PDA

View Full Version : NZTA = money grubbing swine

jim.cox
8th March 2012, 07:55
Because I dont use my bike much and the rego fees are so high, for a while now I've had the Ducati's registration on hold

Just recently I recieved an 'overdue' notice for the registration

Went to the NZTA website to extend the period

The bastards wanted nearly a hundred dollars before I could do it

Somehow I must have missed the first notice that the expiry was coming up - and they want the $$$ as if the bike was being used, even though it wasn't

CUNTS

Scuba_Steve
8th March 2012, 07:59
First dealings with them is it???

baffa
8th March 2012, 10:40
Lololololol

oneofsix
8th March 2012, 10:42
another :innocent: :baby: that has just discovered why some don't consider it a crime or even a traffic offence to not pay your rego

The Singing Chef
8th March 2012, 10:51
I made a big mistake with that recently, with my first bike when I took it off the road, me being the noob that I was, didn't realise that you have to put it on hold or they will still charge you for all rego that happens to accumulate.

So lucky me got a letter from some Debt company demanding $430 for a years rego for a bike that I wasn't even using and there isn't a way out of it either.

Bastards.

Sable
8th March 2012, 12:52
I had a bike on hold for 3 years, not ridden ever. They didn't send me a letter telling me to renew the exemption this year, found out it was overdue too late. So I changed the ownership to someone else then back then put it on hold so i didn't have to stump up the money for nothing. Cue letter demanding $240 within 7 days or it's going to debt collection. Phone call: "Hi, I'm being charged registration for a bike that's been on hold for years, it's in parts in boxes. You didn't send me a reminder letter and I'm not happy with paying money for nothing."
"The reminder letter is a courtesy, not an obligation. You have to pay us or it's going to debt collection."
FUCKERS

ellipsis
8th March 2012, 12:58
....c'mon now...you are dealing with a govt dept...call 'em what you like...it is a bureaucratic machine...and it doesn't give a fuck...moaning at them is as silly as poking a knitting needle in your eye...

Muppet
8th March 2012, 13:02
Because I dont use my bike much and the rego fees are so high, for a while now I've had the Ducati's registration on hold

Just recently I recieved an 'overdue' notice for the registration

Went to the NZTA website to extend the period

The bastards wanted nearly a hundred dollars before I could do it

Somehow I must have missed the first notice that the expiry was coming up - and they want the $$$ as if the bike was being used, even though it wasn't

CUNTS

Yep, you have my sympathies. It's a continuous licensing system; either you licence it for the road or you put it on hold. And you have to put it on hold for at least 3 months.

NordieBoy
8th March 2012, 13:12

I didn't get a notice either. Until they informed me I had to pay a years reg on a bike in boxes.

Scuba_Steve
8th March 2012, 13:24
I had a bike on hold for 3 years, not ridden ever. They didn't send me a letter telling me to renew the exemption this year, found out it was overdue too late. So I changed the ownership to someone else then back then put it on hold so i didn't have to stump up the money for nothing. Cue letter demanding $240 within 7 days or it's going to debt collection. Phone call: "Hi, I'm being charged registration for a bike that's been on hold for years, it's in parts in boxes. You didn't send me a reminder letter and I'm not happy with paying money for nothing."
"The reminder letter is a courtesy, not an obligation. You have to pay us or it's going to debt collection."
FUCKERS

been there, currently have 2 baycorp lodgings against me from those wankers.
Only saving grace is they hand out so many some companies ignore any NZTA baycorp lodgings as long as you have a valid excuse, cause they've just turned into a joke with their "boy who cried wolf" tactics.
Mate who worked for them short period (they're no better to work for either FYI) said as soon as you hit that 1yr no reg/exemption period it's lodged with baycorp. You get no warning 1st time you hear about it is a call from baycorp by which time a "collection fee" has been added on

cowboyz
8th March 2012, 13:40
we al know the liciencing thing is a crock. But what really annoys me is the coming off hold thing. If you miss it coming off hold.. it will start accumulating fees. The racebike is on hold. Has been for a couple of years. one day it might come back on the road. but i have to remeber to put it on hold every year

Jizah
8th March 2012, 14:04
been there, currently have 2 baycorp lodgings against me from those wankers.
Only saving grace is they hand out so many some companies ignore any NZTA baycorp lodgings as long as you have a valid excuse, cause they've just turned into a joke with their "boy who cried wolf" tactics.
Mate who worked for them short period (they're no better to work for either FYI) said as soon as you hit that 1yr no reg/exemption period it's lodged with baycorp. You get no warning 1st time you hear about it is a call from baycorp by which time a "collection fee" has been added on

I didn't even get a letter from Baycorp. The first I heard about it was when I applied for a credit card back in 2005. Didn't pay a cent of the debt, haven't heard anything about it since.

red mermaid
8th March 2012, 15:29
Its your bike, you put it on hold, if you can't remember that, tough luck and pay up.

Or would you rather they reminded you it was due and while they are at it come round and wipe your nose and tidy your room as well?

Sable
8th March 2012, 15:35
Its your bike, you put it on hold, if you can't remember that, tough luck and pay up.

Or would you rather they reminded you it was due and while they are at it come round and wipe your nose and tidy your room as well?
It's paying an assload of money for a service not rendered that pisses people off.

FJRider
8th March 2012, 15:40
It's paying an assload of money for a service not rendered that pisses people off.

Service ... what "service" do they (supposed to) provide ... ???

Sable
8th March 2012, 15:48
Not getting pulled over by the pigs? Paying tax for something you're not doing might be a better way of putting it, one supposes

red mermaid
8th March 2012, 15:48
The service they provide is calculating and collecting the money in a timely efficient manner, which they do.

Anymore than that and it would be 'Nanny State' looking over your shoulder telling you what to do, and from what I've read I am sure the members of KB would never want that as they are all awesome independent bike riders making their own way in the world.

Gremlin
8th March 2012, 15:49
Or would you rather they reminded you it was due
If VTNZ are only too happy to give you a reminder email for a $30 wof, then surely it would be a good business model for NZTA to give reminders to people for $100's

??

I know, I know, it's a government department. Worse still, who can you complain to, about their unethical nature?

The Pastor
8th March 2012, 15:53
yeah i get stung for 1 months rego every year.

soo freeking gay, my bike cant even run!

why cant i put on hold forever! When i want it on the road i'll put it on the road

FJRider
8th March 2012, 15:53
If VTNZ are only too happy to give you a reminder email for a $30 wof, then surely it would be a good business model for NZTA to give reminders to people for $100's

??

But he did get a reminder ... he just forgot about it (As stated in the FIRST post) :rolleyes:

But it's the Goverments fault ... :scratch:

jim.cox
8th March 2012, 15:55

I would have thought since

a: it was on hold, and

b: it is going back on hold

that zero charges should apply

Nevermind I'll just charge them extra next time I do some work for them...

baffa
8th March 2012, 15:56
This reminds me of people who forget to pay insurance, get it cancelled, then their vehicle gets stolen, and abuse the insurance company when it wont pay out.

If these organisations and companies decided to wave the fee for their services just because you felt hard done by, then they'd all be bankrupt, and you'd be raging about that instead.

sil3nt
8th March 2012, 16:11
yeah i get stung for 1 months rego every year.

soo freeking gay, my bike cant even run!

why cant i put on hold forever! When i want it on the road i'll put it on the roadwhy can't you put it on hold forever?

GingerMidget
8th March 2012, 16:21

??

I know, I know, it's a government department. Worse still, who can you complain to, about their unethical nature?

