PDA

View Full Version : Red light sensors

G4L4XY
2nd March 2012, 09:25
So how many of you out there find that your sitting at the lights for an abnormal amount of time because the stupid sensor on the road doesn't detect your even there!! and it's only when a car pulls up behind you that the lights even change!!
I mean you can see where the sensor plates on the road are because you can see where they've cut into the road and sealed it all back up.
I met up with another bike at the lights in highbury last night, we missed like two phases and ended up having to roll forward so the car behind us could trigger the sensor..

Scuba_Steve
2nd March 2012, 09:33
there's 3 I hit that if I'm using them at the wrong times I have to run the red. It just shows those in charge have no interest in anything other than cages
A guide for deadly pedleys said the best chance of setting them off (not guaranteed) is to align the bike with the middle cut as thats where the strip is? I don't know never tried it, I'm quite happy running the red & will continue to do so until they put in biker friendly lights.

G4L4XY
2nd March 2012, 09:37
Do you ever get fined for running a red? I will have to try your theory at my next available chance

Scuba_Steve
2nd March 2012, 09:48
Do you ever get fined for running a red? I will have to try your theory at my next available chance

Na when I'm running them it's at times when no-ones round, & I'll let all other vehicles disappear 1st if there is anyone round.
If you try aligning yourself with the centre cut & it does work let us know, might be a way to legally use these stupid discriminative lights. Otherwise just watch yourself when running reds it's an "at your own risk" activity & obviously let everyone else clear out 1st, your the one without legal right.

oneofsix
2nd March 2012, 09:55
there's 3 I hit that if I'm using them at the wrong times I have to run the red. It just shows those in charge have no interest in anything other than cages
A guide for deadly pedleys said the best chance of setting them off (not guaranteed) is to align the bike with the middle cut as thats where the strip is? I don't know never tried it, I'm quite happy running the red & will continue to do so until they put in biker friendly lights.

I saw that deadly pedley advice posted at a set of light somewhere and it seemed to work. Interesting how they give that advice to the deadly pedleys but we are just meant to make do or work it out for ourselves, I feel discriminated against ... again. :mad: I now aim for the centre strip when I can.

Lucyloo
2nd March 2012, 10:23
I have been told that if you switch the ignition off and on it may trigger the sensor as it had something to do with the electrical field - however that may have just been someone having me on!

Big Dave
2nd March 2012, 10:33
Put the bike on its side stand for a few seconds on the sensors. Works with most, not all.

chasio
2nd March 2012, 10:58
I have been told that if you switch the ignition off and on it may trigger the sensor as it had something to do with the electrical field - however that may have just been someone having me on!

That method seems to work for me. I use it pro-actively as I come to a stop any time I reach a right filter and there is nothing larger in front or behind me, for example. Takes about 2 seconds and is not position critical, just somewhere near the lines in the road.

baptist
2nd March 2012, 11:07
Put the bike on its side stand for a few seconds on the sensors. Works with most, not all.

What I do, although you are right about it not working on some, I have one set that just does not change for me. If no car is behind me to move forward I do have to go over a red light, annoying to say the least.

Swoop
2nd March 2012, 11:10
The sensors are designed to not register hyosung bikes. Just a fact of life that needs to be lived with.

Mad-V2
2nd March 2012, 11:27
This was discussed a while back, Heres the thread "Scooter and red lights" (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/138813-Scooter-and-red-lights)

slofox
2nd March 2012, 11:30
Never had a problem meself...

Maybe it's my magnetic personality that sets 'em off, eh?

Big Dave
2nd March 2012, 11:32
Wow. They have traffic lights in Hamilton these days.

nzspokes
2nd March 2012, 11:48
Put the bike on the side stand, get off. Then stamp your feet either side of the bike and get back on.

jim.cox
2nd March 2012, 12:06
The sensitivity of the sensors can be adjusted.

Let your Local Road Controlling Authority (usually City Council) know which ones (approach and lane) and request they fix it.

