PDA

View Full Version : Photoshoppers?

ducatilover
12th March 2012, 14:09
I made an epic fail on Photoshop, can anyone make this pic of my bike pretty?

Colours I wanted to try are:
Burgundy.
Silver.
White.
Black.

My effort looked like it was anodised and half the background was too. :laugh:

Timmeh:P
12th March 2012, 14:37
Might want to take another photo on an overcast day. That image is a little overexposed to work with.

nodrog
12th March 2012, 14:46
Might want to take another photo on an overcast day. That image is a little overexposed to work with.

you must have the budget version computershop, mine works sweet.

12th March 2012, 14:47

Bahaha... :facepalm:

12th March 2012, 14:52

Is that a Honda?

Tigadee
12th March 2012, 15:11
Here you go, and I threw in blue for good measure:

BTW, Timmeh is correct, take a better photo. And don't have the bike part in shade and part out in the sun. And use a better camera, and clean your lens, and...

nathanwhite
12th March 2012, 15:18
piccys

if I had a little more time between classes I would wheels and bling and fancy stuff like that

nathanwhite
12th March 2012, 15:19
Damnit. Tigadee bet me to it.

Tigadee
12th March 2012, 15:20
No worries, at least you got burgundy right... Mine's more magenta! :facepalm:

nathanwhite
12th March 2012, 15:22
I was there too for a bit, but then remembered that proper burgandy is just a dark red. very easy too pull off once you get that

nathanwhite
12th March 2012, 15:27
here ya go. Gold wheels 'n a black frame.
yell if you want another combination, but ill do that tomorrow because i'm late now. :chase:

edit: damn, the colour is off....

12th March 2012, 15:32
someone has too much time in their afternoon <_<

nathanwhite
12th March 2012, 17:22
someone has too much time in their afternoon <_<

that was my half hour break between classes thank you very much. Walking all over the city to find bad typography before the 'how to be a better student' class

Big Dave
12th March 2012, 17:27
http://stonerculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/bic_lighter-04826_bs.jpg

ducatilover
12th March 2012, 17:46
:laugh: It's beautiful! But that's too Honda-esque :innocent:

Here you go, and I threw in blue for good measure:

BTW, Timmeh is correct, take a better photo. And don't have the bike part in shade and part out in the sun. And use a better camera, and clean your lens, and...
Cheers dude! I've only got a shitheap phone camera to use, will attempt to get better pics :2thumbsup

piccys

if I had a little more time between classes I would wheels and bling and fancy stuff like that
Awesome stuff man! :yes: That burgundy could be rather yummy :Punk:

Big Dave has done a pretty sweet job, bike looks a lot lighter....

ducatilover
12th March 2012, 17:56
piccys

The front wheel is already bling enough <_< so is the frame, except the black is getting taken off and going gunmetal.
There's a wee bit of polished alloy, but it's dulled down over the last 4-5 months lol

Big Dave
12th March 2012, 18:03
Big Dave has done a pretty sweet job, bike looks a lot lighter....

:laugh:

Notes, DL can't take hints.

ducatilover
12th March 2012, 18:04
:laugh:

Notes, DL can't take hints.
I got the hint, it's pointing up, I need to do a wheelie.

Big Dave
12th March 2012, 18:14

Be careful with those USD forks - dangerous.

nathanwhite
12th March 2012, 18:18
The front wheel is already bling enough <_< so is the frame, except the black is getting taken off and going gunmetal.

Ok, just a thought. Gunmetal would look pretty sweet

nzvlogger
12th March 2012, 19:21

ducatilover
12th March 2012, 19:25
Be careful with those USD forks - dangerous. I hear they can make me stop from 60 in 2 meters!

Ok, just a thought. Gunmetal would look pretty sweet
If you think they can look better, go ahead :yes: :Punk:

Pics
Excellent thanks! There's a lot more talent here than I'd hoped for:drinknsin

nzvlogger
12th March 2012, 19:53
used to be a photoshop nerd hahaha

http://i.imgur.com/KSG3Wl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XmAOvl.jpg

mossy1200
12th March 2012, 20:21
Im thinking this

nzvlogger
12th March 2012, 20:25
Im thinking this

Surely that would go heaps faster with the flag

tigertim20
12th March 2012, 20:43

Be careful with those USD forks - dangerous.

Dont worry, those forks will the right side up again by the time he's finished doing his wheelie:laugh:

Tigadee
12th March 2012, 21:56
Colours I wanted to try are:
Burgundy.
Silver.
White.
Black.

Why not just buy this? Sorted...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-457045365.htm

riffer
12th March 2012, 22:11
Big Dave is right.

You guys suck at Photoshop.

Flat colour washes and "spin the circle" colour wheel corrections are the hallmarks of amateurs.

Think about the luminosity of the colour and the effect of light and shadow on the colours and you might start getting somewhere.

And not one of you clowns has even noticed there's no front brakes on the bike. WTF?

Here's a few pics to get the graphic arts students thinking. See if you can spot some techniques. Then think about how most of these were done 15-20 years ago.

Big Dave
12th March 2012, 22:20
Mossy is pretty good.

riffer
12th March 2012, 22:25
Didn't spot the brakes but.

ducatilover
13th March 2012, 01:19
Why not just buy this? Sorted...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-457045365.htm
If I wanted to do it like that it'd already be done, not really my thing even though it's neat.

Im thinking this
Not a fan of the MT-01 muffler, the rest is grouse though :bleh:

Big Dave is right.

And not one of you clowns has even noticed there's no front brakes on the bike. WTF?

