PDA

View Full Version : So I rode to work today

Mom
8th March 2012, 18:25
Nothing so special in that I agree, but for me it was a considered and thought out decision. I have been having physio on my ankle and it has become very painful and swollen, so much so I have been unable to get my boots on. Today it seemed settled and I did not get up hobbling, so despite the forecast of "showers early, clearing in the afternoon" I decided to take my Millie to work. I have good gear and dont get wet, I dont mind riding in the rain, all good you would think.

Well, I came upon a bit of a problem in the guise of a closed motorway and a detour in place. Also not a worry, that way is actually quite fun. Problems arose when the entire Norf commute traffic also got turned up the detour :pinch: It became a car park. And then it rained. Not just rained but absolutely fair chucked it down. Constant, steady, heavy rain while riding at 7 kmph or stationary makes for a very funny trip to work.

I am just sad enough to find that sort of thing funny. So much so at one point I was stopped and saw a grey wall of rain heading towards me. I put my head down and a huge torrent just ran into my lap. I had my visor open a bit and heard someone else laughing too. Looked to my left and here was a guy sitting in his car with the window down laughing like a drain :lol: When the "wall" had passed I talked to him, makes a commute nice on a bike. He found it very funny I had actually chosen to ride.

I did try the overtake option with some sucess, but I simply cant bring myself to ride over yellow lines, at a couple of points I undertook on the shoulder :pinch: but I discovered I cant actually do that either, far too dangerous for this sissy. The overtaking lane was a mess of pissed off car drivers, hugging the centre line. I found my balls lacking there as well.

So, I did about a million (few hundred) slow hillstarts, and got 2 hours, 2 HOURS, of slow speed manouvering practice :clap: I am now very profficient at riding along at 6 kph. I tells yah that was excellent. I also got practice at hillstarting on terrible cambers and winning :2thumbsup

What really surprised me though, was the number of bikes that thought it ok to ride the shoulder, so frigggen dangerous with all the side roads and cars turning in and out of them. I thought safety in numbers once and followed a couple out, but the hell with that. The wobblers between the cars gave me the complete shits, there was not a free run at all with cars pulling across to stop people from overtaking. Then there were the overtakers over yellow lines bikers.

This was a massive piss off commute for everyone today, I did not mind the ride, I was 2 1/2 hours late for work, would have been more if I was in the car. Many people were getting really pissed off, horns tooting and the like and to see bikes breaking common sense rules and road rules to get through in places they should not have would have wound up a few commuters this morning.

Sadly, when I finally got into work, I discovered that there had been a fatality on the motorway this morning. A motorcyclist.

I am sure there would have been more than a few car drivers commenting that it probably served him/her right if some of the riding witnessed, in appalling weather and terrible traffic was anything to go by.

I would like to thank all the car drivers this morning that were courteous and respectful of me and my Millie, I did wave to anyone that let me in, or hung back to give me space.

sil3nt
8th March 2012, 18:28
The motorway is full of idiots on bikes taking huge risks. I'm with you on being a sissy. Should keep us alive for longer.

FJRider
8th March 2012, 18:37
A warm day here (not hot) ... 20 deg C ... clear blue sky. I'm glad I dont live in Auckland ...

Subike
8th March 2012, 18:51
Good on ya girl
great to see that you enjoyed it
As many riders know,
its the journey, not the destination that appeals to us.
Never pass up a chance to learn new skills, and grid lock obviously is one of those chances.
Next time you will have even more fun in gridlock from the lessons learnt today.

Mom
8th March 2012, 18:51
A warm day here (not hot) ... 20 deg C ... clear blue sky. I'm glad I dont live in Auckland ...

It was warm here too. I am glad I tucked my dress up into my jacket, it was dry when I got to work.

My gear worked mostly. A bit damp of crotch, which pisses me off as the pants are newish (well have had fuck all wear) my hideously old R-jays jacket worked a treat as usual. My hair was wet, my pony tail was out in the rain. My gloves stood up well.

My shoes were wet, they were in my non waterproof ventura pack, as was my purse, cardi :baby: and thermal top.