You get a letter about 3 weeks before the licence is due. If you move and don't update your address, it becomes your own problem. A reminder that its now overdue is sent after a month. This applies to holds/exemptions also.

george formby
8th March 2012, 16:27
I'm thinking of putting tubby on hold, rego is due now....
I always get a letter when the rego is due so if some kb'ers are not getting letters when they reach the end of a year on hold that sounds like a deliberate double standard to get revenue.
You need to have a current rego by law so the LTSA has a certain obligation to ensure this happens but it sounds like they have shifted the onus onto the owner if a vehicle is on hold & therefore not on the road. The vehicle is still in the system so it must be deliberate. Common sense would have the computer spitting out reminders promptly either way.

Could it be a money grabbing dictatorial conspiracy by the gummint bean counters, or does this thread not tell the whole truth?

Gremlin
8th March 2012, 16:45
You get a letter about 3 weeks before the licence is due. If you move and don't update your address, it becomes your own problem. A reminder that its now overdue is sent after a month. This applies to holds/exemptions also.
Ah, OK, that seems fair enough to me then... provided those letters/reminders do go out...

I chuck all the dates (wof, rego etc) in my calendar with reminders for 2 weeks prior, easy enough - unless you forget to put it in your calendar :facepalm:

Maha
8th March 2012, 16:48

I tend to agree...
The two sentences below alert me to the fact that Mr Cox was indeed notified prior.
The same reasoning could apply to those who 'overlook' getting a WOF on or before the due date and being pinged for it...who's at fault then?

''Just recently I recieved an 'overdue' notice for the registration''......and
''Somehow I must have missed the first notice that the expiry was coming up''

Zamiam
8th March 2012, 17:46
Bunch of thieving pricks alright

First new car we bought in March 1994. Fiat registered as 1994. Then they changed the rules so it was year built so suddenly it's a 1993. It was a diesel turbo < 1500kgs so was classed as 1 tonne for road user charges. Then they changed the rules so that you rounded up regardless for RUC's. So now double cost. We hung onto car until 2010 as a spare. Let rego expire a few times simply renewed it and paid back charges when wanted to use it. Then they changed the rules so that if unregistered for more than 12 months it was deregistered (was 24 months before change). How did I find out? Went to register it and it had expired 12 1/2 months earlier. Not possible, needs recomplying, estimated cost 800-1000. Aye what I said? If I'd registered it at 364 days it's alright to drive on the road but the next day it's not. Sold it on trademe doing about $1500 on it. Purchaser drove it back to Nelson from Taranaki n rego or wof. Billed ltsa for the lost money, wrote to minister on transport - end result I'm listed with baycorp. Had to pay back rego even though they wouldn't let me register it.

Wish I good run a business like this!

Scuba_Steve
8th March 2012, 20:49

5 vehicles on hold all at different times, you gonna remember when they all lapse without reminder???
If your answer is yes... Get some friends ay.

Usarka
8th March 2012, 20:51
If they threaten debt collection send them an urgent letter or email saying you dispute the charge.

Scuba_Steve
8th March 2012, 21:03
This reminds me of people who forget to pay insurance, get it cancelled, then their vehicle gets stolen, and abuse the insurance company when it wont pay out.

If these organisations and companies decided to wave the fee for their services just because you felt hard done by, then they'd all be bankrupt, and you'd be raging about that instead.

different aint it?, if your vehicles sitting in the garage you are NOT using the service they are charging you for, rego is payment for the privilege to use the roads if your not using them what are you paying for?. For any private company it is illegal for them to charge you for a service you are not utilizing.
But hey if you feel it right to pay for services you are not using, feel free to pay me 60$/hr for the IT support I am not supplying you. Tell you what special deal just for you, $45k and you get a years support, thats a saving of 480,600$ you can't say thats not a good deal

Macontour
8th March 2012, 21:32
MY old XJ650 has been on hold for about 10 years(still hope to get it going again one day) and I have to keep renewing the exemption. I recently got a letter saying I now owed them $$$ because I hadn't renewed the exemption. I have since extended the exemption online and am now waiting to see if I get a letter from Baycorp.

mashman
8th March 2012, 22:16
[/B]
different aint it?, if your vehicles sitting in the garage you are NOT using the service they are charging you for, rego is payment for the privilege to use the roads if your not using them what are you paying for?. For any private company it is illegal for them to charge you for a service you are not utilizing.

You could ask them to introduce black box technology so that they can "manage" your speed, alcohol level, driving style, safety etc... as well as usage. Pay as you go sounds good?

davereid
9th March 2012, 07:06
MY old XJ650 has been on hold for about 10 years(still hope to get it going again one day) and I have to keep renewing the exemption. I recently got a letter saying I now owed them $$$ because I hadn't renewed the exemption. I have since extended the exemption online and am now waiting to see if I get a letter from Baycorp.

I have been following this for years.

And I have observed that :

(1) Baycorp dont seem to do anything other than list the debt, they never actually prosecute it. Let me know if you have been prosecuted, but I have never met anyone who has. And if your credit is otherwise sound, debts to the NZTA wont be considered relevant IMHO.

(2) If you do nothing, the vehicle will have its licence canceled. Then you have to re-vin it.

(3) If you don't want to pay the back reg, you need to put it in a new owners name, before it has its licence canceled.

Scuba_Steve
9th March 2012, 07:15
You could ask them to introduce black box technology so that they can "manage" your speed, alcohol level, driving style, safety etc... as well as usage. Pay as you go sounds good?

pay as you go sounds good (RUC's for all) black box does not!!!

GingerMidget
9th March 2012, 19:58
(3) If you don't want to pay the back reg, you need to put it in a new owners name, before it has its licence canceled.

You do realise, that a bill is sent to the last registered owner for the registration unpaid until the date of transfer?

This is payable online, or by cheque directly to nzta. Not at a post shop/vtnz/blah blah.

Ocean1
9th March 2012, 20:01
You do realise, that a bill is sent to the last registered owner for the registration unpaid until the date of transfer?

This is payable online, or by cheque directly to nzta. Not at a post shop/vtnz/blah blah.

Yup.

The 525 is overdue, don't have time to get it warantable so I can register it so I can put it on hold.

It's a fucking rort.

davereid
10th March 2012, 06:43

The idea of putting it a new name, is that if you go to pay for the rego you want they will demand you pay the "overdue" first. When you put it in a new name, the "new registered person" only has to pay from the date they take over.

The old "registered person" will get an account, but as I pointed out, this account can be ignored, as it goes to Baycorp/Veda who other than filing it as a negative credit event do nothing.

If you think your credit rating is marginal then that may be important for you.

But if you pay all your other accounts, it doesn't matter a toss. And like all negative reports it falls out of the system after a few years.

Its up to you. You can pay it if you want, or ignore it.

Deano
10th March 2012, 07:51
FUCKERS

If they regularly send out a reminder letter, but then fail to do so, I was told by a lawyer that you have some legal comeback under what is termed 'promissory estoppel'. Could be worth referencing for any future issues.

GingerMidget
10th March 2012, 11:24
Yup.

The 525 is overdue, don't have time to get it warantable so I can register it so I can put it on hold.

It's a fucking rort.

why would you register it, just to put it on hold?

You can put an expired rego on hold, depending when it expires depends how much you pay to bring it up to date. I think if its within two months or so, it shouldn't cost you anything. Try doing it online now.

FJRider
10th March 2012, 11:33
If they regularly send out a reminder letter, but then fail to do so, I was told by a lawyer that you have some legal comeback under what is termed 'promissory estoppel'. Could be worth referencing for any future issues.

