PDA

View Full Version : Are the police starting to stumble in the right direction?

Scuba_Steve
12th March 2012, 17:47
Just seen on the propaganda machine, police are starting a 6mth trial of a warning 1st system, where 1st time "offenders" of low level traffic offenses (i.e. speeding, giveway, red lights) will be warned rather than fined, in an attempt to try to free up the court rooms.
I believe this is 1 warning per type of offence (at-least that was the impression I got) then the fines start flowing like usual & people like me (previous offences) apparently are unlikely to get the warnings & will still collect toilet paper.

I'm sure someone like rastuscat can clarify all this, but it finally looks like the police are starting to stumble toward the right direction with things like this & rastuscat's "training vs fine" idea

blackdog
12th March 2012, 17:51
Meh.

Don't get caught, don't get fined.

FJRider
12th March 2012, 17:52
Just seen on the propaganda machine, police are starting a 6mth trial of a warning 1st system, where 1st time "offenders" of low level traffic offenses (i.e. speeding, giveway, red lights) will be warned rather than fined, in an attempt to try to free up the court rooms.
I believe this is 1 warning per type of offence (at-least that was the impression I got) then the fines start flowing like usual & people like me (previous offences) apparently are unlikely to get the warnings & will still collect toilet paper.

I'm sure someone like rastuscat can clarify all this, but it finally looks like the police are starting to stumble toward the right direction with things like this & rastuscat's "training vs fine" idea

Most likely ... when warnings are given ... it may be at the descretion of the officer involved.

NOT ... "as of right" ... (a bit like the 4km/hr tolerance)

rastuscat
12th March 2012, 17:56
Have heard rumbles about it, and a new button has appeared on our SMART devices. It says warning, but it's only live in the districts trialling the scheme.

Had a chat last week to a boss up north about this new thing. He said that the only thing they had a problem with was getting the Popos to use the warning system. There's a mindset that if you're not going to write someone a ticket, don't stop them.

I can understand that mindset. I think that if they roll the system out nationwide, maybe we'll see people getting warnings for the things that we're reluctant to fine folk $150 for, like failing to indicate.

Can't see it being anything other than a good thing, really.

:yes:

mossy1200
12th March 2012, 18:18
we're reluctant to fine folk $150 for, like failing to indicate.

How about fine people $150 for not indicating and use common sence when it comes to accidently exceeding limits by small amounts for short periods of time.People get fined for not indicating and they start to learn how to use them quickly.Theres no excuse because you dont accidently turn a corner at intersections.Drive the unmarked popo cars around town a bit more I say.

RUSS
12th March 2012, 18:23
but it's only live in the districts trialling the scheme.

It starts today in Auckland I think, I'll find out on Wednesday when I go back to work. I will be giving them to people who do lazy things like not using their indicators or that guy who drives down the onramp at 50km/h to merge with traffic doing 90.

The best thing will be to give them to people who have stuffed up and fallen off the road and they have only damaged their own car or bike. Normally would have to send them to court for careless driving. Why not save the time and public money and give him a warning if it's appropiate?

Scuba_Steve
12th March 2012, 18:46
It starts today in Auckland I think, I'll find out on Wednesday when I go back to work. I will be giving them to people who do lazy things like not using their indicators or that guy who drives down the onramp at 50km/h to merge with traffic doing 90.

The best thing will be to give them to people who have stuffed up and fallen off the road and they have only damaged their own car or bike. Normally would have to send them to court for careless driving. Why not save the time and public money and give him a warning if it's appropiate?

:shit: this isn't a decent cop in the North Island is it???
:blink: actually doing something about real problems like People who can't merge & failing to indicate, while on top of that not pissing people off with fines when they've already learnt their lesson by fucking up their own stuff as well as themselves

Well if this interweb confession is true :niceone:

psykonosis
12th March 2012, 18:58
Have heard rumbles about it, and a new button has appeared on our SMART devices. It says warning, but it's only live in the districts trialling the scheme.

