PDA

View Full Version : HELP: IOM accommodation & transport?

R6_kid
13th February 2012, 23:34
Just had some pretty average news, plans I had in place for IOM (sharing Camper with a friend) have sort of fallen through for this year. While my plans aren't fully booked, the girlfriend and I are still pretty keen on going, even if only for a couple of days rather than all of race week.

As it is I can still get flights to/from for a decent price, but have no idea where to start looking for accommodation, any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Even if anyone has contacts on the island that can put us up with a bed/couch for a few nights, maybe even a tent in the backyard, it's better than what we've got.

Also I haven't had any luck finding info about getting around on the island once we're there. Do they run buses out to certain point on the track each day or are we on our own in that respect.

Brian d marge
14th February 2012, 02:20
The end of Douglas prom, there is a little park, nice and dry , wash in the toilets by the ferry terminal ..and the cleaner will bring you a cup of tea... ( ok i made that up about the cleaner , he will wake you up though )

Failing that there are tents available to rent , but good luck in getting a b and b

Stephen

Bikemad
14th February 2012, 08:31
i was there 2007...........stayed up late one night on the laptop going through homestay contacts via the IOM website and eventually,after a couple of calls and a very kind lady on the island who made some local calls to friends of hers on my behalf,managed to find a place to stay in Douglas just off victoria ave 1 minute walk to the supermarket,5 minute walk to the grandstand start finish line,15 minute walk to the prom for 50 pounds a night.Sounded a bit expensive at the time but as it was the 100 year anniversary and everything was pretty much booked already i jumped on it.
The bus sevice is pretty good on the island but you would have to get up pretty early to get somewhere else on the island as the roads are closed quite early for practice.Have a crack at the website and if you have no luck let me know and i will see if i can dig out the phone # where i stayed.

ellipsis
14th February 2012, 09:27
....wow..things definitely change big time ...I used to jump on the ferry out of Heysham with a kids pup tent and throw it somewhere near the pits...there was always a room in Douglas if you needed a decent sleep(a mattress) and hot water and toast and marmalade for breakfast, a room, usually a share with a stranger, was about a quid or a quid and a half....then again the riders had not cracked the 120mph laps by then, so we are going back a bit...

R6_kid
14th February 2012, 10:12
Cheers for the replies people. Will do a proper look when I'm not out in the desert and see what I can come up with, otherwise will be in touch.

If it turns out that its looking a bit hard then we might substitute IOM with MotoGP in Catalunya... not quite the same but will still be an awesome introduction to bike racing for the girlfriend. Looking like there are plans afoot to go next year instead and being a bit more prepared.

rachprice
14th February 2012, 10:42
Cheers for the replies people. Will do a proper look when I'm not out in the desert and see what I can come up with, otherwise will be in touch.

If it turns out that its looking a bit hard then we might substitute IOM with MotoGP in Catalunya... not quite the same but will still be an awesome introduction to bike racing for the girlfriend. Looking like there are plans afoot to go next year instead and being a bit more prepared.

SPANISH GP! I can definitely recommend!

NONONO
14th February 2012, 17:05
Bray Hill campsite...oops, to long ago, sorry.
Was some common ground up that way last time I was there, but that was 83

R6_kid
14th February 2012, 18:26
Looks like we can rent a van on the island with just enough room for the two of us to sleep in for 550pounds for the week, and if the website is correct there looks to be some campsites with showers etc still available for around the 120pound mark. Airfares are roughly 200pounds return each from the mainland. So all up it's about $750aud each for the whole week and we shoudn't have any transportation issues.

I was actually pretty keen to change plans to go to the Spanish GP but my girlfriend has surprised me with how keen she is to see the TT so I'd better make it happen, I think she just wants a piece of Guy Martin if I'm totally honest but either way it seems as though TT3D has done the trick on her!

Brett
17th February 2012, 12:17

Yeah...the wife and I are thinking about either the MotoGP at Phillip island, Malaysia, or one of the Italian tracks this year. You have been previously haven't you G? Would you say get the basic tickets or go the whole hog and get the premium tickets?

IOM...shit that would be cool. Take yourself a tent mate, or hire a van to sleep in if fixed accomodation is all taken.

R6_kid
27th February 2012, 21:34
Yeah...the wife and I are thinking about either the MotoGP at Phillip island, Malaysia, or one of the Italian tracks this year. You have been previously haven't you G? Would you say get the basic tickets or go the whole hog and get the premium tickets?

IOM...shit that would be cool. Take yourself a tent mate, or hire a van to sleep in if fixed accomodation is all taken.

