PDA

View Full Version : Chance of a lifetime: YOU can decide on New Zealand's new bike magazine!

Conquiztador
16th March 2012, 22:17
This is your chance. There is this new group with unlimited amount of dollars. They want to start a bike magazine in New Zealand. But have no idea how it should look like, what should be in it.

Tell them what a bike magazine should look like.

What should be in it.

What should not be in it.

Who should be doing the writing, taking the pics.

What do you REALLY want to read about.

What will make you buy the magazine and not only read it at your mates place.

Tell them what will make this magazine a success where others have failed!

nzspokes
16th March 2012, 22:22
This is your chance. There is this new geoup with unlimited amount of dollars.

They need a good spell check program.:facepalm:

Conquiztador
16th March 2012, 22:29
They need a good spell check program.:facepalm:

Thank you for your in-depth input. I will make sure they get staff who do spell checks. :-)

Nzpure
16th March 2012, 23:38
my 2c is articles on and reviews on older bikes aswell as new. I dont mean a 88 zzr or anything but reviews on 2001 gsxr or on the tl1000r as some of us cannot afford to buy the latest bike it would be nice to read about bikes a little older aswell as the new stuff.

GrayWolf
17th March 2012, 00:52
Actually I think an 'occasional' article on pre 2000 bikes would be a good read, Not just 'classics' like the Z1, H1 CB750sohc etc, but bikes that are commonplace ZZR/CBR/GSX etc and how they have stood the test of time for 'ageing of cycleparts and common faults of long term ownership'. Some of these older machines are still a viable ride as you can pick up 15+ yr old machines with very low K's on them.

What for me on a personal level is of far more value for tests of new/ latest machines in not just the BHP/top speed/standing 1/4; but real world performance such as top 3 gears roll on at 80 to 130 kph, comfort, stability on a variety of road surfaces. I know to many, it's the ego of the fastest/latest/loudest/trickest ancillaries; but there is also a need to evaluate a bike in the real world environment. So if it handles like a sack of dog turd on back roads where the surface is less than 100% or the power delivery is simply not good for 'real term performance' we can see an honest evaluation.

Apparel evaluation for rain resistance, sweating, fit, fastenings on a long term basis would I think be useful. Things like velcro and stud popper fastenings on pants/jackets, leakage (how quickly they allow rain through) is all information that as a 365 rider I would find of value.

Brian d marge
17th March 2012, 01:00
Whats a magazine?

where do you download them from ?

Stephen

grusomhat
17th March 2012, 08:25
Unlimited dollars? I believe to run a successful bike magazine they need to be giving away bikes every week.

Nzpure
17th March 2012, 08:33
or just decent give aways every mag anyways...Bikes would be excellent!

Bassmatt
17th March 2012, 08:49
Have a description or a least a couple of words to accompany ALL the photos. So many times i see interesting photos with articles, and would like to know where it is or what they are doing in it, but alas no words with them.

nzspokes
17th March 2012, 09:27
Probably best not to be an expensive advert for bike makers. Do real reviews. And do stuff on fixing up old bikes. How many people can afford new bikes each year? So maybe reviews on bikes from 5/10/15 years ago and whats a good buy now as a used bike.

And you need to answer the important questions like how and who do you wave to?, is clutchless shifting ok, how to handle wind, whats the fastest 250?

Scuba_Steve
17th March 2012, 09:46
This is your chance. There is this new group with unlimited amount of dollars. They want to start a bike magazine in New Zealand. But have no idea how it should look like, what should be in it.

Tell them what a bike magazine should look like. - A A4 size gloss paper book

What should be in it. - Motorbikes

What should not be in it. - Cars & Govt

Who should be doing the writing, taking the pics. - Someone that wants to & is good at it

What do you REALLY want to read about. - read?, read?, oh thats the thing you do to destroy your eyes isn't it

What will make you buy the magazine and not only read it at your mates place. - ummm

Tell them what will make this magazine a success where others have failed! - not failing

