PDA

View Full Version : Hello (wasiler)

wasiler
17th March 2012, 15:18
Hi folks,
I will be moving to Christchurch at the beginning of May from the U.S.... Once I get settled, I will be looking for a bike and maybe join a few of you on a ride. Maybe even do a little track time if that is even an option out there. The bikes I currently own are a duel sport and R1. I just sold my r6 trackbike and will probably be selling the r1 too because it will just be sitting when I leave. Some of your roads on google earth look sick and it will be interesting to give them a try. I am sure you guys are alright even though you drive on the wrong side of the road. :laugh: Anyway, look forward to meeting a few of you.

p.dath
17th March 2012, 15:41
The Wiki has a lot of info about motorbiking in NZ.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Main_Page

Maha
17th March 2012, 15:46
You are moving to Christchurch?..
I guess its not such a wierd thing, my daughter is moving back there from Western Australia tomorrow.

wasiler
17th March 2012, 16:12
Thanks for the link P.dath

You are moving to Christchurch?..
I guess its not such a wierd thing, my daughter is moving back there from Western Australia tomorrow.

Maha, why is it a wierd thing? Is there something I should know?

Maha
17th March 2012, 17:42
Maha, why is it a wierd thing? Is there something I should know?

Not at all wasiler...Christchurch is a lovely place....the earthquakes can't continue for ever....:confused:
I have two daughters that call Christchurch home.

FJRider
17th March 2012, 17:52
Some of your roads on google earth look sick and it will be interesting to give them a try. I am sure you guys are alright even though you drive on the wrong side of the road. :laugh: Anyway, look forward to meeting a few of you.

Sick ????? :blink:

It's YOU guys that are on the wrong side ... (and a funny accent too)

BigAl
17th March 2012, 19:45
You might be better off with an adventure bike if you're going to ChCh, to be able to jump the crevasses in the roads:pinch:

tigertim20
17th March 2012, 20:05
well welcome to KB!.
what you gonna get when you get here?
why not bring the R1?:confused:

wasiler
17th March 2012, 20:59
Not at all wasiler...Christchurch is a lovely place....the earthquakes can't continue for ever....:confused:
I have two daughters that call Christchurch home.
Well, that is why I am being called out there. I will be doing seismic designs for buildings....so I look at it like job security. :facepalm:

It's YOU guys that are on the wrong side ... (and a funny accent too)
yeah yeah yeah :shutup:

You might be better off with an adventure bike if you're going to ChCh, to be able to jump the crevasses in the roads:pinch:
You know, this is something I was afraid of. On a map they look like great twisties but, maybe not so good for a sportbike? There has got to be a couple good roads in that town.

well welcome to KB!.
what you gonna get when you get here?
why not bring the R1?:confused:
I will be there probably at the end of April or beginning of May. I thought about bringing my r1 but, was unsure about the custom duty tax. Some countries the import tax is just as much as the motorcycle. I will need to look into that closer. Seems easier just to sell it here and buy one there. Than again, if the roads are bad like BigAl stated, I might just go the dual-purpose bike route instead.

tigertim20
17th March 2012, 21:41
I will be there probably at the end of April or beginning of May. I thought about bringing my r1 but, was unsure about the custom duty tax. Some countries the import tax is just as much as the motorcycle. I will need to look into that closer. Seems easier just to sell it here and buy one there. Than again, if the roads are bad like BigAl stated, I might just go the dual-purpose bike route instead.

My wife is from the states, her stepdad brought his vfr over when they came over, I cant remember all the details, but as far as i remember you can pay fuckall as long as you keep the bike for a minimum period of time after arriving. its to prevent people just bringing stuff over and selling for profit etc etc. might be worth looking into!

p.dath
18th March 2012, 16:04
Not at all wasiler...Christchurch is a lovely place....the earthquakes can't continue for ever...

CRI have sad that residents should expect earthquakes to continue for the next 20 years. They wont be stopping any time soon ...

Maha
18th March 2012, 16:45
CRI have sad that residents should expect earthquakes to continue for the next 20 years. They wont be stopping any time soon ...

20 years is not forever....and I didn't even need Wiki...<_<

schrodingers cat
18th March 2012, 17:32
Yes, there are a few roads that have a few more bumps but that is all part of the adventure

ChCh has a great little track just out of town (Prolly 30min from anywhere) which is open for general testing/lappery every Tue and Fri at a stupidly low price
http://www.canterburycarclub.co.nz/Track/Track%20Hire.php

There is plenty of two wheeled motorsport to choose from. The club level stuff is VERY accessible

Come on over, bring the toys and have a great time.

PS - Welcome to the rebuild