Press and hold home button..."Siri, how should i proceed with penalising this driver/rider...?" ;)

Road kill
13th March 2012, 06:11
Bull shit,,,they could always give warnings,,,if they wanted to.
Just public relations,,nothing more.
Same old money gathering shit heads that hid behind mommys skirts an got picked on at school.
POPO ???,,,,,who's bright idea was it for put a pig on line using black gangsta slag to talk about himself ,,,,,get that idea from one of ya' new south african recruits did ya' boys:facepalm: :laugh:

davereid
13th March 2012, 06:45
Bull shit,,,they could always give warnings,,,if they wanted to.:facepalm: :laugh:

The new system may be able to do effective warnings, as I imagine it is actually able to record the fact you have been warned, and advise the popo on the side of the road that you got one for the same offence last Tuesday at the other end of the country.

So the popo and recipient can both have some confidence that the warning will be taken seriously.

Lets not forget the whole purpose of traffic enforcement is to improve driver behavior, and this may just help.

Good on the police for looking at it rationally.

Grubber
13th March 2012, 06:48
Same old money gathering shit heads that hid behind mommys skirts an got picked on at school.
POPO ???,,,,,who's bright idea was it for put a pig on line using black gangsta slag to talk about himself ,,,,,get that idea from one of ya' new south african recruits did ya' boys:facepalm: :laugh:

Hmmmm. Obviously not a fan of the Police.:facepalm:

steve_t
13th March 2012, 07:00
The new system may be able to do effective warnings, as I imagine it is actually able to record the fact you have been warned, and advise the popo on the side of the road that you got one for the same offence last Tuesday at the other end of the country.

So the popo and recipient can both have some confidence that the warning will be taken seriously.

Lets not forget the whole purpose of traffic enforcement is to improve driver behavior, and this may just help.

Good on the police for looking at it rationally.

+1 :niceone:

Swoop
13th March 2012, 08:26
...1st time "offenders" of low level traffic offenses (i.e. ... red lights) will be warned...
Fuck that. Hammer the cunts hard who run red lights.
That is a road safety issue.

Scuba_Steve
13th March 2012, 09:04

yea I'm with you there, that's why when I'm in the cage & 1st in-line I offer the red light runners the opportunity to be hammered :devil2:
It's strange how they were "unable" to safely stop for the light, yet they can stop on the spot when a cage pulls in-front of them :innocent:

FJRider
13th March 2012, 09:55
Had a chat last week to a boss up north about this new thing. He said that the only thing they had a problem with was getting the Popos to use the warning system. There's a mindset that if you're not going to write someone a ticket, don't stop them.

I can understand that mindset. I think that if they roll the system out nationwide, maybe we'll see people getting warnings for the things that we're reluctant to fine folk $150 for, like failing to indicate.

Only if the warnings are recorded ... and when the "clients" licence number is punched into your "smart device" you can see that a warning was given to that person. Thus a $150 request is given ... :yes:

If you know you have been issued a warning .... and the next time you are stopped for that infringement ... it will cost money ... :pinch:

Sort of like sitting on x demerits ... an incentive to behave ...

Scuba_Steve
13th March 2012, 10:08
Only if the warnings are recorded ...

yes warnings are recorded on the central database system

oneofsix
13th March 2012, 10:12
yes warnings are recorded on the central database system

Do you get a receipt with that? To put it another way, are verbal warnings and written warning recorded on the database or only the written warnings?
Are the warnings being handed out written warnings? perhaps its time I went back and had another read of the article :yes: :oops: no article

Scuba_Steve
13th March 2012, 10:21
Do you get a receipt with that? To put it another way, are verbal warnings and written warning recorded on the database or only the written warnings?
Are the warnings being handed out written warnings? perhaps its time I went back and had another read of the article :yes: :oops: no article

yea by what was shown on the TV propaganda it looks like you still get a receipt like ticket thing just it doesn't ask for moneys like usual

Zedder
13th March 2012, 10:40

The article from the NZ Herald if you want to have a read Six: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10791458

buellbabe
13th March 2012, 11:26
... There's a mindset that if you're not going to write someone a ticket, don't stop them.

In my time as a road user I have been stopped and verbally warned a few times and because the officer was good enuf to NOT ticket me I showed my thanks and respect by taking on board what had been said to me and continuing on my journey a tad slower...Discretion already exists, I agree with rastuscat, sounds like a good thing to me.

... I will be giving them to people who do lazy things like not using their indicators or that guy who drives down the onramp at 50km/h to merge with traffic doing 90.