FJRider
8th March 2012, 19:13
It was warm here too. I am glad I tucked my dress up into my jacket, it was dry when I got to work.

I flatly refuse to wear a dress while riding ... :innocent:

My gear worked mostly. A bit damp of crotch, which pisses me off as the pants are newish (well have had fuck all wear) my hideously old R-jays jacket worked a treat as usual. My hair was wet, my pony tail was out in the rain. My gloves stood up well.

Most riding gear I have ever had ... always seems to channel water directly to the crutch ... :rolleyes: The manufacturers use the term "shower proof" or "water proof" ... not "fucking pissing down" proof. Nikwax spray on may help.

My shoes were wet, they were in my non waterproof ventura pack, as was my purse, cardi :baby: and thermal top.

I now have a Givi top-box. But I used a thick plastic rubbish bag inside my Ventura pack-bag (back when I had one). Stuff never got wet then.

baffa
8th March 2012, 20:07
Good on you Mom.
One less rider on the roads :(

blackdog
8th March 2012, 20:44
It's been a recovery Anne. I hope you can keep riding for a long time yet!

caspernz
8th March 2012, 20:47
The motorway is full of idiots on bikes taking huge risks. I'm with you on being a sissy. Should keep us alive for longer.

+1 :2thumbsup

Newbi
8th March 2012, 20:47
Good on you Mom, you go girl:clap:

steve_t
8th March 2012, 20:52
2 hours?! Is your left forearm like Popeye's?

sil3nt
8th March 2012, 20:53
2 hours?! Is your left forearm like Popeye's?My right is and it has nothing to do with traffic jams

hellokitty
8th March 2012, 21:27
Mom - that detour and closure of motorway was because of the motorbike crash north of Oteha Valley exit :weep:

Mom
9th March 2012, 05:48
2 hours?! Is your left forearm like Popeye's?

No, but I have to admit my hands are a bit sore today :sunny:

We are heading up to Ruakaka soon, I just might ride my Millie and let Maha take all the cleaning crap in the car :love:

Maha
9th March 2012, 06:53
Mom - that detour and closure of motorway was because of the motorbike crash north of Oteha Valley exit :weep:

It was a fatal I believe?

insomnia01
9th March 2012, 07:15
I've used various "100% Waterproof " gear over the years & have never found such a thing at bike shops or at associated venues, working in the agricultural sector I have come in contact with farmers, truck drivers, combine drivers etc,etc... Now I had a thought one day looking out over the adjacent paddock watching a farmer move a herd in driving rain that, if he/she can work in that type of weather then his/her gear must be pretty good !!! so had a chat, found out the brand & went to suss some out for me. They are a heavy PVC material that makes carrying them in my touring bag a bit of a bulky issue but I have used them on tour ( 3 - 4 hr periods or more ) used them when I have attended GC rides or C1KC rides & have stayed " 100 % DRY " I doubt I would change them for anything else & have managed to live with the packing issue whcih is nothing really :2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Bald Eagle
9th March 2012, 07:23
So whats the brand of the pvc wonder gear then, I can live with packing issues if it means my 50 minute commute stays dry.

MSTRS
9th March 2012, 07:33
... A bit damp of crotch...

Oh, you and your fluffy seam do have some issues, eh?:whistle:

rickstv
9th March 2012, 08:09
But how did the ankle hold up Anne?
Rick.

swbarnett
9th March 2012, 09:16
So whats the brand of the pvc wonder gear then, I can live with packing issues if it means my 50 minute commute stays dry.
Best thing I've found for the price is PVC work gear form the warehouse. $20 a piece and definately 100% waterproof.

If you want to spend a bit more for some lighter (and probably cooler in summer) gear I believe Oringi is a good choice at around $200. Some of the best service I've seen as well. My wife bought a jacket from them. She wasn't sure of the size so they sent her two to try - before paying a cent. Kept the one that fit, sent the other back and was then invoiced.

Subike
9th March 2012, 12:06

Techniflex NewZealand made
55% Polyurethane,
45% Nylon.
Very light, and comfortable, designed for open cab tractors , with double skins on the knees and elbow.
100% wind resistant, Hood will fit inside your helmet, Velcro cuffs on jacket,
Zipper on jacket is two way, very important when making that roadside stop so you only have to open the bottom of the jacket.
Jacket zipper has a flap that domes up to increase water proofing,
Pants are elastic top, but also have draw string at the waist.
Side pocket slits with domes to keep them closed.

Only downsides,
Only come in one color, dark greyish blue.
Pants typically like to ride up your boots, I cured this by using two wide dog collars to clamp them around my ankles.

Bought a size XL jacket, which will go over all my riding gear very well, and the longer sleeves tuck into my glove really good.
Bought size small pants , more than big enough to get over my leathers, as Im only 75Kg
Folded up and rolled together, they would be 250mm dai x 200mm long/
$109 for the pants
$165 for the jacket
12mth replacement warranty on the seams

SPman
9th March 2012, 14:40
I now have a Givi top-box. But I used a thick plastic rubbish bag inside my Ventura pack-bag (back when I had one). Stuff never got wet then. I've done the same. The new Ventura packs come with a waterproof cover (well, the missus's one did). Don't know how effective they are....
I've also found the one piece Oxford oversuits work really well - failing that - I've also used a cleansack with holes cut out for the head/arms.......

FJRider
9th March 2012, 14:46
.. failing that - I've also used a cleansack with holes cut out for the head/arms.......

there are pink, or yellow ones ... then you dont need a high vis vest ... :innocent:

insomnia01
10th March 2012, 07:02
Techniflex as mentioned is a similar product, mine is branded as Tornado unsure of pricing as I've had them for 5+ years now, use a 2XL sizing so I can throw over my leathers :2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup wind & rain is kept at bay seeing as most of my riding involves long stints in the saddle so if you can handle the packing issue which isn't much really, then your all good

Bikemad
10th March 2012, 07:26

a hells angel on a black harley i've been told........RIP to you fella

hellokitty
10th March 2012, 19:19
a hells angel on a black harley i've been told........RIP to you fella

Don't know if he was a hells angel or not, but I do know that he was a mate's son's friend and a good kid who will be missed.

Mom
11th March 2012, 14:31
But how did the ankle hold up Anne?
Rick.

Ankle is doing well Rick, still a bit stiff and sore but feels ok in my boot and that is the main thing. Boots are not as comfy as they used to be, so it feels really good when I take them off :laugh:

caseye
11th March 2012, 17:46
100% good news on the ankle there Anne.
A damn shame that another biker had to die to cause a traffic jam of such monumental proportions that you were stuck in traffic on a back road for over 2 hours.
As for the mongrels on bikes who regularly give the bulk of us a very poor name, well. I too see them everyday.
Lane splitting at motorway speeds, mongrels with L plates crossing the bridge while never actually staying in one lane or another because they're too busy splitting moving traffic, the list goes on and the more I see it and believe me I am seeing it more and more the more I despair.
Sensible riding, splitting stopped or nearly stopped traffic is perfectly acceptable and the local Poo Poo's have always allowed it to happen, because it actually did speed up traffic.Butt having seen so much of this bullying attitude(by motorcyclists) of late I can see why, we as a group are now being actively targeted.
We, as a group must either, reign in our own, or face the collective consequences. Which will not be pretty.

Anyhow, good luck with Millie and the commute to work and any and all riding to come, keep her shiny side up, aye.

Mom
15th March 2012, 17:30
Techniflex
I use a Techniflex raincoat, it is fondly referred to as my fuck off rain coat :niceone:

Gutted today. Have been riding to work every day, this morning I simply could not get my boot on. Try as I might, hard as I attempted to, it would not go into the boot. Swollen up and no way in hell was it going to fit. Pisses me right off I can tell you.

I am over this shit :mad:

Mom
15th March 2012, 17:42
A damn shame that another biker had to die to cause a traffic jam of such monumental proportions that you were stuck in traffic on a back road for over 2 hours.

Anyhow, good luck with Millie and the commute to work and any and all riding to come, keep her shiny side up, aye.

Yeah, he is missed by his friends and family if the tagging and flowers are anything to go by.

Me and Millie are just sweet as. All I want is this ankle to get better properly. It is over 6 months now and I am beyond over it.