PDA

View Full Version : Whats goin on out there?

Jinx3d
24th July 2005, 21:06
I cant figure it out, every time I drop by and read kiwibiker, I read about terrible "cage drivers", people dropping their bikes, broken bones and speeding tickets.

I think in the last year I had 1 person pull out on me. Even then it wasnt a big deal, since I could see she wasnt looking so I had already done half my braking before she pulled out.

I'd put this fantistic riding experience down to my safety vest and bright yellow bike - except that I dont wear one and my bike is dark blue. (black jacket)

Are others really having such bad riding experiences?

Jinxed [touching wood]

sAsLEX
24th July 2005, 21:17
I think people just use this forum to vent, they should get a boxing bag or something maybe!?

I see heaps of crap driving but just get out of there and carry on my way.

saul
24th July 2005, 21:22
:yes: Hey man I like that :motu:

justsomeguy
24th July 2005, 21:26
It's more that a lot of us use KB as a place to let off steam, seek sympathy, rant and rave and so on....

So we tend to exaggerate, get carried away, play mine is bigger than yours and the like.

I must say though that it's not all hot air, there have been a few truly serious events recently.
Also you must realise that we have nearly 2300 members and the friends, family and colleagues of these 2300 people who indirectly become related to KB. Add that to how small NZ is and you tend to literally have every incident that occurs brought up and commented on. We have our own share of police, firemen, ambulance officers, lawyers, insurance assesors, practically every mainstream occupation, hence giving us an insight into the "going-ons" in all walks of life.

JSG

FROSTY
24th July 2005, 21:27
I cant figure it out, every time I drop by and read kiwibiker, I read about terrible "cage drivers", people dropping their bikes, broken bones and speeding tickets.

I think in the last year I had 1 person pull out on me. Even then it wasnt a big deal, since I could see she wasnt looking so I had already done half my braking before she pulled out.

I'd put this fantistic riding experience down to my safety vest and bright yellow bike - except that I dont wear one and my bike is dark blue. (black jacket)

Are others really having such bad riding experiences?

Jinxed [touching wood]
On the whole if I don't have one close call in a day Im running scared.
But then Im commuting in "rush hour" auckland traffic and being honest with myself people are at their worst--either running late to work or stressed out trying to get home.
I Just accept it and get on with life.
I must say when I was just riding for pleasure I couldnt really name a time I had a close call

Sensei
24th July 2005, 21:38
Its all down to Timing Jinx3d . If its good no worrys . If it not then look out :weird:

marty
24th July 2005, 21:39
ahhh it's the TL thing - loud pipes save lives.

GROOMER
24th July 2005, 23:07
I think in the last year I had 1 person pull out on me.

Not the safest method of contraception I might add :whistle:

Beemer
24th July 2005, 23:36
I think it depends on the day - if someone does something to piss me off, I usually yell at them and gesticulate wildly with one finger or make the :tugger: sign straight away. I then go home and tell my husband about the dickhead I have just encountered. For those who don't have the presence of mind to tell someone what a tosser they are at the time, and for those who don't have anyone at home to vent to :weep: then I suppose KB is the only place they can share the experience and perhaps get some sympathy!

I have always been a great believer in telling someone they have pissed me off WHEN they piss me off, not three weeks later!

parsley
25th July 2005, 00:05
Driving north over the harbour bridge the other day on the way to work and some guy pulled out of the side road (Shelly Beach Road?) without looking and nearly knocked me over. I was tempted to put my fist through his window he was that damned close - I couldn't understand why he was so blind, unless he was deliberately ignoring me.

The surprising thing was when I got in to work the guy who sits next to me said "Was that you on the bike over the bridge? I was behind you - I couldn't believe that guy pulling out on you like that". Nice to know it wasn't just my imagination!

I've been riding in NZ for about 3 months now and that's the first serious incident I've had, but I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people pull out or change lane without indicating. Are we being put at risk every day? No. Are we being put at risk too often? Yes.

Ixion
25th July 2005, 00:29
Hint on stopping wallies pulling out on you.

Once you see said wally waiting on the sideroad/driveway, or zooming up to it, if he looks at all dodgy:

If you're on a multilane each way road, adjust position forward or back so that as you come up to him, you're close enough to a car/truck/bus, that if he were to hit you he'd also hit the car/t/b. He might be willing to risk hitting you (" Its a motorbike, he'll have to stop") but he won't risk hitting someone his own size.