In more serious tho, tips n tricks & how-to guides are things I like to see & will have me picking up a mag usually. Not everyone is a natural born mechanic, or knows all the tips & tricks so a new how-to or tip/trick in each one could be a good thing.
Also as GreyWolf said a "used bike review" is also a good thing, how well do bikes last, what faults should you be aware of when looking for used bikes etc sorta like the Dog & Lemon guide but for bikes

mossy1200
17th March 2012, 10:26
less than 10% advertising.Everything advertised must contain Mag discount rate(no exception)
Tyre reviews.
Used bike reviews.
New bike reviews.
Maintence tips.
Build projects and custom build bikes.Prize drawn when finished to mag serial number.
Large race reviews even for budget classes.
Full reviews of Motorbike Rallys.
Day Ride reviews on every interesting NZ road and trail.

AD345
17th March 2012, 10:49
No dirt/adventure bikes

No sports bikes

No scooters

No racing

No streetfighters

No bikes with trailers

I'll think of more later

Jay GTI
17th March 2012, 10:52
Thank you for your in-depth input. I will make sure they get staff who do spell checks. :-)

It's a loose way of making a valid point. I understand that few local bike journalists follow the traditional path of a degree in English or Journalism, but grammar and spelling in NZ magazines can be atrocious. Most contributors are bike nuts that just happen to have figured out how to string a few sentences together, but sometimes articles are so badly written it hurts my brain trying to figure out what they are trying to say.

While we're on the subject, it may just be my personal preference, but please remind any regular contributors that there is only one Jeremy Clarkson, we don't need irreverent humour in every article.

Group tests would be awesome, but I know this is very hard to do in NZ. It's the one thing that really lacks in DRD, but I appreciate that it's a logistical nightmare.

paturoa
17th March 2012, 11:00
For new bikes meaningful comparisons with existing bikes in their class. For example weigh the bikes and do a table to compare their key measures. Current mags mostly review the bike on its own merrits.

The reviews I read in the nz bike mags are all glowing. Where are the commentaries of the "ordinary" aspects of the bikes being tested.

There are bugger all reviews of the "new" bike brands.

I suspect that it is hard in nz to do "shootout" side by side comparisons of bikes. But that isn't a reason not to. I don't recall the last time I saw one.

What would make me buy a bike mag is a subscription that enabled me to log in to an on-line environment, to view a whole bunch more photos supporting the review, where I could trawl back issues.

More reader articles on their trips. I see KR is starting to do this more. These are good.

Edit: oh and let me review the bikes!

martybabe
17th March 2012, 11:16
I concur with most here, I'm fed up of reading about the latest metal with a two horsepower gain over the last one, pick up a rival magazine and it's the same three reviews as the one you just chucked out.

Buyers guides to older models would part me from my dollar, running riding and living with an FJ1200 for example, are they a good buy still?, how much should I pay?, what are the common problems to look out for?, how fast are they?

The thing would write itself, a quick survey of past and present riders for their experiences and a dip into the archives for stats and issues, bingo an interesting article with facts about a bike I might like to buy and can afford.

New models too, always interested but some long termers. A quick blat around the block and some well timed sweeteners from the manufacturers for the mag doesn't interest me, if something is rubbish I'd like a heads up before I spend My money, likewise if it's brilliant.

Tips on maintenance, riding tips, issues that affect us like rego, new laws, the Police safety initiatives:laugh:

Reviews on good affordable gear and where to get it from .

In short, get a few issues of 'Bike' 'Ride' and one of those sporty ones use the good stuff.

GrayWolf
17th March 2012, 12:44
oh and for me one critical little 'aside'.... bias!!
I do enjoy reading road tests where a group with different preferences ride 2-3 bikes over a weekend 'fang'. What I dont enjoy is Peter Penishead who is only interested in the latest Ichifanni XBRZ1200 CCIEXUP turbo, deciding that as it doesnt fit his 'bias' its a pile of shit. Lets have reviewer who will give HONEST appraisal of any bike. Example it may be a Boulevard ridden by an R1 preference tester, but at least have riders who can evaluate the cycle for what it is....

