PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic for sale

smmudd83_1999
13th March 2012, 15:27
259690259691259692259693259694259695Greetings, everybody. Up for sale is my 1996 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic.
This particular model is in pretty good condition,. As you can see from the photos it comes with lots of goodies. A lot of it comes as standard to the 1500 Classic – e.g. the saddlebags, but this one comes with additional bits and bobs – sissy bar, luggage rack, spot lights, passenger has footboards too, engine crash bars, highway pegs (only useful if you’re over 6’6”), alarm, Harley-style lockable ignition, extra tachometer, handlebar-mounted clock (needs battery, ahem) and it comes with cruise control (which I removed – works by locking the throttle grip to a given position, so nothing clever to take gradient into account. Releases with use of front brake lever or clamp release. I removed it as I don’t think holding the throttle open is much of a strain and my mates got bored of my “Look, No Hands!” antics. Accident waiting to happen, I tell you).
This bike also has the added boon (- or indeed boom) of Vance and Hines pipes, 2-1 system. Sounds sweet. Not massively raucous, I would describe it as the right side of anti-social. I note that there has been records of the bike being dyno-tuned at Motomart in Lower Hutt (it only makes 60bhp, but gobfulls of torque) and the original airbox and carb needles will be included. I have no idea where the original pipes are. Not that you want them.
I bought this bike in the August of 2010 when I first emigrated to NZ from England. I wanted something comfy for my wife and I, reliable, shaft driven, and something different from anything I’ve previously owned. It also has a rubber-mounted engine so not as vibey as some of the big twin cam HD’s. Being new to NZ we would use this bike to see a bit of the country. Job done. Now it’s time to get something nimbler for everyday use. And we just bought a house so I’m looking to sell this juggernaut of a bike and getting a smaller (400-1000cc) bike that’s a bit cheaper to free up some funds as the house needs a DIY tidy up.
This is a lot of bike for the money and it must be near the bottom of its depreciation curve. Sensible buy.
This was a Japanese model. The AA report is incorrect – it says the bike is a 1995 but the engine and frame numbers correspond to factory numbers of a 1996 D1 which I believe to be correct. The bike was imported from Japan in 2006 with 30k kms on the clock. This was done by Motomart on behalf of the next owner, who then sold it back to Motomart after four years and spending about $4000 on accessories for a trade-in on a VTX 1800. I first noticed the bike for sale in March 2010 for $9000, then when I emigrated I noticed it was for sale at a reduced $8500. I haggled it down to $8000.
The only thing I have had done to it other than regular servicing is a replacement of the battery –it was due for replacement anyway and then I left the lights on, after charging I noticed it didn’t seem to hold charge too well- and I had a puncture so the rear inner tube (remember those?) has been replaced. That’s the only trouble I’ve had. When I bought it the oil & filter was changed. It has also had the fork oil changed and the brakes bled. I have had another service since (oil, oil filter, cleaned air filter, 4x new spark plugs – 2 per pot, replace coolant, change rear diff oil, carb tune up). So it’s been serviced 2000 kms ago and maybe 2000km before that. Before my ownership it had clutch springs and plates renewed at 50k and dyno set up for the exhaust at 54k. Beforehand it’s just regular servicing. Mileage is now 61290km.
What else?... there are spots of rust starting to appear on the front mudguard and engine bars. A bit on the luggage rack….there’s a scratch on the tank (leather jacket zipper?)… overall condition is pretty neat and it still shines and turns heads.
I’ve tried to give a full “warts and all” description – I think this is a very honest sale. Serious enquiries are welcome (Queen’s English only please – no “txt spk, thx m8”) and you are more than welcome to come and view the bike. In fact I insist. I think first to see will end up buying. It’s rego’d and WOF’d so come have a look. Don’t bother with a van as it’s ready to ride down to Invercargill if you wish. Test rides are welcome so long as you prove you can pay $6500. Drop it and it’s yours.
Now down to the nitty gritty – I’m asking $6500. I won’t take daft offers just because you are offering cash. What else were you going to pay me in?- Chopsticks? I’m in no crazy rush to sell so if I don’t get the offer I want it’s a great excuse to keep it. Price firm unless you have a lesser motorcycle meeting the aforementioned criteria that’s actually ride able, legal and not a botched up shambles with at least $3k my way.
Have a look at other VL 1500 Intruders, VN 1500 Vulcans, Harley Davidson twin cam 1340 or 1450’s and compare. I think I have seen a few VN 1500’s go for cheaper but they are the earlier -A, -B, or -C models that are hideous. There was a D1 1500 Classic advertised for $6k recently but info on it was lacking and it didn’t have the same bells and whistles as this one. There are the odd 1400 Intruders around for a bit cheaper, maybe $5k but again not the same league. This might be the best value large capacity cruiser around (in my humble opinion) and someone out there will get a good deal.

Contact me (Stuart) via smmudd83_1999@yahoo.co.uk or 0220241469

Brayden
14th March 2012, 14:30
Great wall of china

smmudd83_1999
15th March 2012, 07:58
Great wall of china

eh? Perhaps you meant to post on the IPENZ structural discipline forum?

DanM
8th September 2012, 19:26
I would love to come see this bike, it'll have to be a weekend though as I'll have to fly down to Welly from Auckland to view it. I love the ad, it gives a good idea of what to expect, and as such I am very interested in it.

AllanB
8th September 2012, 22:46
F-me where did the years go? 1996 - really, I remember desiring one of those rides - I had plans to strip it down to a tidy, rowdy bobber.

Nice example.

smmudd83_1999
10th September 2012, 09:28
sorry pal, I sold it unseen to a guy who lived up near Paeroa. Then I bought an SV1000 (that was actually more expensive so I didn't release any funds really). Good luck with your hunt!