OH YES PLEASE! I hate getting stuck behind 'THAT' person, especially when there are trucks barrelling over the brow of the hill behind us (manurewa on-ramp).

steve_t
13th March 2012, 11:48
In my time as a road user I have been stopped and verbally warned a few times and because the officer was good enuf to NOT ticket me I showed my thanks and respect by taking on board what had been said to me and continuing on my journey a tad slower...Discretion already exists, I agree with rastuscat, sounds like a good thing to me.

Discretion is just that. About two weeks after I got ticketed for doing 111km/h in a 100 zone, one of my female employees (who happened to moonlight as a fashion model) got caught doing 72 in a 50 zone and got told to "Slow down, pretty eyes." My currently female employees always talk about looking sad and pushing their boobs out when pulled over by cops. It's just the way the world works

Zedder
13th March 2012, 11:53
The warnings, and recording of them, are all good I reckon. It's a positive move whereas they could have just carried on the same old way.

I agree with Road kill though, the Popo thing is pathetic. Just another crap Americanism.

Usarka
13th March 2012, 13:33
The cop bosses know that some cops give warnings. They don't like the fact that there is no measurement of that.

So they add a way for the cops to record when the have warnings. This will show against your record, and also against the individual cops kpi's.

Zedder
13th March 2012, 13:37
The cop bosses know that some cops give warnings. They don't like the fact that there is no measurement of that.

So they add a way for the cops to record when the have warnings. This will show against your record, and also against the individual cops kpi's.

Of course, "What's measured is managed".

oneofsix
13th March 2012, 13:40
The article from the NZ Herald if you want to have a read Six: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10791458

thanks.

You do get a receipt with that and it is all because it is too costly on the court system with all the people that refuse to learn or get confused by the change to the give way law.:wari:

But you loss the verbal warning.:crybaby:

Haggis2
13th March 2012, 13:55

So speeding, running red lights and not giving way are low level? Whats the serious stuff - rego run out maybe :sick:

davereid
13th March 2012, 14:01
So speeding, running red lights and not giving way are low level? Whats the serious stuff - rego run out maybe :sick:

Thats the issue for quite a few things.

The one that gets me is an expired drivers licence.

Its not like it effects anything about your ability to drive. But they take it very seriously. It really demonstrates how important the state sees that ID card, and how it really has very little to do with driving at all.

The Pastor
13th March 2012, 14:03

yeah most people crash there vehicles for fun! lets warn them that crashing is bad.

Zedder
13th March 2012, 14:04

Read the article via the posted link and find out.

slofox
13th March 2012, 14:06
I wonder if I woulda got a warning this morning if that copper had come round the corner while I was still overtaking that line of traffic..? Instead of just after I had regained my side of the road and legal(ish) speed... :nono:

oneofsix
13th March 2012, 14:16

Speeding isn't listed either way;

ON NOTICE

* Possible written warning:
* Careless driving
* Failing to keep left
* Unsafe changing of lanes
* Failing to give way
* Operating a moving vehicle with insecure load

No warning:

* Drink-driving and drug-driving
* Reckless or dangerous driving
* Careless driving causing injury or death
* Racing, exhibition of speed and sustained loss of traction offences (boy racer offences)
* Driving while disqualified, suspended, revoked or contrary to limited licence.

Speeding should depend on circumstances, 111 on a desert straight highway :whocares: 60k past a school at 15:30 :bash:

Scuba_Steve
13th March 2012, 15:02
ON NOTICE (Possible written warning)
* Careless driving
* Failing to keep left
* Unsafe changing of lanes
* Failing to give way
* Operating a moving vehicle with insecure load

No warning:
* Drink-driving and drug-driving
* Reckless or dangerous driving
* Careless driving causing injury or death
* Racing, exhibition of speed and sustained loss of traction offences (boy racer offences)
* Driving while disqualified, suspended, revoked or contrary to limited licence.

I notice omitted from the list is "speeding", rego & WOF and to be honest all the "on notice" offences are ones the cops don't currently enforce (at-least not to a decent level).

p.dath
13th March 2012, 15:51
What do we want from the public roading network? I know what I want. I want to be able to use it without experiencing death. I also am not prepared to accept the cost or loss of liberty from having a zero death toll - so I accept some people are going to die, just hopefully not me today (call me selfish). And because cost is an issue for me, I only want so much resource applied to it, and I accept that resource is only going to get me so much of what I want.