I agree with Martybabes thoughts on 'sweetner reviews that are really sponsored? sales pitches.......
lets also have a few reviews and 'shootouts' where sometimes a group of (example) modern sports tourers like the Kawasaki Concours etc may well find a 'venerable' classic like an FJ/ZZR/CBR/RF/GS among them... we dont/wouldnt expect to read how amazing the new/old ones are per se... but it would be good information to see in real terms how things have progressed and where, as well as to see in 'real use' terms how small/big the gap between them is.........

flyingcrocodile46
17th March 2012, 17:18
Stories about key people (and company history) involved in bike development, racing, culture, milestone moments and events in the history of motorcycles etc Especially glimpses of some of the personalities of characters like Pops Yoshimura etc. Going about it gradually but with a bit of planing should provide the time to get permissions to borrow some excerpts from authors of a good range of material already written.

It could be looked at as a periodic release of parts of a really big encyclopedia of Motorcycle history as much or even more than bikes models. That could be a way to gain regular subscribers even when the rest of the mag is borderline fluff, piffle and advertising. Might take a bit of organisation to come up with a usable set of index categories so that they could be sorted out of sequence as written, so you could have lots of flexibility about time shots and categories.

17th March 2012, 17:33
Whats a magazine?

where do you download them from ?

Stephen

hmmmmm I would like to see your eyes in a few years time, I bet you allready are wearing glasses!

Maha
17th March 2012, 17:51
A 'Where Are They Now' article...interview with past NZ bike racers...track/road/dirt and oval.
Even one interview every 2-3 issues would be suffice.

Nzpure
17th March 2012, 17:58
I'm a commodore nut aswell as a bike nut i have a sub to street commodores..It would be a good mag to model from. Has old stuff new stuff, history, home builds, rallys (car equivalent) shoot outs and interviews of every day drivers aswell as the famous racers. I think it would be a excellent mag to model from or at least pinch ideas lol.

kiwi cowboy
17th March 2012, 18:05
less than 10% advertising.Everything advertised must contain Mag discount rate(no exception)
Tyre reviews.
Used bike reviews.
New bike reviews.
Maintence tips.
Build projects and custom build bikes.Prize drawn when finished to mag serial number.
Large race reviews even for budget classes.Full reviews of Motorbike Rallys.

Agree with all that but espeicly the budget class reviews.

Flip
17th March 2012, 18:06
1, T+A
2, No sports bikes.
3, No dirt bikes.
4, Technical sections on fuel, tyres, suspension, oils, chains, tools,tuning, machining, performance parts, coms, vid.
5, Propper maintenance not just "take it to the agent" crap.
6, Vintage bikes.
7, Custom bikes.
8 Touring section.
9, More T+A.

Nzpure
17th March 2012, 18:09
1, T+A
2, No sports bikes.
3, No dirt bikes.
4, Technical sections on fuel, tyres, suspension, oils, chains, tools,tuning, machining, performance parts, coms, vid.
6, Vintage bikes.
7, Custom bikes.
8 Touring section.
9, More T+A.

:facepalm:PFFF vintage bikes cool, your customs belong in tank magazines although a modern tank would out manoeuvre them :weird:....

Swoop
17th March 2012, 19:14
There would have to be a weekly update on the latest waving methods and who to wave to/who not to wave to.

Also, the latest trend in tassle fashion/colours.

Sharry
17th March 2012, 19:17
There is a load of relevant ideas here. I would be very interested in reviews regarding NZ events. Kiwirider is doing this and although I do like reading about events and riders overseas I do find it far more interesting to read baout local events and riders.
Also as year round daily rider I would like to see more talk about riding gear and it's various qualities. Also which tyres for which bike, road, and weather in NZ.

Sharry
17th March 2012, 19:22
Also bike extras, the qualities and differences of various heated hand grips, scott oilers, map reading devices, bike bling etc and luggage.

quickbuck
17th March 2012, 22:15
I will be the forth voter for local Racing content, and Especially Budget Classes.
Racer Profiles will be great too.
I mean (for example) It was mentined that Sam Croft (Current Championship leader of ProLite's) is a relativly unknown racer before he did the nationals.
But, the Vic Club knew him well, and have seen him race for a few seasons now.
To be fair there is no where that he would really get well known prior to going to the nationals, UNLESS somebody did an article on him, in a national magazine...