On a single lane (ie one each way) try to time it so that you're similarly covered by an oncoming vehicle in the opposite lane.

Both methods can still leave you vulnerable to him pulling out and doing a left turn, but that's the least dnagerous pull out, because his acceleration will take him away from you , increasing your available stopping distance.

Same logic as going through intersections using another vehicle as a shield.

Oh, and if he looks the slightest bit dodgy, tootle him melodiously with your tootler. Mine gets a LOT of use. A few people look annoyed ("What you going on about"), but it's recommended in the road code. Better many unnecessary tootles, than one squashed biker.

(Didn't see him waiting/coming ? Need to be more paranoid).

Don't think I've had a pull out scare in the last year or so (Just watch, having tempted the Biker Gods now, I'll end up being totalled this week when someone pulls out on me :no: )

marty
25th July 2005, 09:07
Not the safest method of contraception I might add :whistle:

Q:what do you call people who use the 'pull out' method?

A: parents

Lou Girardin
25th July 2005, 09:29
The difference between a"fricken blind bastard" incident and a "shit, how did I miss him" incident is you.

vifferman
25th July 2005, 09:46
The difference between a"fricken blind bastard" incident and a "shit, how did I miss him" incident is you.
Probably.

I think part of it is at least that D'Auckland drivers are crap, and traffic density is higher. Apart from during my learning phase during the first year of bike ownership, when I was young and stupid, I'd had no accidents or close calls at all until I started communtering in D'Auckland. Although all but one of the crashes I've had in the last 5 years were other people's fault, I know that ALL of them could've been avoided or prevented by me.

Ixion
25th July 2005, 10:36
Probably.

I think part of it is at least that D'Auckland drivers are crap, and traffic density is higher. Apart from during my learning phase during the first year of bike ownership, when I was young and stupid, I'd had no accidents or close calls at all until I started communtering in D'Auckland. Although all but one of the crashes I've had in the last 5 years were other people's fault, I know that ALL of them could've been avoided or prevented by me.

One thing in Dorkland is that cos the roads are so busy you get several hazards at once - one guy ahead waiting to turn right in front of you, someone coming toward you going to turn in front of you into that road, and a guy coming out of the opposite road going to turn in front of you - all at the same time. It can be quite hard to keep an eye on all of them.

WRT
25th July 2005, 11:30
For those of you interested in safe riding practices (who isnt?), I highly recommend spending some time on the Monash Uni website (http://www.monash.edu.au). They have a wealth of information on a very wide range of bike related studies. Do a search for "motorcycle" and you will get reports covering everything from studies on the effects of crash barriers (an ever popular rant - nice to be able to back it up with some facts and figures), through to ways to reduce your chances of being involved in a crash.

For example, the following is a report on reducing the likelyhood of an accident for over 30's - http://www.monash.edu/muarc/reports/muarc192.pdf but there are heaps of other reports and studies that make very interesting reading.

ManDownUnder
25th July 2005, 11:49
I usualy have one maybe two close calls a year.
I see most of them coming so it doesn't worry me to much.
It's just the ones I don't see first that I might mention here.
An yes then it just becomes a bit of a vent.
It's gonn'a happen,we have 2000 odd members.

Same here and as Jackrat points out - over the whole of 2000 members (some of whom aren't the sedate and measured motorcyclist I am) there are giong to be some scrapes, hits and cuts.

Just not on me lately

MDU

Lou Girardin
25th July 2005, 11:50
Careful of what you believe in Monash studies, their road safety 'research' is funded by the Victorian Govt. You know, the recipients of all that lovely fine revenue.

WRT
25th July 2005, 11:55
Careful of what you believe in Monash studies, their road safety 'research' is funded by the Victorian Govt. You know, the recipients of all that lovely fine revenue.

Very true and a lot of their links refer back to reports on the ATSB website. However, (IMHO) their tips and tricks for staying alive are very relevant, regardless of who paid to have them printed.

ManDownUnder
25th July 2005, 12:04
check the Y axis title on page 13 of 100... attached - and unedited...

