PDA

View Full Version : Carby clean and balance - What's involved?

baffa
22nd February 2012, 12:44
Heyas, I have a 97 Fireblade that misses a little and backfires a bit under decceleration.
seems to be running a little rich, but the fuel economy isnt bad.

It had been sitting for a reasonable while with only occasional rides before It got a service and I got my hands on it, so I think it could do with the carbs getting some love.
Seeing as it's an inline 4, what sort of money/time would be involved to get this done?

Trade_nancy
23rd February 2012, 15:20
I don't pay anyone else - but have done this on my CB750/4 several times over. To remove rack, dismantle carbs and clean, reassemble, bench synch, refit, resynch by gauges...would now take me 2 hours + - so I guess a shop rate might be $65 an hour? May get to 3 hours -dunno if yours is more involved with more crap to move about - like fairings etc.
Assuming it is a carb fault in the 1st place...a likely place to start though.

nzspokes
23rd February 2012, 15:47
Im looking at making a balance tool over the next week. You can borrow it once ive used it.

F5 Dave
24th February 2012, 16:23
before you get anyone to touch it make sure the pipe gaskets at the interface to the head are not leaking & the aircleaner & plugs are new. Otherwise you could be wasting money. How std is the exh?

baffa
8th March 2012, 14:04
Exhaust isnt standard, which obviously explains a few things.
Decided to get the bike Dr to go over it with a full service, its due for one in 1500k, and will be the service since I've bought it, so want a proper going over.

F5 Dave
8th March 2012, 15:05
Exhaust isnt standard, which obviously explains a few things.
. . .

yes it does. it won't have been rejeted since the exh.

One could try as an experiment an extra 1/2 turn on idle mixture if that is an option, but a dirty one (not sure of carbs but they will be CV Keihins I bet) or a common modification on CV carbs with freer flowing exhausts is a very thin washer under each needle. This raises the needles about 0.3mm, so less than a clip change. They will be like 3mm ID washers & erm have to google where to get them, maybe Dick smith or if you get lost I will have some I think.

Backfiring under decell is lean. Thus doesn't mean to say that it may be rich in another part of the revrange so don't be mislead if it is rich somewhere. CV carbs are load & more so rev tuned rather than straigh pull carbs which are throttle position jetted.

Sable
8th March 2012, 15:38
Get a service manual and do it yourself, cleaning a carb is something I reckon every motorcyclist should know how to do. It's not hard