PDA

View Full Version : Noob intro, bobber build

Ramatag
4th March 2012, 18:39
Hi all,

I'm new to bikes and am building a bobber out a GN250 I found under my mates house. With gas and a battery she fired first go which was awesome. Ive now stripped her down to the bare frame and am now planning the Build.

I have a couple of questions:

1. If I cut off the tail in Pic 1 is this a cert issue?
2. Can I remove the bracketry in Pic 2 and put in my own to mount the battery and electrics? or is this a cert issue to.

Cheers,

Mike

Ramatag
4th March 2012, 18:40
Pics loaded opposite way round haha

Edbear
4th March 2012, 18:57
Goodonyer! Can't advise on your project but other members should be able to help. Otherwise contact Classic_Z at his workshop in Whangaparaoa 09-424 0477.

Welcome aboard!

carburator
4th March 2012, 19:19
the mods you are proposing to me do not require a cert as you are
not moving suspenion points nor motor mounts. or fitting a NON OEM motor
to the frame.

however for the bracket removal when dressing the area, if a steel rule can be held
against the tube and visually see that more than a quater of the frame tube thickness
has been removed then they can get twitchy.

flapper discs are great but can remove a lot of material.. ( and fast )

The Lone Rider
9th March 2012, 17:05
As above.

The legs that hold the rear fender etc on can be cut off, as can the tabs. Do a tidy job with the tabs though - don't cut into the tubing in removing the tabs. A rotary tool/die grinder is what I'd use; it's slow but you can do very fine work.

Ramatag
9th March 2012, 18:15
Cool thanks for the info guys. I'm not rushing the build so yea itll be slow and steady on all removal. What about welding on new tabs will this become an issue?

FJRider
9th March 2012, 18:40
What about welding on new tabs will this become an issue?

It must be done by a certified welder.

The Lone Rider
9th March 2012, 18:44
Cool thanks for the info guys. I'm not rushing the build so yea itll be slow and steady on all removal. What about welding on new tabs will this become an issue?

Or... the tabs need to be welded on really well, the prep and finishing immaculate, and look like they are original frame hardware, and it'll most likely go unnoticed.

FJRider
9th March 2012, 19:11
Or... the tabs need to be welded on really well, the prep and finishing immaculate, and look like they are original frame hardware, and it'll most likely go unnoticed.

They do have their rules to follow. And can get quite picky. THATS what they get paid to do.

Ramatag
10th March 2012, 15:04
Thanks will take this info into concideration

Also heres some pics of the Initial Bike and progress

Ramatag
14th March 2012, 20:00
Finished early at work today so slammed some hours at the bike.

Got rid of the tail and all the brackets, Refitted every thing to see where everythings going to mount, Made up a template for the seat, Trimmed some fat off the front guard. Got some straight drag bars on the way for her

Does anyone know if you can buy a longer swing arm for the gn? at the moment shes quite stubby and I look like a Gorilla on a tricycle on it haha

Slamwich
10th September 2012, 19:52
Hey, Im new to this forum and searched for a GN250 bobber build, and found yours. Im very keen myself as they are very affordable. have you got any updates on this build?

thanks