PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Yamaha wr450f as an adventure bike?

Dave h
16th February 2012, 16:41
It's only a few weeks untill the new road legal wr450 is here..

My searches of the interweb tells me it's lighter than my wr250 :confused:

Is anyone pondering using one of these as ADV bike?

Phreaky Phil
16th February 2012, 17:19
It's only a few weeks untill the new road legal wr450 is here..

My searches of the interweb tells me it's lighter than my wr250 :confused:

Is anyone pondering using one of these as ADV bike?I had a WR400 as an Adventure bike in the day. Great off road. Uncomfortable on road and to higher maintenance for covering big miles. Now if they built a WR450R like the WR250 R :yes:

Padmei
16th February 2012, 17:37
Yeah but are we talking adv riding or trail riding. I'd say that in many parts of the world our adv rides would be classed as trail rides. I wouldn't class my DRZ as an adv bike - just a trail bike with a bigass tank.
Prob gonna be a very good bike but jeez - a ride down to the Dusty Butt would root ya I reckon

Crim
16th February 2012, 18:39
I went into Trevor Pierce to have a look at one (not in till April / May they reckon) after looking at the interweb on a write up, road legal, real light - think you can probably get a bigger tank and upgrade seat already but I think the servicing / maintenance might be a pain in the :shake: - I think the Super 10 for the highway miles adv stuff and the 450 for gnarly adv stuff :woohoo: - first part of getting this plan past 'er indoors would be to buy a lotto ticket, I reckon:facepalm:

or I could stick with the KLR ................................

NordieBoy
16th February 2012, 18:53
I went into Trevor Pierce to have a look at one (not in till April / May they reckon) after looking at the interweb on a write up, road legal, real light - think you can probably get a bigger tank and upgrade seat already but I think the servicing / maintenance might be a pain in the :shake: - I think the Super 10 for the highway miles adv stuff and the 450 for gnarly adv stuff :woohoo: - first part of getting this plan past 'er indoors would be to buy a lotto ticket, I reckon:facepalm:

or I could stick with the KLR ................................

That's why some of the more discerning KBers have 2 bikes...

Crisis management
16th February 2012, 19:00
a ride down to the Dusty Butt would root ya I reckon

Dunno Padders, my mate Roger (Rogson on here) rode his too the DB and most of the way around (mechanicaled on sunday) so they aren't all bad. Light and very rideable in most conditions, worth noting that the most popular bike I saw on the DB was around 450cc (wish I had been riding one on the challenge sections).

PM Rogson if you want an honest assesment.

Phreaky Phil
16th February 2012, 19:13
When you only have a little bike you end up trailering it places because you cant be bothered slogging big miles on it or dont want to wear it out. When you only have a big bike you tend to shy away from gnarly places and tailor your riding to the bike. With a 650 you end up riding it to the gnarley places and have a go !
There is NO perfect bike ! YET !!

Night Falcon
16th February 2012, 19:35
When you only have a little bike you end up trailering it places because you cant be bothered slogging big miles on it or dont want to wear it out. When you only have a big bike you tend to shy away from gnarly places and tailor your riding to the bike. With a 650 you end up riding it to the gnarley places and have a go !

what he said :corn:

fridayflash
16th February 2012, 21:05
ive often thought id like a wr450 as an adv bike, ive seen them with big tanks and
seat modded etc, great power and handleing, with a bit of xtra seat foam
and a small air dam/screen surely theyd be ok on the road

only real question would be what sorta engine hours between rebuilds
surely no different to a ktm 450 or 530?

dino3310
16th February 2012, 21:21

i found my perfect bike, its just out of my price range
Carmen3310 has a certian ring to it
:laugh:

Crim
27th April 2012, 18:17
was passing Trevor Pierce today and saw one in the window - they are offering a blat on it at an open day coming up if you are interested bang on down and put your name down (think they already have had one, very popular so going for number two)

Dave h
5th May 2012, 18:16
Someones bought one here, I was going into town on tuesday i think and saw one heading towards the Hutt.

Looked very new and shiney :)

dino3310
5th May 2012, 22:47
The write up in kiwirider was good all though was more offroad orientated, i like the rider tuning thingamejig that would be good for adjusting on rides between gravel and offroad sections