But if their records show a reminder WAS sent, no comeback applies. As it was out of their hands if it was not recieved.

Short of them sending such reminders in registered mail ... proof of non-receit of mail is difficult.

Coldrider
10th March 2012, 11:33
why would you register it, just to put it on hold?

You can put an expired rego on hold, depending when it expires depends how much you pay to bring it up to date. I think if its within two months or so, it shouldn't cost you anything. Try doing it online now.60 days it can be expired and put on hold with no backdating. The three month minimum hold starts from the date actually put on hold.

Deano
10th March 2012, 11:43
But if their records show a reminder WAS sent, no comeback applies. As it was out of their hands if it was not recieved.

Short of them sending such reminders in registered mail ... proof of non-receit of mail is difficult.

True, but the statement from the NZTA was "the letter is a courtesy, not an obligation'.
Whereas if the promissory estoppel is a valid point, they are obliged to continue to send reminders.

Fast Eddie
10th March 2012, 11:52
not that I like parting with my money, but gotta say I get regular letters from the transport agency, they always remind me when my rego is about to expire or if one is coming off hold..

guess you gotta make sure they have your address for starters. I think its fairly automated these days.

or at least, good for me.. they remind me so I only pay what I owe and don't feel too hard done by like some haha..

still don't like paying though..

GingerMidget
10th March 2012, 11:58
60 days it can be expired and put on hold with no backdating. The three month minimum hold starts from the date actually put on hold.

I know this.

FJRider
10th March 2012, 12:05
True, but the statement from the NZTA was "the letter is a courtesy, not an obligation'.
Whereas if the promissory estoppel is a valid point, they are obliged to continue to send reminders.

As the "reminders" are computer generated, and automated. Would you not bet one was sent. Pay what is owed ... on move on ... muttering ...

Or spend money on a lawyer ... ??? over 3 months rego ... ???

Dodgy
12th March 2012, 11:04
Just get over it and learn for next time. I put a note on my calendar as a reminder and then do it online for two of the bikes. Honestly, it is your responsibility to be organised and make sure that you are not caught out.

baffa
12th March 2012, 12:02
[/B]
But hey if you feel it right to pay for services you are not using, feel free to pay me 60$/hr for the IT support I am not supplying you. Tell you what special deal just for you, $45k and you get a years support, thats a saving of 480,600$ you can't say thats not a good deal

Lets break down your argument. If your vehicle is in the garage, you should make sure your rego is still on hold. Oh wait, that's right, the OP didnt. If I paid you to provide me IT support, then forgot to tell you to stop, then I would have to pay you for the extra work you did. Even if you didnt remind me that you were still working away in the background.

However, I dont want to let common sense get in the way of people complaining about "The Man"

oneofsix
12th March 2012, 12:32
Lets break down your argument. If your vehicle is in the garage, you should make sure your rego is still on hold. Oh wait, that's right, the OP didnt. If I paid you to provide me IT support, then forgot to tell you to stop, then I would have to pay you for the extra work you did. Even if you didnt remind me that you were still working away in the background.

However, I dont want to let common sense get in the way of people complaining about "The Man"

Think you got that back to front. To use your example if you employed someone to provide IT support, paid for the time and then suspended it for a year, wouldn't you get a bit pissed off if after 2 years they charged you for 12 months IT support without you using their service or them telling you that the suspension had expired and they now considered they were providing the support facility?

psykonosis
12th March 2012, 12:34
It can be very easy to forget when your bike is coming off hold. Catches many a people out. If you're gonna put your bike on hold, pencil it into a calendar or make a note or something rather than relying on the NZTA to "remind you" that it's coming up. I wouldn't trust it. Could save you $$ next time

Scuba_Steve
12th March 2012, 13:03

are you even reading what you are saying?
A vehicle in the garage (especially one in pieces) is NOT using the services they are charging you for. Whereas if you hire me "until further notice" you would be benefiting from a service I AM providing you regardless of if you still wanted it

The vehicle licencing system is currently setup to extort money, the NZTA are as the title says "money grubbing swine".

baffa
12th March 2012, 13:06
Think you got that back to front. To use your example if you employed someone to provide IT support, paid for the time and then suspended it for a year, wouldn't you get a bit pissed off if after 2 years they charged you for 12 months IT support without you using their service or them telling you that the suspension had expired and they now considered they were providing the support facility?

Yeah it's not a great comparison. The point with rego is that if you wish to temporarily put your vehicle on hold, you must tell them for how long. If you hold it for 3 months, after 3 months you have to pay rego again unless you arrange something new. They are nice enough to send a reminder towards the end of the 3 months, but it doesnt matter if they do or dont, you are responsible for registering your own vehicle. I know of plenty of people who had no issue putting project cars on hold for a year, I dont see the drama.

If you wish to permanantly keep the vehicle off the road, you can do that too. There's only one small problem with that, the insane fees you have to pay to relicense it.

baffa
12th March 2012, 13:07
are you even reading what you are saying?
A vehicle in the garage (especially one in pieces) is NOT using the services they are charging you for. Whereas if you hire me "until further notice" you would be benefiting from a service I AM providing you regardless of if you still wanted it

The vehicle licencing system is currently setup to extort money, the NZTA are as the title says "money grubbing swine".

Quick Q: Are all your vehicles road registered?

Scuba_Steve
12th March 2012, 13:09
Quick Q: Are all your vehicles road registered?

Quick A: no

oneofsix
12th March 2012, 13:17
Yeah it's not a great comparison. The point with rego is that if you wish to temporarily put your vehicle on hold, you must tell them for how long. If you hold it for 3 months, after 3 months you have to pay rego again unless you arrange something new. They are nice enough to send a reminder towards the end of the 3 months, but it doesnt matter if they do or dont, you are responsible for registering your own vehicle. I know of plenty of people who had no issue putting project cars on hold for a year, I dont see the drama.

If you wish to permanantly keep the vehicle off the road, you can do that too. There's only one small problem with that, the insane fees you have to pay to relicense it.

But why must I tell then how long? If I'm fixing it I wont no how long. You mean they covered their money grubbing by writing the law that way when they went to continuous registration because before hand you could put it on indefinite hold and now they have the law that way they make it your problem to track the hold even though they have the systems, information and the interest which you don't. Another case of offloading the problem to those least able to deal with it and then blame them when they fail. It isn't a case of being nice enough to send a reminder, if they want to start charging then they should HAVE to send the reminder.
BTW you owe me $400 for me service, :Oops: did I forget to send you reminder? Oh well it is only a nice to have friendly service I provide in sending a reminder, you have to tell me if you don't require my service.

FJRider
12th March 2012, 13:25
A vehicle in the garage (especially one in pieces) is NOT using the services they are charging you for.

The vehicle isn't ... you are (did) ... You used the services to put it on hold for a set period of time. You knew how long that period was for. And ... if you were aware of the rules of the system (and not just assumed what they were) you may have taken more notice of the first reminder when it arrived in your letterbox.

That system you complain of ... has been in force for some time now. And is it not your fault, for not being aware of all the rules in it.
As with all other "Rules of the system" ... ignorance of them ... is no excuse, if penaltys are applied for failing to follow them.

baffa
12th March 2012, 13:26
You're right, you shouldnt have to tell them how long. Problem is, too many people put their vehicles on hold indefinitely, even when they will still be used for road use. Thanks to the idiocy of the general public, we have tighter restrictions.

