PDA

View Full Version : Headlight goes out when bike hits a bump

grusomhat
20th February 2012, 22:53
Have a very annoying intermittent fault with my bike that's proving hard to fix (although haven't tried too hard).

Whenever it goes over a fairly decent bump, the headlights will go out. Hitting either brake turns them back on again. I haven't been able to reproduce the fault
with the bike stationary and it doesn't seem to be a lose wire. I think the brake lights turning it back on is a clue but I really don't know what to.

Any ideas?

ducatilover
20th February 2012, 23:07
What year ZX6?
Clean all the earth points.
Check for wear on the loom where it passes through the frame.
Next time it does it, try flicking it on high or passing beam and see what happens.
I'd check the stator connections, reg/rec and battery, also how secure the battery is.
I'd check/clean the plugs on the switch blocks and all the fuses and fuse box plugs.

Good luck!

nzspokes
21st February 2012, 06:29
Dont hit bumps.

Sorted.

grusomhat
21st February 2012, 16:59
What year ZX6?
Clean all the earth points.
Check for wear on the loom where it passes through the frame.
Next time it does it, try flicking it on high or passing beam and see what happens.
I'd check the stator connections, reg/rec and battery, also how secure the battery is.
I'd check/clean the plugs on the switch blocks and all the fuses and fuse box plugs.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the bike a good going over and check all of these.

I do know that flicking it on high and hitting the pass button don't turn them back on. I'

Dont hit bumps.

Sorted.

There's a few of them here in CHCH

EDIT: It's a 2000 model

actungbaby
22nd February 2012, 11:16
Thanks for the advice. I'll give the bike a good going over and check all of these.

I do know that flicking it on high and hitting the pass button don't turn them back on. I'

There's a few of them here in CHCH

EDIT: It's a 2000 model

yes lady bumps are the best no need to ride over them either nice

Few bumps here to mate choulded road works damm them

All ladys ive offended sorry but its true what makes u ladys

F5 Dave
27th February 2012, 15:29
wow, how did you write that Actung? Are you on P?

So happens on High beam too? I was going to suggest the bulb itself. There could be a bad contact on headlight Relay if fitted or fuse which is likely independant of tail light. Presumably you have checked the connector to the bulb & wiggled everything you can if you say not lose wire.