PDA

View Full Version : Trademe scam?

dlber
6th March 2012, 13:25
Recently, I've been trying to sell my scooter on trademe, without a hell of a lot of success!! However, last night, quite late, I got a text from 19177254625, thus;

How many people have owned this bike?..and what is the price for it.. Email me via HDOLTON(at)YMAIL.COM for more details... Dolton

Surely a scam? Or am I just being overly paranoid? And if it is a scam what can be done about it? I sent a message to Trademe about the same thing, so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say

DB

SMOKEU
6th March 2012, 13:30
I've had a few scammers contact me for vehicle listings I've had on Trademe. The worst is when having a vehicle advertised on sella.co.nz. Scammers seem to love that site.

Drew
6th March 2012, 13:31
Set up a new email address, one which requires no personal info. Then message the guy back. Problem solved.

I'd say it's more likely, that the guy wants to make an offer outside of trademe.

nzspokes
6th March 2012, 13:51
Very standard scam on TM.

cynna
6th March 2012, 14:18
i got three texts this morning (all the same from the same guy) for a surf i have for sale - asking to email him back about the interior. his england was very no good so just ignored them. his name came up instead of number on my ph so dont know how that happened.

also got a warning email from tm the other day about how a known scammer has viewed my listing

Tigadee
6th March 2012, 14:28
It's a scam... Got an email from TM warnign me about it. You should have as well.

YellowDog
6th March 2012, 14:53
Thanks for the heads up. I just put my Subaru on TM http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=454906504. As I have so far sold 4 vehicles on TM, I figured it was the best punt for me.

I just sold a woodburner on TM. Some idiot with no history on South Island called 'vmxbikes' put a very high auto bid on from day one. I knocked his bid off on the last day as he hadn't made any contact to confirm he was genuine. I recon I got more money than I would have otherwise achieved; so the idiot scammer helped me out :yes:

avgas
6th March 2012, 14:56
http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/1007/its-a-trap-demotivational-poster-1279762364.jpg

cs363
6th March 2012, 15:03
I got a text from 19177254625

Unless it's a bloody flash scooter, I think the shipping costs to send it to New York (917 area code) could be a tad prohibitive.... :lol:

Pussy
6th March 2012, 17:17
Unless it's a bloody flash scooter, I think the shipping costs to send it to New York (917 area code) could be a tad prohibitive.... :lol:

It's probably better than a spaghetti bike.....

dlber
7th March 2012, 08:57
By the time I got home last night I had received the standard trademe warning.
It's a pity there isn't something more agressive that could be done. Any ideas.

DB

avgas
7th March 2012, 09:00
By the time I got home last night I had received the standard trademe warning.
It's a pity there isn't something more agressive that could be done. Any ideas.

DB
Call them for free in gmail

cs363
7th March 2012, 15:14
It's probably better than a spaghetti bike.....

I doubt it, especially if that cheap Taiwanese rice cooker of yours is anything to go by.
The smell of burnt rice does linger.....

BAD DAD
7th March 2012, 16:29
We had a bike for sale on trademe last year. Some '' English merchant seaman" wants to buy it and offers a bid which seemed close to it's desired price . Can't view the bike himself because he is working on a ship but will get an agent to sort out the deal. By now my antenna is up but son is keen to flick said bike. Anyway some African joker starts a barrage of calls. Luckily I am home just as one call comes through. After discussing with him that we had thought that it might be a scam but thank goodness now that we know he is "genuine" and that I don't have to dob him into SFA after all ,ha ha ha, he promptly hung up.

nzvlogger
7th March 2012, 17:45
Its a scam, they txt you via the net

I should probably explain more, once you say yea im keen, they say they will pay you via paypal (which is normally ok) BUT because you are new to Paypal you do it anyway and he pays your Paypal account via a credit card, once you send the item off he does a reverse charge on the credit card and because of Paypals rules theres piss all you can do about it. SO trick is to say "Pay it into my account via another bank account" and you will find he wont reply.

Thats how it used to go anyway, They are always updating the Paypal terms with credit companys to make it safer but still dodgy sometimes, I use a paypal account to get donations for my Android developing and never had any issues but only because i dont have to send anything lol

UPDATE: heres a video about one guy that got screwed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVKRD2xOOQ

nudemetalz
8th March 2012, 09:12
I doubt it, especially if that cheap Taiwanese rice cooker of yours is anything to go by.
The smell of burnt rice does linger.....

I love the smell of dead gixxer in the morning....

rok-the-boat
8th March 2012, 19:37
I have had a couple of dodgy messages too, from overseas. I am just polite and say I will only sell to locals. One guy said he'd even pay up front but I just couldn't be bothered - probably a potential scam in there somewhere.

cs363
9th March 2012, 12:32
I love the smell of dead gixxer in the morning....

You'll love this then.... (scratch & sniff....)

http://phonezap.com/i/600/1223829.jpg