Also, more tips on basic motorcycle maintenance wouldn't hurt either.
I'm sure some riders wait 6 months before looking at their chain.... Okay, the WOF inspector looks at it for them!

I agree with putting in some tests of older bikes too.

Badgerclarke
17th March 2012, 22:48
The practical and real world elements from Ride and the writing, reviews and stories from Bike would be a good start. In summary, as someone has already said the best bits of those two mags with a NZ twist. I stopped buying bike mags over here as I'm fed up reading the same reviews of the same bikes and looking at the same advertising.

Nzpure
17th March 2012, 23:24
There would have to be a weekly update on the latest waving methods and who to wave to/who not to wave to.

Also, the latest trend in tassle fashion/colours.

The waving issue is certainly an important one.

Conquiztador
17th March 2012, 23:50
Keep it up guys, you are doing well!

Personally I like to read about bikers. A story on an interesting individual. No need to be a famous one. There is some very interesting bike riders in this country that would keep us all spellbound reading their tales. Add a few pictures of their bikes and perhaps a pic or two from their own collection of memories.

I also like reports from bike parties. But it is a very talented writer that can find new ways of telling them, as if he/she does not watch it they soon become very much the same.

Add a article re a project. This can be in one go or in a few following issues as the bike develops. I always find it interesting to see how people solve some of the issues and perhaps I learn something too...

Write ups about some of the MCC, SC and MC that we have in NZ. Good way for them to make them self known and perhaps find new members.

No need to have anything from overseas. That is what the overseas magazines are for.

slowpoke
18th March 2012, 01:13
Bike mags in NZ shouldn't try to be a replica of the big overseas mags, no way can they compete with their budget or access to the latest news and bikes. One thing they can do MUCH better than O/S mags is target Kiwi news, conditions, bikes, events, racing, etc. I was out of the country for nearly 20 years yet I know of some farkin' cool bikes and people in NZ that could/should be written about:

Honda AFC CR500 (alloy framed CR500 2 stroke)
Ducati 996RS (Factory Ducati superbike)
Moto Guzzi MGS-01
Self built V8 cruiser
Vincent Rapide
GW's Bimota YB8
GW's SVR650 (Kiwi built CrMo tube frame)
Shaun Donelly's luvverly Z1000 race bike
Damian Mackie's as new RG500 race bike
Kane Veltman's (?) cool bare bones R90 (?) BMW mongrel which proves ya don't need pockets full of cash to have fun.
Any one of Kevin Grant's stunning bike collection.
A mate in Oz has a NOS'd M109 (NOS was also fitted to his previous Cagiva Raptor), and we must all know some weird and wonderful rides out there.

Ray Clee is NZ's winningest race bike builder and a great racer in his own right, so how 'bout a peek inside his head/workshop?
Same for guys like Spyda, Billy, Tim Gibbes etc etc who have been around the traps since Adam had training wheels.
Or the Ross (John/Larry) family.
Not to mention in depth write ups on Andrew Stroud, Brian Bernard, Choppa, Craig Shirriffs, Hayden Fitzgerald, Tony Rees, Shayne/Darryl King, Josh Coppins, Stefan Merriman etc who have done well not just in NZ but overseas.
Or some of the faces behind Suzuki NZ, Blue Wing Honda etc (guys like Paul Stewart who are also actively involved in our sport)

Has anybody done a decent interview with Peter Clifford while he's in the country? With his history in the upper echelons of 500GP/MotoGP and given all the hype around CRT it'd be a criminal waste not to hear a few of his thoughts.

Get the inside scoop race report from one of the NZSBK race teams. Not just a press release but a nuts and bolts/blow by blow write up of what happens behind the scenes to put together a championship effort. Put the reader in amongst it.

Same for organising the Tri-Series/Cemetery Circuit/Burt Munro. Give us a blog on the trials and tribulations of organising something like that, might be some help come outta the woodwork, not to mention it's good promotion for the event.

How about Kiwi's doing amazing things Overseas? Brook Henry started up Vee Two and became one of the world's leading Ducati tuner's, Jeff Nash of Boulder Motorsports, Mike Webb MotoGP Technical Director etc etc.

