PDA

View Full Version : I need a new helmet

SMOKEU
1st March 2012, 11:51
I'm shopping for a new full face helmet as my current helmet is too big and I doubt it will stay put in a crash, and I have a budget of $200. I'm thinking about going to Budget Motorcycle Spares in Christchurch. Has anyone here bought a helmet from there before? The helmet I have at the moment is an HJC which I've had for around 4 years. It shakes around a fair bit at 200kmh (on a race track, of course) even with the chin strap tightened up nice and tight.

Also, how long should I wear the helmet for in the shop before deciding if it's the right size for me? How tight should a new helmet feel before I can decide if it's the right size?

Maha
1st March 2012, 11:54
It should fit like a condom, it is protection after all...;)

onearmedbandit
1st March 2012, 11:56
Budget are fine to deal with. Your helmet should be tight enough not to move independently of your head, but not that tight that it causes discomfort. Typically the padding with 'give' a little after wearing it for a few weeks, so tighter is better when trying one on. $200 doesn't give you a wide range of choice, hit your mum up, I know she doesn't like bikes so convince her to loan you some coin to get a better quality helmet. Another $200 should help.

steve_t
1st March 2012, 11:57
I find that when you try it in the shop, it needs to be tight, nearly to the point of discomfort. It'll ease off a bit over a short space of time. I guess the trouble is that everyone's head is a different shape and finding one that fits your head perfectly is a hard road.

Edit: OAB beat me to it

FJRider
1st March 2012, 12:43
I'm shopping for a new full face helmet as my current helmet is too big and I doubt it will stay put in a crash, and I have a budget of $200. I'm thinking about going to Budget Motorcycle Spares in Christchurch. Has anyone here bought a helmet from there before? The helmet I have at the moment is an HJC which I've had for around 4 years. It shakes around a fair bit at 200kmh (on a race track, of course) even with the chin strap tightened up nice and tight.

Also, how long should I wear the helmet for in the shop before deciding if it's the right size for me? How tight should a new helmet feel before I can decide if it's the right size?

Try a sports balaclava (or similar) under your existing helmet first. It will take some of the "shake" up ...

Jerry74
1st March 2012, 15:02
I got my AGV K3 from Emoto via their trade me store got a wicked bargain at only $180.
These helmets usually retail for $300 very comfy a a bbig step up from my old HGC and FFM.

SMOKEU
1st March 2012, 16:13
I got my AGV K3 from Emoto via their trade me store got a wicked bargain at only $180.
These helmets usually retail for $300 very comfy a a bbig step up from my old HGC and FFM.

The problem is that I want to try a helmet on before I buy it.

Jerry74
1st March 2012, 16:21
Emoto is on Moorehouse Ave beside Morrison Cars.
Go see them but if you buy off their trademe store it's cheaper than off the shelf in store.

Zedder
1st March 2012, 16:23
The problem is that I want to try a helmet on before I buy it.

There shouldn't be a problem, I've never had any issues when buying one. Try it on after asking the salesperson if you can wear for a while and will only buy if it fits well etc.

It's an important bit of gear so they should understand and be able to steer you right anyway.

SMOKEU
3rd March 2012, 11:36

Emoto is on Moorehouse Ave beside Morrison Cars.
Go see them but if you buy off their trademe store it's cheaper than off the shelf in store.

Cheers, I'll go round there and check them out.

Madness
3rd March 2012, 11:45
Also, how long should I wear the helmet for in the shop before deciding if it's the right size for me?

A bare minimum of three to four hours.

tigertim20
3rd March 2012, 14:41
Budget are fine to deal with. Your helmet should be tight enough not to move independently of your head, but not that tight that it causes discomfort. Typically the padding with 'give' a little after wearing it for a few weeks, so tighter is better when trying one on. $200 doesn't give you a wide range of choice, hit your mum up, I know she doesn't like bikes so convince her to loan you some coin to get a better quality helmet. Another $200 should help.

this is good advice.

Smoke, I might suggest you revise your budget just a tad - if you went up to say, $250, you would have a few more options. My flatmate bought an HJC FG-15 for $249 on a runout sale as a new model came in - their recommended retail was around $499, so you should look into that.
I know that a month or two back, MCR in Dunedin still had a bunch of old-model FG-15's in various colours/graphics for around $249 - You could either contact them (Rick and the guys there are great to deal with) or you mgiht find a shop able to offer you the same in chch - but for my money, id up the budget a tad, and look into runout models, a better helmet at a good price.

I have the FG 15 and its great at 250+km

Deano
3rd March 2012, 14:49
I bought a shoei that fit well in the shop. Nice n tight. Snug.

Did a road trip with it riding 4 hours at a time and my left ear hurt like feck. It came right though.

quickbuck
3rd March 2012, 15:44
Smokeu, have you got your helmet yet? Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8v4qzB5HLY&feature=share

sleemanj
3rd March 2012, 15:58
If you are doing 200 km/h in it, I'd probably be spending more than $200.

A sub $200 helmet is very much likely to be designed primarily to withstand typical road accidents at typical road speeds... track != road.

quickbuck
3rd March 2012, 16:29
If you are doing 200 km/h in it, I'd probably be spending more than $200.