I also want the roading network to be predictable, both in design and by the people using it.

So when making decisions I have to ask myself does the "decision" reduce the chance of death or improve predictability of road use.

To achieve this we need rules. Form here I see a couple of issues. Those that don't give a stuff about the rules or others, and for which the rules mean nothing. Giving these road users fines will have no impact. Those that know about the rules, but choose to only comply with the ones that they like (punitive punishment like fines and warnings are likely to help here), those that comply with everything like it is a religion (fines and warnings are like to have little or no impact). And lastly, those that aren't capable of complying with the rules, either through inattentiveness or lack of skills (no amount of fines or warnings will help, only education).

Accident statistics show the biggest group, by far, that have accidents are those caused by driver error (the last group). So this trial will be addressing the smaller of the big accident groups. Still worth considering though, just we shouldn't expect a big change as a result.

Assuming little is currently done about low level non-compliance of the road rules, because of limited Police resource, I am of a mixed reaction about the decision to give warnings. If the people would have been pulled over anyway, and the warning achieves the same result as a fine (as in, changes their behaviour to make them more predictable) then its a god thing, as it has reduced the cost of achieving the predictability I would want from road users.

If giving out the warning only consumes what would have been idle Police time then I'm also in support. We have already met the cost of the resource, and are only improving predictability of road use through verbal warnings.

HOWEVER, if that same Police resource would have instead been used pursuing something more serious, such as a drunk driver, and that Police resource was unable to pursue that more dangerous behaviour that could result in death, because there were on the side of the road giving out a warning then I would not be so happy.
Only someone in the industry could give a gut feel to this one. I think you need to speak to experienced patrol offices to get a feel for this, and it may well change from region to region.

So I find myself in support of doing a trial, to see what happens, but I would also want to make sure that more serious offending was still being processed - and evidence that it was not working would be that ticket rates for such offences were reducing (because the Police were too busy giving out warnings). And this is the bit that really scares me. It is likely that rates of ticketing for more serious driving offences dropping would probably be mis-construed as evidence that the trial was working ... when in fact it may be having the opposite effect.

So yes, giving out warnings will be a popular decision. Yes it will help with Police PR. Yep, I say lets give it a trial. But lets be very careful what we infer from the results - particularly ticketing rates, as the same result could indicate two completely different but opposing issues.

Marmoot
13th March 2012, 20:14
NOT ... "as of right" ... (a bit like the 4km/hr tolerance)

It's been and gone. Back to 10 now.

FJRider
13th March 2012, 20:21
It's been and gone. Back to 10 now.

The Easter bunny will be back too ... they'll probably arrive about the same time.

Any bets against ... ???

scumdog
13th March 2012, 20:38

You're really not very bright are you...

And I doubt if you're smart enough to be a troll.<_<

scumdog
13th March 2012, 20:42
HOWEVER, if that same Police resource would have instead been used pursuing something more serious, such as a drunk driver, and that Police resource was unable to pursue that more dangerous behaviour that could result in death, because there were on the side of the road giving out a warning then I would not be so happy.
Only someone in the industry could give a gut feel to this one. I think you need to speak to experienced patrol offices to get a feel for this, and it may well change from region to region.

So yes, giving out warnings will be a popular decision. Yes it will help with Police PR. Yep, I say lets give it a trial. But lets be very careful what we infer from the results - particularly ticketing rates, as the same result could indicate two completely different but opposing issues.

We already give heaps of warnings - this might mean the warning takes another two minutes.

And at least the "Oh officer, this is the first time I've ever been stopped and I've never done this before and won't do it again" types will be able to prove they've never been stopped/done it before...won't they???<_<

imac
14th March 2012, 12:00

Those that don't give a stuff about the rules or others, and for which the rules mean nothing. Giving these road users fines will have no impact. Those that know about the rules, but choose to only comply with the ones that they like (punitive punishment like fines and warnings are likely to help here), those that comply with everything like it is a religion (fines and warnings are like to have little or no impact). And lastly, those that aren't capable of complying with the rules, either through inattentiveness or lack of skills (no amount of fines or warnings will help, only education).