Just like how rego increases will continue because people like ss feel the need to flout the system whilst the rest of us pay.

oneofsix
12th March 2012, 13:33
You're right, you shouldnt have to tell them how long. Problem is, too many people put their vehicles on hold indefinitely, even when they will still be used for road use. Thanks to the idiocy of the general public, we have tighter restrictions.

Just like how rego increases will continue because people like ss feel the need to flout the system whilst the rest of us pay.

Are you one of those that advocate punishing all rather than going after those that are to blame?

But isn't that mixing it up? What the difference between putting it on 6 months hold for the winter and then riding it verses putting it on indefinite hold?

End result of the present system is to punish those that need to put it on indefinite hold for legitimate reasons but does nothing to address those riding whilst their rego is on hold. By punishing those that have legitimate reason it breeds resentment, as per the title, and encourages abuse of the system thereby defeating their aim.

baffa
12th March 2012, 13:54
I dont think my point is all that difficult.

Road registering isnt optional. It is mandatory. Flouting the system shits in the face of everyone else who pays the money and follows the rules. If you dont like the system, and tbh I dont blame you, then find a way to change it, or find somewhere else to live.

I dont like the cost of fuel. Maybe I should stop paying for it.

FJRider
12th March 2012, 13:55
Are you one of those that advocate punishing all rather than going after those that are to blame?

I would think ... he is correctly stating why. Not advocating any such thing.

But isn't that mixing it up? What the difference between putting it on 6 months hold for the winter and then riding it verses putting it on indefinite hold?

If you put it on hold for six months specified ... you can expect that after six months, rego fee's will be required. (unless you choose to extend the "hold" period)

Simple eh ... !!!

End result of the present system is to punish those that need to put it on indefinite hold for legitimate reasons but does nothing to address those riding whilst their rego is on hold. By punishing those that have legitimate reason it breeds resentment, as per the title, and encourages abuse of the system thereby defeating their aim.

If "punishment" is going into a Post shop and filling out another form ... is it that harsh ... ???

With the present system ... Only lazyness and stupidity is "punished" ...

Scuba_Steve
12th March 2012, 14:08
I dont think my point is all that difficult.

Road registering isnt optional. It is mandatory. Flouting the system shits in the face of everyone else who pays the money and follows the rules. If you dont like the system, and tbh I dont blame you, then find a way to change it, or find somewhere else to live.

I dont like the cost of fuel. Maybe I should stop paying for it.

But no-one here is "flouting" the system, people are just sick of being financially raped by the NZTA. This is about NOT using a vehicle on-road but being forced to pay for it, nothing about using a vehicle you are not paying for.

pete376403
12th March 2012, 14:08
[QUOTE=FJRider;1130279452]I would think ... he is correctly stating why. Not advocating any such thing.

If you put it on hold for six months specified ... you can expect that after six months, rego fee's will be required. (unless you choose to extend the "hold" period)

Simple eh ... !!!

If "punishment" is going into a Post shop and filling out another form ... is it that harsh ... ??? [QUOTE]
Don't have to go to the Post Shop, you can do it online. Have had my 1100 on hold for 4 years now, have never recieved a reminder (and have been at the same address for over 20 years).
Set up your PC to schedule a reminder is easy enough.

red mermaid
12th March 2012, 14:15
Nah, some people find it much easier to blame their own shortcomings onto someone else.

[QUOTE=FJRider;1130279452]I would think ... he is correctly stating why. Not advocating any such thing.

Simple eh ... !!!

If "punishment" is going into a Post shop and filling out another form ... is it that harsh ... ??? [QUOTE]
Don't have to go to the Post Shop, you can do it online. Have had my 1100 on hold for 4 years now, have never recieved a reminder (and have been at the same address for over 20 years).

FJRider
12th March 2012, 14:23

Shit ... some people can't even do quotes in these forums properly ... :facepalm:

oneofsix
12th March 2012, 14:29
Nah, some people find it much easier to blame their own shortcomings onto someone else.

I would think ... he is correctly stating why. Not advocating any such thing.

Simple eh ... !!!

If "punishment" is going into a Post shop and filling out another form ... is it that harsh ... ???

not sure where your argument starts and where the quote ends but it looks like typical enforcement mentality and nothing to do with justice and fairness.
:shifty:

baffa
12th March 2012, 14:29
But no-one here is "flouting" the system, people are just sick of being financially raped by the NZTA. This is about NOT using a vehicle on-road but being forced to pay for it, nothing about using a vehicle you are not paying for.

Personally I'm sick of their tardy road maintenance. Perhaps I should put my rego on hold everytime I go over a pothole as a form of protest.

Scuba_Steve
12th March 2012, 14:33
Personally I'm sick of their tardy road maintenance. Perhaps I should put my rego on hold everytime I go over a pothole as a form of protest.

if you feel the need, don't worry me none.

cc rider
12th March 2012, 14:37
Oh Please... :violin: :violin: Don't re-rego your vehicle within 3 mths of Due Date & you have to get a NEW Roadworthy Cert done (at your $$) AND your rego still back dates to it original Due By Date. :facepalm:

Suck them fumes kids :laugh: :cry:

Greetings from the Country that you Govt follows <_<

... We have to have minimum of a bike learners & 'RecReg' (recreational Registration) on the bike to ride legally in the bush. :bleh:

Continue sucking kiddlies

cc rider
12th March 2012, 14:48
Personally I'm sick of their tardy road maintenance. Perhaps I should put my rego on hold everytime I go over a pothole as a form of protest.We get charged a 'Levy' every time paying Rego. It's claimed to go towards Motorcycle 'stuff' on the roads. Cars, trucks or any other road user doesn't have to pay it... I think it's cause we're Speical :weird:

FJRider
12th March 2012, 15:08
... This is about NOT using a vehicle on-road but being forced to pay for it, nothing about using a vehicle you are not paying for.

No ... this about a whinge ... about somebody that failed to follow all the steps in a due legal process ... and then found it was gong to cost them money to sort it.

davereid
12th March 2012, 17:36
Actually, continuous vehicle licensing was introduced to stop a perceived loss of income by ACC. The old system allowed you to simply stop paying a licence fee when the vehicle was not being used.

People now have to be un-licenced for a minimum of 3 months, so ACC are actually worse off, as the guy cribbing a week or so has been replaced with someone who takes three months.

Some people get seriously fd over by the new system so have developed a hatred of the NZTA, who are actually just doing the bidding of ACC.

And the NZTA spend $18,000,000 a year managing it for ACC who don't actually pay a cent for the admin of a very expensive system.

Lose Lose really. Govenment at its best. Lucky I don't pay it.

GingerMidget
12th March 2012, 21:07
Yet another charming fact.

Do it online, You receive a comfirmation email.

Do it in person, you get a little tear off slip that SHOULD state the date of exemption expiry.

You now have physical evidence of when the hold expires. If you fail to make note of this, and then get charged money because you don't re-exmpt or register it in time, this is your fault. Don't get angry at the poor person on the phone or behind the counter, their job is to process transactions. Not fix your personal screw ups.

I speak as an agent. Not as an NZTA employee, so don't even bother starting on me. I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

Swoop
13th March 2012, 08:21
If they threaten debt collection send them an urgent letter or email saying you dispute the charge.
Doing that is supposed to get you one month of leeway so that negotiations can occur. From a recent involvement with baycorp and a financial institution (not mine, thankfully) baycorp completely ignore this "in dispute" moratorium period and simply continue with their verbal tirade.

It was quite pleasant fucking over baycorp, however.

