PDA

View Full Version : Band to "test" radar detector?

ckai
21st February 2012, 07:47
Now buggered if I know the best place to put this...

So I've been shagging around with the bike and I installed a LED strip to my windscreen, in which I tapped into my 'smart cord' alert LED. Problem is, I need to test that it works. Mostly that I have the negative and positive wires on the strip around the right way (the wires were exactly the same).

What's the band that we generally turn off in NZ because it sets the detector off all the time? I was thinking of turning that on and riding through town to see if everything is going cool.

Of course if anyone has another idea on how to test it, I'm all ears.

Maybe this could have gone in the electrical section???

nodrog
21st February 2012, 07:54
K band

____

Parlane
21st February 2012, 08:52
K band

____

Also known as "Cave man"

nodrog
21st February 2012, 08:59
Also known as "Cave man"

LOL, I see you have a talking radar detector like me.

ckai
21st February 2012, 09:41
K band

____

Chooooice ta muchly.

Also known as "Cave man"

haha I should turn the voice back on mine and see what it sounds like. I had it on when I first got it years ago. Made me feel like I was driving KITT :) Novelty wore off when Turbo Boast didn't work.

slofox
21st February 2012, 11:22
X band is the one I turn off.

K is used by the digital mobile speed cameras - them in the vans - as well as all sorts of other things.

Ka is copper radar band mostly.

boman
22nd February 2012, 18:12
If you take a ride up my way, between Waiuku and Pukekohe, there is a ka sender mounted on a pole. Great for testing if the detector is working well. There is possibly one over your way also. They seem to be common.

Gremlin
23rd February 2012, 18:56
A lot of automatic door openers (especially petrol stations) are on K band... so the detector will pick those up...

boman
24th February 2012, 16:01
A lot of automatic door openers (especially petrol stations) are on K band... so the detector will pick those up...

Which is a major pain. I turned off K band for this reason. Nowadays, if the detector goes off. It generally is a cop. Very, Very few false alarms....

Tony W
24th February 2012, 17:53
The dirtiest trick the Police have ever done is revert the camera vans from Ka to K.

If they do this to the Hawk, we will all be phukt.

Clever bunts.

roogazza
24th February 2012, 18:09
The dirtiest trick the Police have ever done is revert the camera vans from Ka to K.

Clever bunts.

I keep my K band 'on' Even though harder to pick, if you keep your wits about you and have a good quality unit it's still worth it.
I tend to turn the unit down near gas stations and around town because of the remote doors that set it off.

I half expected a couple of tickets over xmas but must have been quick enough on the brake pedal (in the car that is).Nothing arrived in the mail.

nzspokes
24th February 2012, 18:19

Clever bunts.

Interesting you speak of poor training in one thread then advocate speeding in another.

Tony W
24th February 2012, 18:32
Interesting you speak of poor training in one thread then advocate speeding in another.

You misunderstand. Let me clarify.

I have no problem with anyone riding outside the law.
I would lose my licence once every 10 minutes according to the rules.

I just hate incompetents.

End of story.

Tony W
24th February 2012, 18:37
I keep my K band 'on' Even though harder to pick, if you keep your wits about you and have a good quality unit it's still worth it.
I tend to turn the unit down near gas stations and around town because of the remote doors that set it off.

I half expected a couple of tickets over xmas but must have been quick enough on the brake pedal (in the car that is).Nothing arrived in the mail.

Yes, I've had to reinstate the K band on my V1 too.

I still got busted while it was on 'mute' ! :facepalm:

nzspokes
24th February 2012, 18:37
You misunderstand. Let me clarify.

I have no problem with anyone riding outside the law.
I would lose my licence once every 10 minutes according to the rules.

I just hate incompetents.

End of story.

Interesting.

ckai
6th March 2012, 07:48
Well I finally got around to doing my test. Found a spot in town that was making K-band go nuts...lights didn't work. Sweet, just switch the wires around and she'll be good. Na, lights didn't work. Bugger!:mad:

So my simple "just solder a couple of extension wires on to the same points as the alert LED" is obviously flawed. Now I have to do some circuitry research to work out why it wouldn't work and try something else.

I really can't see why it wouldn't though, but obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.

Now to take the front end back off the bike.

BoristheBiter
6th March 2012, 08:37
Well I finally got around to doing my test. Found a spot in town that was making K-band go nuts...lights didn't work. Sweet, just switch the wires around and she'll be good. Na, lights didn't work. Bugger!:mad:

So my simple "just solder a couple of extension wires on to the same points as the alert LED" is obviously flawed. Now I have to do some circuitry research to work out why it wouldn't work and try something else.

I really can't see why it wouldn't though, but obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.

Try getting a HARD system. They just plug into the side of the detector. You can either use it inside the helmet like it is designed, you have to turn it off at night, or attach the light wires to your led set up.

If you can, switch your detector to see what frequency the radars are sending as camera van are 24.0** and most doors are 24.1**.

Parlane
6th March 2012, 08:42

Not enough voltage? Or polarity switched, did you switch the wires twice? :7

ckai
6th March 2012, 08:55
Try getting a HARD system. They just plug into the side of the detector. You can either use it inside the helmet like it is designed, you have to turn it off at night, or attach the light wires to your led set up.

If you can, switch your detector to see what frequency the radars are sending as camera van are 24.0** and most doors are 24.1**.

I'm too much of a tight ass for a HARD. These LEDS cost me $5 for a strip and they're side emitters so the light shines right towards my head as I've stuck them to the underside of the screen.

I'll have a look at the frequency display. I know I've had a look at it before.

Not enough voltage? Or polarity switched, did you switch the wires twice? :7

Yeah I did switch the wires over a couple of times since I thought that's what it would have been. Voltage...honestly can't imagine it would be the issue. Originally, I had a play with them being plugged into the audio output but that wasn't remotely enough power to run the whole strip. I think I'll have a look at tapping into the power LED of the cable just to test my theory. Since it always goes I'll know if it'll be a voltage issue or not.

Based on the diagram for the cord, it may not have enough voltage because of the resistors. The again, I don't reallyunderstand the diagram :) 259349