PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Bandit USD front end conversion

GSF
17th March 2012, 15:50
At the moment I'm considering having a crack at a USD front end conversion on the Bandit, just for shits and giggles (also because the front end is awful). I'm looking at a pretty good deal on a complete 1993 GSXR750 front end, which quite a few other Bandit tinkerers in the States have confirmed will bolt right up (identical steering stem and bearings) with a little mucking around to fabricate steering stops and a headlight mount.

What I'm concerned about is the legality for road use. After having a look through the LVVTA threshold guide I'm still not sure, all the guidelines there were concerning modifying existing shocks whereas I am just replacing the entire front end of the bike.

Anyone done this before and run into any grief?

98tls
18th March 2012, 11:50
Just done a K5 GSXR front end on a TLS ,forks/ later radial calipers etc and had no problems with wof at all and the place i get them is generally pretty staunch with the rule book.

ducatilover
18th March 2012, 17:46
You'd be surprised at how many miss a USD front end conversion during a WOF.

I'll let you know if mine passes when it's finished... :shifty::mellow:

GSF
19th March 2012, 08:17
Cool, sounds like it shouldn't be an issue. That's what I was figuring, my local WOF place wouldn't even notice that the front end was non-standard for the bike.

You'd be surprised at how many miss a USD front end conversion during a WOF.

I'll let you know if mine passes when it's finished... :shifty::mellow:

Just go to VTNZ Mt. Roskill, last WOF time the inspector hopped on my bike to ride it up to the inspection bay... didn't make it far, I had to explain that you can't put it in gear with the side stand down :facepalm:

What are you doing a USD conversion on?

ducatilover
19th March 2012, 10:32
Cool, sounds like it shouldn't be an issue. That's what I was figuring, my local WOF place wouldn't even notice that the front end was non-standard for the bike.

Just go to VTNZ Mt. Roskill, last WOF time the inspector hopped on my bike to ride it up to the inspection bay... didn't make it far, I had to explain that you can't put it in gear with the side stand down :facepalm:

What are you doing a USD conversion on?
Had that problem with VTNZ here, guy stalled then almost threw my freshly painted bike on the ground.
Just an old ZZR600 I'm building.

yod
19th March 2012, 10:35

Had that problem with VTNZ here, guy stalled then almost threw my freshly painted bike on the ground.
Just an old ZZR600 I'm building.

Fuck.That.

They want the bike moved, I'll move it!

banditrider
19th March 2012, 18:37
Fuck.That.

They want the bike moved, I'll move it!

What he said - not even a dirty DL with crash bars...