36
I'm "quite" sure my 89 ZXR750's do not have park lights, nor a switch to run them.

nzspokes
14th February 2012, 14:38
I'm "quite" sure my 89 ZXR750's do not have park lights, nor a switch to run them.

Ive found out its not a wof item so i now dont care about it.

Just ride it lots. :eek:

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 14:57
Fuckin' cool dude! My first bike was an '86 400R.
Might have a fairly unused headlight (not the bulb :bleh:) for it still, I'll have a scavenge around :niceone:

I'm not sure if mine had a park light or if the indicators ran as running lamps (like the ZZR400 and 600)

I'd love to find a nice GPZ600R

sugilite
14th February 2012, 14:58
Sorted then.
Nice bike BTW :yes:

Zedder
14th February 2012, 15:07
A very tidy machine by the look of it, good score.

dangerous
14th February 2012, 16:36
After much lookin and starting a few (hundred) threads me new bike turned up today. :niceone:
Took it for a skid tonight. It would be fair to say its pretty fast(in my experience anyway). I love it.
fark me... this is a change, usually the threads are titeled "shoud I go from a 250-1000"
Awesome man, resepct taking it easy and learning as you go (in no great rush) interesting that you say "its pretty fast" enjoy :niceone:

Grant`
14th February 2012, 16:44
Nice work Rob, looks like it will see you right for a while :Punk:

nzspokes
14th February 2012, 16:52
fark me... this is a change, usually the threads are titeled "shoud I go from a 250-1000"
Awesome man, resepct taking it easy and learning as you go (in no great rush) interesting that you say "its pretty fast" enjoy :niceone:

Well I realize that speed is relative. My 250 stopped at 140kph and took a long time to get there. The GPZ is just a twist of the throttle. A litre bike would get there a lot faster again. Its speed doesnt intimidate me though. Just feels fun.

What I need to get used to is the position as im used to wide bars. Slow speed will be interesting.

Only other little issue I have found is that somebody has fitted a MT66 Route tyre to the rear, a cruiser tyre.:facepalm: Not sure if this is a bad thing but will probably swap it out later on.

Tigadee
14th February 2012, 17:03
Slow speed will be interesting.

Yeah, I'd imagine from here on it's less of getting used to the faster speed and acceleration, and more of re-learning how to control a bike/this bike at low speed! :laugh:

dangerous
14th February 2012, 17:50
Only other little issue I have found is that somebody has fitted a MT66 Route tyre to the rear, a cruiser tyre.:facepalm: Not sure if this is a bad thing but will probably swap it out later on.A decent quality tyre, a good touring tyre how ever Id check on the actual size of it and compaire to what you have, it might be to tall for your bike.

nzspokes
14th February 2012, 17:53
A decent quality tyre, a good touring tyre how ever Id check on the actual size of it and compaire to what you have, it might be to tall for your bike.

Its the right size for the bike according to the tyre. Will use it for a bit, just not sure I want to hit twistys with it.

mossy1200
14th February 2012, 17:57
Its the right size for the bike according to the tyre. Will use it for a bit, just not sure I want to hit twistys with it.

warm it up and dont go to hard.If it looks grey in colour after a ride through twisties reduce the air pressure in it a bit and if it turns blue add some it should run silky black with the correct pressure inside.

nzspokes
14th February 2012, 21:16
Capitan obvious questions start now.

How do I check the oil level on it? Through the lines buy the window? Should it be running to check the level?

Where is the oil filter?

blackdog
14th February 2012, 21:37
Capitan obvious questions start now.

How do I check the oil level on it? Through the lines buy the window? Should it be running to check the level?

Where is the oil filter?

Yes. Check the oil level through the sight glass while the bike is vertical. It should not be running.

nzspokes
14th February 2012, 21:40
Yes. Check the oil level through the sight glass while the bike is vertical. It should not be running.

Thats what I thought. I think its been way over filled. Its right when on the side stand.

blackdog
14th February 2012, 21:52
Thats what I thought. I think its been way over filled. Its right when on the side stand.

Not a good look. On the plus side when you drain off what you dont need you will get a good idea of the quality of whats left in there. Check for swarf.

nzspokes
14th February 2012, 21:58
Not a good look. On the plus side when you drain off what you dont need you will get a good idea of the quality of whats left in there. Check for swarf.

I will give it a change over the weekend. I just looked up online and when over fill they spit excess oil out the breather which mine is doing. Common mistake apparently.

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 22:00
Oil filter is in the sump, same as EX-250, ZX600C/GPZ600R and about fifty million other Kawasakis.
Your oil level is too high.
Put Sport Demons on it.
Is your front anti-dive system working? Always thought it was a cool touch.

nzspokes
14th February 2012, 22:06
Oil filter is in the sump, same as EX-250, ZX600C/GPZ600R and about fifty million other Kawasakis.
Your oil level is too high.
Put Sport Demons on it.
Is your front anti-dive system working? Always thought it was a cool touch.

So I dont need to drop the fairings to oil change then. :eek:

Yup, will sort that. Funny thing is my CBX uses the same filter as the GPZ. And I have a spare.

Its got a sport demon on the front which is worn kinda clamshell ish. But stacks of tread.

Not sure on the anti dive, its the last version so an electronic one. It has 4 settings which i will mess with.

ducatilover
14th February 2012, 22:12
So I dont need to drop the fairings to oil change then. :eek:

Yup, will sort that. Funny thing is my CBX uses the same filter as the GPZ. And I have a spare.

Its got a sport demon on the front which is worn kinda clamshell ish. But stacks of tread.

Not sure on the anti dive, its the last version so an electronic one. It has 4 settings which i will mess with.
I can't remember (been a year or two since I blew my one up) if the belly pan has to come of or not.
Good score on the filter! I think the CBX is the same filter as a TRX3/4/500/VTR250 too?

Has it got the 16 in wheels?

nzspokes
14th February 2012, 22:17
I can't remember (been a year or two since I blew my one up) if the belly pan has to come of or not.
Good score on the filter! I think the CBX is the same filter as a TRX3/4/500/VTR250 too?

Has it got the 16 in wheels?

Yup 16s.

I will look under her tomorrow.

Want to get either longer mirrors or those little stick on round jobs. Cant see past my arms...

nzspokes
16th February 2012, 12:01
Well she just got a WOF no worries:wings:

Tigadee
16th February 2012, 12:16
That's one thing out of the way... :)

neels
16th February 2012, 13:50
Nice looking bike, and should be a good step up from the 250. :2thumbsup

Want to get either longer mirrors or those little stick on round jobs. Cant see past my arms...
Farily normal for most sports type bikes, you get used to cranking your arm out of the way when you look at the mirror after a while.