PDA

View Full Version : Replacing helmet/jacket on home and contents insurance?

Devil
13th March 2012, 12:48
Well I tried searching because I know the topic has come up before, but I cant find the damn things!

I'm in the unfortunately position of having to replace my jacket and helmet after an off. I dont have the extension on my bike policy so I am going to use the house contents policy.

Any tips/tricks/arguments to use in this situation when dealing with the insurance company (AA)?

Anything words or phrases to specifically NOT use?

nodrog
13th March 2012, 13:07

Wheelstand, speeding, Valentino Rossi.

I would got to your freindly motorcycle shop and get a quote for the replacement value first. Then argue with your insurance company from there.

And I would be claiming it as sporting equipment not clothing.

Devil
13th March 2012, 13:25

Under the premise that sporting equipment would be replaced new for old, whereas clothing is 'current value'?
Sensible. Ta.

13th March 2012, 13:30
I once dropped my near new Arai RX7RR Corsair helmet. Went to the bike shop and got a quote for replacement. They even rang my insurance and under home content organised it all for me. Insurance tried to argue that the helmet was old and we were able to prove it that it was the current model and only 6mnths old. then they tried to get the shop to fix it (replacement vents, etc) which the shop flat out refused for obvious safety reasons. The Insurance finally agreed and payed for the new lid minus access fee. Then they asked for the old helmet back so they could auction it off to some poor sod in order to recover their money. The shop made sure that it went back in an unusable condition, straps cut off and with a big visable crack on the side. That will fix the stingy fuckers :laugh:

Tigadee
13th March 2012, 13:35
Then they asked for the old helmet back so they could auction off to some poor sod in order to recover their money.

:facepalm: Amazing that they can even think of that! :blink:

13th March 2012, 13:38
:facepalm: Amazing that they can even think of that! :blink:

You would be amazed at what items I have seen at the insurance auctions :facepalm:

placidfemme
13th March 2012, 13:43
Hey, I had the same issue a few years back when my home and contents were with BNZ. They claimed my helmet as "Sports Equipment" and refused to pay out. I got a letter from my local bike shop (Red Baron) at that time stating as I used my bike for commuting not racing my helmet was actually "Safety Equipment". They paid me out.

So maybe on the claim form if you put Safety Equipment it will be more possible they pay out.

Just my 2c.

Good luck!

Devil
13th March 2012, 13:50
Policy does say Sporting Equipment is covered. Exceptions are anything that is being used in a timed or race event (which it wasn't).

wickle
13th March 2012, 14:00
Good luck with the AA mate , I had to claim for gear that was stolen, many phone calls an emails over my claim that it was safety equip to theirs that it was clothing. They what receipts from four years ago proof that i had paid "cash" for some items , renewal of insurance policy's and membership is due soon!

Devil
13th March 2012, 14:08
Fortunately I shouldn't have to worry about the receipts thing because I still have the gear in my hands, albeit damaged!

Sucks to hear.

Bassmatt
13th March 2012, 14:15
How bad is the damage? I wouldnt be surprised if they offered to pay to have it repaired rather than replaced.

13th March 2012, 14:16
How bad is the damage? I wouldnt be surprised if they offered to pay to have it repaired rather than replaced.

Helmets should never be repaired!!!!! :no:

Bassmatt
13th March 2012, 14:27
Helmets should never be repaired!!!!! :no:

Was only referring to the jacket.

placidfemme
13th March 2012, 14:27

You can't repair helmets, if it were possible the helmet would need to be returned to the shop it was purchased from, then from the shop to the supplier, then from the supplier to either the manufacturer or another supplier, and with mass production as it is, why would they? Which is why every helmet manufacturer recommends replacing a damaged helmet, never head of one instance where a helmet has been professionally repaired. The price in shipping along from one source to the next would almost on its own justify buying a new one.

Edit: Just saw above post. Nevermind

baffa
13th March 2012, 15:22
Who are you insured with? Many companies will cover the gear based on present value. Not great, but better than nothing at all.

YellowDog
13th March 2012, 15:40
Mmmmm..............

I was told that my helmet and gear are considered as consumables.

Helmets should be changed every 2 years and gear, when it starts to wear thin.

Wasn't happy.

