PDA

View Full Version : Bikers B & B

Jackal
14th February 2012, 13:03
We have a couple of spare rooms at home that we are considering using as a B & B. We like meeting new people as long as we have something in common to chat about. So we are thinking along the lines of a biker friendly B & B. Rooms will be pretty basic, but nice, with own toilet and bathroom. There is secure lock-up parking for the bikes (alongside ours). So before we get carried away I thought I better find out if this sort of thing would work. Where do bikers stay when they are on a trip. Mates/family? Motel? Camping Ground? B & B? Police cells? We are out at Lake Hood, 8ks off S.H.1, Ashburton, is that too far off the main drag for people to get to? (We have a restaurant/bar out here) For those of you that do or have used B & Bs what sort of money do you pay and do I have to learn to cook an egg for brekky or are people happy with a couple of weetbix and a coffee?

I would appreciate any feedback...............cheers

Gremlin
14th February 2012, 13:11
I use BBH a lot when figuring out where to stay, or basic backpackers. For me, it's mostly about a bed, shower and security for the bike. I don't need TV, shared bathroom is fine and so on.

Cheap but decent quality can run you around $30-40 a night pp, gets more expensive if you're by yourself, then it can be $50-80. All options have linen provided, or I pay the extra to get it (usually about $5). If there's a lot of options in the area (I normally choose based on location first, price a close second) then it comes down to services right near by in close walking distance. Some places will throw in breakfast, usually continental (a few cereal options, toast, jams), which is fine by me.

For me, I don't really like camping, plus carrying the extra gear, and being in IT, I need power, wireless internet (but carry my own), so don't bother with camping.

Grubber
14th February 2012, 14:30
YOU LIVE AT LAKE HOOD????
Ya jammy bastard. What a serene place to live. Been there water skiing a couple of times with my bro that lives down that way and often thought i would love to move back down and live out there.
Yea go the B&B i say. Couldn't think of a better place to doss down. Quiet walk around the lake in the evening, very relaxing!:niceone::Punk:

Paul in NZ
14th February 2012, 14:38
The biggest problen you will have is all dem smelly bikers turning up!

BigAl
14th February 2012, 16:03
Earthquake free area?

A B&B with secure bike lockup, nearby food & drink in a quiet out of town location sounds ideal.

I can't be bothered carrying tents or even sleeping bag and usually use motels/B&Bs.

A lot of guests wouldn't be put off with a continental breaky, (cereal, tea & toast), esp if it is good value.

Only way to know is to give it a go.:niceone:

baffa
14th February 2012, 16:47
That sounds almost too cheap Gremlin. For good facilities I wouldnt be surprised at double that.

Personally I'd be keen for biker BnBs, I have used regular BNBs in the past, but never for biking. Secure parking is a must, everything else is a luxury, but most people will expect tidy self contained units, spesh if the lady is coming along.

tigertim20
14th February 2012, 16:52
We have a couple of spare rooms at home that we are considering using as a B & B. We like meeting new people as long as we have something in common to chat about. So we are thinking along the lines of a biker friendly B & B. Rooms will be pretty basic, but nice, with own toilet and bathroom. There is secure lock-up parking for the bikes (alongside ours). So before we get carried away I thought I better find out if this sort of thing would work. Where do bikers stay when they are on a trip. Mates/family? Motel? Camping Ground? B & B? Police cells? We are out at Lake Hood, 8ks off S.H.1, Ashburton, is that too far off the main drag for people to get to? (We have a restaurant/bar out here) For those of you that do or have used B & Bs what sort of money do you pay and do I have to learn to cook an egg for brekky or are people happy with a couple of weetbix and a coffee?

I would appreciate any feedback...............cheers

too far off the main drag? - getting off the moan drag is kinda the point of being a biker!

I think it sounds like a great idea, and im sure if you started a facebook page, and reminded people on here about yourself every now and then, you would have a steady stream of people popping in and out

Gremlin
14th February 2012, 17:54
That sounds almost too cheap Gremlin. For good facilities I wouldnt be surprised at double that.
Hah, just completed a booking run yesterday, 9 nights of accommodation for a mate and I, while we are down south. Got some singles, as Toto snores (he claims he doesn't now - but on previous trips it was like a freight train), the rest is twin share.