Accident statistics show the biggest group, by far, that have accidents are those caused by driver error (the last group). So this trial will be addressing the smaller of the big accident groups. Still worth considering though, just we shouldn't expect a big change as a result.....

Broadly agree with that however my non scientific, observational based opinion is that many driver errors are because the driver has no fucking idea that they are doing something dangerous to themselves or more importantly other road users. An official warning may well address that.
All in all, a good move from Popo

Usarka
14th March 2012, 13:55
We already give heaps of warnings - this might mean the warning takes another two minutes.

Dear Officer Scumdog,

Apparently you have given warnings in 10% of cases stopped for speed related offenses. That is far in excess of performance targets and you need to reduce this number by x.

Failure to comply will result in your suspension from the wednesday shared donut morning tea.

Regards
Mr Police Boss

p.dath
14th March 2012, 15:19
Broadly agree with that however my non scientific, observational based opinion is that many driver errors are because the driver has no fucking idea that they are doing something dangerous to themselves or more importantly other road users. An official warning may well address that.
All in all, a good move from Popo

I think it was the AA survey that found 88% of motorists think they are above average drivers. So yes, about 1/3 of drivers think they are "good", when in fact they are below average. But do remember, 50% of all drivers will always be below average - by definition.

However I don't believe a warning will fix "driver error". A warning fixes something you know you are doing wrong, but can't be bothered (like indicating a lane change, stopping at a red light, etc). Will a warning help someone who can't remember to indicate a lane change? Not sure. Depends on why they can't remember.
It doesn't fix something when you think you are doing it right (like all the drivers who think they are above average when they are not). For example, if a driver thinks they are safe going around a corner at 120 (weather it is safe or not is irrelevant), then getting a warning is probably not going to change their behaviour, as they will believe they are in the right.

scumdog
14th March 2012, 16:46
However I don't believe a warning will fix "driver error". A warning fixes something you know you are doing wrong, but can't be bothered (like indicating a lane change, stopping at a red light, etc). Will a warning help someone who can't remember to indicate a lane change? Not sure. Depends on why they can't remember.
It doesn't fix something when you think you are doing it right (like all the drivers who think they are above average when they are not). For example, if a driver thinks they are safe going around a corner at 120 (weather it is safe or not is irrelevant), then getting a warning is probably not going to change their behaviour, as they will believe they are in the right.

Ah well, after that at least they can't whinge their arses off that they haven't been warned...<_<

SPman
14th March 2012, 16:47
(as in, changes their behaviour to make them more predictable) then its a god thing, No good trying to bring religion into it.......:whistle:

Usarka
14th March 2012, 17:19
However I don't believe a warning will fix "driver error". A warning fixes something you know you are doing wrong, but can't be bothered (like indicating a lane change, stopping at a red light, etc).

A warning helps fix the people who have a momentary lapse. The usually law abiding person who has a run in with the law and gets a fair cop - it reaffirms their perception of the cops.

Tony.OK
14th March 2012, 17:40
How about getting rid of the warnings and stupid speed cameras and having cops sit at roundabouts and ping every dick that doesn't know how to indicate or when to give way etc :facepalm:
HB is shocking and am expecting it to get even worse once the new (old) rule change comes into play. :blink:

Scuba_Steve
14th March 2012, 17:42

what a warning will do (provided they actually go after these people) is inform the ignorant that there is laws against holding people up, you must keep left unless overtaking etc laws people are unaware exist.
As for the others (indicating, lane changes etc) we might find people will start doing what their supposed to as the reason they're probably not now is "no-ones watching" once they're aware someones watching behavior may change

Shadows
14th March 2012, 23:06

Exactly. If it's worth pulling somebody over for then they probably deserve to be fucked over for it as well.

After all, in the time you spend arseing around just because some knobhead can't stay in his own lane or whatever a convoy of drunk, P-addled, burglarising rapists could have driven past.

p.dath
15th March 2012, 07:38
A warning helps fix the people who have a momentary lapse. The usually law abiding person who has a run in with the law and gets a fair cop - it reaffirms their perception of the cops.