Didn't renew insurance with them :no:

p.dath
13th March 2012, 15:56
I had them name it on my contents policy. However unlike the rest of the policy which is "replacement" value, the bike gear is only "market value", but at least I know exactly where I stand.

Oakie
13th March 2012, 18:08
Dunno. There's usually a clause something along the lines of the product not being covered if it was damaged while being used for it's intended purpose. Sort of like having a fishing rod ... if you back over it in the car it's covered, if it breaks while you're fighting a fish it's not covered. If I was the insurer I'd say "you bought the gear to protect you in a crash. You damaged it in a crash which so it was performing it's designed purpose which is what you wanted it to do so it's not covered". On the other hand ... if you tell the insurer you backed over it in the car...

Swoop
13th March 2012, 18:24
Well I tried searching because I know the topic has come up before, but I cant find the damn things!
Some time ago I suggested an "insurance" sub-forum here, as it affects the majority of riders in one way or another. Alas the mod's didn't see it worthy enough.

EnzoYug
13th March 2012, 18:50
Guys. This is simple. I've been there, done that, had the t-shirt replaced.

You had an accident. During this accident your clothing including a jacket used for motorcycling, and a helmet and pants and boots were all destoryed. They WILL be covered under home and contents unless you were partaking in, say (possibly) a track day or other sporting event.

The clothes are not "Sports Equipment" they are not subjected to wear and tear beyond your own physical movements. ASB, underwritten by IAG has stood by this for over 10 years. If someone tries to call 'bullshit' on your payout, argue and politely request to talk to the manger, managers manager, and so until until they recognize that you're burning more of their money on phone calls and emails than a payout would.

I would be surprised if it came to that however.

Keep it simple. A motorcycle accident destroyed your clothing. You want it replaced.

dogsnbikes
13th March 2012, 19:03

I'm in the unfortunately position of having to replace my jacket and helmet after an off. I dont have the extension on my bike policy so I am going to use the house contents policy.

Any tips/tricks/arguments to use in this situation when dealing with the insurance company (AA)?

Depends on whom your with, My geasr is covered under contents insurance and helmets are full replacement as standard...riding gear is covered under clothing so will be market value,but saying that if you can prove that your gear was in better condition then there age chart indicates they will pay accorddingly in your favour well that has been my experience in the past....

Who am I with hmmm not sure really but is done through Psis but think IAG are the underwriters

Devil
14th March 2012, 08:32
Guys. This is simple. I've been there, done that, had the t-shirt replaced.

The clothes are not "Sports Equipment" ....................

Keep it simple. A motorcycle accident destroyed your clothing. You want it replaced.

The issue here is that the policy will replace new for old if it is sports equipment (ie. no depreciation having to be considered). Clothing however is 'Current value' ie, depreciation and wear and tear accounted for.

Might not be able to get away with the jacket as being sports equipment. It's about a year old and retails for $665, but in perfect condition (crash damage excepted). Surely you cant call a helmet 'clothing' however...

Devil
14th March 2012, 11:20
Ah well, claim lodged. Waiting for the guy with the barbed wire baseball bat to call me tomorrow and see how much he can shaft me.

actungbaby
14th March 2012, 13:13
Wheelstand, speeding, Valentino Rossi.

I would got to your freindly motorcycle shop and get a quote for the replacement value first. Then argue with your insurance company from there.

my dad claimed on my poilcy for me on my behave i was young back then he even riped up good suit said was wearing it hehe that aside my helmet was damaged and jacket

and they paid out after saying about having to get helmet tested but even knew then testing you have to destroy in process

Oscar
14th March 2012, 13:58
my dad claimed on my poilcy for me on my behave i was young back then he even riped up good suit said was wearing it hehe that aside my helmet was damaged and jacket

and they paid out after saying about having to get helmet tested but even knew then testing you have to destroy in process

So you're admitting to insurance fraud?
On behalf of people whose premiums are increasing as the result of shit like this, may I be the first to say: "Fuck you very much".

14th March 2012, 14:39
On behalf of people whose premiums are increasing as the result of shit like this, may I be the first to say: "Fuck you very much".

+1 :finger:

St_Gabriel
15th March 2012, 19:00

+1 as well but shouldn't it be "fuck very much you"