And just for the record, I couldn't give a fuck about the spelling or what apostrophe goes where, this is a bike magazine not "Anorak Monthly".

DEATH_INC.
18th March 2012, 07:23
I think you need to be either a road mag, or a dirt mag, not both (unless it's 2 mags...).
I like tech stuff, the latest shock/fork/frame/engine etc developments, but the next guy will be bored to death with it.
Same as I don't wanna read about bob's trip to the pub down the road, though that's exactly what some of ya want.

It's farkin hard, all I'd say is don't try to cover everything, it means too much of the mag won't appeal to the readers. Stick with a smaller variety that will develop a core following that will stay with ya and buy every month.

Bikemad
18th March 2012, 07:33
Tyre reviews.
Used bike reviews.
New bike reviews.
Maintence tips.

what he said and what about some Tits in there somewhere.............oh and a decent font size would be helpfull

slowpoke
18th March 2012, 07:34
I think you need to be either a road mag, or a dirt mag, not both (unless it's 2 mags...).
I like tech stuff, the latest shock/fork/frame/engine etc developments, but the next guy will be bored to death with it.
Same as I don't wanna read about bob's trip to the pub down the road, though that's exactly what some of ya want.

It's farkin hard, all I'd say is don't try to cover everything, it means too much of the mag won't appeal to the readers. Stick with a smaller variety that will develop a core following that will stay with ya and buy every month.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Pick your niche and do it well, rather than do a crap job trying to cover everything.

The Lone Rider
18th March 2012, 08:16
Dunno about content. But I think if you somehow managed to cover absolutely everything everyone wanted - all I can say is good luck getting a NZer to spend money on it! :facepalm:

mossy1200
18th March 2012, 10:17
what he said and what about some Tits in there somewhere.............oh and a decent font size would be helpfull

my bad forgot Tits and add 3d goggles for the tits also.

GrayWolf
18th March 2012, 10:33
I am a little bemused by the immense 'facination/requirement' for shitloads of race write ups...
I get it, that there are many who race, go to races etc.... but I find that on average 50% of most mags are given over to racing (road and dirt). I may be a minority, but lots of race writing in a mag for 'road riders' is going to keep my money in my pocket... We need a good balance agreed, but thats it, let's keep it balanced! projects, rebuilds, modification kiwi style? That'd interest most people here I'd guess. There's things like the Carberry V twin from Oz, the 535cc fireball Enfield. Those sort of specials are interesting as they are right up the Burt Munro/Kiwi school of building. Often specials get a short 1-2 page write up, it would be great to see a full road test and review of these builders pride and joy.

tigertim20
18th March 2012, 11:53
my 2c is articles on and reviews on older bikes aswell as new. I dont mean a 88 zzr or anything but reviews on 2001 gsxr or on the tl1000r as some of us cannot afford to buy the latest bike it would be nice to read about bikes a little older aswell as the new stuff.

this is something I totally agree with. sure, lots of people buy new bikes, but the majority of us are looking at bikes in the 4-9 year old bracket. some reviews on tidy examples of bikes in those brackets along with info on good, cost effective mods, relevant market values of such bikes etc etc.

New bikes are nice and all, and I go to demo days and ride them, because most of the time its the only way I will get near one, I dont have 20k+ to drop on a new bike.

flyingcrocodile46
18th March 2012, 12:19
I am a little bemused by the immense 'facination/requirement' for shitloads of race write ups...
I get it, that there are many who race, go to races etc.... but I find that on average 50% of most mags are given over to racing (road and dirt). I may be a minority, but lots of race writing in a mag for 'road riders' is going to keep my money in my pocket... We need a good balance agreed, but thats it, let's keep it balanced! projects, rebuilds, modification kiwi style? That'd interest most people here I'd guess. There's things like the Carberry V twin from Oz, the 535cc fireball Enfield. Those sort of specials are interesting as they are right up the Burt Munro/Kiwi school of building. Often specials get a short 1-2 page write up, it would be great to see a full road test and review of these builders pride and joy.

AAA+ Couldn't agree more. I like watching the racing on Sky but I would sooner watch paint dry, than read yet another bloody race bike/rider article (that are already featured very often in all the other NZ mags).