If I have a momentary lapse and forget to indicate changing lanes; and knowing that a "momentary lapse" is not a cognitive decision - you don't decide to forget something - then how possible can a warning make any difference to the situation?

Pixie
21st March 2012, 11:08
How about fine people $150 for not indicating and use common sence when it comes to accidently exceeding limits by small amounts for short periods of time.People get fined for not indicating and they start to learn how to use them quickly.Theres no excuse because you dont accidently turn a corner at intersections.Drive the unmarked popo cars around town a bit more I say.

don't confuse him - he's a cop

speed kills
failure to indicate is not dangerous - tui

Pixie
21st March 2012, 11:11
If I have a momentary lapse and forget to indicate changing lanes; and knowing that a "momentary lapse" is not a cognitive decision - you don't decide to forget something - then how possible can a warning make any difference to the situation?

don't give me that "momentary lapse" bullshit.
If you are in the habit of driving correctly it is automatic.
Do you often fail to realise you are changing lanes or direction?

p.dath
21st March 2012, 11:45
If you are in the habit of driving correctly it is automatic.
Do you often fail to realise you are changing lanes or direction?

The old "don't understand the point" problem so I'll attack the person. Yawn.

Pretty much we have two parts of the brain involved here, the top and the bottom. The top part (prefrontal cortex) is slow, and we use it for cognitive reasoning. The bottom part (cerebellum) is fast, but it can't reason - it only responds "instinctively" (mostly used for motor control).

So lets take your run of the mill lane change. More than likely, this process starts by being processed by the top of the brain - because you have to cognitiuvely evaluate the risks and the situation around you. Once you initiate the lane change the bottom of your brain can take over (it will turn the steering wheel for you, etc - general motor control).

Once you accept the process, you should notice the decision process can not be automatic (unless you make the change without regard for the situation around you - as in no thinking is required - then the bottom of the brain can take over straight away).

The top of the brain is always presented with more information than it can handle. Always. And as a result, it has to choose what to consider - what is important to the situation at hand. And I guess that is what you call your momentary lapse - the inability of the brain to recongise the situation around it and then to choose to respond by doing something simple like putting on your indicator. Instead the bottom of the brain kicks in, and simply attempts to do the automatic motor control bit.

Some people might be able to have the turning of the indicator on being controlled by the bottom of the brain as well - but it also means they will be stuck turning it on in the same situation without being able to think about it. So there are pros and cons.

Max Preload
2nd April 2012, 12:36
If you are in the habit of driving correctly it is automatic.Exactly. I've even done it when I'm being chased!

NZ_Blair
24th May 2012, 10:07
I went on a "ride-along" with a highway patrol mate.

Driver asked if he could get a warning for the offence ...

and cop friend said "sure .... (dramatic pause) ... do it again, and I'll give you another ticket" FUNNY!

caseye
24th May 2012, 14:55

Always could and still do, has even happened to me.However I was reasonable and responded as I was spoken to and all was good, it is a two way street.
Yes another way of making us pay without getting us into court, but only if we get a warning first that was recorded and then get picked up doing the "same thing" again. It's a good start.
Our Police members are surely able/allowed to call themselves whatever they like, as if case you didn't know criminals can all them anything they like and it's no longer an offence, you scare to easily.
As for the Sarfies, well if we're getting some of them in the NZ Police it can't be all bad, good hard men mostly, as always a few spoil it for the rest.
In general this is a damn good idea our support, our show of support can only be read as a good thing, surely??

Akzle
24th May 2012, 17:27
...inform the ignorant that there is laws against holding people up, you must keep left unless overtaking etc laws people are unaware exist. warn these types with a taser. infact, as concerned motorcycling 'citizens', this option should be open to us aswell.

speed killsBULLSHIT

rastuscat
24th May 2012, 19:46
warn these types with a taser. infact, as concerned motorcycling 'citizens', this option should be open to us aswell.
BULLSHIT

89 GSX750. Nice bike. Crap attitude. :weird:

rastuscat
24th May 2012, 19:51
Dear Officer Scumdog,

Failure to comply will result in your suspension from the wednesday shared donut morning tea.

Regards
Mr Police Boss

Removing Scummie from the Wednesday morning donut sharing tea break is a cruel and unusual punishment, disproportionate to the offences committed.

Remove his clothes and make him run around Balclutha naked at 4 a.m..