In the meantime, just treat the intersection as a compulsary stop

slofox
2nd March 2012, 12:11
Wow. They have traffic lights in Hamilton these days.

Well...we actually use glow-worms in tins...

oneofsix
2nd March 2012, 12:15
Put the bike on the side stand, get off. Then stamp your feet either side of the bike and get back on.

what? :scratch: do you wear steel capped boots or something? Most traffic lights us electro-magnetic sensors, a loop embedded in the road that picks up the induction fro mthe metal in the vehicle. Not weight or vibration sensors.

muppitt
2nd March 2012, 12:27
They will never be pressure sensitive. The most senitive part is where the cables come in from the controller normally on the left side of the cuts .Or just stop riding plastic bikes .:beer:

Scuba_Steve
2nd March 2012, 12:31
Or just stop riding plastic bikes .:beer:

aluminium, carbon fibre, magical pixie dust. They don't pick these up either

oneofsix
2nd March 2012, 12:39

magical pixie dust :drool: if I had that I could fly :banana:

Tigadee
2nd March 2012, 12:43
I lay my bike down each time on top of the sensors, works everytime... :2thumbsup

G4L4XY
2nd March 2012, 12:49
The sensors are designed to not register hyosung bikes. Just a fact of life that needs to be lived with.

Hahahaha yeah I know, but hey I can go for my full this month!!!

muppitt
2nd March 2012, 13:03

Aluminium works us my ladder on loops to open doors all the time.

sil3nt
2nd March 2012, 13:31
Never had a problem meself...

Maybe it's my magnetic personality that sets 'em off, eh?Hamilton is pretty good at detecting bikes. What Hamilton isn't good for is proper timing and cycling of the lights.

Avoid the travelling along killareny road through the greenwood/killarney intersection at night unless you really feel do nothing for five minutes as the lights give priority to greenwood traffic even if there is no one on the road :facepalm:

Berries
2nd March 2012, 19:06
The sensitivity of the sensors can be adjusted.

Let your Local Road Controlling Authority (usually City Council) know which ones (approach and lane) and request they fix it.
What he said.

They aren't plates btw, but inductive loops placed in the slots that they cut, that is what senses your bike. Sometimes. If it doesn't then do the above. They can adjust the sensitivity so that it will register a pedal cycle, but when they are that finely tuned they'll trigger for just about anything so it has to be somewhere in the middle and they do go off over time. Personally I'll give it a bit longer than I should have to then I will ignore the lights and go for it. As Rastuscat pointed out in another thread, that's when Murphy says there will be a cop coming the other way so caveat emptor as they say.

EJK
2nd March 2012, 19:08
Put your bike on sidestand.

Get off your bike.

Start doing some jumping jacks.

:yes:

hellokitty
3rd March 2012, 06:08
and BMW F650s

Put your bike on sidestand.

Get off your bike.

Start doing some jumping jacks.

:yes:

So weird, I never have an issue on the Harley, but the BMW wouldn't trigger many lights. People (women in their people movers) don't always pull up when you beckon them either. When you are flat footed on one side and so have to have the other leg waving in the air as you are too short, you need people to hurry up and move onto the sensor!

Berries
3rd March 2012, 08:14
So weird, I never have an issue on the Harley
There is a sarcastic reply in there somewhere.

ExpertoCrede
3rd March 2012, 09:32
Generally not a problem except for one pesky traffic light just outside the CBD if no other vehicle is around.

As a few others said use your sidestand.

However I don't bother getting off my bike.

Simply gear to neutral and let the sidestand touch the central part of the ground sensor area for a few moments. Works for me everytime.

sleemanj
4th March 2012, 14:10
Do a skid.

When I rode an XV250 many moons ago, I found that if you rocked up to the lights and locked the rear it would have a much better chance of triggering. I could only uneducatedly guess that the squat produced was just enough to bring the bulk of the bike low enough that it would trigger.

Blackshear
4th March 2012, 16:16
Even though my bike is made of obese steel and various other heavy alloys, I've just smacked a 10x25mm cylindrical magnet on the sump bolt and never missed a set of lights before.