PDA

View Full Version : Clutch "bumps" in first gear (Virago XV250)

aum108
20th February 2012, 13:54
Hi all,

On my 2004 XV250 Virago, the clutch 'bumps' (and sometimes gives a dull slightly metallic sound) when I'm letting it out in 1st gear. But only when taking off from standing, never when downshifting from 2nd.

No matter how slowly or gently I release the clutch, I still get that 'bump' feeling. I don't like letting the clutch out too slowly because I'm told that can hasten the wear.

No problems at all in 2nd through 5th. Just in 1st, when taking off from stationary.

Even with standard factory sprockets, before I changed the sprockets for taller gearing, the bump was there.

Any ideas?

Cheers
David

ducatilover
20th February 2012, 13:57
Check the chain and cush drive.

FJRider
20th February 2012, 14:06
Is it hydraulic or cable ??

MSTRS
20th February 2012, 14:29
'Dull, metallic sound...'
Gear lash?

Tigadee
20th February 2012, 14:33
How many kms has your bike done?

bsasuper
20th February 2012, 15:07
Try a different brand oil.I was having clutch problems, but the clutch was grabbing sometimes, changed to mobil 1 and the problem went away.

aum108
20th February 2012, 18:58
Is it hydraulic or cable ??

Cable

How many kms has your bike done?

Try a different brand oil.I was having clutch problems, but the clutch was grabbing sometimes, changed to mobil 1 and the problem went away.

Currently using Castrol 10W40 semi-synth. But I've had other oils and the problem has still been there.

Subike
20th February 2012, 19:12
Interesting reply's on your problem
Remember your bike is at the lower end of the market
and thus some of the tolerances in the manufacturing show up in strange places.
Having the Keeway copy of you bike, I get this as well, and Im only at 500k from new.
What is it?
When the click becomes a loud clunk I will worry about it,
Untill then, Im just gunna ride mine till something breaks, fix it, then ride it again.
Hey no disrespect to your ride, these little 250 cruisers are far better than many would lead us to believe.
Keep up the regular oil changes with good oil. All should be good

aum108
20th February 2012, 19:53
What is it?
When the click becomes a loud clunk I will worry about it,
Untill then, Im just gunna ride mine till something breaks, fix it, then ride it again.

It's confusing, to say the least.

Hey no disrespect to your ride, these little 250 cruisers are far better than many would lead us to believe.

All I wanted was a comfortable 250cc ride with great fuel economy that's agile around town and can keep up on the motorway. The Virago fulfils ticks all those boxes, especially now I've regeared it 17% taller.