I'm not sure I like what it's saying... and if it's not true then crashe needs to start defending her reputation! I mean... that's just SLANDEROUS. That's about 1800 motorcyclists a year... errr... 34 a week... 5 a day!

Crashe - please tell me it ain't so. You seem like such a nice lady...

MDU

Big Dave
25th July 2005, 12:29
Same here and as Jackrat points out - over the whole of 2000 members (some of whom aren't the sedate and measured motorcyclist I am) there are giong to be some scrapes, hits and cuts.

Just not on me lately

MDU

That 2000 is suspect - thats how many people have joined (over a period - do memberships expire?) Not indicitive of how many are active. I reckon that to be in the hundreds.

ManDownUnder
25th July 2005, 12:32
That 2000 is suspect - thats how many people have joined (over a period - do memberships expire?) Not indicitive of how many are active. I reckon that to be in the hundreds.

well he did say 2000 ODD members...

then there's me...

crashe
25th July 2005, 12:36
check the Y axis title on page 13 of 100... attached - and unedited...

I'm not sure I like what it's saying... and if it's not true then crashe needs to start defending her reputation! I mean... that's just SLANDEROUS. That's about 1800 motorcyclists a year... errr... 34 a week... 5 a day!

Crashe - please tell me it ain't so. You seem like such a nice lady...

MDU

If only it were true but with the one person...... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I mean 5 times a day .....Yes please.....
34 times a week..... Yehaaaaaaaaaaaa
1800 a year..... Fark yeah..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ahhhhhhh well dreams are good..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And as for MDU telling everyone... Just wait til I get my hands on you....
Cos I know where to find you in the city..... and where you park your bike.....

You boyoooo owe me big time.... for this one...

ManDownUnder
25th July 2005, 12:38
If only it were true but with the one person...... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I mean 5 times a day .....Yes please.....
34 times a week..... Yehaaaaaaaaaaaa
1800 a year..... Fark yeah..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ahhhhhhh well dreams are good..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And as for MDU telling everyone... Just wait til I get my hands on you....
Cos I know where to find you in the city..... and where you park your bike.....

You boyoooo owe me big time.... for this one...

errr - you DO know I'm married, spoken for and happy at home?? LMAO

Sorry lovey - just saw it in the report and choked on my coffee...

as for the numbers... yeah well.. I won't disagree with them... or your sentiments... LMAO

Be great for fitness wouldn't it?

crashe
25th July 2005, 12:43
errr - you DO know I'm married, spoken for and happy at home?? LMAO

Sorry lovey - just saw it in the report and choked on my coffee...

as for the numbers... yeah well.. I won't disagree with them... or your sentiments... LMAO

Be great for fitness wouldn't it?

EXCUSE me.... But I aint type of lass....

I am a good girl....

ManDownUnder
25th July 2005, 12:47
EXCUSE me.... But I aint type of lass....

I am a good girl....

I'm not questioning that - just giving you the chance to explain the numbers LMAO

crashe
25th July 2005, 12:56
I'm not questioning that - just giving you the chance to explain the numbers LMAO

Now ya know a lady never tells....

Lou Girardin
25th July 2005, 14:35
If there are a thousand or two, or even 5 hundred, that's a reasonably healthy letter writing campaign base to hammer the Pollies.

ManDownUnder
25th July 2005, 14:38
If there are a thousand or two, or even 5 hundred, that's a reasonably healthy letter writing campaign base to hammer the Pollies.

Bloody good point that...

Don't forget to include a letter to the opposition pollies too... and some of the smaller parties...

Jinx3d
25th July 2005, 21:08
ahhh it's the TL thing - loud pipes save lives.

uH, yeah, maybe - they are a bit loud I guess, 96 db so the sticker says.

Wouldnt think you could hear them in a car tho' not THAT loud!

:-)

Cheers Marty.

Mike

Jay widda 150
25th July 2005, 21:25
saw a previous post desrcibing our love of giving other motorists the finger and the best ive seen is a motorbike been cut off by a van then in true cycle style the dude travels right next to the van, taps on his window and pulls the fingers. i drive past and supporting the bike give the van the one one finger salute. the van decides to go after one of us (aint sure who he was chasing) but pulls out in front of a little old lady who (you guessed it) gives him the hawaiian good luck charm but the dope cuts them both off in front of a cop who pulls him!!! take that cager! and special big ups to granny i think :Punk: