PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed - m14x1.25 tap, stripped sump plug. Auckland

The Pastor
10th March 2012, 12:36
Hi guys,

Like the dickhead i am, i stripped my sump plug thread on my dr650!

I need a m14 tap with a 1.25 thread on it to re tap my thread. Anyone got one i could borrow? Need to get the bike ready for work on monday.

Please contact me on 0211764836.

Many thanks,

Scott

Madness
10th March 2012, 16:28
If it was an M14 X 1.25 thread thas has stripped then an M14 X 1.25 Tap will be unlikely to fix it as there won't be any metal (presumably aluminium - even worse than steel as it's so soft) left to form a thread. The common fix is to install an M14 X 1.25 Heliciol (or similar brand) insert and these use an oversized Tap that is specific to the insert itself. Not trying to be a smart cunt, just pointing out that what you've asked for may not work. If your sump plug was smaller than M14 then a M14 X 1.25 Tap will work if you're putting a larger sump plug in. Be sure to use the exact drill specified too, don't be tempted to use one that's "close enough" coz it won't be unless we're talking +/- 0.05mm

Buy some smaller tools for doing this kind of work and look at replacing the copper sump plug washer minimum every second or third oil change, to prevent this happening again.

Good luck.

Ixion
10th March 2012, 16:44
Long shot, for a temporary fix. Is ALL the female thread stripped? Often with sump plugs the female thread is longer than the male thread ( hole is longer than what youve got to go into it - I know the feeling) . So either :

A thinner washer or no washer , or
Turn down the boss on the plug to allow it to fit deeper , or
Make up a longer rangi plug from a suitable bolt, nut washervand thread tape.

None a good fix, Or a longterm one, but they've carried me over before now.

Woodman
10th March 2012, 16:54
m14x1.25 is spark plug thread size. Powerbuilt do a thread insert fixing tool in that thread. Ring round your local auto stores to see if they have one.

Or bolt a spark plug in their for the longer thread. Just don't go trail riding.

The Pastor
11th March 2012, 08:56
Hi thanks for your replies.

I had a good look at the thread, and i dont think i stripped it, but a small bit is broken, or a small bit of metal is wedged in there. as such the sump bolt only threads on half way. I fully think a tap will fix it, but the cheapest i could find is $80 and no shops are open on the weekend, If i cant borrow one i might have to take the bike into a shop and see what they can do. (did i mention no detachable sump??)

Would I get away with putting loctite on the threads and doing the sump bolt up half way? (just to get the bike home)

Cheers

Scott

hayd3n
11th March 2012, 09:06
Hi thanks for your replies.

I had a good look at the thread, and i dont think i stripped it, but a small bit is broken, or a small bit of metal is wedged in there. as such the sump bolt only threads on half way. I fully think a tap will fix it, but the cheapest i could find is $80 and no shops are open on the weekend, If i cant borrow one i might have to take the bike into a shop and see what they can do. (did i mention no detachable sump??)

Would I get away with putting loctite on the threads and doing the sump bolt up half way? (just to get the bike home)

Cheers

Scott

ask supercheep ansd repco
and tool shed mitre ten \bunnings may hvae somthing too

Bikemad
11th March 2012, 09:15
go to the wholesalers........buy a large bottle of wild turkey bourbon............drink said bourbon..........stick cork from bourbon in sump plug hole ........fill with oil.........ride home...........no wait...........

The Pastor
11th March 2012, 12:43
go to the wholesalers........buy a large bottle of wild turkey bourbon............drink said bourbon..........stick cork from bourbon in sump plug hole ........fill with oil.........ride home...........no wait...........

ahahaha that's gold, crazy enough to work! I think i may have found a mate who has a tap, so hopefully it will work! Will find out soon! Thanks for all the helpful replies.

quickbuck
11th March 2012, 15:00
If you have a spark plug (old one, cos what I'm about to suggets will render it usless), then cut some "flutes" into it with a hack saw, then clean it up a bit.
Gently wind it into your sump plug hole, about a 1/3 of a turn at a time, winding it back qbout a 1/4. Just like tapping it.

That will help clean up the threads if that is all they need.

hayd3n
11th March 2012, 18:46
If you have a spark plug (old one, cos what I'm about to suggets will render it usless), then cut some "flutes" into it with a hack saw, then clean it up a bit.
Gently wind it into your sump plug hole, about a 1/3 of a turn at a time, winding it back qbout a 1/4. Just like tapping it.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to quickbuck again.
nice will keep that in mind

The Pastor
12th March 2012, 13:48

thanks for that idea, thats awesome.

My mate had a tap and 2 mins later, the plug was in, never to be removed for another 5000km!