DOH !! He already does that voluntarily.

Harumph !!

98tls
24th May 2012, 20:03

As opposed to what?cunts that hide behind a keyboard,worse still its probably your mother thats paying for it.

BMWST?
24th May 2012, 20:16

agreed red light running is an accident that by pure luck and timing doesnt happen

haydes55
24th May 2012, 20:20
Under cover police motorbike will get thousands of dollars of ticket revenue for failing to give way, failing to indicate, dangerous driving etc. Should do it!

steve_t
24th May 2012, 20:30
Under cover police motorbike will get thousands of dollars of ticket revenue for failing to give way, failing to indicate, dangerous driving etc. Should do it!

They don't even need to be undercover!

haydes55
24th May 2012, 20:47
They don't even need to be undercover!

But the flashing lights, high vis and huge reflective bike might make them visible to 1 or 2 cars.:rolleyes:

rastuscat
25th May 2012, 15:23
But the flashing lights, high vis and huge reflective bike might make them visible to 1 or 2 cars.:rolleyes:

Rode up Rutland Street adjacent to Rugby Park on my troll bike a couple of years back. R1200RT-P.

Bloke pulled out of a Hawkesbury Ave, causing me to be thankful for ABS. Really close call.

He said "Sorry mate, I didn't see you".

I said "Your rights are printed on the back of the notice, sir, have a nice day".

I couldn't think of a better comeback, in fact, still can't. :Police:

FJRider
25th May 2012, 15:27
Rode up Rutland Street adjacent to Rugby Park on my troll bike a couple of years back. R1200RT-P.

Bloke pulled out of a Hawkesbury Ave, causing me to be thankful for ABS. Really close call.

He said "Sorry mate, I didn't see you".

I said "Your rights are printed on the back of the notice, sir, have a nice day".

I couldn't think of a better comeback, in fact, still can't. :Police:

So .... where does one buy those red and blue flashing lights ... and said notebook with those rights pre-printed on the back ... ???

Akzle
25th May 2012, 20:29
89 GSX750. Nice bike. Crap attitude. :weird:ignorant and inattentive drivers are 999/1000 problems on the road.

when someone is piloting a vehicle at a speed faster than their body can travel unaided, they should be paying full fucking attention.
there is no excuse and the consequence for failing to pay attention, i think, 20, 000 volts is suitable.

i've been removed from my motorbike by an aucklander cutting across 3 lanes of traffic. had i a taser and the right to deploy it against him, he may just have looked before busting that maneuver. had he expected that a policy enforcement officer would catch him, and do the same, he may well have looked. instead, the consequence for him was a scratched guard, for me, a bent pawl and a fucked ankle and a hundred bucks worth of Xrays just before christmas. good eh?

rastuscat
25th May 2012, 21:19
So .... where does one buy those red and blue flashing lights ... and said notebook with those rights pre-printed on the back ... ???

Buy one? We get them for free. Just like a free toaster for getting our monthly quota.

GrayWolf
26th May 2012, 21:25
Buy one? We get them for free. Just like a free toaster for getting our monthly quota.
Please see my advert on the net, for our yearly store special/// Toastersareus.com

10 characters

rastuscat
26th May 2012, 21:29
Amazed at how quickly our secret websites get revealed.

Also check

Www.freesteakknivesforwritimglotsoftickets.com

mossy1200
26th May 2012, 21:32

What does one do with 12 toasters per year? Trade them in on a donut cooker?

rastuscat
26th May 2012, 21:38
What does one do with 12 toasters per year? Trade them in on a donut cooker?

Nah. We alternate various small appliances. I had to build a spare room to hold them all. Painted it blue and yellow and called it Briscoes.

:lol:

NZ_Blair
26th May 2012, 21:53
... Well while plenty of people like to bag NZ Police, it could always be worth.

Check this video out from the land of the free .. http://www.wimp.com/badcop/

mossy1200
26th May 2012, 22:03
Nah. We alternate various small appliances. I had to build a spare room to hold them all. Painted it blue and yellow and called it Briscoes.

I was hoping for a better work story.

We are having a Queens Birthday weekend sale.
Were taking 60% off our already low tolerance on all speeding, all weekend... Dont miss out.