Swoop
18th March 2012, 13:20
The waving issue is certainly an important one.
One would be rather silly to ignore it.:shifty:

[serious mode]Articles on SHEDS. Bikers have some bloody interesting shit in their shed (bikes, bike bits, porn, machinery, projects, etc) and regular articles could appear on this topic. [/serious mode]

Hitcher
18th March 2012, 13:45
I'd like a bike magazine that does proper, honest ride reviews. That shit that the Paul Owens of this world write gives me the absolute fucking yahs. Doyen of motoring writers my arse.

Owning a bike isn't just about the image. Not all bikes are owned by fair weather cafe cruisers. Quite a few bikers ride with pillions or luggage. But when was the last time you saw a write up of somebody who took their better half away for a weekend when the weather had the audacity to sprinkle some rain around or blow a bit?

As an example, I offer the Honda ST1300. Regaled by some as the doyen of sports touring motorcycles. Where is a review written by somebody who took this steed away to do what a sports tourer is supposed to do? If there had been one, Mr Honda may have sorted the locking system for the panniers. Where's the review of somebody who may have ridden one of these things in a big cross-wind? That would probably have not been published, as it would have cost Mr Honda some sales.

I'm not bashing ST1300s, rather I'm using them as an example to make a point that all bikes have short-comings that a decent reviewer should be able to sort reasonably quickly. Definitely over a weekend's worth of riding. Bike magazines are generally sucky-up, because they also need to secure advertising from manufacturers and distributors of the bikes and other products they review. Major conflict of interest. Money talks and honest assessment is the loser.

Old Steve
18th March 2012, 14:44
I just got some back issues of KiwiRider from the library and the back half of the mag is off-road which is of no interest for me. Don't off roaders buy off road mags - you can't be everything to everybody. So you have to define your target market very carefully. Road bikes, race enthusiasts, off roaders, tourers, sportsbikes, what mix of tourers/cruisers/sportsbikes within a magazine dedicated to road bikes?

I agree that reviews on 2nd hand bikes are great, yes most of us will buy a second hand/older bike. I do like Rhys Jones review and analysis of a bike from the past in KiwiRider. I've just bought a 2010 Boulevard M50, what I'd have loved to have read in the last 6 - 8 months (or been able to find on-line) was a review of the older M50 versus the new (headlight nose job) M50. Is there any noticeable change in newer bikes compared to the model they're replacing?

Yes, maintenance tips. Reviews on accessories.

I also agree with font size, there is one car magazine which uses a really small font and then compounds the problem by using a coloured type on top of a background photo where the font just disappears. White pages, large black font.

Contributions from readers, make it a competition - "Tell us about your ride/bike" with a prize (years sub?). Say a page with the reader's article and a photo (or two).

No overseas race reviews, if people are interested in overseas race results then they'll have Googled them well in advance of this magazine coming off the presses.

Review eating places, we don't just ride motorbikes we ride motorbikes somewhere to eat. Where's a good place with good food at the end of a good road - Te Hoi cafe from Tauranga is an example - maybe make that a reader contribution too.

And get some input from Joe Rider on new bikes, OK a professional motorbike journalist knows what he's talking about. But a reader will talk about how high the seat is, how comfortable it is, how confident they felt cornering/braking/with a pillion onboard. Tell me how I'd react to the bike.

flyingcrocodile46
18th March 2012, 16:28
Other bike mags do cafe write ups. I never read them. Just another page of advertising that I have no interest in. There are plenty of dinning guides available. I ride my bike to shoe shops and supermarkets from time to time. Perhaps you could do write ups about them as well. :facepalm:

Looking at the ideas coming forward I am wondering why they were offered, as most of the suggestions are already covered off by existing mags more than adequately IMO. If this is indicative of the content it seems likely that this mag will be another that I won't buy. I used to subscribe to MT, BRM and KR for about three years along with Classic Motorcycle Mechanics for the last couple. I really can't stand any of them anymore (cept CMM). The hard copy of Visor Down (very limited run) was several hundred percent better than any other bike mag I've read, but they can't make money out of it so stopped publishing it.

ducatilover
18th March 2012, 16:55
Tyre reviews.
Used bike reviews.
New bike reviews.
Maintence tips.
Agree with this.
I'd like to see one or two proper custom bikes/tricked up toys per issue, but I don't know if there are enough around?