Tell you what mate, take two weeks off and do both PI and Malaysia GP's - they usually occur back to back. Accommodation in Malaysia is dirt cheap (I think we paid $200aud for two nights in a serviced apartment in central KL), and the extra cost to get there from Melbourne wouldn't be much more, have some time off on a tropical island in between, just don't book your flight to leave 6hrs after the GP finishes and expect to get back from Sepang to your hotel room and then back to the airport in that time! Get the basic tickets mate, you might be able to buy pit walk passes separately, if you can thats the way to go. The hospitality you get for your money is over-rated unless its pissing with rain and you think ~$300/day for a roof over your head is value for money. If you wanna save coin then skip the Friday practice. Sepang was pretty empty on the Saturday but we had to leave a person to keep out seats on race day. PI is generally busy, but Sunday is mental compared to the other days.

I've managed to lock down a pre-built tent w/ sleeping bags etc, flights and a rental car for IOM for around $500-600aud each for myself and the girlfriend for the week - considering I spent over $1000 each for WSBK and MotoGP at PI I reckon it's a bloody good deal. Just waiting for the boss to ok the leave so I can pay for everything.

Brett
28th February 2012, 08:22
Tell you what mate, take two weeks off and do both PI and Malaysia GP's - they usually occur back to back. Accommodation in Malaysia is dirt cheap (I think we paid $200aud for two nights in a serviced apartment in central KL), and the extra cost to get there from Melbourne wouldn't be much more, have some time off on a tropical island in between, just don't book your flight to leave 6hrs after the GP finishes and expect to get back from Sepang to your hotel room and then back to the airport in that time! Get the basic tickets mate, you might be able to buy pit walk passes separately, if you can thats the way to go. The hospitality you get for your money is over-rated unless its pissing with rain and you think ~$300/day for a roof over your head is value for money. If you wanna save coin then skip the Friday practice. Sepang was pretty empty on the Saturday but we had to leave a person to keep out seats on race day. PI is generally busy, but Sunday is mental compared to the other days.

I've managed to lock down a pre-built tent w/ sleeping bags etc, flights and a rental car for IOM for around $500-600aud each for myself and the girlfriend for the week - considering I spent over $1000 each for WSBK and MotoGP at PI I reckon it's a bloody good deal. Just waiting for the boss to ok the leave so I can pay for everything.

Sweet advice. No decisions made yet. 2 weeks off for me is pretty easy, but for the Mrs it might be a bit harder. Will have to wait and see at this stage...

Saving coin isn't too much of the goal, I really want to experience as much of the motogp scene as possible, but if what you're saying is that you get bugger all extra for premium tickets, then happy to write them off. Need to make friends with a sponsor or something....

My only thought with PI is that the weather is so often shitty. If I can swing it, I would really like to go to one of the Euro races... Mugello, Valencia, Jerez (running out of time for this one though...), Assen etc. Will have to wait and see. Work is too up in the air at the moment to be able to make a firm decision. Frustrating.

R6_kid
28th February 2012, 11:59
If you want to do Europe then pool together the IOM, BSB, MotoGP, WSBK and the Europen racing classes too. You'll find that you can fit a lot into a short time frame when you're over there if you time it right.

rachprice
28th February 2012, 14:16
Sweet advice. No decisions made yet. 2 weeks off for me is pretty easy, but for the Mrs it might be a bit harder. Will have to wait and see at this stage...

Saving coin isn't too much of the goal, I really want to experience as much of the motogp scene as possible, but if what you're saying is that you get bugger all extra for premium tickets, then happy to write them off. Need to make friends with a sponsor or something....

My only thought with PI is that the weather is so often shitty. If I can swing it, I would really like to go to one of the Euro races... Mugello, Valencia, Jerez (running out of time for this one though...), Assen etc. Will have to wait and see. Work is too up in the air at the moment to be able to make a firm decision. Frustrating.

Valencia is pretty bangin!

Would love to go to Mugello though!

kinger
28th February 2012, 19:20
A pitch at Douglas RFC is cheap as, and has excellent views, next to the quarterbridge pub, on the track.
Go in practice week, great action, more room, can get served at night.

Big Dave
28th February 2012, 21:47
Aus has been good to you then G-man.

Not so long ago it was washing bikes.

steve74
28th February 2012, 21:47
I was actually pretty keen to change plans to go to the Spanish GP but my girlfriend has surprised me with how keen she is to see the TT so I'd better make it happen, I think she just wants a piece of Guy Martin if I'm totally honest but either way it seems as though TT3D has done the trick on her!

HAHA - Fantastic, Same thing happened to me, we were planning a 3 months tour of UK and Europe following the motogp circuits, then i took the wife to see TT3D and She's now dragging ME to the isle of man in june.

Im not complaining.