One of the best rates was Hanmer Backpackers. Twin share, in town, linen and we can put the bikes behind the room, $58 for both of us. No food provided. Hanmer definitely has expensive options... goes over $100 a room a night quickly, and usually $150-$200 (twin, for the room). Expensive is probably Chch, we're doing a backpackers with singles around $60 a night.

Anyway, gave all those details for OP, as I do a bit of travel and I'm used to prices and standards etc. I'm sure you could find cheaper, but you occasionally find a shocker you won't go back to.

Grant`
14th February 2012, 19:14
Hah, just completed a booking run yesterday, 9 nights of accommodation for a mate and I, while we are down south. Got some singles, as Toto snores (he claims he doesn't now - but on previous trips it was like a freight train), the rest is twin share.

One of the best rates was Hanmer Backpackers. Twin share, in town, linen and we can put the bikes behind the room, $58 for both of us. No food provided. Hanmer definitely has expensive options... goes over $100 a room a night quickly, and usually $150-$200 (twin, for the room). Expensive is probably Chch, we're doing a backpackers with singles around $60 a night.

Anyway, gave all those details for OP, as I do a bit of travel and I'm used to prices and standards etc. I'm sure you could find cheaper, but you occasionally find a shocker you won't go back to.

Where was my invite! :no:

But anyway, would be great to have a biker BNB but i guess you also have to expect non bikers that are looking for something to book into wanting to stay there as well....

Gremlin
14th February 2012, 20:43
Where was my invite! :no:
Registrations have closed for this year, but check out www.tt2000.org

Jantar
14th February 2012, 20:55
I'm another fan of backpackers when I'm travelling. I tend to use the BBH backpackers and depending on the time of day I'm arriving I normally try for the smaller rooms (ie not dorms). I quite like the "Share" size which is up to 4 beds to a room if its just roll in sleep and on the move again. Often I find that I'm the only one in that size room so its like a single. Most travellers appear to want cheap (Dorms) or a private room (single, twin, double) so the Share at mid price is often the last taken.

For more time at one location I'll try for a single. The "Share" is normally around $25 - $30 per night and a single around $40 - $60 per night.

For breaksfast all I look for is coffee. Then I'll get brunch on the road.

Jackal
16th February 2012, 19:46
Thanks for all your comments. I think we are going to give this a nudge. If anyone wants to be a guinea pig so we can practice on you, PM me. Until we get going and start advertizing and buying extra stuff we will charge $40pp a night (cash). That gives you the use of a queen size bed, continental brekkie, your own toilet and shower/bath room, secure locked garage for the bikes, and you are most welcome to watch the footy with me on our 60" TV. There is always a beer/wine in the fridge. There is a very good restaurant 5 minutes walk from home, The Lake House Restaurant, check it out on the web. If you stay with us you can catch a fish from our jetty at the bottom of the lawn, go for a row in the dingy and if I've got the boat in the water I'll take you out for a ski. If you have not been down to Lake Hood check that out on the web as well. It has a good website.

Thanks again, might see you soon......................(he says hopefully) :niceone:

pritch
17th February 2012, 09:21
On my first "modern" SI trip I used cabins at camp grounds, mostly "Top 10". On your own though it isn't *that* much cheaper than a motel.

Since that I've decided that a sleeping bag takes up too much of the limited space, and prefer to use motels/hotels.

Have never considered B&B but could, especially if there was a bike connection.

baffa
17th February 2012, 10:04
Jackal: You may want to include a bond as well.
I'm sure all the Kiwibikers are good upstanding members of society :laugh: but if you have randoms staying at the house, and you know nothing but perhaps their first names, and they damage your property, you wont have much comeback, especially if you are starting up under the table.

Also keep in mind your Insurance will need to know if you start up a bnb

Gremlin
17th February 2012, 10:10
I'm sure all the Kiwibikers are good upstanding members of society :laugh: but if you have randoms staying at the house, and you know nothing but perhaps their first names, and they damage your property, you wont have much comeback, especially if you are starting up under the table.
Never had a bond before, but good advice. Most take a credit card to hold the booking. If you don't pitch and don't do anything re the cancellation policy, the credit card is charged for the amount...

Jackal
17th February 2012, 21:32
Jackal: You may want to include a bond as well.

Also keep in mind your Insurance will need to know if you start up a bnb

If there is any damage they might have trouble getting their bikes out of the shed:2guns: But yes, a good point. Might have a yarn with our insurance company. Cheers