Buying advice for n00bs, especially concerning gear.
Upcoming M/C events.

Bit of everything really :shifty:

I love new vs old comparisons (eg, an SRAD vs a later model 600/750)
I'd love more coverage on bucket racing, get that shit out there! :Punk:

mashman
18th March 2012, 17:58
unlimited $$$, build a race track.

Praps a bike swap review section. Two guys swap bikes, praps off road for sprots, scroter for hardley... mix and match etc...

"Old" racers thoughts on new road bikes.

Voltaire
19th March 2012, 07:08
Maybe more articles on racers wives, who is going out with who, before and after weight loss pictures in exotic locations, gossip, latest leather reviews..... could call it the New Zealand Bikers Weekly.:laugh:

These days given the choice between my fav mag " Classic Bike' at $16 and a six pack of craft beer...the beer wins.....then settle down with ADV rider.

Maybe they could do a 'build thread' write up on my NZCRR Beemer in the avatar...... 5 years in the making.....:yawn:

fergie
19th March 2012, 07:56
Would nz have the population to support another mag? im a magazine retailer and stock all the mainstream mags and send most of them back unsold each month, that might be because there are not many riders in my area.just my 10cents worth.

My only thought on content is i would like to see HONEST reviews of bikes and products with no regard for the almighty advertising dollar. there would not be many magazine editors brave enough to give a totally honest appraisal( ie calling it shit if it is shit!) of a product if it meant loosing revenue from the distributor thru adverts.
good luck anyway.

White trash
19th March 2012, 08:37
I'd like a bike magazine that does proper, honest ride reviews. That shit that the Paul Owens of this world write gives me the absolute fucking yahs. Doyen of motoring writers my arse

Ah-fucking-men.

Paul in NZ
19th March 2012, 09:03
Ah-fucking-men.

It will be a bloody short run then.....

The Lone Rider
19th March 2012, 09:16
Would nz have the population to support another mag? im a magazine retailer and stock all the mainstream mags and send most of them back unsold each month, that might be because there are not many riders in my area.just my 10cents worth.

+1

You won't get NZers paying for it, in printed or digital.

I have box loads of unsold bike magazines. Kiwirider, Bikerider, Easyrider, Biker, MotorcycleTrader, InTheWind, LiveToRide, HeavyDuty, Crusty, TheHorse, Barnetts, Dirt Rider

And some car ones.

Brian d marge
19th March 2012, 14:46
ok just for you seeing you owned a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

One months worth of reading for a start , but I must learn something , and it doesnt have to be about a motorcycle
but it could be how other things affect motorcycles and motorcycling , ex, how ducati use cad to design a bike
how can cad , a computer help you with you motorcycle

How to

trail rides,

wine , or beer recomendations when touring ...how to save money on beer ?

Fault diagnosis, post a motorcle fauld and some clues , and try and solve the fault

in short , something I can use and refer back to once I have bought the thing

otherwise its the hinternet for me

Stephen

oh and I like the centre spead with the half naked dolly birds .......

Iron horse had some rough ones back in the day

wanpo
19th March 2012, 15:05
Only skimmed the replies, so apologies if it's been said.

But a conversion section would be awesome e.g.
-From stock to cafe racer
-From wreck to road
-Road to track
etc.

Guides for DIY stuff, how to fix fairings, prepare for paint etc. would be cool too

ratusratus
21st March 2012, 08:58
1, T+A
2, No sports bikes.
3, No dirt bikes.
6, Vintage bikes.
7, Custom bikes.
8 Touring section.
9, More T+A.

What he said

tbs
21st March 2012, 16:22
A blanket ban on use of the term "fully adjustable suspension" in all bike reviews would be a good start.

nudemetalz
22nd March 2012, 12:11
Using a typical bike (eg GSX1400) with testing a whole bunch of similar aftermarket pipes / tyres etc to see what worked best is always good.
Real world stuff.