:laugh: There's a lot missing from the bike mate...

ducatilover
13th March 2012, 01:20
Dont worry, those forks will the right side up again by the time he's finished doing his wheelie:laugh:
Reckon these ones will bend or will I rip the head stock out? :wings:

nathanwhite
13th March 2012, 06:11
Big Dave is right.

You guys suck at Photoshop.

Flat colour washes and "spin the circle" colour wheel corrections are the hallmarks of amateurs.

Think about the luminosity of the colour and the effect of light and shadow on the colours and you might start getting somewhere.

When you have very limited time between classes (on an art and design course no less) you don't bother with fancy stuff. It's spitballing, playing with colours, getting the idea out and concreted. Have you seen pre-vis work for 3d and VFX'd movies? There is a whole department that just makes that makes super basic content, just so the idea is nailed down.

If this was paid work, the first thing I would do is get some better photos of the bike (yes, even if I had to ride down there) Do you know how hard it is to make clipped white into black without directly applying colour?

I don't take offense at your statements, just a little miffed you didn't seem to realize that its not supposed to be a full out judged photomanipulation.

13th March 2012, 07:58
When you have very limited time between classes (on an art and design course no less) you don't bother with fancy stuff. It's spitballing, playing with colours, getting the idea out and concreted. Have you seen pre-vis work for 3d and VFX'd movies? There is a whole department that just makes that makes super basic content, just so the idea is nailed down.

If this was paid work, the first thing I would do is get some better photos of the bike (yes, even if I had to ride down there) Do you know how hard it is to make clipped white into black without directly applying colour?

I don't take offense at your statements, just a little miffed you didn't seem to realize that its not supposed to be a full out judged photomanipulation.

Agree with ya nathanwhite. I am in the media design industry as a senior visualization artist. And what I am seeing is basically all you can do with this particular image without 3d modelling the coloured elements, rendering the different colour options and applying it in photoshop.

riffer
13th March 2012, 08:24
Do you know how hard it is to make clipped white into black without directly applying colour?.

Yeah I do actually. I've been using Photoshop since version 1.5.

[QUOTE=Timmeh:P;1130280295What I am seeing is basically all you can do with this particular image without 3d modelling the coloured elements, rendering the different colour options and applying it in photoshop.[/QUOTE]

Bollocks. Try copying the tank image, copy out to grayscale and tweak the levels and invert to create the alpha and use that to determine the amount of colour to start with. Then build up with an airbrush.

I realise it's a quick render. Honestly, this started out as a jokey off the cuff comment. Your replies though make me despair at the level of talent left in the retouching industry. Retouchers have gotten lazy. I knew this would happen and argued the point with the Adobe programmers many years ago.

nathanwhite
13th March 2012, 10:05
Bollocks. Try copying the tank image, copy out to grayscale and tweak the levels and invert to create the alpha and use that to determine the amount of colour to start with. Then build up with an airbrush.

:confused: I tried that. It got a little muddled halfway though. Could you show me what you mean?

I realise it's a quick render. Honestly, this started out as a jokey off the cuff comment. Your replies though make me despair at the level of talent left in the retouching industry. Retouchers have gotten lazy. I knew this would happen and argued the point with the Adobe programmers many years ago.

If you can show me a efficient method of turning the body of that bike in that photo black, that looks photorealistic, or very close to it, then I will eat my words.

Maha
13th March 2012, 10:52
A member called Romeo is very good at this stuff---->> http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php/8605-Romeo
He had a go at my old Sprint...

nathanwhite
13th March 2012, 11:06
A member called Romeo is very good at this stuff---->>
He a go at my old Sprint...

ooh thats nice. I like the way he distorted it to fit over the contours of the bike.

good pic to start with though :dodge:

riffer
13th March 2012, 11:31
:confused: I tried that. It got a little muddled halfway though. Could you show me what you mean?

If you can show me a efficient method of turning the body of that bike in that photo black, that looks photorealistic, or very close to it, then I will eat my words.

Munch Away.

I would do more but, as you say, it's a shit photo , and I really can't be arsed.

nathanwhite
13th March 2012, 11:44
The undersides do look black and you have done better job there then I will be capable of for a long time yet. :niceone:

I'm sure you will agree though that the top is too blown out to be effectively changed to a nice black

riffer
13th March 2012, 11:52
ooh thats nice. I like the way he distorted it to fit over the contours of the bike.

good pic to start with though :dodge:

True. The pic helps a lot. When I was retouching Holdens for McCanns we wereusing 8x10 transparencies from studio rail cameras as original pics.

riffer
13th March 2012, 11:53
The undersides do look black and you have done better job there then I will be capable of for a long time yet. :niceone:

I'm sure you will agree though that the top is too blown out to be effectively changed to a nice black

Yup. You'd have to airbrush everything which is a right pain. It can be done though. You need to isolate the ares with the pen tool, create alphas and use combinations of blends and airbrushed shadows and highlights to do it. Don't give up. Given enough time and money anything is possible.

riffer
13th March 2012, 11:56
Where I differed from you is in the following:

use pen tool to describe a path around the tank.
Turn the path into a selection.
Copy the image data from the background, invert it, and save it into an alpha channel.
Using the alpha, add some colour block layers using luminosity as your mode.
Then bring in a few other colour layers in varying modes - darken, colour dodge.
rinse and repeat.

ducatilover
13th March 2012, 23:43
Munch Away.

I would do more but, as you say, it's a shit photo , and I really can't be arsed.
I apologise for the 2mp pile of shit.
It's only a Kawasaki any way... :shutup:
Thanks for the pic mate