GrayWolf
26th May 2012, 22:06

Ahhhh now we understand Rastus, why Popo cars have blue/yellow livery,,, when they are parked outside your neighbours house, they arent there 'making' enquieries, they're delivering small appliances from the police 'warehouse' Briscoe's.

scumdog
27th May 2012, 10:03
Ahhhh now we understand Rastus, why Popo cars have blue/yellow livery,,, when they are parked outside your neighbours house, they arent there 'making' enquieries, they're delivering small appliances from the police 'warehouse' Briscoe's.

My car's plain - so I can deliver anywhere!!:msn-wink:

actungbaby
27th May 2012, 10:58

Well i think great idea after all people learn best from postive informent pity doesint happen more workforce

I been very lucky in not getting pulled over on my bike as it hasint had wof rego but ride safley and know bike is
At the best i can have it at all times .

this week i will be wof and rego will be renewed its passed its test apart from rtear tire and rear brake stop switch

but if am cuaght it be 500.00 plus fine , where that money chould be used for the rear tire and switch

if got that fine it mean i have to leave the wof and tire till paid the fine, i surpose i chould show the piece paper

that shows it been trhough but who knows .

scumdog
27th May 2012, 12:41
if got that fine it mean i have to leave the wof and tire till paid the fine, i surpose i chould show the piece paper

that shows it been trhough but who knows .

Meh, counts for nothing - especially if the dick involved sez "Aw, I'm just going home,I know it hasn't got a warrant - but I've got the check sheet f you want to see it,, it won't take much to pass, it only failed on three things and anyway the brakes aren't as bad as they reckon":rolleyes: WTF??

And especially if said check sheet is dated about two months ago...:crazy:

Still, where possible I give them compliance, it give 'em incentive.

madbikeboy
28th May 2012, 21:50
The old "don't understand the point" problem so I'll attack the person. Yawn.

Pretty much we have two parts of the brain involved here, the top and the bottom. The top part (prefrontal cortex) is slow, and we use it for cognitive reasoning. The bottom part (cerebellum) is fast, but it can't reason - it only responds "instinctively" (mostly used for motor control).

So lets take your run of the mill lane change. More than likely, this process starts by being processed by the top of the brain - because you have to cognitiuvely evaluate the risks and the situation around you. Once you initiate the lane change the bottom of your brain can take over (it will turn the steering wheel for you, etc - general motor control).

Once you accept the process, you should notice the decision process can not be automatic (unless you make the change without regard for the situation around you - as in no thinking is required - then the bottom of the brain can take over straight away).

The top of the brain is always presented with more information than it can handle. Always. And as a result, it has to choose what to consider - what is important to the situation at hand. And I guess that is what you call your momentary lapse - the inability of the brain to recongise the situation around it and then to choose to respond by doing something simple like putting on your indicator. Instead the bottom of the brain kicks in, and simply attempts to do the automatic motor control bit.

Some people might be able to have the turning of the indicator on being controlled by the bottom of the brain as well - but it also means they will be stuck turning it on in the same situation without being able to think about it. So there are pros and cons.

This was so coherent, and so totally logical, that I can't reconcile the placement of said response within Kiddiebiker.co.nz...

Just a question, to lower the tone - when I'm rooting dumb chicks, is it the bottom or top brain doing the thinking? It always seems to get me in trouble, so I'm sure it can't be higher thinking?...

reggie1198
1st June 2012, 20:52
I was given a warning tonight, thankfully, was in an 80kph zone, saw the cop looked down at the speedo....ah shit, checked mirrors, her brake lights came on and she was turning, the disco lights came on and I pulled over and waited for her to arrive. She gets out and just says 110, I'm like " ah shit that's going to cost me." long weekend and all. She takes my license and goes to the car, checks a few things, and then instead of pulling out the ticket book she write in a diary, when she gets out again and says I'm NOT going to give you a ticket today, just a warning, I could have hugged her (she was easy on the eye as well)
Thank you to her for using some discretion, and it (probably) won't happen again.
I also got the "why you shouldn't speed speech" which is much easier to listen to when you know you're not getting a big fine and points.
Stay safe out there, and to the cops on this forum who are on duty over the next few days, I hope you have a boring and crash free weekend.

Cheers
Reggie