You're right, you shouldnt have to tell them how long. Problem is, too many people put their vehicles on hold indefinitely, even when they will still be used for road use.
I had a discussion with a very nice lady at the registration office, who stated "just put it on hold for a period of one year" as being the most sensible solution. If you wish to ride a bike, just register it from that time onwards.

actungbaby
13th March 2012, 11:16
I made a big mistake with that recently, with my first bike when I took it off the road, me being the noob that I was, didn't realise that you have to put it on hold or they will still charge you for all rego that happens to accumulate.

Same lucky me got a letter from some Debt company demanding $320or so. for 1 yrs rego for a car that I wasn't even using and there isn't a way out of it either.

Bastards.

you where lucky like me i go letter then court demaned the rego for year and never used the car then got check to demand 500.00 to get wof again what rip of..

Thats on my wee mazda mx5 i should got mine on hold lost my job 2 years no rego know big fee to get it

checked at vtnz and always gone there never failed wof know like 500.00 please

Zedder
13th March 2012, 11:23
you where lucky like me i go letter then court demaned the rego for year and never used the car then got check to demand 500.00 to get wof again what rip of..

Thats on my wee mazda mx5 i should got mine on hold lost my job 2 years no rego know big fee to get it

checked at vtnz and always gone there never failed wof know like 500.00 please

Could someone decipher/translate that please.

Bassmatt
13th March 2012, 11:39

I think he is saying that they wouldnt issue a wof until he had paid the $500 of "unpaid rego" for the car he didnt put on hold while it was off the road.....I could be wrong tho. I dont ususally bother trying to dechiper his posts.

FJRider
13th March 2012, 11:41
I think he is saying that they wouldnt issue a wof until he had paid the $500 of "unpaid rego" for the car he didnt put on hold while it was off the road.....I could be wrong tho. I dont ususally bother trying to dechiper his posts.

But you need a WOF to buy the rego ???

Scuba_Steve
13th March 2012, 12:28

I believe what is being said is, rego elapsed (not on-hold) so he got hit up for the money by NZTA & for him to re-licence the vehicle he has to go thorough the re-registration process hence the "500$ WOF" as it's not the straight WOF

davereid
13th March 2012, 13:16
not sure where your argument starts and where the quote ends but it looks like typical enforcement mentality and nothing to do with justice and fairness.
:shifty:

Thats exactly what continuous vehicle licencing is all about.

Its just an attack on the poor or uneducated.

The wealthy can afford to be licensed all the time. The educated know how to get around the system, and will manage it by putting vehicles on hold, flicking owners or vehicle classes.

But the poor uneducated man can't afford to relicense. He doesn't know he has to apply to not relicense, so he doesn't do it.

A year later his vehicle is de-registered, he is listed as a bad debtor at baycorp, and if he wants to get his vehicle back legally on the road he faces a complicated and expensive battle.

Fortunately its only the poor and weak that fall in the trap.

Fast Eddie
13th March 2012, 13:29
The educated know how to get around the system, and will manage it by putting vehicles on hold, flicking owners or vehicle classes.

being uneducated, I'd like to know more about these said ways..

haha I have bikes on hold and they tell me I have to have it on hold for a minimum of 3 months or i have to pay back to when it expired.. which is a bit of a pain, I'd reregister within 3 months sometimes if I could.

Ocean1
13th March 2012, 14:06
What I want to know is how you register a bike with no WOF, and no liklihood of getting one in the near future.

Or even how to put it on hold, without the WOF...

Y'see? Y'fckud, can't avoid the cost and can't pay for the service I'm not getting either.

Zedder
13th March 2012, 14:17
I believe what is being said is, rego elapsed (not on-hold) so he got hit up for the money by NZTA & for him to re-licence the vehicle he has to go thorough the re-registration process hence the "500$ WOF" as it's not the straight WOF

'On ya Scube.

Bassmatt
13th March 2012, 14:23
So if you need a wof to get a rego, and while your vehicle is unregistered you didnt continue to renew your wof, then how can they charge you for a rego that you couldn't have because you didnt have a wof??

?

oneofsix
13th March 2012, 14:29
So if you need a wof to get a rego, and while your vehicle is unregistered you didnt continue to renew your wof, then how can they charge you for a rego that you couldn't have because you didnt have a wof??

?

and what's more they knew you didn't have a WOF so had no intention of registering the vehicle because it is all recorded in their database. therefore logically the vehicle was still on hold and the demand for $ is demanding money on false pretences with menace (threat of Baycorp etc).
Which again brings us back to the title of the thread.

Gremlin
13th March 2012, 14:33
Coz it's a government department of course! :sunny:

Bassmatt
13th March 2012, 14:45
Coz it's a government department of course! :sunny:

Not that I would know, but it seems like legally shaky ground to me.

Scuba_Steve
13th March 2012, 15:10
Thats exactly what continuous vehicle licencing is all about.

Its just an attack on the poor or uneducated.

The wealthy can afford to be licensed all the time. The educated know how to get around the system, and will manage it by putting vehicles on hold, flicking owners or vehicle classes.

But the poor uneducated man can't afford to relicense. He doesn't know he has to apply to not relicense, so he doesn't do it.

A year later his vehicle is de-registered, he is listed as a bad debtor at baycorp, and if he wants to get his vehicle back legally on the road he faces a complicated and expensive battle.

shame it's these same "uneducated" folk that fix these same cars when they break... and people wonder why mechanics cost so much & manage to find faults that weren't there :innocent:

HenryDorsetCase
13th March 2012, 16:24

the only trouble is that they have time on their hands and they know about the welfare state so they spend their time breeding the next generation of "disadvantaged" who I support with my taxes. Thats OK though, I've got heaps of money and feel I need to do my bit.

Subike
13th March 2012, 16:54
So mush ado about something so simple that even I can understand it and use it properly
I researched the rules
I own a Bike, It is my responsibility to keep is legally in the registration system
That bike is on license hold and has been so continuously for the past 7 years
I have move lodgings 4 times in that 7 years, each time I was responsible and notified them of the change of address
Thus I got reminders the due date for license exemption was about to expire, 3 weeks in advance.
Now it takes 10 min max to do it on line, My responsibility.
I also license this same bike for a week at a time when I want to use it,
I use an MR27 form to do so, and the evening after I license it for 7 days, I put it back on exception for 12mths.
This keeps the registration alive.
In all I have never had to pay any overdue fees, for the continuous licensing of my bike because I use the exemption system properly.
It has nothing to do with revenue gathering
It design can assist those who do not have big incomes, and cannot afford to pay 12mth license continuously for multiple vehicles.
Ignorance of the the licensing system, and the exemption system seems to be the biggest fault I read in this thread.

I actually have two bikes now on license exemption, so their registration is safe.
I use to have 7 vehicles on exemption, and always got reminders when the exemptions were due to expire

All the information re exemption and licensing and vehicle registration is freely available to all,
Even the uneducated like me can find out what to do, and beneficiaries if they are not lazy have plenty of free time to do so

davereid
14th March 2012, 05:42
It design can assist those who do not have big incomes, and cannot afford to pay 12mth license continuously for multiple vehicles.

We used to have a simpler system. When your vehicle licence lapsed, you stopped using you vehicle on the road. You could go and buy a new licence at any time. It assisted those who did not have big incomes a lot more than the new system, which a casula observer could say is designed to catch the unwary, and liberate money from them.

No one has every been able to explain to me why we need continuous vehicle licensing.

They say people used to drive an unlicensed vehicle under the old system. Hmm I know for sure that hasn't changed.
They say people used to steal a month here and there, as the old label did not show the expiry day. The new label has fixed that.

