PDA

View Full Version : KTM 250 Motard Conversion

LankyBastard
17th March 2012, 14:22
Hey all,

Looking for some help here, I have a 2012 KTM 250 XC-F, and want a set of motard wheels so I can also take it to a couple of track days for fun. Primarily still gonna be my dirtbike, so how easy is it to have a second set of 17 inch rims and swap them over before heading to the track?

Total noob asking here so please enlighten with any info you can!

Cheers :Punk:

ktm84mxc
17th March 2012, 15:57
With a KTM it's easy you'll find the motard wheel sets pop up on Trademe regularly expect to pay between $800-1g, most will come with disc rotors, but you will need to get the right sprocket to suit the 250f. KTM's use the same hub size across their model range .

LankyBastard
18th March 2012, 09:22
Cheers for that! I found these on Torpedo 7 http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7WHSN0SM/title/torpedo7-supermoto-cnc-wheel-set-17-

Is that what i'm after? I know i'll need a disk and rear sproket, but what do you think to the wheels?

ktm84mxc
18th March 2012, 14:16
That will do the Trick, now cost in a set of tyres [I'd go for a used set 1st] , disc rotors get a wavy set you'll need the bolts also, same for the sprocket and get a chain to match,
Check out KTM's hard parts catalog for Motard parts like oggy nobs for the axles & foot peg rubbing blocks, a set of barkbusters and your good to go.

ducatilover
18th March 2012, 17:49
Make sure the disc sizes and offsets are the same. If they're the same and the hub/axle are the same, you're in for some serious fun!

LankyBastard
18th March 2012, 19:30
Awesome thanks, ordered the wheels now, when they arrive I'll get the disks/sprocket sorted. Can I run with the standard rear sprocket size and just use the same chain or will the gearing be way too low?

ktm84mxc
19th March 2012, 07:33
You'll find the EXCf came with 2 sprockets a smaller 42-45 for road work and a 48-52 for trail use, can't remember the exact for size of your bike but the sprockets are readily available fronts can be got from 12-15, it will be a compromise between acceleration and top speed.
There shud be problems re disc or sprocket spacing providing you use the standard brake sizes, you should be able to swap the wheels over in 15 minutes to make this easy buy a stand that allows both wheels to be off the ground.