A sub $200 helmet is very much likely to be designed primarily to withstand typical road accidents at typical road speeds... track != road.
To be totally honest, I would wear a more expensive helmet on the road. There is more stuff just off the side of the road for your head to hit.
On the track there is less stuff to hit. Most accidents are slides down the track.
IF you hit a wall at 200k, no helmet is really going to save you in any case.

SMOKEU
3rd March 2012, 16:35
Smokeu, have you got your helmet yet? Check this out:

Not yet, but I found that Trevor Pierce Yamaha has the AGV K3 for $199 on special so I'll go there on Monday and see how it goes.

quickbuck
3rd March 2012, 16:50
Not yet, but I found that Trevor Pierce Yamaha has the AGV K3 for $199 on special so I'll go there on Monday and see how it goes.

Sweet man.
Personally, I am just like the guy in the Video... Love the look of the AGV Stelth, but my head doesn't fit them...
Yup, got a Shoei.

tigertim20
3rd March 2012, 18:21
To be totally honest, I would wear a more expensive helmet on the road. There is more stuff just off the side of the road for your head to hit.
On the track there is less stuff to hit. Most accidents are slides down the track.
IF you hit a wall at 200k, no helmet is really going to save you in any case.

last sentence is probably a fair point, a bin on the road makes you more likely to suffer multiple impacts, i.e. you hit the road, the kerb, and the Jone's nice white picket fence before you halt. With track runoff areas these days, your most likely to just have the single impact of hitting the deck when you stack it.

scumdog
3rd March 2012, 18:38

You'll be looking for one that looks like a pickelhaube eh???:lol:

SMOKEU
3rd March 2012, 18:44
You'll be looking for one that looks like a pickelhaube eh???:lol:

I'd never even heard of that word till I Googled it. They look pretty damn awesome, I should get me one of them.

cs363
3rd March 2012, 21:04
I'd never even heard of that word till I Googled it. They look pretty damn awesome, I should get me one of them.

I think scummy has one....... :D

akkadian
4th March 2012, 16:34
I had an AGV K3 but even after weeks of wearing it in the darn thing was still not comfortable. Ended up getting a FFM Tourpro III for $99. Chucked the wind guards from my Givi up the sides and back and it seals off beautifully. No lifting at all. Have an FG15 too and its also very comfortable and seals even better.

SMOKEU
5th March 2012, 14:34
I tried on a AGV K4, HJC F15, a couple of FFM helmets and another couple of HJC helmets. I ended up buying a HJC CL-ST as I got it for $225 and it fits quite nicely.

onearmedbandit
5th March 2012, 17:26
Good stuff mate.

Madness
5th March 2012, 17:28
How did the AGV fit as a matter of interest.

SMOKEU
5th March 2012, 18:04
How did the AGV fit as a matter of interest.

The K4 in small size was a great fit, slightly better than the HJC I bought but not by much. The K3 was only available in medium size so it was way too big.

tigertim20
5th March 2012, 18:32
I tried on a AGV K4, HJC F15, a couple of FFM helmets and another couple of HJC helmets. I ended up buying a HJC CL-ST as I got it for $225 and it fits quite nicely.

good job! pics or it didnt happen

SMOKEU
5th March 2012, 18:39
good job! pics or it didnt happen

My phone is rooted so I can't take pics, but it's the same colour scheme as this here: http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?q=hjc+cl-st&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&tbnid=prXqEd4q3kVNyM:&imgrefurl=http://www.twowheel.co.uk/hjc-cl-st-ii-krave.html&docid=hbU8S2qFvWtvEM&imgurl=http://www.twowheel.co.uk/images/detailed/40/hjc-cl-st-2-krave.jpg&w=583&h=606&ei=NV9UT-XcDLGSiAfLqoHPDQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=247&sig=108911922114262866786&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=138&start=0&ndsp=49&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0&tx=68&ty=65

SMOKEU
6th March 2012, 19:53
I tested the new helmet on a "race track" at speeds of just over 200kmh and the new helmet is great. I no longer feel the helmet bouncing around on my head. Best money I've spent in ages.

pritch
6th March 2012, 20:43
A wise man once told a friend of mine that once the helmets meet the safety standards they are much of a muchness in that respect. The more expensive helmets will be more comfortable, may be quieter, and have a flash paint job, but the cheap ones still meet the standard.

Then again, I bought a cheapo helmet when I bought the moped. The visor mounts broke and it gets uncomfortable on a ten minute ride. it's going in the bin, it has been replaced by an Arai, a bargain at only five times the price.

SMOKEU
6th March 2012, 21:08
A wise man once told a friend of mine that once the helmets meet the safety standards they are much of a muchness in that respect.

That's exactly what I thought. They all have to meet certain safety standards, and I highly doubt a reputable motorcycle shop would risk getting into legal trouble by selling unsafe helmets.

In either case I'd rather have a $200 helmet that fits my head well than a $1,000 helmet which is a bad fit and at risk of falling off in a crash.

Fast Eddie
6th March 2012, 22:09
I tested the new helmet on a "race track" at speeds of just over 200kmh and the new helmet is great. I no longer feel the helmet bouncing around on my head. Best money I've spent in ages.

spend more on hookers then..