One thing we do know. The new system costs a lot of people a lot of annoyance, and it cost millions and millions to administer.

On the bright side we are kiwis. So we will never actually change it.

oneofsix
14th March 2012, 05:54
So mush ado about something so simple that even I can understand it and use it properly
I researched the rules
I own a Bike, It is my responsibility to keep is legally in the registration system
That bike is on license hold and has been so continuously for the past 7 years
I have move lodgings 4 times in that 7 years, each time I was responsible and notified them of the change of address
Thus I got reminders the due date for license exemption was about to expire, 3 weeks in advance.
Now it takes 10 min max to do it on line, My responsibility.
I also license this same bike for a week at a time when I want to use it,
I use an MR27 form to do so, and the evening after I license it for 7 days, I put it back on exception for 12mths.
In all I have never had to pay any overdue fees, for the continuous licensing of my bike because I use the exemption system properly.
Ignorance of the the licensing system, and the exemption system seems to be the biggest fault I read in this thread.

I actually have two bikes now on license exemption, so their registration is safe.
I use to have 7 vehicles on exemption, and always got reminders when the exemptions were due to expire

All the information re exemption and licensing and vehicle registration is freely available to all,
Even the uneducated like me can find out what to do, and beneficiaries if they are not lazy have plenty of free time to do so

Why? have you asked yourself that simple question? When they have all the power and systems and know where you live, when you moved, when you own the bike, when your registration exemption is expiring and it is them that want the tax, so why?

oneofsix
14th March 2012, 05:56
We used to have a simpler system. When your vehicle licence lapsed, you stopped using you vehicle on the road. You could go and buy a new licence at any time. It assisted those who did not have big incomes a lot more than the new system, which a casula observer could say is designed to catch the unwary, and liberate money from them.

No one has every been able to explain to me why we need continuous vehicle licensing.

They say people used to drive an unlicensed vehicle under the old system. Hmm I know for sure that hasn't changed.
They say people used to steal a month here and there, as the old label did not show the expiry day. The new label has fixed that.

One thing we do know. The new system costs a lot of people a lot of annoyance, and it cost millions and millions to administer.

On the bright side we are kiwis. So we will never actually change it.

Quite right because we are Kiwis we will say she'll be right and make apologise for a failed system (like subike and others), try to patch it up with our virtual No 8 wire and bury our head in the amber liquid.

Dodgy
14th March 2012, 08:28
T

My god, well if someone is so uneducated that they are not capable of understanding this simple transaction (which as I recall is outlined with the reminder notice) - should they even be allowed to posess a motorcycle licence?

oneofsix
14th March 2012, 08:40
My god, well if someone is so uneducated that they are not capable of understanding this simple transaction (which as I recall is outlined with the reminder notice) - should they even be allowed to posess a motorcycle licence?

Capable of understanding it but too busy worrying about feeding the family and paying the rent to give a toss. They have put it on hold too long ago to remember and the key thing on their mind is its broken. The NZTA have the big powerful computers to know when its due and they are the ones that want the money. Quite simple really.

Dodgy
14th March 2012, 09:27
Well, it all comes down to personal responsibility I guess. If I dont sort out reminding myself to go online and get an exemption, then I end up paying for my oversight. Sorta like brushing my teeth and wiping my arse - personal responsibility

Swoop
14th March 2012, 11:37
...they tell me I have to have it on hold for a minimum of 3 months or i have to pay back to when it expired.
Hence the better option of putting on hold for a period of 12 months.

What I want to know is how you register a bike with no WOF, and no liklihood of getting one in the near future.
A: Photoshop.:blip:

davereid
14th March 2012, 17:59

It was a simpler transaction and hurt no one, and saved millions in management when you just purchased the registration you needed.

This comes from the BDSM school of management. Its loved by fetishists the world over. Im sure the NZTA are experts.

You may go in the Kitchen if you are not wearing panties or shoes. You may go in the hall only if you are wearing high heels. You must apply for a permit to go to the toilet. Permits are valid for three minutes. If you need to go to the toilet but you are in the kitchen you must go to the bedroom to get your high heels. To go in the bedroom you need a collar. Its stored in the shed.

Violators punished.

Luckily no one would be too uneducated, or god forbid too concerned about other things to fail to understand and obey such simple rules.

Fast Eddie
15th March 2012, 15:00
Hence the better option of putting on hold for a period of 12 months.

hmm yea what I understood from the guy at the AA was no matter what length u choose, 3, 6, 9 or 12 months on hold. the bike reg must be on hold for a minimum of 3 months otherwise if u try and re-reg before the min 3 months is up u pay from back when the reg expired in the firstplace. so having it on hold for only a month or 2 months or 2 and 9/10ths month is not possible, in order to not have to pay for the rego for when the bike is off the road u have to keep it off the road for 3 months and 1 day.

just what the AA dude was drilling into me.

my situation was i only wanted to put it on hold for 4-6 weeks during engine rebuild. apparently not possible. either i pay for the month and a half its not on the road, or I keep it off the road for 3 months min

Scuba_Steve
15th March 2012, 15:08
hmm yea what I understood from the guy at the AA was no matter what length u choose, 3, 6, 9 or 12 months on hold. the bike reg must be on hold for a minimum of 3 months otherwise if u try and re-reg before the min 3 months is up u pay from back when the reg expired in the firstplace. so having it on hold for only a month or 2 months or 2 and 9/10ths month is not possible, in order to not have to pay for the rego for when the bike is off the road u have to keep it off the road for 3 months and 1 day.

just what the AA dude was drilling into me.

yep and it's only in 3 month bursts, so if you did take it off for 12 months but wanted to bring it back on at 5 months you'll be backdated to the 3 month period, and forced to pay the 2 months after you never used. The system is straight up extortion

Bassmatt
15th March 2012, 15:35
my situation was i only wanted to put it on hold for 4-6 weeks during engine rebuild. apparently not possible. either i pay for the month and a half its not on the road, or I keep it off the road for 3 months min

Or ride it for 6 weeks with no rego and give NZTA a big fuck you. :headbang:

Subike
15th March 2012, 16:43
yep and it's only in 3 month bursts, so if you did take it off for 12 months but wanted to bring it back on at 5 months you'll be backdated to the 3 month period, and forced to pay the 2 months after you never used. The system is straight up extortion

sorry wrong
put vehicle on hold for 12 mths,
any time AFTER the first three months the license will run from that day
any time After the last day of the license, and BEFORE the 3 mth min time,
back license fees are payable to last date of the former licence,
thus the term continuous license if NOT on exemption.
Putting the vehicle license on hold via the exemption system, ensures that the registration does not lapse.
If as stated above you put said vehicle on exemption for 12 mths,
then license it after 5 mths
the license will go from that date, not backdated.

_Shrek_
15th March 2012, 17:18
sorry wrong
Putting the vehicle license on hold via the exemption system, ensures that the registration does not lapse.

aye right on the money there Subike, we do that here

Scuba_Steve
15th March 2012, 19:10
sorry wrong

then those NZTA wankers tried to rip me off... again

Coldrider
15th March 2012, 22:06
then those NZTA wankers tried to rip me off... againCounter jockeys (nice people normally) at the post shop agencies, bookshop agencies etc don't necessarily have all the 'product' knowlege. So you have to be sure yourself, or go to VTNZ.

