PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and a little advice if possible (Shayne)

Shayne
11th March 2012, 20:34
I’m new to the forum, so I just wanted to say hi, and ask if anyone here knew a bit about Metrakit racing in NZ?

I have a 12 year old son who is serious about racing motorcycles, and 80cc Metrakits seem a great option….as he’s quite small for his age. Any advice on who to contact about this would be a great help!

nzmikey
11th March 2012, 20:42
You could try bucket racing ..... do a search ( top right hand corner of the page ) & get in contact with a few of the guys n gals

Shayne
13th March 2012, 05:46
I am considering that option, but the engine needs to be replaced with a non competition type to compete. He wants to race at professional level, and has his sights set on Valencia for the Metrakit world GP in a couple of years.

koba
13th March 2012, 06:38
I am considering that option, but the engine needs to be replaced with a non competition type to compete. He wants to race at professional level, and has his sights set on Valencia for the Metrakit world GP in a couple of years.

It's the closest thing we have.

Further from that there is streetstock and minilite/prolites.

Check out the bucket racing sub-forum here and the racing forum, a lot of racers from each area don't frequent other parts of kiwibiker.

Buckets will teach him heaps, perhaps assessing what is available here and planning based on that is a good idea.
There is the F4 GP at Taupo in a few weeks, that would give you a good idea of what the top level of buckets is like.

If you are serious about world level goals he will want to be doing more than just buckets, maximum track time is essential, as is good competition.

Streetstock and it's companion classes are the next thing for a youg racer, then 125GP.

Perhaps some off-road experience if he hasn't already got it.

crazy man
13th March 2012, 07:12
What kind of racing has your son done up to now MX? the good thing about bucket racing is its very close racing very tight tracks and a very good steping stone to larger bikes . l know of alot of top road racers that start life as bucket racers..l see a cheap fxr 150 for a $800 in the trading area that would be a good starting bike

nzmikey
13th March 2012, 11:51

A Mate of mine is selling his buckets ... cheep have a look

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/147710-FXR150-bucket-racer-very-reluctantly-for-sale-(-another-bucket-and-ute)?p=1130280360#post1130280360

Shayne
13th March 2012, 20:04
Thanks guys, you've got me thinking about the possibility of putting him on a YSR or NSR 80 first up (FXR 150s are a bit to tall for him just yet). I'm in the early stages of building a Junior GP Team to be able to access larger Sponsorship for him, so he can race in the Metrakit series eventually...but until New Zealand adopts Metrakit GP racing, buckets may well be the answer!

BMX is about all the Two wheel experience he has so far.....but road racing is all he has wanted to do since he was knee height. I might just head over to Taupo in a few weeks time, take a look at the F4 GP, and have a chat with a few of the guy n girls there as well.

I'll post over in the Buckets section, and see what I can find. Again...Thanks for your advice guys, it was well appreciated!!

koba
13th March 2012, 20:30
until New Zealand adopts Metrakit GP racing

Probably not going to happen anytime soon.

That may sound blunt and antagonistic but that's just how I see it, you will probably understand soon enough.

Shayne
13th March 2012, 21:17
Probably not going to happen anytime soon.

That may sound blunt and antagonistic but that's just how I see it, you will probably understand soon enough.

Ha ha, I already understand!! It will take a bit of work....but opposition only exists to challenge determination. I know it would be a great experience for young riders in NZ to compete in these world championships, and I'm sure with perseverance, and support it could happen.