Subike
15th March 2012, 22:13
Counter jockeys (nice people normally) at the post shop agencies, bookshop agencies etc don't necessarily have all the 'product' knowlege. So you have to be sure yourself, or go to VTNZ.

very much what he said
cant remember how many disputes I have had using an MR27 form

Scuba_Steve
16th March 2012, 07:58
Counter jockeys (nice people normally) at the post shop agencies, bookshop agencies etc don't necessarily have all the 'product' knowlege. So you have to be sure yourself, or go to VTNZ.

It was the VTNZ followed by the LTNZ (as they were back then) 1st line phone "support" I got the info from.
Not a big deal tho, I just told 'em to get fucked & cruised round the extra time while on hold until they were prepared to give me a vehicle licence without backdating.

Coldrider
16th March 2012, 16:08
What I haven't tried yet is putting a rego on hold, say for three months, then extending the hold period.
I'm guessing if the hold expires and I put back on hold, a minimum three month period would apply.
If I extend the hold period before it expires, I could try for a two month extension, or maybe that cannot be done. Just thinking out loud.

GingerMidget
16th March 2012, 16:19
What I haven't tried yet is putting a rego on hold, say for three months, then extending the hold period.
I'm guessing if the hold expires and I put back on hold, a minimum three month period would apply.
If I extend the hold period before it expires, I could try for a two month extension, or maybe that cannot be done. Just thinking out loud.

You are correct in the 3 month minimum. Just do it for a year if you are feeling like it might need to be extended. There are no penalties after the 3 months is up if you do for longer than 3 months.

scracha
16th March 2012, 21:59

Spoken like a true bluerocrat. If the boys in blue could do their job properly and actually CATCH vehicles with expired registrations then the majority of us law abiding citizens wouldn't have to adhere to this continuous licensing shite. If I charge someone an annual fee, I at least send them a pro forma invoice PRIOR out of sheer bloody courtesy and then a couple of reminders before debt collectors are involved. To send out a "bill" via baycorp many months after a license expires is plainly a racket.

Wipe nose??...you must be fucking joking....what with 2 cars to remember to wof and rego, racebike to put on hold, roadbike to licence or put on hold depending on finances, 4wd similarly...(usually on fuckin hold as it's nearly 600 bucks), council rates, environmental rates, dog rego, etc etc. New Zealand is becoming just like the "treasure island" I got the fuck out of 8 years ago.

Incidentally...carjam offers a FREE email reminder service for expired rego's and exemptions. Funny NZTA couldn't manage that. Surely they wouldn't be deliberately making a few bob on the side from innocent motorists?

Thank you OP as due to reading this thread I've jumped on carjam to find out that my racebike "exemption" expired just over a month ago. Subsequently put the thing back on hold.

Now does anyone know how I can pay the 36 days backtax licensing fee to the fuckers without incurring some baycrap additional penalty fee? I can imaging the fun I'll have going to the post office on Monday to try and pay this.

jasonu
17th March 2012, 05:23
so mush ado about something so simple that even i can understand it and use it properly
i researched the rules
i own a bike, it is my responsibility to keep is legally in the registration system
that bike is on license hold and has been so continuously for the past 7 years
i have move lodgings 4 times in that 7 years, each time i was responsible and notified them of the change of address
thus i got reminders the due date for license exemption was about to expire, 3 weeks in advance.
Now it takes 10 min max to do it on line, my responsibility.
I also license this same bike for a week at a time when i want to use it,
i use an mr27 form to do so, and the evening after i license it for 7 days, i put it back on exception for 12mths.
In all i have never had to pay any overdue fees, for the continuous licensing of my bike because i use the exemption system properly.
it design can assist those who do not have big incomes, and cannot afford to pay 12mth license continuously for multiple vehicles.
Ignorance of the the licensing system, and the exemption system seems to be the biggest fault i read in this thread.

all the information re exemption and licensing and vehicle registration is freely available to all,
even the uneducated like me can find out what to do, and beneficiaries if they are not lazy have plenty of free time to do so

pure genius

Kickaha
17th March 2012, 08:32
Now does anyone know how I can pay the 36 days backtax licensing fee to the fuckers without incurring some baycrap additional penalty fee? I can imaging the fun I'll have going to the post office on Monday to try and pay this.

If you do an online exemption it won't let you complete it inless you pay the outstanding amount which you can do online with a credit card at the same time

Subike
17th March 2012, 09:52
If you do an online exemption it won't let you complete it inless you pay the outstanding amount which you can do online with a credit card at the same time

Caution
Using a credit card, they will do the transaction, but also have the card details,
and on the anniversary of the account, can debit the account again for you next fee if due,
legal, as it is monies owed by you to them
Use a debit card, which is basically the same, but you control what you spend.
Only ever have the amount you need to spend on the card at any time.

scracha
18th March 2012, 15:34

Hmm...it let me do it...and I didn't provide credit card details? Maybe they're gonna let me off with the month.......as if.

scracha
18th March 2012, 15:36
Caution
Using a credit card, they will do the transaction, but also have the card details,
and on the anniversary of the account, can debit the account again for you next fee if due,

Not legal AFAIK. You haven't agreed to them holding your details nor recurring billing. I have a couple of folks owe me money...I have their credit card details but I certainly can't just take money out their credit cards.

GingerMidget
18th March 2012, 19:27
Caution

Load of shit. I paid mine for 3 months using a credit card, and didn't get charged when it was due on the same card.

mr matt
30th April 2012, 15:48
so if you were to register vehicles in a company, then if by mistake you miss the exemption, sell out the bike to someone else then wind up the company? hmmm... could be more hassle than its worth

shanks
25th May 2012, 09:59
Hey guys,

I had put my hornet on 3 months hold last month, but now that the bike is fixed im keen to get back on the road.

Since my hold has only been for a month, it will backdate to original if I register it now. Else I have to wait another two months.

However I read here on KB that I can change the ownership and it wouldnt backdate to the original date of expiry. So could I change the ownership to say my dad who doesnt ride or have a bike licence?

G4L4XY
25th May 2012, 10:22
^^ wow one month seriously?

My bike has been in the shop for 2 months! Rego lapsed, I received an overdue letter..I didn't put it on hold because I was waiting to see if it was even going to be fixable, since I've learnt it is I have to sacrifice TWO months so im only going to get one months worth of riding when i pay a 3 months rego, may as well get 6 months

G4L4XY
25th May 2012, 10:28
If I did put it on hold for 3 months MINIMUM then i'd still have to backpay it when i put it back on the road before the three months

Either that or wait till the 3 months ended but now it's too late.

nodrog
25th May 2012, 10:35
Somebody should start a protest I reckon.

willytheekid
25th May 2012, 10:42
Somebody should start a protest I reckon.

YEAH!!...cos the last time we protested it went really really well :facepalm:
http://www.wackynwild.com/fdt_images/26-funny-protest-signs25-1297256834.jpg

nodrog
25th May 2012, 10:51
YEAH!!...cos the last time we protested it went really really well :facepalm:

That was before Sons of Anarchy was invented, motorcyclists are much more Badass these days.

willytheekid
25th May 2012, 12:18
That was before Sons of Anarchy was invented, motorcyclists are much more Badass these days.

I knew we was bad arse now!...count me in you sexy biatch:love:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jWNhyMUpjSE/SNRCtZQSGlI/AAAAAAAABFI/P6B65BhAw-M/s400/imagesgoing-20green-20is-20not-20bad-20ass.jpg

...Fuckers won't DARE mess with us! (please note my new shiny pink tassels...I picked the flowers just for you!)

cheshirecat
25th May 2012, 18:49
If it gets nicked the clock resets, or did when my four wheels was nicked and found again intact

GingerMidget
26th May 2012, 19:17
Hey guys,

I had put my hornet on 3 months hold last month, but now that the bike is fixed im keen to get back on the road.

Since my hold has only been for a month, it will backdate to original if I register it now. Else I have to wait another two months.

However I read here on KB that I can change the ownership and it wouldnt backdate to the original date of expiry. So could I change the ownership to say my dad who doesnt ride or have a bike licence?

The hold stays in its current status no matter who owns it. The weather is about to turn to arse anyway, use the hold as a reason to stay warm.

Silage
26th May 2012, 21:07
Just in case the above isn't clear:
- You can put your License on hold for periods of 3, 6, 9 or 12 months (you choose)
- Whatever period you choose, if you relicense the vehicle in under 3 months from when the hold started, you have to pay for that time as well as what period you then get from the relicense date
- If you put it on hold for 6, 9 or 12 months, you can relicense at any time after 3 months without any payment for the period on hold ie you don't have to know how long you want to have it on hold when you put it on hold. So you might as well always choose a 12 month hold period.
- Before the hold period is completed, you can extend the hold for another period of 3, 6, 9 or 12 months (again it is always best to select 12 months). You do not need a current WoF to extend the hold period and it can be done on line.

I have had two bikes on hold continuously now for 14 years (renewed every year) and now have my 1200 on hold. I thought that the MR27 could be used to select any relicense period from 1 day to 15 months and only pay for that time (provided has been on hold at least 3 months). Thanks Subike for confirming this. Just have to remember to put the bike back on hold before license period expires.

Can any one confirm this: if you sell a bike that is on hold to someone else and it is within the first three months of the hold period, do you have to pay that period of license fee?

Subike
26th May 2012, 21:24
Can any one confirm this: if you sell a bike that is on hold to someone else and it is within the first three months of the hold period, do you have to pay that period of license fee?

If you buy a vehicle that is on hold, and do the change of ownership that day, then you only pay from the date of the change of ownership.
the previous owner will then be sent an account for the unpaid license fees prior to that date, be it a day or up to 3mths .
Be sure that when buying a vehicle you change the ownership inmediatley.
I recently sold a vehicle that had been on hold for 3 weeks,
the new owner licensed it the day he bought it from me,
I received an account in the mail the following week for the back dated license fees.

GingerMidget
26th May 2012, 21:55
If you buy a vehicle that is on hold, and do the change of ownership that day, then you only pay from the date of the change of ownership.
the previous owner will then be sent an account for the unpaid license fees prior to that date, be it a day or up to 3mths .
Be sure that when buying a vehicle you change the ownership inmediatley.
I recently sold a vehicle that had been on hold for 3 weeks,
the new owner licensed it the day he bought it from me,
I received an account in the mail the following week for the back dated license fees.

How can it have been on hold if you received an invoice for back dated rego?

If its on hold, it stays on hold and nobody gets charged for back dated fees. Trust me on this.

Subike
26th May 2012, 22:00
How can it have been on hold if you received an invoice for back dated rego?

If its on hold, it stays on hold and nobody gets charged for back dated fees. Trust me on this.

so the account I got in the mail was a figment of my imagination
and the ten years of recovering vehicles as a profession, dealing with these issues did not exist
ok
and again it is not registration
it is continuous license
registration is the numberplate affixed to the vehicle at time on compliance for road use and registered in a ledger.

GingerMidget
26th May 2012, 22:24
Registration and continuious licence are the same thing.

If it was on hold, you should not have got an invoice. I've sold cars that have been on hold and not got an invoice, and I deal with this rubbish day in day out. Just quietly, I might know what I'm talking about. If you don't want to pay it, call NZTA and ask them why you got an invoice.

I left my psychic hat at work, so can't tell you what the issue was/is. Sorry.

tri boy
27th May 2012, 13:00
Five bikes on hold.
Exemption expiry dates on a whiteboard in the shed.
Rode two of them this morning,helmetless, up the valley to circulate some oil.
Waved at the neighbours and pootled my horn.
Life is grand laddy:msn-wink:

davereid
27th May 2012, 14:04
Registration and continuious licence are the same thing.... I deal with this rubbish day in day out. Just quietly, I might know what I'm talking about....

No, they are completely different.

Registration is the one off process where the vehicle details - make model, VIN etc etc are entered into the NZTA database and the registered person is associated with the vehicle and its number plates in the motor vehicle register.

Licensing is the process of paying a fee to operate the vehicle on public roads. A vehicle may be registered, but unlicensed. My moped and caravan fall in this category, they are not licensed but are registered, and I am the registered person.

My Harley is registered, and as it is in a class of vehicle that requires continuous licencing, it is "on hold". Which is actually a licence class X, as opposed to the class it would require to be legally used on the road.

Subike
27th May 2012, 14:39

Registration is the one off process where the vehicle details - make model, VIN etc etc are entered into the NZTA database and the registered person is associated with the vehicle and its number plates in the motor vehicle register.

Licensing is the process of paying a fee to operate the vehicle on public roads. A vehicle may be registered, but unlicensed. My moped and caravan fall in this category, they are not licensed but are registered, and I am the registered person.

My Harley is registered, and as it is in a class of vehicle that requires continuous licencing, it is "on hold". Which is actually a licence class X, as opposed to the class it would require to be legally used on the road.

thank you ..:niceone:

thehollowmen
4th June 2012, 14:46
I'm going to throw in my little experience:

I put my vehicle on hold about a year ago, and went to register it to get back on the road. (my car was totalled)

They say I never applied and now I have to prove I put the license on hold. So I've got $500 to pay on top of my next rego. I can't find the little slip of paper for my application.

They only keep paperwork for six weeks. Not six weeks past the end of the paperwork, but six weeks from when the paperwork is processed. Depending on the paper we have at work (and I too work for a govt department) we have 5, 7, 15 and 101 year storage requirements for different paperwork, after the end of paperwork being finished.

I've been 'negotiating' with them for a few weeks now, and much longer and my vehicle will be de-registered.

sil3nt
4th June 2012, 14:57

My Harley is registered, and as it is in a class of vehicle that requires continuous licencing, it is "on hold". Which is actually a licence class X, as opposed to the class it would require to be legally used on the road.But GingerMidget quite clearly stated she knows what she is talking about. Haven't you noticed every post of hers lets everyone know who she works for and that she knows all :rolleyes: :tugger:

CookMySock
4th June 2012, 20:27
"The reminder letter is a courtesy, not an obligation. You have to pay us or it's going to debt collection."If some statutory authority send you reminders, then you can reasonably expect that such a reminder would be sent, and you can reasonably expect to be able to rely on that. They cannot arbitrarily do, and then do not, when it was made clear to you that you could rely on it - that is not reasonable, and therefore not enforceable in a court of law.

It would be different if their terms and conditions made it clear to you that the reminder-issue process was indeed arbitrary and unreliable, and stated outright you should not be relying on it, but this is not the case.

Don't pay the money.

mazz1972
6th June 2012, 16:37
LOL @ this thread

Hubby's trail bike has been road registered for maybe one year out of the ten years he's owned it, and it's been on hold/exemption at all other times.

We've always received reminders of when it's due to be done again. But it's not unheard of that mail goes missing, and if you shift and don't advise the new address, you ain't gonna get a reminder.

When we last shifted a few years ago, I went on to the NZTA website and changed the addresses for all our vehicles online. When I entered one at the time, it came up with a list of all the other vehicles owned by us and I had the option to change them all at once.

It's not rocket science, and ignorance certainly is not bliss...or an excuse in NZTA's eyes.